• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Kosma said:
Only two weeks left. Can't wait to try it out.

How is the new thread title GENIUS? You really have low standards for humor.

It's certainly rather humorous. The internet is no stranger to hyperbole.

MMaRsu

Banned
Kosma said:
Only two weeks left. Can't wait to try it out.

How is the new thread title GENIUS? You really have low standards for humor.

I like it, like I give a shit what you think.

Firestorm

PoweredBySoy said:
So, Brick. The character intrigues me, but in a game where the main selling point is loot and 87 bazillion guns, where's the incentive for a melee-based character?

Are there melee weapons in the game he could take advantage of?
The tank is always closest to the loot.
Always.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes, I hope to play only with generous tanks that will be willing to give me my shotgun-pistol. :'(

Also, I think the thread title is hilarious. Why attack such a benign facet of a gaming thread? o_O

Finally.. Beaulieu = Trollzor?

Firestorm

Add to deals section:
Wal-Mart in Canada has Borderlands (360) advertised for $39.96. No PS3 version on the flyer but it might be the same price. That's $30 off here.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think it's because they weren't sure they'd have it gold by the same time as their console versions- even though they developed on the PC, that probably ended up meaning more backdoors to close. Of course, went gold last friday, so why they can't move the date back I do not know. :'(

EDIT: Btw, reservations are great. I have some about this game myself. But saying ""Now I'm pretty sure it won't be [a mix between Diablo and an fps]" seems pretty baseless and speculative, especially considering that: 1. the specs of the game point to exactly that and 2. it could be a cross between an FPS and Diablo and still suck; i.e., it seems an unfounded criticism. *shrug*

Shoogoo

I was wondering, anybody knows if this will allow 2 gold member to play on splitscreen (like Halo, L4D,..) with other people online?

HypeTrain.jpg

Tickets, please.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, split-screen might sell me on the 360 version...

15 more bucks, inferior graphics, but my desire to ALWAYS support developers who decide to continue including split-screen over the Live cop-out bullshit is strong.

Dipper145

ahoyhoy said:
Shit, split-screen might sell me on the 360 version...

15 more bucks, inferior graphics, but my desire to ALWAYS support developers who decide to continue including split-screen over the Live cop-out bullshit is strong.
If you're in Canada it's 39.96 at Walmart. Not sure if there is a similar sale in the States though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sparky2112 said:
Think of Borderlands 360 as the equiv. of owning a Mac. Sure, we pay more for less, but it STILL makes us waaaaay cooler than those mindless PC sheep.

BAAAAAAAAAA.

dionysus

Yaldog
sparky2112 said:
Think of Borderlands 360 as the equiv. of owning a Mac. Sure, we pay more for less, but it STILL makes us waaaaay cooler than those mindless PC sheep.

If it is terrible we will here about it here and get to cancel all our preorders! It is good to be a PC sheep.

If it is good we will be jealous for 7 days.

sullytao

It seems like only yesterday that we saw the first screenshots of the new style. I cant believe the full game is only a week from spinning fevourishly in my 360 :D

Hawkian said:
BAAAAAAAAAA.

Trust me, if it wasn't for co-op with my son, I'd be BAAAAAAAAing too. We have one gaming rig, and 2 360s, so the math weighs in favor of console gaming, where multiplayer is involved.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wish intersystem multiplayer had really taken off. I remember predicting a future where there was no difference between servers for an Xbox or PC game. :(

garath

Shoogoo said:
I was wondering, anybody knows if this will allow 2 gold member to play on splitscreen (like Halo, L4D,..) with other people online?

HypeTrain.jpg

Tickets, please.

Unfortunately no :(

Gearbox is working on allowing for as versatile an online setup as possible. Though split-screen co-op online isn't going to be implemented for console gamers at launch, Pitchford told us what to expect. "You can play on your system on both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and you can join people online or you can have a friend play with you in a split-screen scenario, but right now we're not able to bring the split-screen online. Maybe we'll be able to find a way to do that later, but that's a technical limitation with the amount of data that's going on it just can't work. That would be something that we'd love to do, and I hope people love the game so that conceivably we could invest in that and find a way."

Beaulieu

Hawkian said:
Finally.. Beaulieu = Trollzor?

Yeah there is a midle ground between posting 50 messages in the first 2 pages of the official thread of a game that isnt out yet and show little promise and being a troll man.

Firestorm said:
Add to deals section:
Wal-Mart in Canada has Borderlands (360) advertised for $39.96. No PS3 version on the flyer but it might be the same price. That's $30 off here.

Anyone know if this'll be the case in the U.S. as well?
i really want this game but I really don't want to pay $60 for it.

going to wait before preordering on steam to see if i can win a free copy...if i don't, i'll really need to add some people since my friends list on steam is empty.

Flying Lotus said:
Anyone know if this'll be the case in the U.S. as well?
i really want this game but I really don't want to pay $60 for it.
If you really (Note in italics) want a game.. then I'm sure you'd be willing to pay for the standard retail price for it.

I mean.. what did you expect.. the game to be $40 everywhere day 1?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have this fully reserved on X360 but I have one reservation. The last Gearbox game I bought was the most recent BiA and that was a buggy mess. That was published by Ubisoft I believe. Has Gearbox made any comments about this and how they are addressing it with Borderlands?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DenogginizerOS said:
I have this fully reserved on X360 but I have one reservation. The last Gearbox game I bought was the most recent BiA and that was a buggy mess. That published by Ubisoft I believe. Has Gearbox made any comments about this and how they are addressing it with Borderlands?

Comments about how their former game using a different engine was buggy and how it related to Borderlands? Don't think so :-/ You could always wait til the reviews are out?

DenogginizerOS

Hawkian said:
Comments about how their former game using a different engine was buggy and how it related to Borderlands? Don't think so :-/ You could always wait til the reviews are out?
I guess I am more interested in how they are addressing bugs. They made a big deal about it with the countdown to gold so that gives me a lot of optimism. It just seems that all of a sudden his game is getting more hype and I am just trying to keep things in check as much as possible for myself.

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
Hawkian said:

BiA used Unreal engine as well, didn't it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's always a good idea not to set your expectations too high. That way you can be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed. As far as bugs, I know that they did delay the PC version with the stated goal of making sure it was stable alongside the others, but it's always hard to say how a multiplayer-centric game will hold up in real play.

EDIT: Hank- BiA = UE 2.0, Borderlands = UE 3.0. i.e. all the difference in the world. Compare UT2003 to Bioshock ;)

I take it all back, there was apparently a BiA in 2008 that used UE3? Did you play it on the PC or consoles? Didn't even know this game existed.

DenogginizerOS

What is Gearbox's track record with netcode in the past?

Hawkian said:
I take it all back, there was apparently a BiA in 2008 that used UE3? Did you play it on the PC or consoles? Didn't even know this game existed.
I played it on X360 and it was a mess. The online was completely borked from the outset.

Top Bottom