• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy field hockey star kicked off high school girl's team for being 'too good'

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeesEight

There's a sizable segment of GAF that believes that women top out at the physical ability of a 12-13 year old boy, and it's not just that guy.

EVEN if we accepted this premise - the average 13 year old in America is overweight. Not to mention still going through puberty. But disregarding that, an athlete that has been training for eighteen years would have a significant advantage over the average shmuck from technique and knowledge alone.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
EVEN if we accepted this premise - the average 13 year old in America is overweight. Not to mention still going through puberty. But disregarding that, an athlete that has been training for eighteen years would have a significant advantage over the average shmuck from technique and knowledge alone.

I agree it's ridiculous to claim that an average 13 year old male is naturally superior to an 18 year female athlete. But I also think it's foolish to argue that male athletes are not generally superior to female athletes. I'm not putting words in your mouth, just clarifying my position.

.GqueB.

Banned
tumblr_lksdcjDmBg1qz96eoo1_400.jpg

What a great movie...

Seth C

I remember when I was in high school, OJ Mayo was in 6th grade and was playing against our high school seniors. He was bigger and more dominant than anyone on the court... Some states allow dominant younger players to compete with high schoolers.

It's OJ Mayo. He was probably 16 in 6th grade anyway.

BeesEight

I agree it's ridiculous to claim that an average 13 year old male is naturally superior to an 18 year female athlete. But I also think it's foolish to argue that male athletes are not generally superior to female athletes. I'm not putting words in your mouth, just clarifying my position.

Agreed if we're talking about averages between male and female athletes. But a male is not more athletic naturally than an athletic female due to the sole nature of possessing a penis.

charsace

There's a sizable segment of GAF that believes that women top out at the physical ability of a 12-13 year old boy, and it's not just that guy.
You really trying to make it out like I'm sexist? Really guy? The 13 year old kid is dominating 16-18 year old girls and you don't think athletic ability plays a role in him dominating? Of course it does. The girls are stronger than him and probably faster too. But in regards to other traits like changing directions, lateral movement, coordination, balance, etc. the boy is most likely superior. I would love to see some video of this kid.

I would think that a 13 year old boy that plays the same sport as a 16-18 year old girl would be a handful for that girl if they competed against eachother.

Jenov

Agreed if we're talking about averages between male and female athletes. But a male is not more athletic naturally than an athletic female due to the sole nature of possessing a penis.

Uh, yes, they are. Men are naturally stronger and faster and thus more athletic than women (and yes it's because they have a penis..). What the heck is going on in this thread?

FyreWulff

Men have a higher potential strength limit, but they are not naturally more skilled at athleticism than women. Becoming an athlete actually takes training and skill. Which both genders have an equal chance of achieving.

Just because you're 6'3" and 280 pounds doesn't make you an athlete. Hell, not even all men can compete with other men, especially since in the NBA you're more favored for height than agility. Otherwise Shaq would have never had a job.

Slayven

You really trying to make it out like I'm sexist? Really guy? The 13 year old kid is dominating 16-18 year old girls and you don't think athletic ability plays a role in him dominating? Of course it does. The girls are stronger than him and probably faster too. But in regards to other traits like changing directions, lateral movement, coordination, balance, etc. the boy is most likely superior. I would love to see some video of this kid.

And still probably have enough energy after each game to drench a tube sock.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Uh, yes, they are. Men are naturally stronger and faster and thus more athletic than women (and yes it's because they have a penis..). What the heck is going on in this thread?

He's saying that a non athletic male is not inherently better at sports than an athletic female. He agrees that a male athlete will tend to be better than a female athlete.

BeesEight

Reading comprehension, how does it work?

I want to see one of these average 13 year boys who are struggling with weight issues beat an athletic girl because he's carrying extra meat between his legs.

Jenov

He's saying that a non athletic male is not inherently better at sports than an athletic female. He agrees that a male athlete will tend to be better than a female athlete.

I still disagree. Even a non athletic male will on average win because they are much stronger and bigger than your average athletic female. Put your high schools top female athlete against a non athletic male in a arm wrestling competition and see who wins.

Jenov

I want to see one of these average 13 year boys who are struggling with weight issues beat an athletic girl because he's carrying extra meat between his legs.

It's already being done in the OP.

Edit: weight issues can be struggling with gaining as well, but I see you probably meant overweight.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I still disagree. Even a non athletic male will on average win because they are much stronger and bigger than your average athletic female. Put your high schools top female athlete against a non athletic male in a arm wrestling competition and see who wins.

Brute strength isn't quite equivalent to athletic ability. I'd agree that there are some men who are naturally more talented than women who train, but there will always be those who are gifted. The average fat 13 year old he's discussing will not generally be more successful.

charsace

Men have a higher potential strength limit, but they are not naturally more skilled at athleticism than women. Becoming an athlete actually takes training and skill. Which both genders have an equal chance of achieving.

Just because you're 6'3" and 280 pounds doesn't make you an athlete. Hell, not even all men can compete with other men, especially since in the NBA you're more favored for height than agility. Otherwise Shaq would have never had a job.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Shaq had great agility when he was younger. Agility is really important in the NBA. The NBA has the greatest athletes in the world by far.

Jenov

Brute strength isn't quite equivalent to athletic ability. I'd agree that there are some men who are naturally more talented than women who train, but there will always be those who are gifted. The average fat 13 year old he's discussing will not generally be more successful.

Oh, now we're pitting fatty teenage boys against athletic girls? Um, okay. The overweight teenage boy will dominate in strength still.

FyreWulff

The NBA has the greatest athletes in the world by far.

That's a subjective opinion. Every fan of a sport is going to say their players in it are the greatest athletes.

Some people are apparently afraid of the idea of a female outclassing a male in anything, at any age disparity.

BeesEight

Why is a fat 13 year old even being discussed?

Because of this:

You'd be surprised how much more effective muscle mass is in boys than it is in girls. Even the average 13 year old would have a significant advantage over an 18 year athlete.

Which is either a case of someone not being clear with what they're saying or having a tenuous grip on reality. I'll let you decide which one Prost is.

Jenov

It's hard seeing how that stance isn't belittling to female athletes (on top of not being true).

Who is belittling female athletes here??? Biology favors males in strength and speed, that's a fact. I'm sorry, but you're not going to win your argument by pulling fat teenage boys out as an example.

charsace

That's a subjective opinion. Every fan of a sport is going to say their players in it are the greatest athletes.

Some people are apparently afraid of the idea of a female outclassing a male in anything, at any age disparity.

The NBA has 6'4 guys that have the wingspan of 6'9+ guys, quick hands, with great quickness and explosiveness. There are guys in the NBA that never play that would be great at football, track and field, combat sports or soccer.

And if the kid isn't a better athlete than these girls then why is he dominating field hockey? The kid isn't even 5'ft tall and he is under a hundred lbs. If he doesn't have other physical abilities that are an advantage then why else is he dominating?

FyreWulff

Who is belittling female athletes here??? Biology favors males in strength and speed, that's a fact. I'm sorry, but you're not going to win your argument by pulling fat teenage boys out as an example.

You're the one that brought out the 'average 13 year old'. In America, that's going to be a heavy 13 year old.

Kinyou

I don't really want to add fuel to the flames but...

Performances reflect these differences. "Olympian Political Correctness," a National Review article, reported that women's world records in the 100-, 200-, 400-, 800-, 1,500- and 3,000 m runs are slower than the best times by 15-year-old U.S. boys.
Source

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The NBA has 6'4 guys that have the wingspan of 6'9+ guys, quick hands, with great quickness and explosiveness. There are guys in the NBA that never play that would be great at football, track and field, combat sports or soccer.

And if the kid isn't a better athlete than these girls then why is he dominating field hockey? The kid isn't even 5'ft tall and he is under a hundred lbs. If he doesn't have other physical abilities that are an advantage then why else is he dominating?

Yep, just look at how good Jordan did at baseball for proof! Basketball players are the greatest!

charsace

You're the one that brought out the 'average 13 year old'. In America, that's going to be a heavy 13 year old.

The average 13 year old that plays sports is what he probably meant.

And I would like you to explain how a kid that's the size of a small 10 year old boy is dominating that league if he doesn't have some sort of athletic advantage. Because the average 13 year old boy is probably around 5'4-5'7ft tall.

Yep, just look at how good Jordan did at baseball for proof! Basketball players are the greatest!
Look at how good Antonio Gates has done in Football. Baseball is has more of a skill focus. That's why you have guys that play as long as they do and fatasses. In a sport where physical ability matters more those guys could play in them.

defel

Field hockey is actually a sport at which smaller, shorter players are often at an advantage. Low center of gravity, less strain on the back, quicker turning circles. Ive seen 13 year old kids make fools of 15-16 year old field hockey players and they were all male.

Too many people in here are focusing on physical bulk and size rather simply on athletic ability - hand eye coordination etc.

Kosmo

Banned

This is true, but it's similar to comedians. Like Artie Lang said about Lisa Lanpagnelli "Lisa the funniest female comedian I know, which makes he about the 479th funniest comedian overall."

Note how they didn't actually show the times:

A WHOLE SECOND

With all the advantages of modern training, shoes and track conditions, the fastest women ever recorded in the 100m dash would have competed well with men in the 1920's (which was mostly run on dirt tracks, little training, etc.)

Seanspeed

Banned
Sounds fair to me. Having him on the team in the first place was a mistake. I get that he doesn't have a size/strength advantage or anything, but I dont agree with putting boys into a girl's team on a case-by-case basis. Thats not fair.

charsace

Sounds fair to me. Having him on the team in the first place was a mistake. I get that he doesn't have a size/strength advantage or anything, but I dont agree with putting boys into a girl's team on a case-by-case basis. Thats not fair.

He probably can't find a boys field hockey team so he has to play on the girls team. Same thing as a girl wanting to play football or wrestling.

Seanspeed

Banned
He probably can't find a boys field hockey team so he has to play on the girls team. Same thing as a girl wanting to play football or wrestling.
But its 'girl's' field hockey, not just field hockey. Its different with guy sports because we are already the dominant sex for these sports. With girls sports, letting guys in 'only if they aren't dominant' or whatever is very sketchy and a slippery slope. How do you define 'dominant'? Do you just let in whoever and then start kicking them out the second they start performing well? It was never a good idea in the first place. The only fair option is to say he cant play from the get-go.

charsace

But its 'girl's' field hockey, not just field hockey. Its different with guy sports because we are already the dominant sex for these sports. With girls sports, letting guys in 'only if they aren't dominant' or whatever is very sketchy and a slippery slope. How do you define 'dominant'? Do you just let in whoever and then start kicking them out the second they start performing well? It was never a good idea in the first place. The only fair option is to say he cant play from the get-go.
So what if its called girls field hockey. Its common knowledge that field hockey is not a popular sport with guys. The kid wants to play field hockey though and this is the only way he can play it. Should girls that want to play baseball beforced to play softball?

Mudkips

Banned
I don't understand why it's seen as sexist to admit the obvious truth that men are generally more athletic than women. At the highest level of competition men are almost always superior in their respective sports.

You don't understand why a blanket statement saying that one sex is inferior to another sex in something is sexist? Please keep in mind that this isn't about pro-level athletes where everyone is in some narrow skill-range. This is about kids. There is a huge amount of variation in skill at this level. In high school sports, you will often have people on the girls team who are better than people on the boys team and vice versa.

Furthermore, punishing someone for their skill and blaming it on his sex is absurd. He's 13 years old, 4'8", 82 pounds. If it's true that he's dominating, then the girls on the high school varsity team just suck. Even if they DO suck that badly, it's no different than when any team has a star player that makes the opponents, and the rest of the team, feel like shit.

It's a clear Title IX violation to kick him off of the team because of his sex.
If they don't want to get sued into oblivion, they'll have to let him play or start a men's team. Starting a men's team means cutting the funding for the women's team in half, cutting their access to the field for games and practice in half, and trying to drum up enough boys to join the team. And then they won't have anyone to play against.

charsace

You don't understand why a blanket statement saying that one sex is inferior to another sex in something is sexist? Please keep in mind that this isn't about pro-level athletes where everyone is in some narrow skill-range. This is about kids. There is a huge amount of variation in skill at this level. In high school sports, you will often have people on the girls team who are better than people on the boys team and vice versa.

Furthermore, punishing someone for their skill and blaming it on his sex is absurd. He's 13 years old, 4'8", 82 pounds. If it's true that he's dominating, then the girls on the high school varsity team just suck. Even if they DO suck that badly, it's no different than when any team has a star player that makes the opponents, and the rest of the team, feel like shit.

It's a clear Title IX violation to kick him off of the team because of his sex.
If they don't want to get sued into oblivion, they'll have to let him play or start a men's team. Starting a men's team means cutting the funding for the women's team in half, cutting their access to the field for games and practice in half, and trying to drum up enough boys to join the team. And then they won't have anyone to play against.

doubt its his skill level that allowing him to dominate. He most likely has physical advantages that causing him to dominate. There are a lot of guys that have a high skill level in certain sports that just don't have to physical ability to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom