• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxed Dualshock 4 controllers out in the wild!

Marceles

As much as gaming and accessories cost, I definitely keep the packaging of my stuff. Packaging, instruction manual on how to use the controllers even though I alreadyknow how, everything.

I don't agree, It's not amazing, but does the job.
However I will say that I do like the fact Sony are using the original logo:

Playstation-Logo.png

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
As much as gaming and accessories cost, I definitely keep the packaging of my stuff. Packaging, instruction manual on how to use the controllers even though I alreadyknow how, everything.

Because you feel like you're paying for the packaging? The packaging is usually worthless, no matter what the product costs. Free your mind!!!

hesido

I don't like it because packaging!

No, seriously, that is a horrible package. Whether we keep it or throw it away or feel we are buying packaging is irrelevant.

But this means we can buy it and test it on PC's, NO?

Eusis

But currently it's fully functional plug and play for PC, minus the touchpad and sixaxis right?
I wouldn't be surprised if the share button ran into the same issues on PC as on PS3, but like I said they can always work around stuff like that eventually I'm sure. Nevermind that with key binding in the right games you can probably deal with it just fine.

Paskil

I was planning on displaying these in a gallery and my plans are now ruined due to the packaging. Get real with the packaging comments, lol.

Controller packaging? I can't even imagine... what exactly would you save? It's a ripped plastic shell when you're done, ugly for display, ugly for collection, ugly for anything really.

This packaging is definitely uglier than the DS3 packaging, but like... it's going in the trash for me. The packaging, that is. I understand saving console boxes sometimes, but the actual controller boxes.... that I don't ge. If many people save those, especially with how they're packaged nowadays, that's news to me. But I guess it shouldn't surprise me: some people save everything.
Good example that came up recently - for Amazon's dualshock 4 trade in promotion, if you sent in a DS3 without a box, you recieved a fraction of the already tiny trade in value.

Of course, people trading in controllers that came with their consoles were boned from the start haha

Dereck

Judging from the posts in this thread, people keep their controller boxes? Otherwise no one should really care.

I wasn't going to preorder an extra controller at launch but I will impulse buy the shit out of the first next gen thing I see on the shelves.

So FUCKING hyped.

Jay Fray

Quick someone go buy one and show us the goodies.

I'm not so sure you can buy it. Those controllers in the OP's picture are behind the counter, not on the floor. It's likely they're just displaying them to generate interest or fill the wall.

GeeDuhb

Because you feel like you're paying for the packaging? The packaging is usually worthless, no matter what the product costs. Free your mind!!!

Wait, so you are telling me GAF is yet again complaining about ridiculous, pointless things?! NO WAY!

But seriously, lol...nothing is ever good enough for you guys. I don't care if the packaging is pink and covered in glitter. I will take it home, rip it to shreds getting the controller out, and proceed to deposit it in the dumpster. Problem of "ugly" packaging solved.

But then again, you guys just love to complain...

And for those of you saying you keep the box, I can understand keeping the package of a console or game, but a controller? That's empty with a see-through front? Yeah...

VanWinkle

If I saw one of these at a local place, I would immediately buy it. I don't care if I wouldn't be able to play games with it for 23 days.

Amir0x

Banned
Good example that came up recently - for Amazon's dualshock 4 trade in promotion, if you sent in a DS3 without a box, you recieved a fraction of the already tiny trade in value.

Of course, people trading in controllers that came with their consoles were boned from the start haha

oh shit... that is weird. What do they do with the box? They really re-use that shit? lol

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Unbelievably easy to confuse with PS3 packaging on first glance, there's definitely going to be a big mess of returned controllers from confused consumers this holiday.

This is Sony's biggest misstep in the PS4 launch, branding in a console transition should be as idiot-proof as possible. There should be immediate, distinct differences in packaging color and style to neatly seperate the two gens' products and peripherals. But PS3's branding is blue with flowy patterns, PS4's branding is blue with slightly different flowy patterns, and the style of the packaging is near-as-damn identical.

sexsay as fuck. They needs these back

Agreed. That new packaging looks 'cheap', for the lack of a better expression. Reminds me of those shovelware PlayStation replicas from China ( GameStations and what have you ) - they had similar packaging.

On a more serious note: I don't really care that much. I want to see a GAFfer buy one up and upload a video of the unpacking process.

todd360

Unbelievably easy to confuse with PS3 packaging on first glance, there's definitely going to be a big mess of returned controllers from confused consumers this holiday.

This is Sony's biggest misstep in the PS4 launch, branding in a console transition should be as idiot-proof as possible. There should be immediate, distinct differences in packaging color and style to neatly seperate the two gens' products and peripherals. But PS3's branding is blue with flowy patterns, PS4's branding is blue with slightly different flowy patterns, and the style of the packaging is near-as-damn identical.

Ok heres a box complaint I can agree with.

aro52

THIS is the real concern with the look of the packaging. Having a "family look" is one thing, but they need to differentiate a little better between platforms.

SnakeEyes

Banned
As someone who not only has owned a PS3 and had to buy the controllers in these packages, but also as someone who has worked for SCE and has had to deal with these packages when dealing with in-store display units, blister packaging SUCKS ASS! I much prefer the current packaging with the cardboard surround.

Top Bottom