• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston kimono exhibit in race row aka wearing kimono makes you racist now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
I'm trying to think of a parallel in Western culture that we might get upset over but I'm drawing a blank for anything that isn't connected to Christianity in general, and I'd hope we wouldn't be as a culture defined by the opinions of the followers of one religion.

"japanese people eating at mcdonalds is culture apropiation!!! O:< "

Ri'Orius

While I don't think racist is the right word, I do think this is perhaps one of the better examples of cultural appropriation out there.

If it were "Come celebrate Japanese culture by wearing kimonos!" that'd be great! But it's "Come celebrate this European painting by wearing kimonos!" The kimono is traditionally Japanese: associating it with Monet because of one painting he did (versus the, what, centuries of kimono-wearing throughout Japanese history?) smacks of misappropriation.

Aparna "Pampi" Das, one of the protesters at the museum, said the exhibit "goes back to the world exhibition in Europe where visitors would come see people in cages brought from Africa"

i must've missed the day in History class where they covered the Japanese slave trade that involved binding them in their own kimonos on the boat over from Japan.

this is disgusting. my wife and I bought traditional Japanese clothing (jinbei and yukata) in Japan on our vacation there, and the Japanese people who helped us pick them out and try them on were more than happy to do it. we've worn them to local (in the US) Japanese festivals and a summer party, and received compliments from both Japanese and non-Japanese people. most often the Japanese people were interested to hear about how we acquired them and our time in the country.

Hatty

Someone post those "white People" masks that they sell in shops in japan
I can't find a picture

BajiBoxer

Banned
So, is a non-Japanese person protesting the wearing of a kimono as cultural appropriation cultural appropriation itself? Cultural appropriation inception?

Trouble

Banned
Does that mean if I go to the Japanese Garden here in Seattle and do the tea ceremony I'm partaking in cultural appropriation?

So, is a non-Japanese person protesting the wearing of a kimono as cultural appropriation cultural appropriation itself? Cultural appropriation inception?

Outrage Appropriation.

mantidor

Yeah I'm with the overall sentiment that this is completely ridiculous.

What I haven't understand however is how cultural appropriation is somehow morally wrong, is the most normal and regular thing that happens in any country and it actually enriches everyone involved, when you are mocking a culture is a different thing, but cultures melting and sharing is something that is bound to happen, the opposite is actually kind of racist, trying to keep this piece of clothing or that piece of music to be exclusively used by a certain group of people.

edit:

Cultural appropriation doesn't really exist outside America.

Oh I'm starting to understand this now.

So was Oprah being racist towards Indians when she wore an Indian Sari (Saree) when Bollywood Actor Aishwariya Rai came on her show?
I mean people are so sensitive these days yet they ignore true racism and segregation when it happens...

SystemBug

While I don't think racist is the right word, I do think this is perhaps one of the better examples of cultural appropriation out there.

If it were "Come celebrate Japanese culture by wearing kimonos!" that'd be great! But it's "Come celebrate this European painting by wearing kimonos!" The kimono is traditionally Japanese: associating it with Monet because of one painting he did (versus the, what, centuries of kimono-wearing throughout Japanese history?) smacks of misappropriation.

well there it is.

Forkball

I ate sushi this week. WITH chopsticks.

On a scale from Archie Bunker to the confederate flag, how racist am I?

Riposte

She said the protests will continue until the museum issues a formal apology and opens a panel to discuss this incident in public with some of the protesters as panelists.

hahaha

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Don't let me catch any of you motherfuckers wearing kilts or playing bagpipes. I'll have the Scottish Al Sharpton on the phone quicker than you can say "Milngavie".

Japan is one of the world's largest economies and its cultural exports have wide international reach. Japan actively promotes the exporting of its culture (see: "Cool Japan"). This isn't a newly-discovered culture that's being exploited.

Trouble

Banned
did you make sure to drown the sushi in soy sauce that had wasabi already added to it?

If that's the wrong way, I don't want to be right. Also, Japanese people I've talked to couldn't give a fuck how people eat sushi. It's not offensive to eat sushi with chopsticks, just weird to them.

Fuchsdh

This is weird. I don't get it at all. Is this something exclusive to America? Like how you sometimes see online people saying that Hip Hop should be exclusive to black Americans.

Some people are bizarrely protective of "their" stuff. It's always struck me as bizarre and unhelpful, but I don't think it's an American or a racial thing. Hipsters or nerds who don't want anyone else to share in their stuff have the same motivations, really.

The stuff about race seems positively damaging, though, because it's not about a band you like, it's saying that human history is wrong&#8212;"how dare Marco Polo share knowledge of the East! He was appropriating Chinese culture!"

Anyhow, put my marker down for when I need to get offended by someone wearing lederhosen or a dirndl.

Lol, years ago while practicing with chopsticks a Chinese friend looked at me and said "it's painful to watch you eat".

I just ask for forks if they don't give them to me. I either eat with western cutlery, or everyone around me has to wait for hours while I fumble with chopsticks and make a mess.

PSqueak

Banned
Is a Japanese guy dressing up as a cowboy in front of a painting of a cowboy cultural appropriation as well?

Japan has a literal subculture all about american culture appropiation, it's called yanki and basically is a japanized version of greaser culture.

But i don't see anybody trying to defend poor americans from the mean japanese cultural appropiators.

Edit: oh yeah, i forgot, they also are big fans of cosmetic surgery to make their eyes look rounder, a procedure dubbed by them as "americanizing" your eyes.

Keby

You're surprised?

How long have been following these internet faux outrage hissy fits?

I called it when I read the title.

I guess I shouldn't be.

They way these people view life, I should be mad my gf isn't wearing a qipao (chinese dress) at all times. How dare she enjoy A&E clothing! Outrage I tell you! Outrage!

Lesath

Lol, years ago while practicing with chopsticks a Chinese friend looked at me and said "it's painful to watch you eat".

Could be worse: I once saw two white women eating dim sum with their fingers while sipping champagne. I was horrified.

Hurm.

This is the protest that MFA was worried about?
IMG_2283.JPG

d328c2d2.jpg

It's a weird protest and a weird exhibit, because honestly the Kimono thing isn't really about the kimono at all (which I guess is where the protest stems from). The MFA event was about this Monet painting. They allowed people to "put on" a similar item (mostly a similarly colored drape, not a real kimono) and take a picture with the picture.
Every week, visitors were encouraged to "channel your inner Camille Monet" by posing in front of Claude Monet's "La Japonaise" while trying on a replica of the kimono Monet's wife, Camille, wears in the painting.
I guess the idea is people would engage with the painting? Not really about Japanese culture at all. Which begs the questions why focus on it, but hey museums are on the struggle, so they get wacky.
_84161506_lajaponaisewithmodelinfront.jpg

Anyways, don't necessarily agree with their aim. But hey, it's speech. Much like the counter protesters.

KimonoIMG_5324.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
God forbid people break down barriers by enjoying and celebrating each other's culture. This is so asinine.

Goldrush

I don't understand how wearing a kimono makes you think lesser of the Japanese.

If they put it on in yellowface and started mimicking the Japanese language or Japanese gestures that'd be one thing.

It is asking participants to mimic a painting that, while it isn't of a Japanese person (I think?), consists of many stereotypical aspects. Wouldn't be surprise if many people crossed that line when trying to "get into the spirit."

If that's the wrong way, I don't want to be right. Also, Japanese people I've talked to couldn't give a fuck how people eat sushi. It's not offensive to eat sushi with chopsticks, just weird to them.

the argument is that, for instance, if you're served sushi that was prepared in front of you by an actual sushi chef, you should eat it as is, as that is the way the chef intended you to experience the fish.

the other argument is that you can eat sushi however you damn well please.

both sides have merit.

Zoe

the argument is that, for instance, if you're served sushi that was prepared in front of you by an actual sushi chef, you should eat it as is, as that is the way the chef intended you to experience the fish.

the other argument is that you can eat sushi however you damn well please.

both sides have merit.

It's like buying a $75 steak and asking for A1.

mantidor

Well reading about cultural appropriation is its own rabbit hole.

I've learned that it refers to a dominant culture appropriating things from an oppressed culture, I don't think this particular case apply, and I really think the protesters being non Japanese is the most absurd thing here.

Mesoian

It's like buying a $75 steak and asking for A1.

Though at the same time, I paid 75 dollars for the steak, I'll eat it anyway I damn well please, and unless you're willing to pay 75 dollars to save the steak, you can shut up.

Tayaya

Japan's retailer Aeon features white people and black people wearing yukata in their latest TV ad for their 2015 yukata collection.

Proof

The idea of non-Japanese people wearing traditional Japanese attire is like the exact opposite of racist.

Whoever is protesting this is fucking stupid, and whoever is caving to the protests is a shining example of what's wrong with the world these days.

vityaz

Japan's retailer Aeon features white people and black people wearing yukata in their latest TV ad for their 2015 yukata collection.

Proof

The idea of non-Japanese people wearing traditional Japanese attire is like the exact opposite of racist.

Whoever is protesting this is fucking stupid, and whoever is caving to the protests is a shining example of what's wrong with the world these days.

Ugh, that tv ad. As a person of non-color, I feel offended.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'm not Japanese, but here's my experience wihen i active in Japan learning center, where customer can come to learn Japanese culture and stuff.
We provide service for those who want to try yukata, pose and take a picture with it, but not kimono, reason is because they really hard to use, and the cloth is really expensive. One of the staff is also Japanese, and she's okay with it. Seriously, there's nothing racist about wearing kimono and stuff.

Xcellere

I also find it mildly ironic that the culture they're trying to protect from "appropriation and imperialism" is historically one of the worst offenders of imperialism the world has ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom