• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bornfree Interview with Street Fighter V pro Ryan "FChamp" Ramirez

jett

D-Member
I'm sorry. I just kept everything as he said it: the words, pauses, etc... If that's not how you're supposed to do it, someone can "clean it up"? I had never done a transcript before.

Anyway, most of the work is already done, no? I thought that you could read it just fine :/

edit:

damn... i just had the best intentions.

In video form, that part of the video was perfectly undertandable. I can understand that, when doing a transcript, you're not supposed to simply keep everything the person said (each word, pause, etc...), i just didn't know becuase i had never done it before. However, even then, the quote is literally what was said in the video, and it is very easy to understand what champ is saying?

lol I appreciate the transcript, I'm just saying FChamp rambled on a bit. He's just salty he can't hack it with newer players like Du and Punk (although he was never top tier in SF4 either), and using Daigo doing poorly (although his game has improved tenfold since he switched to Guile) as evidence that isn't he who sucks, it's the game that sucks.

FChamp has always had salt for days.

Kashiwaba

While i agree with some of what he says, but i don't think everything he said is correct especially about the randomness of this game, i wish bornfree would interview some of the guys who are actually winning and dominating in SFV such as Punk, Du,....etc to see hear their opinion about this game.

Fraeon

While i agree with some of what he says, but i don't think everything he said it's correct especially about the randomness of this game, i wish bornfree would interview some of the guys who are actually winning and dominating in SF such as Punk, Du,....etc to see hear their opinion about this game.

But he has. He has interviewed a whole bunch of players including Fuudo, Bonchan and yes, Nuckledu. Check his channel.

Ban Puncher

"Women are picking up this game and beating men"

Jheeze. The salt.

rzw2M4F.gif

Skilletor

Yeah, that's a really sad truth. The fact that players can turn this into a career now is exciting, but downside of their livelihood depending on it is that they're far less likely to touch games with less money.

Thing is those games are steadily growing as well. Opportunity is growing everywhere.

ShinMaruku

FChamp is actually one of the few top players worth listening to though....
90% of pros are not worth lisnting to on aspects tied to desing, I don't think Champ is one of them either, you may have to as XIan perhaps or Infiltration, in some aspects Tokido, ideally you ask the Ryan hunters and Viscants.
I don't disagree with a lot of his problems with the game but I disagree as to why he thinks these decisions were made.

Most of SFV's gameplay choices are direct responses to complaints people have been making for years.

SF4 combos all start off with lights? We'll take the priority system from SF3 and put it here so mediums and heavies will beat out mashed lights. Crush Counters were designed to make throwing heavies out in the neutral more useful but they're issue is that the normals many of them are attached to are too good on their own. It's too high reward for the low risk.

Set play too strong in SF4? You get an Alpha Counter and two different quick rises that can be done at almost any time.

SF4 brought back hard ass links that were basically done away with in SF3? Add a frame buffer like the ASW games to make combos easier.

People bitched about the dozens of OSes in SF4 so we get a game where OSes are snuffed out. Of course, lots of pro players love OSes because it gives them another edge over players with worse execution.

I don't agree with his anti-air point at all considered everyone hated jab AAs in S1. Jump ins are way too good, though, and if anything was changed to help newer players that's what I'd point to.

I do agree he was points, but he has no idea what is behind the thought process behind it. Hell there is one character in the game now that has the same issues that she had in sf4 but seems worse because v-trigger does not work like it's name sake. In SF4 she did exactly what Urine,Ballsrog and Ibooty did but someitmes in a even more dominating fashion, but nobody in the west played the bitch or traveled and they never go gwapped by the come back engine.

I do think some of the inconsistencies are the part on bad faith on the communities ability to learn the game. But the game is constantly changing just like all the other games. SF4 had 7 years of revisions. Vanilla sf4 was just as shit as sf5 was at launch just with slightly more content. But the character balance was off focus only benefited certain characters and those things never changed.

ShinMaruku

Thing is those games are steadily growing as well. Opportunity is growing everywhere.

I sincerly doubt that. Capcom has the lions share and people always gravitate to those games even when the capcom game is currently substandard. GG and Blazeblue will NEVER have the money sf has behind them.

Right. I can keep a person out the entire match playing a solid boom game with Guile. If they get a single jump in on me, or read on the fireball, I'm going to lose 50-60% health, probably be in the corner, and be a hit or two away from stun.

I think I know a game you might like :)

sephi22

PJSalt

snip
These comments sound so tiring. SFV Defense force called out Chris G and Infiltration as being salty too when they shat on season 2. I'm guessing Bonchan is being a salty fucker too?

If you look at how Punk plays Karin, he is very good at hanging around at spots where the opponent whiffs things, which he'll then punish. The game is much more aggressive and could use more defensive tools, sure (no reason why v-reversals aren't fully invincible and the S2 dp change was strange.) But there is a neutral game there.

Then again, remember how the FGC haaaated SF4 when that was released? It's just what happens with new games.
This I can agree with. Punk is on another level and probably the guy who's best at playing V both the traditional way (footsies and whiff punishing) and going crazy (Trigger). Him and Du are the only ones doing that with Alfa's Karin and Du's Guile. All the other young guns doing well like Smug are just going crazy with the v trigger stuff.

People care what FChamp thinks?

Might as well ask LTG.
Wat.
It must be amazing being this ignorant.

Never liked the guy, but I think he's giving Capcom way too much credit by assuming all the stuff that makes SFV trash was intentional.

Village

Is it possible that it's a bad game if your livelihood depends on it but maybe a pretty good game if you're just an online warrior looking to have some fun?

If consistency is your top priority, which it would be if you were playing for tangible rewards, then I totally get why SFV would be a bad game. But should that matter to the 99%+ of players who will never be serious tournament players? Does that mean it's a "bad game" for them too?

This is creating a narrative that SFV isn't liked by only top players who like the make money, a lot of people notable or not who aren't making money don't like SFV. The game is making a good chunk of its money on DLC because a bunch of people didn't buy sfv.

I feel like while yes I totally believe some salt is because things are new and new things are bad, but SFV has been shat on by pros and casuals alike, something that didn't happen to sf4

People on here acting like Fchamp is the only pro player to call SFV out on its shit.

Bonchan just did the same a couple weeks ago and was even harsher.

Pompadour

This is creating a narrative that SFV isn't liked by only top players who like the make money, a lot of people notable or not who aren't making money don't like SFV. The game is making a good chunk of its money on DLC because a bunch of people didn't buy sfv.

I feel like while yes I totally believe some salt is because things are new and new things are bad, but SFV has been shat on by pros and casuals alike, something that didn't happen to sf4

Asking a question isn't creating a narrative and doesn't prevent discussion from happening. Casuals shit on SFV all the time and no one reading this thread would be mistaken about that.

Regardless, one aspect of SFV I love is the frame buffer. I don't care if that causes pros to lose an edge, I think the game is way better off for it.

These comments sound so tiring. SFV Defense force called out Chris G and Infiltration as being salty too when they shat on season 2. I'm guessing Bonchan is being a salty fucker too?

Infiltration's Core-A interview makes FChamp's comments look like a 13 year-old's myspace rant. Most of my annoyance with FChamp is how presents his criticism, not with the criticism itself. At the core, I agree with almost everything he said.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Infiltration's Core-A interview makes FChamp's comments look like a 13 year-old's myspace rant. Most of my annoyance with FChamp is how presents his criticism, not with the criticism itself. At the core, I agree with almost everything he said.

got a reputation to uphold

Pompadour

To be honest, I've been thinking about picking up Balrog once the 2.5 patch or whatever drops lol

For as dumb as he can be he's one of the most fun, best designed characters in the game (up there with Guile). Not only is his V-Skill not dogshit but it's imperative to his gameplay, unlike characters who have semi-useful V-Skills that they use sparingly (Alex, Urien). And his V-Trigger is extremely useful, too.

Everyone in SFV should be designed like Balrog aside from the excessive damage and frame advantage he has.

SF4 was shat on all the time too. A bunch of people didn't buy SFV mostly because of the bungled launch and lack of content..

LakeEarth

To be honest, I've been thinking about picking up Balrog once the 2.5 patch or whatever drops lol

Might as well pick him up now, his only known season 2.5 change (so far) is a slight health nerf.

In my defense, I picked up Urien the second he launched due to my 3rd Strike love. The fact that he's "easy mode" upper tier is a welcomed coincidence.

nachum00

The size of the scene doesn't really matter if you care more about SP content. Like I'm sure most of the people complaining about arcade and story have no intention to play any ranked.
Well It does to an extent. Having a strong community is what keeps fighting games alive for years. And it creates more exposure so all those casuals that only play for single player stuff might actually hear that the game exist.

Anyway the post I was replying to was about how most pros don't give a Fuck about non-Capcom fighting games Because there's no money in them. Which is true, and Kofs scene would be way bigger if most of the pros were seriously playing it

DKL

For as dumb as he can be he's one of the most fun, best designed characters in the game (up there with Guile). Not only is his V-Skill not dogshit but it's imperative to his gameplay, unlike characters who have semi-useful V-Skills that they use sparingly (Alex, Urien). And his V-Trigger is extremely useful, too.

Everyone in SFV should be designed like Balrog aside from the excessive damage and frame advantage he has.

Yeah, just make all the characters fun and then tweak the damage/frames stuff so that it's not too dumb.

I assume Urien is fun too, actually.

My initial impression of SFV was that they were just gonna give people buffs... but then they ended up like chopping some people's legs off (even characters that were already struggling) and then it was just WTF.

That said, I assume the game will be in a nice place in a few years once they sort out stuff.

But yeah, it was posted earlier, but my overall impression of the game is that it's honest, but pretty dry.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

SFV, as a product, was a disaster out of the gate. That's long before anyone had a sense of whether its core design was good or bad or too random or too imbalanced or whatever. So, yes, a lot of people who are not professionals have opted to avoid SFV, but a huge part of that has nothing to do with the the deeper gameplay aspects and a great deal to do with the game launching with almost no single player content and lots of network problems too.

I'm not trying to say that only pros don't like SFV. But I am saying that for people whose stakes are high these gameplay issues matter more. It might be a bad game for them in a way that's it's not a bad game for less serious players. It's a bad game for many less serious players for the other reasons already mentioned.

These aren't competing explanations for SFV's reception; they are complementary.

Ninjimbo

People on here acting like Fchamp is the only pro player to call SFV out on its shit.

Bonchan just did the same a couple weeks ago and was even harsher.
Bonchan also said he likes playing the game. He mostly called out Capcom's devs as being clueless as to how to balance it which is true. What Infiltration said awhile back still rings true: when a player spends hundreds of hours learning and perfecting a character to his/her skill set, it's a slap in the face to all of a sudden nerf the character and demand the player to adjust. What's happening with Nash right now, and Capcom deciding to grant back some of his original abilities kinda tells you that Capcom doesn't know what the fuck they're doing sometimes. The same goes for Ryu and Vega.

Anyways, obviously there are criticisms to be made, but there's a desire to push a narrative here that the pro-players hate the game when that's not an accurate statement. The game is still evolving and a lot of people are still playing catchup, but at its core there is a good fighting game that rewards execution and pattern recognition. I won't deny that it can be improved however.

ZenTzen

Are you serious, SFIV has been constantly shat on from vanilla all the way to ultra, from all sides of the equasion, from daigo "SFIV doesnt deserve my Ryu" umehara, to a random FG player, with comments like inv. backdashes and focus attack are anti-SF.

Take his comments with a grain of salt, as a sim player he is obviously a bit biased towards spacing and footsie play.

However, this is being echoed enough that I believe Capcom will do something about it. A lot of characters just need to be nerfed in damage and others need to be buffed back to something resembling S1 versions. FB should be made stronger and improved V-reversals and also priority normals.

Game isn't bad, just has a lot of quirks that need to be corrected before all characters can shine. Rushdown and offensive pressure is generally too excessive and prominent.

Basically Capcom stop nerfing, speed up the game, make V-reversals good. Go from there

FRS1987

That might be some of it. But it's not just the older pros that aren't feeling SF5. Plus Fchamp is doing just as good in SF5 as he did in SF4, if not better.
I agree with this, I can understand if he was terrible in 5 but he's not and I'm not a pro and agree with all his points. I feel imo sfv lacks polish and one of the worst fighting games in recent times. I've been playing fighting games for about twenty years and I honestly think he is right, I don't get why people defend the issues the game has and I say this as a disappointed fan.

Shadoken

I cant think of a single pro player who disagrees with him. Some of them might not be as vocal as him. But its pretty clear they agree with what he is saying.

I am glad pros are vocal about it , the sooner Capcom starts working on fixing it the better. Season 3 would need to pull a SFxT v2013.

Take his comments with a grain of salt, as a sim player he is obviously a bit biased towards spacing and footsie play.

However, this is being echoed enough that I believe Capcom will do something about it. A lot of characters just need to be nerfed in damage and others need to be buffed back to something resembling S1 versions. FB should be made stronger and improved V-reversals and also priority normals.

Game isn't bad, just has a lot of quirks that need to be corrected before all characters can shine. Rushdown and offensive pressure is generally too excessive and prominent.

Basically Capcom stop nerfing
, speed up the game, make V-reversals good. Go from there

hm

ZenTzen

Basically Capcom stop nerfing, speed up the game, make V-reversals good. Go from there
I disagree in having any kind of nerfs, just give significant buffs to characters, bring them all to the levels of the first SFV betas or greater, the betas were really fun gameplay wise, i really dont get this freaking obsession of having this super balanced game at the expense of making all these one note characters that do the same combos and have the same gameplan all the time, make things interesting, let characters and players have more options in them and for them, i want them to deal with the lag stuff, revise the v-skills and v-triggers some characters have, put more v-skills/v-triggers that players can choose at character select, similar thoughts on CAs as well

Nocturno999

Dude is probably the smartest guy in the FGC.

He is right about SFV. Right now it needs a Realm Reborn type of relaunch.

Csr

i agree with what he said.

Capcom tried to lower the skill gaps and also make the game more entertaining to watch.

Sfiv also had some of that stuff (like focus attacks in neutral and some gimmicky characters) and people complained about them but in sfv there are a lot more and more prevalent so there are a lot more complaints especially from top players, fchamp and all the pros that bornfree interviewed have gone into more detail about it.

LordKasual

Banned
i'll just say this

throws in SFV are THE most aggravating shit i've ever encountered in a fighting game

It's basically either be clairvoyant, OS it, or just get that ass thrown

It's so bad that some players just adopt the strategy of taking the fucking throw as long as you aren't in the corner

and then once you're in the corner, it's a literal 50/50

Top Bottom