• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bornfree Interview with Street Fighter V pro Ryan "FChamp" Ramirez

I just meant damage toned down. No need to take away advantages, moves, plus on block etc...Rog for example simply does too much damage and his comeback potential is pretty bonkers.

Same with Season 1 Chun, she was fine, just take away the IIA that was being abused.

When I say "nerf" I mean S1 to S2 Nash lol

He has a few good points, there are some inconsistencies in SFV gameplay that need to be tightened before we can truly say it's a great game.

He's a fucking hypocrite on the "50/50" though, MvC3 is 50/50 the for the entire cast. I guess because he can "react" to it better in MvC3 than SFV makes it completely okay. SFIV had quite a few 50/50 characters, but the character roster is so big that he completely glosses over that fact.

I liked SFIV quite a bit, but I enjoy the core gameplay of SFV more, it just needs to be refined. SFIV leaned too much into safe/defensive/turtle style of gameplay. Did a bad special move? FADC it like it never happened. Have your opponent down 3/4 of life? Play it safe and timeout. Looks like your opponent is going to beat you after some great reads and setups? LOL j/k, you got ultra meter fam, you get awarded every time you get your ass kicked.

SFV is opposite in it's gameplay, it awards the offense/aggressor, maybe a little too much because 50/50 setups are indeed almost too strong. They implemented V-reversal to allow some defensive holds but it's clearly not enough. The balance between offense/defense needs to be tweaked somehow but I'm not sure how at this point. At least without adding even more convoluted game mechanics to get around it.

Lulubop

Dude is probably the smartest guy in the FGC.

He is right about SFV. Right now it needs a Realm Reborn type of relaunch.

Lmao, it's not that serious and as a whole it's one of the better sf games. It does need some tweaking however, but even the first revisions of sf4 and 3 were rough.

He has a few good points, there are some inconsistencies in SFV gameplay that need to be tightened before we can truly say it's a great game.

He's a fucking hypocrite on the "50/50" though, MvC3 is 50/50 the for the entire cast. I guess because he can "react" to it better in MvC3 than SFV makes it completely okay. SFIV had quite a few 50/50 characters, but the character roster is so big that he completely glosses over that fact.

I liked SFIV quite a bit, but I enjoy the core gameplay of SFV more, it just needs to be refined. SFIV leaned too much into safe/defensive/turtle style of gameplay. Did a bad special move? FADC it like it never happened. Have your opponent down 3/4 of life? Play it safe and timeout. Looks like your opponent is going to beat you after some great reads and setups? LOL j/k, you got ultra meter fam, you get awarded every time you get your ass kicked.

SFV is opposite in it's gameplay, it awards the offense/aggressor, maybe a little too much because 50/50 setups are indeed almost too strong. They implemented V-reversal to allow some defensive holds but it's clearly not enough. The balance between offense/defense needs to be tweaked somehow but I'm not sure how at this point. At least without adding even more convoluted game mechanics to get around it.
They could get rid of most throw loops, and make v reversals throw invincible.

Yeah, agreed with this. SFV is at a much better place than 4 was 2 year in and I think we forget that sometimes. It just needs to be refined. In the beta I was saying how everyone should have parries with different animations like Ryu, but that's long since gone. Low tier just need to be buffed, and defense options buffed. Like making all V-reversals pretty safe or even plus on block. I mean, what are you even using meter for if your opponent is going to just ignore what you just did lol?

trixx

So honestly speaking kof14 and tekken are probably the most solid fighting game but I still find sf5 more entertaining to watch

Lulubop

Yeah, agreed with this. SFV is at a much better place than 4 was 2 year in and I think we forget that sometimes. It just needs to be refined. In the beta I was saying how everyone should have parries with different animations like Ryu, but that's long since gone. Low tier just need to be buffed, and defense options buffed. Like making all V-reversals pretty safe or even plus on block. I mean, what are you even using meter for if your opponent is going to just ignore what you just did?

Exactly and it's def better than trash tier shit like NG and 2ndI

Street Fighter isn't supposed to be like a Marvel game though lol. SFIV did have a lot of setups and 50/50 setups but you at least had several defensive options to choose from. Marvel you at least have push block to get someone off of you. V-Reversals in SFV are just prayers that usually go unanswered.

While the Ultra system in SFIV wasn't perfect, you weren't almost put into a situation where you knew you were gonna eat it. Some of them being really hard to pull off or required using Super meter to combo into it. (unless rufus LOL) This game you block a button into V-Trigger -> 50/50. You get hit by a random button into V-Trigger -> probably an L.

In SF4 you had so much variance in gameplay and gameplay strategies. Zoning characters that didn't have to resort to playing up close that had good fireballs and solid AA's. Rush down characters like Yun/Rufus. Characters that can play both really well like Ryu. Defensive characters that look for opportunities or play a strong neutral game like Honda. Then you have the beta version of what SFV is in El Fuerte and Seth BUT at least you had defensive options to help deal with the shenanigans. In 5 it's mostly all rock paper scissors over and over with the aggressor playing with two hands to your one.

SF4 was more like a chess match while SFV is just american football. the cleveland browns at that.

Yeah, agreed with this. SFV is at a much better place than 4 was 2 year in and I think we forget that sometimes. It just needs to be refined. In the beta I was saying how everyone should have parries with different animations like Ryu, but that's long since gone. Low tier just need to be buffed, and defense options buffed. Like making all V-reversals pretty safe or even plus on block. I mean, what are you even using meter for if your opponent is going to just ignore what you just did lol?

SF4 after one year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_b1aMJHDA *kisses fingertips* this shit right here is beautiful b.

SFV after one year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kROMDRdxK3U this is some of the highest level play possible for this game and it looks like a random ranked match between one Diamond player and a Super Gold player

Tekniqs

wasn't it one of combofiend's/capcom's main point to greatly decrease the 50/50 game compared to sf4? or just the vortex?

Of all the great interviews Born Free has been doing, I wonder why this one in particular compelled DryEyeRelief to create a topic?

lol

Shadoken

To all the people going "oh its just FChamp"

Many pros on that Very same channel also say the same thing. Watch the other vids.

Sayad

To all the people going "oh its just FChamp"

Many pros on that Very same channel also say the same thing. Watch the other vids.
And most people even in the SFV thread would agree(check the reactions to Bonchan's interview there). There's a deference when someone goes the extra mile for the drama and the persona he's trying to maintain.

Tekniqs

SF4 after one year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_b1aMJHDA *kisses fingertips* this shit right here is beautiful b.

man that event was just awesome all around.

valle/daigo mirror match
tokido wrecking jwong/Ortiz
Tokido's akuma pose
daigo walking down clakeyD from one side of the stage to the other just to throw him
FChamp breaking through and winning the vent.
JWong deflating the Sako hype. He was wrecking his shit in the casuals area lol

MrCarter

Are you serious, SFIV has been constantly shat on from vanilla all the way to ultra, from all sides of the equasion, from daigo "SFIV doesnt deserve my Ryu" umehara, to a random FG player, with comments like inv. backdashes and focus attack are anti-SF.

Those rose-tinted glasses are on full beam lol. I still remember the constant SFIV hate train because it just wouldn't stop as much as I wanted it to.

Capcom's biggest fuck up in S2 was not having a proper beta test for the new balance. Only a few people in the Playstation Experience could see what changes they made and even then it didn't make it to the final release.

USF4 had months before it was release and did location test in the arcades.

MrCarter

SFV after one year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kROMDRdxK3U this is some of the highest level play possible for this game and it looks like a random ranked match between one Diamond player and a Super Gold player

lol SFV in its first year shat on anything SFIV had to offer in it's entirety.

https://youtu.be/7t_8zXu3cP0

One of the best sets in SFV between these Japanese powerhouses, and that was only in year one.

Absolutely, if you play USF4 and try to go back to vanilla SF4, you realize how much all those small little tweaks throughout the cycle just made the game better. SFV has made a TON of bad decisions from the start and into S2, but the core gameplay itself is fun and can be improved over time. If you don't like the core gameplay itself then yeah, I can see why some people think the game is ass.

Street Fighter isn't supposed to be like a Marvel game though lol. SFIV did have a lot of setups and 50/50 setups but you at least had several defensive options to choose from. Marvel you at least have push block to get someone off of you. V-Reversals in SFV are just prayers that usually go unanswered.

While the Ultra system in SFIV wasn't perfect, you weren't almost put into a situation where you knew you were gonna eat it. Some of them being really hard to pull off or required using Super meter to combo into it. (unless rufus LOL) This game you block a button into V-Trigger -> 50/50. You get hit by a random button into V-Trigger -> probably an L.

In SF4 you had so much variance in gameplay and gameplay strategies. Zoning characters that didn't have to resort to playing up close that had good fireballs and solid AA's. Rush down characters like Yun/Rufus. Characters that can play both really well like Ryu. Defensive characters that look for opportunities or play a strong neutral game like Honda. Then you have the beta version of what SFV is in El Fuerte and Seth BUT at least you had defensive options to help deal with the shenanigans. In 5 it's mostly all rock paper scissors over and over with the aggressor playing with two hands to your one.

SF4 was more like a chess match while SFV is just american football. the cleveland browns at that.

I think the keyword here is variety (although SFIV was shoto clone central and let's not kid ourselves they all played the same), right now the META is too offense 50/50 heavy, if that's tweaked we might just have ourselves a pretty damn good game.

When you complain about 50/50 like he did and you realize there's more characters in SFIV with 50/50 setups you have no right to complain. Right now the strongest characters are 50/50 (for no reason really), which makes the problem seem like it's worse than it actually is, but it's not like it's too late to fix this. SF4 went thru various phases before striking some kind of balance (although shoto's were ALWAYS in mid-high/top tier).

Ultra's were/are ridiculous, it's at worst 1/4 of your opponents life (most were minimum 1/3 life) which doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize that you are rewarded ultra meter for getting hit. It seems to be like bad design when your Ultra gives you more damage and usability than pretty much every super in the game (most people just did EX moves because supers were NOT worth it). Most ultra's were easy to pull off or could combo easily or they were used as a raw punish, very few were hard to do. I'm not sure what you mean about not being put in a situation that you knew you were going to eat it, because the game heavily revolved upon that notion. I.e. You didn't want to low roundhouse chun-li if she had ultra or you don't throw fireballs against ryu with who has ultra.

V-triggers definitely need some kind of tweaks, but if the 50/50's are toned down then so will the usability of the v-trigger, again I'm not sure what kind of balance is needed :/

OS's were obnoxious, but man... SF4 brought something to the table that seems so real in retrospect compared to 5.

Here's what I don't get- why does it matter if novices can't hold their own with enthusiasts? The number of novices that move on to become serious players is so small, trying to grow that number to the point that it's significant... banking on that for your game to be a hit... I don't know, it seems completely off the mark. I think Capcom is overthought it, and they screwed up by hiring FGC folk to make decisions. Tons of people went to events to play SF4 even if they didn't know the ins and outs of OS's.

After reading the interview with Combofiend about how they're making all these decisions to favor novices in MvCI, decisions that 'make more sense'... it seems like another miscalculation.

When SFIV first came out fgc was super poverty but even without much money that game kept getting bigger and bigger both amongst tournament players and casuals. Can you see SFV growing like that? Honestly I don't see it. If anything I think without the money SFV would have been forgotten faster than anime games in tournaments. Also btw did Mr. Wizard announce Evo numbers yet this year? I suspect it's much lower than last year for sfv but I can be wrong.

Man, you got selective memory brah. Your preference for SF4 is making you think back on it too nostalgic fondness me thinks...lol This doesn't apply to so many characters unless you specifically learned something in training mode. Same thing with current Ibuki, Urien, and to an extent even Rog.

- Ibuki, old C.Viper, Elf fuete, twins, Rufus, T.Hawk, shoto play with FADC, f'n Guy! SF4 is full of 50/50's. And these defensive options were bypassed with OS all the time. Invincible back dash where rose or Chun out poked you all game with superior normals and zoning and you finally get them only to mistime a meaty by half a second (or online) and they can back-dash all the way to the edge of the screen again and reset everything?

SFV is two years out, like seriously, we're comparing it 4 which universally everyone states took a nose dive after Super anyway.

You guys need to be patient. It's way too early to start ripping SFV and bigging up 4. I can see third strike at least, but 4??! OG Sagat? C.viper where you can't even tell which direction she's doing her burn kick? Shotos getting 3 or 4 safe guesses on you with an invincible move, hard knockdown setups with Akuma almost impossible to block, some characters Focus attack being miles better than others, Elena and her f'n Healing!!! There were so many annoying things in 4's lifecycle it's hard to count now. We have a few issues in 5, aggression is rewarded to much, defense needs improving, fix some of the cast. That's it.

Dude...4 is just not what's up. That backdash, lol...just awful.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Vanilla SFIV was anything but boring. These 15ers. People like Ironfist made things entertaining. The OG TS streams and Haunts streaming GAF getting blown up by the biggest Brett Favre fan in the world. Timedog and his shenangians. The OG SF thread was where it was at. Max, Art, Marky, etc were all regs.

JusDoIt

I think most of the complaints pro players have about SFV are fair and legit, but it makes for some of the most monotonous and trite interview material. Like we get it.

Anyone who says SFV is better to watch than SFIV 🤔
vanilla especially was fun to watch. But we're talking about playing it. It got horrible after awhile with all the updates. And there are some amazing matches already in V. Check out Tokido vs Momochi set last year, incredible.

Absolutely, if you play USF4 and try to go back to vanilla SF4, you realize how much all those small little tweaks throughout the cycle just made the game better. SFV has made a TON of bad decisions from the start and into S2, but the core gameplay itself is fun and can be improved over time. If you don't like the core gameplay itself then yeah, I can see why some people think the game is ass.

I think the keyword here is variety (although SFIV was shoto clone central and let's not kid ourselves they all played the same), right now the META is too offense 50/50 heavy, if that's tweaked we might just have ourselves a pretty damn good game.

When you complain about 50/50 like he did and you realize there's more characters in SFIV with 50/50 setups you have no right to complain. Right now the strongest characters are 50/50 (for no reason really), which makes the problem seem like it's worse than it actually is, but it's not like it's too late to fix this. SF4 went thru various phases before striking some kind of balance (although shoto's were ALWAYS in mid-high/top tier).

Ultra's were/are ridiculous, it's at worst 1/4 of your opponents life (most were minimum 1/3 life) which doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize that you are rewarded ultra meter for getting hit. It seems to be like bad design when your Ultra gives you more damage and usability than pretty much every super in the game (most people just did EX moves because supers were NOT worth it). Most ultra's were easy to pull off or could combo easily or they were used as a raw punish, very few were hard to do. I'm not sure what you mean about not being put in a situation that you knew you were going to eat it, because the game heavily revolved upon that notion. I.e. You didn't want to low roundhouse chun-li if she had ultra or you don't throw fireballs against ryu with who has ultra.

V-triggers definitely need some kind of tweaks, but if the 50/50's are toned down then so will the usability of the v-trigger, again I'm not sure what kind of balance is needed :/

In regards to SF4 50/50's, I know they exist and were mostly BS but the game gave you a number of defensive options to deal with it. In SFV you just have prayers lol.

In SF4 you could actually play a strong neutral game and win for doing that. Ultras weren't perfect and yes you had to adjust your game plan as to which ultra your opponent chose and play a bit more cautious but isn't that the same thing for characters with strong V-Triggers? Shit V-Triggers are a stronger comeback factor than Ultras ever were lol. I've never done 100% immediately with a damn ultra.

You don't want to low roundhouse with any character now since they made how negative on block they are universal so one on block could be st.MK Vtrigger ggs.

Another thing I preferred in SFIV was that jumping in often seemed like a bad idea. If someone had Ultra stored up with extra meter you had to chain yourself down to the ground because if you jumped in like an idiot, you were gonna get punished hard - Smart play.

In SFV, jumping in never seems like it's a bad idea or that you'll be punished for it heavily OR if the character will even be able to AA you since the risk reward of their AA working usually isn't in their favour unless you have a DP or a LP AA. This game promotes playing like a jackass 90% of the time. look at eita do work lmao

Anyone who says SFV is better to watch than SFIV ��
just wasn't raised right tbh

Man, you got selective memory brah. Your preference for SF4 is making you think back on it too nostalgic fondness me thinks...lol This doesn't apply to so many characters unless you specifically learned something in training mode. Same thing with current Ibuki, Urien, and to an extent even Rog.

- Ibuki, old C.Viper, Elf fuete, twins, Rufus, T.Hawk, shoto play with FADC, f'n Guy! SF4 is full of 50/50's. And these defensive options were bypassed with OS all the time. Invincible back dash where rose or Chun out poked you all game with superior normals and zoning and you finally get them only to mistime a meaty by half a second (or online) and they can back-dash all the way to the edge of the screen again and reset everything?

SFV is two years out, like seriously, we're comparing it 4 which universally everyone states took a nose dive after Super anyway.

You guys need to be patient. It's way too early to start ripping SFV and bigging up 4. I can see third strike at least, but 4??! OG Sagat? C.viper where you can't even tell which direction she's doing her burn kick? Shotos getting 3 or 4 safe guesses on you with an invincible move, hard knockdown setups with Akuma almost impossible to block, some characters Focus attack being miles better than others, Elena and her f'n Healing!!! There were so many annoying things in 4's lifecycle it's hard to count now. We have a few issues in 5, aggression is rewarded to much, defense needs improving, fix some of the cast. That's it.

Ibuki and Elf I'll agree on but the rest not so much. Like I said, you have many defensive options to choose from in how to defend. T Hawk tho lmao what. Shoto's with FADC? What's the 50/50? Guy has a 50/50? nigga what

Blocking against C Viper online.. yea that's not happening lmao. Again, you have options to deal with burn kicks but Viper was never a SF character but what I appreciated about her is that only certain people who put in that time to get her down can play her at her best. In SF5 you can learn the most complicated character in the game in an evening then be tournament ready lmao just get down some meaties and a VT setup and you're gucci

If those defensive options were bypassed with OS' all the time then Luffy wouldn't have been as successful as he was lmao. Rose and Chun played a great neutral game and had a very slippery gameplan. What's wrong with that? Do you prefer to just get dashed up command thrown 3 times in a row then meatied into death? Is that what you prefer? To just get rag dolled like a heeediot over and over or lose instantly off of getting clipped by a random normal into VT, or play against a character with strong neutral?

I been trying to be patient with SFV/Capcom but they keep shitting the bed. I made a post like last year in March that this game will be a respectable game after a year and its in the same position or possibly worse now lol

I hope you go to a tourny and hold 5 command grabs in a row then are forced to shake that niggas hands and say good games

Shadoken

LMFAO... Thawk?Guy? was one of the worst characters in SSF4. And then only got somewhat Decent mid tier by Ultra.
What 50/50s does Guy even have? I hope you arent talking about that ridiculously slow overhead. Posts like this really have me questioning the skill level of some players.

Also Backdash had like a million option selects to beat it. The only problem i could see with SF4 was how complex it got with all the mechanics.

You have a point with characters like Fuerte/Viper/Seth..etc. Those matchups were definetely more 50/50 oriented. But the problem with SFV is how they neutered the neutral game to the point almost every matchup is more 50/50 oriented.

sephi22

As an El Fuerte player, wake up backdash and focus blew up many of my options.

Have rarely been on the receiving end so dunno how frustrating it was to fight him, but couldn't have been more than fighting Balrog in S02. Fuerte lacked big damage so at best it was death by a thousand cuts..err rather death by a thousand 50/50s.

He was fun as fuck to play though. Unlike anyone in molasses fighter V

LMFAO... Thawk?Guy? was one of the worst characters in SSF4. And then only got somewhat Decent mid tier by Ultra.
What 50/50s does Guy even have? I hope you arent talking about that ridiculously slow overhead. Posts like this really have me questioning the skill level of some players.

Also Backdash had like a million option selects to beat it. The only problem i could see with SF4 was how complex it got with all the mechanics.
?? Challenge accepted.

CFN Omnicloud or omnistalgic, I'm rusty, but I'll show u the business ;-)

And the point wasn't to complain about how easy/hard any of that stuff was, it was to pinpoint there were ton of 50/50's in the game and cheap stuff. Beating options for backlash was also easier on a stick than pad for me, and way more players play pad.

T Hawks whole game was about command throwing you, a guess between throwing and blocking every time he got close. Guy players abused his elbow and running sliding was a guessing game between whether he would jump, throw or do a normal after the run.

I'm not debating how good these options are, just stated it for the absurdity that SFV is more reliant on 50/50 and mixups.

@Count black again I'm not using those examples as the toughest 50/50's just pointing out how like every character, even low tier ones had guessing games and it was much more prevalent in 4 than 5. I enjoyed the guessing game of Makoto for example but always felt Viper and Elf required too low a skill to be that difficult to defend against. SFV is not there yet.

I'm with u though brah, I've hardly touched the game since they nerfed my Ken. They are moving at a snails pace, but hell, I have to have hope in something.

Lol @ shadowken I've never even seen that tourney, not what I was referring to. Hope I explained it better above.

T Hawks whole game was about command throwing you, a guess between throwing and blocking every time he got close. Guy players abused his elbow and running sliding was a guessing game between whether he would jump, throw or do a normal after the run.

B2apd05.jpg

Shadoken

Guy players abused his elbow and running sliding was a guessing game between whether he would jump, throw or do a normal after the run.

I'm not debating how good these options are, just stated it for the absurdity that SFV is more reliant on 50/50 and mixups.

His elbow is not an overhead. And his slide is heavily punishable on block. If you saw any match people only used his Run Slide as a combo ender. And the comment about Skill was referring to SFIV. For you to judge Guy as a 50/50 character. That is something I wouldn't expect at Mid level or High level play.

A 50/50 is when YOU guess Option A or Option B. Guy doing an Elbow or Running Slide lose to Focus Attack/DP/ Well timed AA,Poke.

A character like Ibuki for example is a real 50/50 where you need to guess Left/right for her Kunai mixup. And even then there are some escape options like Focus backdash or Armored moves.

I think you arent understanding the meaning of 50/50 mixup. Guessing between High/Low isnt a true 50/50 mixup if there is a defensive option that beats both.

lol you guys never played T hawk before?

- Remember he has that Dive kick move? He would space it so it was kinda safe and then command throw you, or fake it to get you to jump and grab you out the air.

- After air to air with Thawk you have to guess whether he's gonna command you or Super/ultra you.

- move over to Guy, you don't remember players spamming elbows over and over again? It stuffed a lot of things and had a great hitbox. Guy had a mixup heavy KD game as well you can alter how far his command jump (think it was a roll) could go.

Man...even E Honda had a mixup, spam butt spashes and it could be someone difficult to see what side he would land on.

Again, I'm not saying you couldn't figure this stuff out, my point is every character had some type of mixup guessing game and hard knockdowns promoted guessing in general.

Is that not the bases of a 50/50? Guessing?

A yes...shadowken I get you guys know. I should be using mixup, I didn't know 50/50 refers to strictly that option A or option B scenario. My bad....bad term to use to express my point.

SF4 and the sequels were absolute shit imo. Big mess, OS on everything, crazy stuff (Unblockables all day, Shoryu FADC being safe for something like 6 years lmao)

SFV is a mess too, but : a) SFV killed SFIV, which is a good thing b) They can fix the game (if they want to).

Shadoken

- move over to Guy, you don't remember players spamming elbows over and over again? It stuffed a lot of things and had a great hitbox. Guy had a mixup heavy KD game as well you can alter how far his command jump (think it was a roll) could go.

Is that not the bases of a 50/50? Guessing?

Yes it has a great hitbox. The purpose of that move was zoning tool more than mixup. It does not allow you to randomly move in with Forward moving Special , like say Rush Punches. You beat the move by using Lows to make it whiff and punish him. Like say Ryu/Kens C.MK.

IT IS NOT AN OH. I dont know what mixup you are talking about. Since crouch blocking beats both Elbow and Lows.

Both Guy's KD off Sweep and Slide leave you right in front of him , so he cannot Jump and do a mixup. He needs to do a neutral jump to perform a safe jump. You cant call an offensive option that beats certain defensive options a 50/50. Just watch any Guy replay from USF4. You will see he is mostly a Neutral and Frame Trap heavy character. Not about KD 50/50 mixups.

l
A yes...shadowken I get you guys know. I should be using mixup, I didn't know 50/50 refers to strictly that option A or option B scenario. My bad....bad term to use to express my point.

Ah now That makes A LOT MORE sense. Technically every character has mixups. But not every character is 50/50.

Top Bottom