• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Artadius

Yeah, the Idle Thumbs 'review' was pretty awful.

I hope we hear quite a bit more in depth reviews between now and next week. I don't see myself canceling my $34 Steam order... but I'll gladly change my 360 preorder over to something else (Dragon Age) if things are suspect.

Some of the complaints, if they're valid, sound fixable via a patch (AI related items) so I'm willing to invest 30 bucks towards that along with the understanding that at least for the PC version I'm sure we'll see some community modding happening.

Mrbob

I don't remember any Batman bosses standing still and not doing anything tho. :p

At the same time though, if you want to be destroyed by AI pick up Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2/ Demons Souls.

My biggest disappointment from listening to this isn't the AI, but the lack of focus in character building. Sounds like a straight up shooter with questionable AI and only miniscule diablo style character building. Nick also says the weapon variety in his playthrough (he finished the game on pc) wasn't diverse, which is strange because this is what the game was being based on.

I wish there was a demo to play.

Amneisac said:
Amazon is upsetting me a little with this no release day shipping. I have the best deal there, especially with gift credit and everything, but they're saying delivery estimate 10/22 and that's with one day shipping (prime member, paying the $3.99). I don't think I can wait those two extra days. It's killing me inside.

If it helps, I had the free super saver shipping and my copy of Brutal legend shipped at 8 o' clock Oct 12th, a day before release. The shipping estimate made it appear as if I wouldn't get the game until the 20th.

Brutal Legend probably had wayyyy more pre-orders since they offered it at 56.99 with a ten dollar credit. Most (like 80%) of my amazon shipments ship early or on time unless I'm ordering after turkey day.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
eznark said:
AI complaints always seem so strange. They are about as consistent as NFL officiating. I'm playing Batman right now and the AI is bad, but I never read about that. However in other instances, the AI becomes this massive issue.

It seems like the thing reviewers point to when they can't really explain why they don't enjoy a game.

Clearly I have no idea if it's an issue or not since I haven't played the game but I'm guessing in the end it won't bother me. If the atrocious AI in Darkest of Days didn't annoy me I can't imagine anything in Borderlands will.

The AI in Batman is batshit (hah) insane- you'd think that the 6th or 7th thug in a row would begin to understand what is going on in front of him, let alone the 30th. But it doesn't bug me at all, because the gameplay is fun and the bad AI sort of lends itself to the atmosphere (I imagine that crazed bandits will also benefit from this phenomenon). I guess it's the sort of thing that bugs some gamers more than others.

I agree, though, that I didn't see a single AA review mention its AI. The closest I came to seeing such a thing was something like "they're not smart enough to all jump on you at once, but they will use tactics and weapons." I'm like, whoa, way to give them a bit too much credit. They come at you like an assembly line :lol

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
I don't remember any Batman bosses standing still and not doing anything tho. :p

At the same time though, if you want to be destroyed by AI pick up Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2/ Demons Souls.

My biggest disappointment from listening to this isn't the AI, but the lack of focus in character building. Sounds like a straight up shooter with questionable AI and only miniscule diablo style character building. Nick also says the weapon variety in his playthrough (he finished the game on pc) wasn't diverse, which is strange because this is what the game was being based on.

I haven't listened to it yet, finishing up the worst bombcast ever first.

Also, I loved Too Human, so as long as there is some loot mechanic and limited stat building I'll be happy.

DenogginizerOS said:
I would say he (Nick) didn't have much good to say about it. That podcast pushed this game to pending status.

"Do you recommend this game?"

"Umm....well....Chris Faylor likes it and he never played Diablo so the loot mechanic feels new."

The AI issues sound to be the biggest problem. Enemies and bosses standing still while you shoot them does not sound fun.

Never played Diablo and he's a gaming journalist? WTF? That's like a food critic never having tried filet mignon. Somethings not right there...

Amneisac said:
Amazon is upsetting me a little with this no release day shipping. I have the best deal there, especially with gift credit and everything, but they're saying delivery estimate 10/22 and that's with one day shipping (prime member, paying the $3.99). I don't think I can wait those two extra days. It's killing me inside.

It appears that Amazon won't be getting the game until the street date (or whatever the slang is when they have to hold it for a day). So yeah it sucks. And it sucks even more than they still have the gall to keep it under the release-day delivery list when it obviously won't be.

Just do what I'll do. Get it at a B&M store on Tuesday then return your Amazon copy there when it arrives.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Mrbob said:

Agreed X 2. I want Borderlands to provide that moment where someone gets a new upgrade and/or gun and the "Look what I can do NOW!" factor kicks in. With all the possible gun combinations this game advertises, I am really trying to understand how they gauge variability if they really don't change how they feel or how they impact how you play.

garath

AI can be a real concern. The boss thing sounds like a bug though. I sincerely doubt it was their intention to program a boss that stands there and let's you fire rockets on it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Or that it's something that wouldn't have been caught in beta testing. Hopefully it was just a fluke missed trigger or something.

Fear my invincible soldier! :D

25hcnlg.png

Now all I need are some good reviews and I'm as good as signed up for a 4-pack. The way I see it, motion sickness is just like a phobia. In order to conquer it, you have to face your fears, right? Hell yeah I'm right.

God's Beard's foolproof 3-step plan for victory:

1. Fuck healing people.
2. Use turret to passively attack while I loot the battlefield.
3. Profit!

Philthy

Mrbob said:
Sounds like a straight up shooter with questionable AI and only miniscule diablo style character building.

Well, they have been pointing out in quite a few interviews they went from a shooter first, and added in RPG elements second. It remains to be seen how deep the game gets with stats and items, did the thumbsup guys beat the game or were those only initial impressions?

I've decided to buy it regardless. Anything with Diablo inspired loot, no matter how small of a part it plays, or how crap the game really is, makes me play for hours and hours on end. I don't know what it is, but that part of gaming just feeds into my OCD guilty pleasure node of my brain. I just end up having fun. I loved Too Human, I loved Hellgate London, I launch Diablo 2 still and love every minute of it. None of it gets boring.

BuddyC

DenogginizerOS said:
I would say he (Nick) didn't have much good to say about it. That podcast pushed this game to pending status.

"Do you recommend this game?"

"Umm....well....Chris Faylor likes it and he never played Diablo so the loot mechanic feels new."

The AI issues sound to be the biggest problem. Enemies and bosses standing still while you shoot them does not sound fun.

The Diablo part, totally not true. I've played many many hours of Diablo, especially with Nick. However, I managed to avoid losing myself in World of Warcraft, which is something we were talking about before he went off to record this week's episode.

Now, the part about liking Borderlands? That's true. I can't say anything else, of course, but I'll shamelessly plug my preview from a few weeks back: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60464

Update: Nick tells me I "didn't really 'play Diablo' though." Good to know!

Mrbob

Philthy said:
Well, they have been pointing out in quite a few interviews they went from a shooter first, and added in RPG elements second. It remains to be seen how deep the game gets with stats and items, did the thumbsup guys beat the game or were those only initial impressions?

I've decided to buy it regardless. Anything with Diablo inspired loot, no matter how small of a part it plays, or how crap the game really is, makes me play for hours and hours on end. I don't know what it is, but that part of gaming just feeds into my OCD guilty pleasure node of my brain. I just end up having fun. I loved Too Human, I loved Hellgate London, I launch Diablo 2 still and love every minute of it. None of it gets boring.

Well Nick said he finished it.

His voice only isn't the definitive word on the game, it is just a couple aspects he mentioned concerns me. I'm just hoping the looting aspect and character building isn't as limited as he makes it seem to be. I want to be constantly evolving my character and finding cool new things to tinker with.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
BuddyC said:
I've played many many hours of Diablo, especially with Nick.
Update: Nick tells me I "didn't really 'play Diablo' though." Good to know!

..?!

Philthy, you are the target audience of this game. Come to think of it, so am I. And God{'s Beard}, you've inspired me:
15n7i2d.png

Can you tell how I'll be doing most of my damage? :lol

Though I might shave some points off here and there to increase Lethal Strike, I really love using FPS melee attacks.

If/when I get my godly shotgun-pistol, I'll probably max hair trigger (fire rate+ with pistols) as well in place of riotous remedy (health regen). Also btw, ransack (the treasure chest) maxed is "100% chance to drop additional item" for any enemies killed in rapid succession. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's no embargo for this I don't think- a couple magazine reviews are already out, and Idle Thumbs' non-review review was riddled with spoilers kinda. The gaming sites are just lazy! might not even have their reviews done, I guess it is still a week til release and two weeks for the PC...

EDIT: Also, rethought my skill tree above (new pic) on seeing that maxed lethal strike gets you a 35% chance to do 500% Massive Damage with a melee attack. My bloodwing will be healing me plenty enough to not need regen... there's no way to max hair trigger with all the bloodwing skills at the same time :(

Hawkian said:
Also btw, ransack (the treasure chest) maxed is "100% chance to drop additional item" for any enemies killed in rapid succession. :D

See, that's why you should play with me. The hawk makes you immune to my habits I'll be carrying over from PSO.

cresto

Its a real crying shame I won't have money to afford this game for quite a while. I feel like that will hamper me when I want to join up with friends (i.e. getting slaughtered thx to my low ass skill level).

Cheeto

God's Beard said:
I guess I gotta find a four pack team then.

*whistles*

HEY! I NEED A 4 PACK TEAM! YOU! YEAH YOU WITH THE 2 OTHER GUYS! HOOK ME UP!
We need an organized method of getting this together...

garath

ergo said:
Its a real crying shame I won't have money to afford this game for quite a while. I feel like that will hamper me when I want to join up with friends (i.e. getting slaughtered thx to my low ass skill level).

I wouldn't worry. People are always starting new characters. Plus they could just come into YOUR game and wreck some stuff for you to get some quick levels.

Swag

Cheeto said:
We need an organized method of getting this together...

I agree :lol

Is there any type of precautions or loops to jump through when buying a 4 pack off steam and giving it to other people

Prezhulio

Mrbob said:
Nick also says the weapon variety in his playthrough (he finished the game on pc) wasn't diverse

ughhhhh that's not good to hear. still excited for the game, but i'm not quite sure how someone could get an impression like that from this game of all things. just have to wait and see what everyone else says this week (since i'm assuming reviews are going to start coming out)

poweld

Sebulon3k said:
I agree :lol

Is there any type of precautions or loops to jump through when buying a 4 pack off steam and giving it to other people
Don't deal with Junior Mem... Oh.

Look for feedback in the buy/sell/trade thread, I suppose. Having some faith in humanity help, too. About all I got for ya :)

Oh, and if you're doing the buying, request the money first before giving out the keys.

Swag

poweld said:
Don't deal with Junior Mem... Oh.

Look for feedback in the buy/sell/trade thread, I suppose. Having some faith in humanity help, too. About all I got for ya :)

Oh, and if you're doing the buying, request the money first before giving out the keys.

:[

Was definetly gonna do the money before purchase lol

I'm broke

Cheeto

Sebulon3k said:
:[

Was definetly gonna do the money before purchase lol

I'm broke
Yep, same here. I'm broke too, can't really afford to drop the entire bill right now, but can paypal anyone the $35 or whatever it works out to be.

poweld

Cheeto said:
Yep, same here. I'm broke too, can't really afford to drop the entire bill right now, but can paypal anyone the $35 or whatever it works out to be.
Well, if either of you have a CC, you could charge it and just sell the keys here/on the b/s/t thread.

We're a ways from the end of the month, and I'm pretty sure you'd be able to offload 3 keys before then (probably by the end of the night :p )

Philthy

The only thing I can think of is that its like 10 different effects you can get for each weapon.. But effect 1 maybe does 10dmg, then you find the same weapon but effect1 does 11dmg instead of 10.. and then you end up with a million different weapons when in actuality there are like 10..

Where in Diablo you had the same thing, but then you found an axe with effect1, effect2, effect3, effect4, effect10 all on the same weapon, so it kicked so much ass.

Mrbob

Hawkian said:
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CKqHouGmkOXetAEQ2AUYTzIIn-RXi9sh99E

:lol

I too don't understand about the claim of lack of weapon variety. I just don't see where he was coming from... did you see the videos of the guy at level 7? Six-shot revolver loading shotgun? Pump-action bouncy wall shotgun? Shiny orange sniper rifle? Rusty but effective machine gun? Plus there are teleporting grenades! I don't get it :-[

I can't see any vids? Links to a Diablo 2 icon!

I'm still interested in this game...steam 4 pack for 34 bucks a pop is an awesome price...even if the game is slightly disappointing. Console version for 60 dollars makes you pause a little more, especially since I believe both console communities will be obliterated once Modern Warfare 2 hits.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
I can't see any vids? Links to a Diablo 2 icon!

I'm still interested in this game...steam 4 pack for 34 bucks a pop is an awesome price...even if the game is slightly disappointing. Console version for 60 dollars makes you pause a little more, especially since I believe both console communities will be obliterated once Modern Warfare 2 hits.
Get it on PC you fucking nancy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, probably takes some getting used to to use effectively.

STILL WANT.

I screencapped his inventory list by the way (not sure if the guns he's using are on this page or not):

sdz336.png

:lol Low level procedural adjectives rule. Totally reminds me of Act 1 Diablo.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
My girlfriend has been asking for another co-op friendly game, and she has expressed interest in 'learning' fps's, and now I am wondering if this would be a good transitional game for her? We love co-op RPG's, you name it and we've probably played it, and she'll even fool around in Uncharted and throw down in Street Fighter from time to time - she is a bit self conscious though, so if this game is crushingly hard (ala Demon's Souls :D) it'll probably make her feel like ass.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Actually, this might be perfect for her- you won't find the tactical shooting challenge of something like Halo, but the controls are almost identical to COD and coop means she can take time to learn at her own pace.

Hawk, I copied your skilltree to see what you've got, and I just wanna say that Rogue is disgusting.

1 hawk lob =
30 pieces of loot
6 guaranteed stuns
420% single attack damage converted to health

You're missing some really good skills under sniper, though. Focus and Killer are awesome. I don't know if they're worth missing just for the 15 second cooldown on your bird, but it's pretty obvious what you want :lol
I'd personally go for carrion call over predator, but if you don't want to use snipers I could see why you went the way you did.

Still, my soldier is better because he can completely eliminate the cooldown for the turret and spam it constantly :lol

Kinitari said:
My girlfriend has been asking for another co-op friendly game, and she has expressed interest in 'learning' fps's, and now I am wondering if this would be a good transitional game for her? We love co-op RPG's, you name it and we've probably played it, and she'll even fool around in Uncharted and throw down in Street Fighter from time to time - she is a bit self conscious though, so if this game is crushingly hard (ala Demon's Souls :D) it'll probably make her feel like ass.
The game is supposedely too easy. Anyways, if she does find it hard then you could grind in low level areas to make the game easier.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I saw and liked carrion call a lot, but you nailed it- I don't want to invest any points in sniper skills at all and it's a tier 2 skill. Whatever the top tier sniper skill is though (is that Killer?) is SICK. 100% Shield penetration when maxed? :lol

EDIT: Ah no, that's trespass. Killer would be helpful for me, but it doesn't make my bird stronger or my shotgun-pistol more epic, so I'm okay losing it. :D

EDIT++: Rethought things a tiny bit:
1zn5soh.png

With only 2 points in predator, I can get over 15% better fire rate and 24% larger magazine size for teh uberpistol. And I figure with the Bloodwing devastating 6 enemies per throw, I can afford to wait 6 more seconds to do it again while I go in and mop up the stragglers with pistol/melee action.

Tresspass, yeah.

killer is +40% damage, +30% reload speed
focus is +25% accuracy, -50% rifle sway(great for motion sickness)

All in all, it seems like it takes a lot more points to get mordecai's skills together than Roland's. Level 21 minimum to get your multiple-hawk attack, whereas I can start cutting cooldown on my turret at 16. Your skills are like multipliers, where as mine just kind of add to what I already have, so they're not as necessary. Probably why you've got all maxed and I'm spread out.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I don't have a complaint about the AI as long as they keep the encounters interesting. You don't see enemies rolling and sliding into cover in Diablo but they throw a ton of enemies at you and keep you on your toes. If Gearbox can keep the fights challenging I think it shouldnt be too bad. If not, the game is in trouble.

Top Bottom