• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy field hockey star kicked off high school girl's team for being 'too good'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmo

Banned
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/2...off-high-school-girl-team-for-being-too-good/

SOUTHAMPTON, NY – A 13-year-old Long Island boy who has been the star of a local high school girl's field hockey team for the past two years has been kicked off the team for being too dominant of a player, MyFoxNY reports.

Keeling Pilaro was told he could no longer play for Southampton High School's varsity girl's field hockey team this year after becoming the team's star over the past two years.

Section 11, which oversees Suffolk County's high school sports, determined that as a boy, Keeling had too significant an advantage over the other players.

"(Keeling is) having a significant adverse effect on some of his opposing female players," Section 11 claimed according to MyFoxNY. "The rules state he would be allowed to play if he wasn't the dominant player."

Section 11's executive director, Ed Cinelli, told MyFoxNY, "As a sport it's a girls sport. When a boy plays, it leads the way for other male players to come in and take over."

Keeling learned to play field hockey while in Ireland, where it is also a men's sport. At 4 feet 8 inches and 82 pounds, he says he does not feel he is at an advantage, or that he is even significantly better than his opponents. He says some of the girls he has played against are faster and stronger than he is.

"I do hope they let me play," he told MyFoxNY. "I really like these girls -- they are my family."

Keeling and his parents have already lost his initial appeal, but they will plead their case again in May.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Obama Administration has got their hands in everything.

Kabouter

Why is a boy playing in a girl's team?

I'm guessing the sport has insufficient popularity in the United States, at least amongst men, for there to be a boys team there.

Section 11's executive director, Ed Cinelli, told MyFoxNY, "As a sport it's a girls sport. When a boy plays, it leads the way for other male players to come in and take over."

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I didn't even know boys played field hockey until I went overseas.

Yeah, field hockey is definitely only a women's sport in the US. I've never really understood why. But for the majority of males, this is the only way to play.

Slayven

tumblr_lksdcjDmBg1qz96eoo1_400.jpg

Isn't this illegal or something? I thought a guy would play in a "women's" sport if there wasn't a "men's" team, and vice-versa. This allowed guys to play field hockey and girls the ability to wrestle.

Slayven

Isn't this illegal or something? I thought a guy would play in a "women's" sport if there wasn't a "men's" team, and vice-versa. This allowed guys to play field hockey and girls the ability to wrestle.

Double standard. I hope he sues and wins, and comes back in full beast mode.

Kosmo

Banned

Yes, but apparently you're only allowed to play if you're not 'too good' - which I assume only applies to boys playing girls sports and not vice versa.

Double standard. I hope he sues and wins, and comes back in full beast mode.

And this is part of the problem - suing is what got us into this mess in the first place instead of just saying "Boys play on boys teams, girls play on girls teams."

Why is a boy playing in a girl's team?

One of my grad school roommates was on the Club field hockey team. He was also the best player. It's apparently a huge sport over in his native Pakistan.

In the US, the perception is that "men have Lacrosse and real hockey, why do we need field hockey?"

Mumei

This reminds me of an older controversy involving boys and girls field hockey teams.

Of course in that situation, there were some differences:

Two Pittsburgh schools, Vincentian and Sewickley Academy, have boys on their girls field hockey teams, as do several eastern Pennsylvania schools. The Chatham (Mass.) High team attracted national attention after it added 5-foot-9, 145-pound junior Niles Draper to its roster, prompting numerous opponents to forfeit.

"It's not an experiment," Vincentian coach Judy Williamson said. "The boys are players; they're just like everyone else on the team."

But they're not like everyone else. Karpinski, at 6-foot-1 and 225 pounds, weighs twice as much as some of his teammates; Palumbo is 6-1 and 170. Their all-too-visible presence is unnerving to opponents and all-too-nervy to many parents.

And here his physical advantage is (I'm guessing) insubstantial.

Big-E

Seeing as how the kid is tiny, don't have that much of a problem with him playing. If the dude was 6 foot 4 and 250 pounds than I can see there being an issue. Have to treat these type of situations on a case by case basis.

You can't do this on a case by case basis. Either you say it's a girls league, or it's a co-ed league, you can't pick and choose only the lousy or short or unathletic boys to be eligible.

what do you think would happen if a girl star player sat on top of an all boys team?

Pregnancy?

A boy is more likely to be a better athlete. If you were a parent of a girl on an opposing team you'd be pissed if they let a boy play against you.

The rule just needs to be no co-ed is either full on allowed or not allowed.

ToxicAdam

You know, if there were a player playing a sport and he tested for steroids, he would be banned from the sport. A post-pubescent boy playing with girls is essentially a player on steroids. I don't think it's really fair to the women. Just because the guy might be small, doesn't mean he can't be stronger or faster because of his inherent biological advantages.

A boy is more likely to be a better athlete. If you were a parent of a girl on an opposing team you'd be pissed if they let a boy play against you.

The rule just needs to be no co-ed is either full on allowed or not allowed.

Agreed.

If I had to play against a guy, generally I would be kinda terrified. Even if I was incredibly fit, the likelyhood I would be stronger than an equally fit man is tiny. Used to happen all the time when I did Tae kwon do actually. The guys would end up looking bored because of how "easy" they had to go.

charsace

If you google the kid you can see images of him playing and he is tiny relative even to the girls. He must be damn good at field hockey is all.
He's smaller because he's thirteen year old playing varsity. Even at thirteen he still has advantages over them.

But stopping him from playing is wrong. People love it when girls play a guy's sport. So why not the same when things are reversed?

CrankyJay

Banned
My brother tried to pull this in highschool...was resentful that girls could play on the boys lacrosse team so he tried to sign up for the girls field hockey team and was told no. lol

BeesEight

what do you think would happen if a girl star player sat on top of an all boys team?

The boys get made fun of by the rest of the school. Happened with my high school football team. But it probably didn't take much to be the top player there. Though, it wasn't malicious. She was damn good.

You know, if there were a player playing a sport and he tested for steroids, he would be banned from the sport. A post-pubescent boy playing with girls is essentially a player on steroids. I don't think it's really fair to the women. Just because the guy might be small, doesn't mean he can't be stronger or faster because of his inherent biological advantages.

What? You can't really limit players based on biological advantages. Tall people have a genetic advantage when it comes to basketball but we don't have a height limit on players.

Yes, but apparently you're only allowed to play if you're not 'too good' - which I assume only applies to boys playing girls sports and not vice versa.

And what are the chances of that happening in a high school/ adult team, really? Men are biologically larger and stronger than women. A fit woman is rarely going to be as strong or powerful as an equally fit man the same age. The possibility is so small its not even worth crying "double standards!"

Dyno

Happened to me in baseball when I was a kid. Three kids (Eddie, Robert, and myself) grew up in the same neighbourhood and played baseball all the time. When we joined a houseleague team we dominated. Rob pitched, Eddie was shortstop, and I was first base. It was total domination and after the first year we were told that we would have to join an A ball league.

CrankyJay

Banned
BTW, the kid is 4 foot 8 and 82 pounds, and they're saying he has (as a boy) a significant advantage over other varsity girls.

Give me a break.

I'd suggest if there's enough interest to just go co-ed, with a team required to field one or two guys at a time.

All of the co-ed ultimate leagues I've been in work this way, with a minimum of three women (of seven people) on the field for a team.

He might have a physical advantage at 13. At that age I was keeping up with the girls hitting their growth spurts.

Edit: Oh.

BTW, the kid is 4 foot 8 and 82 pounds

ToxicAdam

What? You can't really limit players based on biological advantages. Tall people have a genetic advantage when it comes to basketball but we don't have a height limit on players.

My point was that increased testosterone undeniably provides an advantage in every sport. That's why it is universally banned. You can't have one player that is receiving a steady, natural infusion of this super drug and consider it 'fair'. In the end, that's all that matters in sports is insuring a level playing field.

For your basketball analogy, height isn't everything. Just because someone is tall, doesn't mean he can't be pushed around (by someone thicker) or outquicked (by someone faster). If height was all that was needed to dominate basketball, Manute Bol would have been a Hall of Famer. But, if Manute Bol was allowed to take increased amounts of testosterone for his career, he might have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom