• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

PR_rambo

Banned
Parker v Wilder is a good matchup, stoked for that

Khan is way better than Horn, really excited to finally see them fight, take what i can get since he wont fight Crawford

Pacquiao vs Khan set for April 23rd. Not Crawford but better than Jeff Horn. Should be entertaining.

Joseph Parker

ugh we are in boxing heaven this year so far! garcia vs Thurman, canelo vs chaves even though it may not be super exiting but still and now khan vs manny! People are sleeping on that fight, thank god the joke horn vs manny didn't happen. Khan styles will be interesting vs manny, can go either way. hopefully the fall delivers unlike last year, we need that ggg vs canelo among other fights.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah... Wilder looked gun shy until he landed that perfect right... and then.. that's that.

He's very flawed, but damn.. that power is legit.

Syder

So Khan might get KO'd in back-to-back fights...

I've always disliked Khan but I'll be rooting for him. Manny is just a POS now.

pixelation

Possible but manny doesn't hit harder than canelo right? Khans speed and boxing style can bother manny.
No... but Khan is the definition of a "glass jaw", and if Pacquiao is to end his KO drought then Amir is the more likely victim.
So Khan might get KO'd in back-to-back fights...

I've always disliked Khan but I'll be rooting for him. Manny is just a POS now.
Why is Manny a POS now?
He could but he hasn't KO'd anyone in a while
Agreed... but he still punches hard (wobbled Mayweather) mix it with Khan's lacking chin and it's not that unlikely.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I will always regret every single ounce of respect I ever had for Pacquaio. And the man used to be one of my favorite fighters. Sincerely hope that Khan knocks his ass out. Disgusting person, with disgusting views. Fuck him.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

And this

Pacquiao brought up the controversial murder of transgender Jennifer Laude by U.S. Marine member James Scott Pemberton during a debate over passage of Senate Bill 1271, which aims to fight discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.

Lance Cpl. Joseph Scott Pemberton was found guilty of homicide for the 2014 killing of Jennifer Laude in a hotel room after discovering she was transgender.

While commenting on the incident, Pacquiao alleged that transgender individuals could “deceive” others by dressing as the opposite sex, and may be used to commit fraud.

The pro boxer supported his argument with a reference to the Bible, stating, “Even in the Bible, we read that the woman should wear women’s clothing; and the man, for men’s wear. That’s what I believe.”

Piece of complete shit. Fuck Pacquiao.

TuXx

He could but he hasn't KO'd anyone in a while
I don't think Manny knocks him out, but I could see Khan getting dropped a few times in this one. Manny's straight left is still lethal, and he has shown that he can sneak it in even against great defenses (Floyd getting hurt by it in the third).

Plus, Khan is coming off a vicious KO. You don't usually take these types off fights after getting knocked out, so who knows where he's at mentally.

Tom_Cody

Round of the year candidate from Brezeale and Ugonoh just now.
Brezeale is a fun kind of terrible. That was a throwback to Tuesday Night Fights on USA with C and D level guys going to war!
I was pulling for Ugonoh, but I could tell by how reckless he was fighting he would either get caught, or gas out. Really it was both lol!
Man, what a fun fight. I'm not sure how high Brezeale's ceiling is though.

Good round for Hurd but I got Harrison up
Great round!
Another great round!
Another super fun fight. Based on their histories I thought it was going to be a late KO with Harrison winning at the time of the stoppage and that's exactly how it played out. Good work by Hurd in gradually breaking down Harrison.

lol. All it took was one good shot.
Wilder's power is his saving grace. One good shot and all that work is undone.
Nice KO by Wilder, but I'd like to know why he was so tentative up to that point. I can't wait for his next fight.

Very nice card overall.

BadAss2961

Nice KO by Wilder, but I'd like to know why he was so tentative up to that point. I can't wait for his next fight.
Coming off surgery against a game opponent, a big dude with some skill who came to win.

Would've liked to have seen Deontay be more aggressive, but he played it smart. He knows all he needs is one good shot to take someone out, so he can afford to start slow and wait for openings in early rounds against most guys. I think he would've turned it up in the 2nd half of the fight had the big shot not come yet.

Tom_Cody

Thinking I want Bellew to win.

If Haye wins, he'll get AJ if he beats Klitschko. Which isn't a fight Haye deserves. Bellew winning would be great.
Bellew won't win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17FoyJwjtEM&feature=youtu.be&t=19m52s

You have a fat Bellew who couldn't cut it at 175 moving up to face Haye who had retired for 4 years ago but had to return because he went broke. Eddie Hearn is a genius promoter that he was able to make this a PPV in the UK.

Syder

Bellew already exceeding expectations
wtzgU.gif

Finally. Bellew gassed himself and couldn't get the power behind his punches. Can't take anything away from him though even with an injured Haye, he stepped up in weight, took the risk and did well early on when everyone thought Haye would knock him out.

Beefy

Haye lost due to a snapped achilles and being pretty shit
Bellew won but couldn't knock out a guy with one leg.

Both fuck off?
please

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not gonna lie, I'm not even sure Haye would win without a bum leg. Dude tried to cherry pick...and got knocked around. Couldn't help but root for Homer Simpson. I mean Bellew. Still, Haye's got heart. To fight with a leg like this takes one hell of a guy. Can't hate on that.

El Topo

He's 36, he moved to heavyweight, he had various injuries throughout his career, he retired and came back. Of course he cherry picked. He just wanted a title shot and PPV money (I guess).

God I'm salty about this loss. Bellew is beyond terrible. Still, Haye looked a little old even before the injury. I really wish we'd have gotten to see more of him during his prime. Charismatic, entertaining and sometimes involved in pretty fun fights. I do think we can agree that his weak chin is a myth at this point. It hardly ever got tested after Thompson (against Mormeck once I think?), so people kept speculating it's (still) shaky but he looked good in that department today.

Still, at his age + the injury we're probably not getting any more high stakes fights with his involvement. It's too risky, his boxing style is pretty incompatible with aging and he's always been a pretty smart businessman which is why he's unlikely to seek fights against strong opponents. Probably not advisable at this point anyway. Cash out against Bellew in a rematch and that's that.

I wanted Bellew to win but not like this. Felt sorry for Haye which I didn't think would happen. His corner should have pulled him out sooner though.

Top Bottom