• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think I may be living on ramen to pick this up day one.

I blame Eric, Cornballer, and Purg3. You bastards.
I'll send you a few MSG packs you can sprinkle on your noodles.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Actually, I'm doing a very LongTermFoolish/ShortTermAwesome trade in of a bunch of games that I'll end up rebuying later on. So cheeseburgers for everyone!
Oh...nevermind.

BB - which character are you going with?

EricWK - you going Mordecai / Lilith? I'm probably going to spec a support Roland for healing and turret-fu. QVT said he'll probably go Mordecai.

DenogginizerOS said:
What is Gearbox's track record with netcode in the past?

I played it on X360 and it was a mess. The online was completely borked from the outset.

Gearbox said they outsourced the multiplayer on BiA:HH. They did not make that mistake with Borderlands

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TurtleSnatcher said:
Gearbox said they outsourced the multiplayer on BiA:HH. They did not make that mistake with Borderlands

...well, there you go. And now I feel like an idiot for saying I didn't think they'd commented on such a thing.

Now back to drooling over teleporting grenades!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
TurtleSnatcher said:
Ok. Thanks. I have been trying to find something official since Gearbox has had issues with the PC version of Halo:CE and most recently with the Ubisoft published BiA title. As long as they built it from ground up, I feel a little better. I may still wait and see how things pan out before I fully jump in. Too many games to choose from right now.

Cornballer said:
I'll send you a few MSG packs you can sprinkle on your noodles.
Oh...nevermind.

BB - which character are you going with?

EricWK - you going Mordecai / Lilith? I'm probably going to spec a support Roland for healing and turret-fu. QVT said he'll probably go Mordecai.

I think my name gives me first dibs on Mordecai.

;D

Artadius

Ennui (gearbox employee) frequents the SA forums and has answered some questions there I thought I'd share:

I'll format for bolding key points in a bit, a bit busy on the home front.

---------------

Hey everyone - sorry I've been so absent for a while. We're really busy now that we're so close to release (at least in community management and marketing!). The thread seems to have picked up some steam! If you have a question about the game I'll do my damnedest to answer. Here are a couple from the last few pages:

I'm not sure if Roland's melee attack (which is a knife) does any healing.

I think it's only bullets that do healing, but it would be hilarious to punch someone to health.

Hey, is friendly fire possible?

Friendly fire is not turned on.

So have any numbers come out on a rough number of how long the main... 'story,' such as it is... will take?

If you're only doing main story stuff and choosing to ignore everything else, you can probably get through in 15-20 hours, depending on your skill and learning curve. If you do all the side stuff, that's quite a bit of game. And then there's a second playthrough, with harder enemies and the best loot.

Oh, and for those interested in getting some updates but not in reading the official forums, we do have a twitter and Facebook account where I occasionally run contests and relatively frequently post news about the game. twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gearboxsoftware and Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...ge/104080139080

The game does have a viral 360 achievement that you can get by playing with a dev (or someone who has played with one) - if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM and I'll try to schedule some time to drop into a game with you around release. I'll only be able to handle so many requests, but I'll try to get to as many as I can!

I'd like to know if we'll be able to pre-load our steam pre-orders.

Working on getting an answer to this - I'm not sure if we know at the moment, but as soon as I get a solid response I'll let you know.

Any idea of how long it will take to hit 50?

It's extremely unlikely that you'll get to 50 in one full playthrough (full meaning doing every single thing). It'll be sometime during a second full playthrough. So, in short, it'll take a serious chunk of time to get there.

I've read on the gearbox forums that the actual colour of the gun depends on the gun manufacturer.

The color coding for rarity is seen in the text names of the weapons when you look at their item card. The little line coming up from them indicating their location on the ground will also indicate the rarity.

The physical look of the guns is determined procedurally - the color, materials, and physical components vary depending on the weapon and its rarity, level, and whole bunch of other stuff, but the gun models are not color-coded by their rarity (ie green, blue, purple, etc).

Each version will have a voice solution available - we can't expect people to play online co-op without it! I don't have extremely detailed information about implementation or options, but you can expect voice for each platform.

Games are hosted locally, with one player creating a host and other players joining in.

respawning

Enemies and bosses respawn on a timer. I believe the timer varies in some cases.

The game does support offline LAN games (I know this one because that's what we use in the office). Online co-op is handled through Gamespy (for the PC version), I believe. I haven't used it because we've just used LAN here in the office, so I'm not particularly versed in its implementation and options.

Question progression

The game's host sets the progress in the main story. If you join a game and are behind in the main story, you will not be able to progress in it. However, you will be able to accept and complete side quests at the same time. Everything you are able to complete will be saved to your character. If you're asking whether or not you'd need to bring you profile/memory unit with a save with you, I'm not entirely sure. I know you need your save, but I am not sure if you need to cart your profile around.

Is there some way to sync up? ... Which reminds me, how many "character slots" do we have available?

You would need to join one of your friends' games and assist them in continuing the story to catch up to you. However, they could join your game and still complete side quests with you. Due to the nature of the action in the game, doing some quests over again probably won't bother too many people. Shooting and collecting loot don't get old that fast (for me at least).

You can make as many characters as you'd like.

If not this needs to be added

At launch there is not a shared character bank. We haven't talked specifics about DLC that we'll be doing, but we will absolutely be listening to what players want to see the most.

Steam pre-loading?

Our marketing VP just got back with me and says that yes, we will be able to offer pre-loading for Steam customers!

And making as many characters as I like? Sweet! I thought we'd be limited to like 4 or 5 maybe, but unlimited character slots sounds good to me!

Since you are able to re-spec your characters, there probably won't be too much need for tons and tons of them, but we did want to make it easy for people to have plenty of characters to play with others. I will probably keep at least one or two for playing through with a group, and have others that are just for single-player or random co-op action.

Does respeccing have a monetary cost or is it free-for-all throw your points around anywhere?

It does have a monetary cost associated, but it shouldn't be a prohibitive thing.

Wag

Hawkian said:
Ah. Never played any of their games online. Certainly a legitimate concern.
I thought of that- it is P2P right now, and I sure hope there is a ping meter included in all versions of the game (don't see why there wouldn't be). I also would hope that (especially if the game gets popular enough) sometime the game gets popular enough they'd write a dedicated server for the PC version.

Artadius

So yeah, two biggest things Ennui stated for me was that

1. Enemies and bosses will actually respawn. So I stand corrected, it's not completely like Diablo II and other lootwhore games. I'm still ok with this though so long as it doesn't approach Far Cry 2 guardpost annoyances. Then again, at least stuff drops loot no matter how many times it respawns :D

2. Steam PreLoading! Woot! We'll be ready to go the minute it unlocks on the 20th!

Artadius said:
So yeah, two biggest things Ennui stated for me was that

1. Enemies and bosses will actually respawn. So I stand corrected, it's not completely like Diablo II and other lootwhore games. I'm still ok with this though so long as it doesn't approach Far Cry 2 guardpost annoyances. Then again, at least stuff drops loot no matter how many times it respawns :D

2. Steam PreLoading! Woot! We'll be ready to go the minute it unlocks on the 20th!
20th for PC?

You mean 1 week later.

Zzoram

Word is, Walmart Canada is going to do the same thing they did with Batman Arkham Asylum and sell the game for $39. If it works like last time, every other retailer will drop their price to match it. So far it's only confirmed for the 360 version but they did both 360/PS3 versions last time so I would imagine this time should be the same.

I hope Walmart continues it's campaign of undercutting price for 360/PS3 games.

Artadius

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Enemies respawned in Diablo 2. Just not until you logged off. You could kill bosses over and over and over and over.

-__________________-

Yes, I know this... but they didn't respawn until you exited out and restarted your game. In Borderlands, they respawn on a timer in game as well.... so it's more like an MMO ala WoW.

Zzoram said:
Word is, Walmart Canada is going to do the same thing they did with Batman Arkham Asylum and sell the game for $39. If it works like last time, every other retailer will drop their price to match it. So far it's only confirmed for the 360 version but they did both 360/PS3 versions last time so I would imagine this time should be the same.

I hope Walmart continues it's campaign of undercutting price for 360/PS3 games.

eff canada, any word on this deal in the US?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Waiting that extra week is going to be hell considering everyone will be playing console version.

I guess I'll just try to hide away from this thread.
Joined the steam group too.

Firestorm

Flying Lotus said:
Anyone know if this'll be the case in the U.S. as well?
i really want this game but I really don't want to pay $60 for it.
Highly unlikely. Batman was also $40 last time but your retailers didn't do that.

Mikey Jr.

If this game is $40 in Canada, I am fucking in like Flynn.

I'm gonna get the PS3 version. You think Gearbox is committed to the PS3 version aswell or is it more of just token support?

Really on the fence about this game. Just heard about it a week ago and been looking at previews and such, but I can still go either way. When do reviews come out for the game?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Artadius said:
-__________________-

Yes, I know this... but they didn't respawn until you exited out and restarted your game. In Borderlands, they respawn on a timer in game as well.... so it's more like an MMO ala WoW.

There are a few things that put the RPG stylings of the gameplay closer to an MMO, like the far that the entire world (as far as we know) is interconnected. But still, I think in terms of the merits of saving anywhere, it's closer to D2 than to Oblivion- the respawning enemies just means you don't have to exit and start a new game to grind a boss like in Diablo :D

Anyone know when reviews for this are going up?

Hawkian said:
I have time before the PC price drops for MW2 ;)

:lol The price for COD4 here is still 50 bucks. You'll be waiting a long time to save even 10 bucks.

Dr.Kitty Muffins said:
This game and Dragon Age are pretty much the next big games for anyone not interested in the new Call of Duty.

If I didn't know better I'd assume this was some kind of pointless troll post, but I'll just assume its a pointless post instead.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Vercingetorix said:
Anyone know when reviews for this are going up?

:lol The price for COD4 here is still 50 bucks. You'll be waiting a long time to save even 10 bucks.

If I didn't know better I'd assume this was some kind of pointless troll post, but I'll just assume its a pointless post instead.
On the used market COD 4 and WAW went for about 20 bucks within weeks of launch. I expect the new one will do the same thing.

That said, I saw one PSN trailer for Borderlands and it looked all fuzzy and pretty poor altogether. Was it the trailer, because the shots and stuff on here look far better.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
No need to be thin skinned. Not everyone has the same tastes as you. No need to bring this thread down in flames.

Heed your own words please. Plenty of games this winter. Nobody cares what you think of the other ones. This is a borderland thread.

Anyone know if something like extra blood/gore mods will be possible? looks amazing but i wish the blood would be a little more over the top.

Tokubetsu

SuperAwesome said:
Anyone know if something like extra blood/gore mods will be possible? looks amazing but i wish the blood would be a little more over the top.

I was thinking this as well. I kinda have a thing for gore in games :lol

Firehead

SuperAwesome said:
Do we even know if mods are supported?

Firehead said:
Do we even know if mods are supported?

i'm positive randy said something about them in an interview, wondering about what types of mods the community could create. either way, who knows...time will tell.

and yeah, seems like there should be a bit more blood when theres stuff like heads exploding and limbs being shot right off.

noticed some slight pop-in on the 360 ver, hope its not too prominent.

Mikey Jr.

I don't like the fact that loot is a free for all. It forces everyone to get up close to the battle to pick up all the loot.

TheFallen

SuperAwesome said:
The video sucks, but if you didn't know - you can blow limbs off enemies.

Mrbob said:
They aren't that big of spoilers.

360 version looks pretty slick.

Yeah, nothing that hasn't been seen already really. Especially the intro video. Very smooth looking performance. I saw no screen tearing or fps slowdown yet.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I like the ambient soundtrack in the game.

Im really torn between getting the PC version and the 360 one.

I have a PC that would make it smooth and look better than the 360, but i tend to be more comfortable and game more frequently on my 360. Plus i just got a new 46 in awesome HD set i want to flex. Decisions decisions..

Red

I'm really looking forward to playing this online. It'll be the first time in a long time I'll be playing multiplayer on PC.

Top Bottom