• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

I'm really on the fence as to whether I should pick this one up. It's being released for PC just as my mid-term exams finish up, but being a commuter student makes me feel like all my cash should go towards gas and Doritos. Not to mention Left 4 Dead 2 is coming out next month.

Is the game supposed to be like Fallout in terms of length and pacing? That might sell it for me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rasberryjam said:
I'm really on the fence as to whether I should pick this one up. It's being released for PC just as my mid-term exams finish up, but being a commuter student makes me feel like all my cash should go towards gas and Doritos. Not to mention Left 4 Dead 2 is coming out next month.

Is the game supposed to be like Fallout in terms of length and pacing? That might sell it for me.
15-20 Hours minus sidequests and new-game plus.
Pacing who knows...

Artadius

Roland video is better quality now (not HD yet)... but youtube has the normal 'good' quality going now instead of the placeholder poor quality.

Swag

Just watched those videos :D , So Hyped.

Is anyone still trying to do the 4 way steam pre order split? If so Please PM me

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
BTW I love that they reused "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" as well. It really, lyrically and stylistically, perfectly captures Borderlands. I wonder who it was that decided to include it.

EDIT: That "not just because it uses UE3" bit in the CliffyB post is layers upon layers of amazing :eek:

Prezhulio

Loudninja said:
PS3 footage is so limited,I want to see more!looks really good from the youtube vids.

that first 7 minutes that showed 360 footage from today looked really really smooth. i hope they came close with ps3.

side note: i saw cage the elephant at bonnaroo this year. the lead singer is fuckin craaaaaazy haha. i only really like a couple of their songs, one of them being ain't no rest.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wait wait wait, why do you get a regenerating halo shield that absorbs tons of attack damage and goes back up to full 2 seconds after not taking any hits...

AND a health bar more than twice the size that you seem to get easy health refills for if necessary...

AND a permanent last stand mechanic where if your health reaches zero you have like 20 seconds to kill an enemy to pop back up to life and keep going?

Not to mention that the gun-toting baddies seem to all stand still and go pew...pew...pew.

Maybe I'm coming off Demon's Souls where an hour into a dungeon a regular enemy can do an overhead swing of his sword and kill you instantly sending you back to the start of the level with all your exp in a pool of blood on the ground where you died, but these Borderlands mechanics seem really lame. Just throwing that out there, from that latest gameplay footage.

Stackboy

I'm all for playing games co-op, but my first run through I think I'm going to do solo. Just because I know how I like to pace my experience, and alot of my friends are better at games than I am, so they will get the better loot quicker than me.

Anyone else in this situation?

EviLore said:
Wait wait wait, why do you get a regenerating halo shield that absorbs tons of attack damage and goes back up to full 2 seconds after not taking any hits...

AND a health bar more than twice the size that you seem to get easy health refills for if necessary...

AND a permanent last stand mechanic where if your health reaches zero you have like 20 seconds to kill an enemy to pop back up to life and keep going?

Not to mention that the gun-toting baddies seem to all stand still and go pew...pew...pew.

Maybe I'm coming off Demon's Souls where an hour into a dungeon a regular enemy can do an overhead swing of his sword and kill you instantly sending you back to the start of the level with all your exp in a pool of blood on the ground where you died, but these Borderlands mechanics seem really lame. Just throwing that out there, from that latest gameplay footage.

I dunno, if you look at people playing Diablo, it looks like nothing but left-clicking and potion drinking. I'd say if there are any doubts in regards to how the game *looks*, it'd be a case of playing it and developing a character to feel the true gameplay.

dang ive never even heard of this game. how similar is it to Fallout 3? I loved fallout 3.... maybe my favorite non-sports game ever on xbox 360.

i cant watch any of the vids on this crappy laptop though!

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm still debating on whether to get this for the Xbox 360 or PC. I have a computer that can run it without breaking a sweat, but I don't have any Steam friends :( Is it worth it as a single-player game, without the co-op?

Red

Pylon_Trooper said:
I dunno, if you look at people playing Diablo, it looks like nothing but left-clicking and potion drinking. I'd say if there are any doubts in regards to how the game *looks*, it'd be a case of playing it and developing a character to feel the true gameplay.
Yeah, I preordered it for more than just the combat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EviLore wonders why gameplay showing a level 7 character killing level 5 mobs looks easy :(

Some thoughts on the new vids:
-The gunplay seems overall more refined to me than in previous previews. Maybe it was just that I liked the shotgun he had, but it seemed like the shots had more momentum and impact.
-The respawn anim remind anybody else of PSO? :p
-Looks like the first game where I might actually enjoy the actions required to grind for XP
-When he found the new gun I immediately got the rush of "omg try that shit out" Cannot wait :p
-Roland's turret does seem like it'd make him the best char for soloing

Whaha LittleBigBorderlands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbQmJXX6FJk&NR=1 :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Pylon_Trooper said:

Nah, Diablo looks like killing hordes of enemies from an isometric perspective with simple play mechanics and getting loot. And that's what it is. There's not some wild disconnect between what you see on screen and what you get with the controller in your hands, if you know how the game works. It's like I've never played a lootwhoring game before so I don't know the MAGIC ADDICTION POWERS that will surely reel me in despite any other attributes of the game.

Anyway, not here to shit on anyone's parade, just my impressions of the footage. Unfortunately very negative impressions, but the game still has a chance to sell me at that great $33 price point, so I'll keep an eye on all the videos as they come in.

EviLore said:
Nah, Diablo looks like killing hordes of enemies from an isometric perspective with simple play mechanics and getting loot. And that's what it is. There's not some wild disconnect between what you see on screen and what you get with the controller in your hands, if you know how the game works. It's like I've never played a lootwhoring game before so I don't know the MAGIC ADDICTION POWERS that will surely reel me in despite any other attributes of the game.

Anyway, not here to shit on anyone's parade, just my impressions of the footage. Unfortunately very negative impressions, but the game still has a chance to sell me at that great $33 price point, so I'll keep an eye on all the videos as they come in.

I was struggling to find a right analogy, and you're right...the immediacy of response is a lot more apparent in the traditional loot-whoring games. I'm just excited to get a tactile grind experience; a fast and funny Mad Max beat-down where the prospect of that shark-launching laser-powered gigawatt cannon is just through that next set of goons.

I hope you get into it, Evilore. I think it might be a sublime balance to the arduous and punishing Demon's Souls. You've busted a gut in the dungeons, now time to crack some skulls on Pandora.

Shins

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
I have a PC that would make it smooth and look better than the 360, but i tend to be more comfortable and game more frequently on my 360. Plus i just got a new 46 in awesome HD set i want to flex. Decisions decisions..
Can you really "flex" such a modest size?

Artadius

EviLore said:

I really think the game is built that way to simply do its best to keep you in the process of constantly collecting the loot. I dunno, kinda early to say. Its the first few levels which SHOULD be fairly easy on the player. The true test will be the later parts of the game. I think anything that gets me back into the fight quickly is a good thing though.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but keep the loot flowing in. Don't make me have to back track to find health pickups or cower in the corner for two minutes waiting for health to regen or something. Quick and meaningful rewards in the way of shields quickly regenerating, plentify health pickups, fight for your life 1ups (which I think still are subject to how many mobs are still pounding on you near death), all leads to more and more loot. I mean, look through the character skills. There's a ton of them that all increase the speed at which your shields recharge, you regen health, etc... Its a core gameplay mechanic I think.

You're right though, for $33 bucks, how can someone not be intrigued at all?

TheFallen

EviLore said:

Well, I'm not going to really argue the comparison. Demon's Souls is a very different from Borderlands, and its difficulty is very unique in comparison to standard action / RPG fare. But I don't think that should affect your opinion of Borderlands. If you're looking for difficult encounters in Borderlands, you can simply venture to areas with higher level enemies. The Skags you see in the videos are essentially the "rats" you often find in the early areas of many popular MMOs. It's like fighting boars/scorpions as a level 4 Orc in World of Warcraft. The player in the video decided to play it safe fighting mobs lower than he.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TheFallen said:
If you're looking for difficult encounters in Borderlands, you can simply venture to areas with higher level enemies.

Of course an excellent point.

I think anything that gets me back into the fight quickly is a good thing though.

Also a great point.

a fast and funny Mad Max beat-down where the prospect of that shark-launching laser-powered gigawatt cannon is just through that next set of goons.

Wonderful summary!

EviLore said:
Unfortunately very negative impressions

You prolly won't like it, Evil :-[

kIdMuScLe

JdFoX187 said:
Hell, I'm interested as well. PC version here I come if you're intersted.

I just replied back to Sebulon3k PM about the boderland package... i don't know if you are part of the group too...

T1tan

Neo Member
Stackboy said:
I'm all for playing games co-op, but my first run through I think I'm going to do solo. Just because I know how I like to pace my experience, and alot of my friends are better at games than I am, so they will get the better loot quicker than me.

Anyone else in this situation?

You and me both, pal. Will be interested in seeing how the game handles coop once I've gone through the SP campaign and all side quests. Now I'm waiting to see how good/bad my AI squadmates are.

Xevren

Hazaro said:
Pretty sure it was mentioned as a quest item.

:lol

Pretty sure he's referring to the game and not the gun. Unless he did get the game early due to a quest, which would be pretty badass.

TheFallen

T1tan said:
You and me both, pal. Will be interested in seeing how the game handles coop once I've gone through the SP campaign and all side quests. Now I'm waiting to see how good/bad my AI squadmates are.
There are no AI squadmates.
Edit: Too slow. Bah :lol

Anyway, even if you finish the game the first time around alone, you can simply do New Game+ for phatter lewtz.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hazaro said:

:lol "Please kill these three skags. When you return, I'll gladly give you this copy of the game you're currently playing before it's released!"

EDIT: And T1tan, you might not like this idea or you might love it, but there's really no distinction between a singleplayer and multiplayer coop character. You can take your singleplayer character online to hunt with friends every once in a while even if you do 99% of your playthrough alone.

Absinthe

Xevren said:

Pretty sure he's referring to the game and not the gun. Unless he did get the game early due to a quest, which would be pretty badass.

Talk about augmented reality games.. I can see it now. "Gearbox dishing out real life "quests" for pre-release copy of Borderlands."

Hazaro said:

How can I get into that quest?

Rahk

Hawkian said:
:lol "Please kill these three skags. When you return, I'll gladly give you this copy of the game you're currently playing before it's released!"

EDIT: And T1tan, you might not like this idea or you might love it, but there's really no distinction between a singleplayer and multiplayer coop character. You can take your singleplayer character online to hunt with friends every once in a while even if you do 99% of your playthrough alone.

Also might be worth mentioning that the enemy difficulty scales based on the number of players in game.

Top Bottom