• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy field hockey star kicked off high school girl's team for being 'too good'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Yo

Banned
What? You can't really limit players based on biological advantages. Tall people have a genetic advantage when it comes to basketball but we don't have a height limit on players.
Tell that to a guy under 6'4 trying to make it in the NBA. The moment it was decided that the goal would be 10 feet high, the game was most assuredly going to be exploited by teams recruiting freakishly tall players that were closer to the basket. No matter how hard a player works, he will never dominate the sport of basketball under a certain height barrier.

Aside from that, of course men have an advantage over women physically for sports. Yes, even at this kid's size. A man of equal size or smaller will still have the significant physical advantage. It's kind of dumb to even contest this. PC banter taken to the extreme.

Seanspeed

Banned
So what if its called girls field hockey. Its common knowledge that field hockey is not a popular sport with guys. The kid wants to play field hockey though and this is the only way he can play it. Should girls that want to play baseball beforced to play softball?
Because like I said, its a slippery slope letting him play and its unfair to just pull the rug from underneath him if he does well. It was asking for trouble letting boys in in the first place. It sucks for the kid, but its the most fair way of doing it.

The situation is different with boy's sports because we are already the dominant sex. There's no worry that a girl is going to come in and have an unfair advantage. It would be a concern in full-contact sports that guys might instinctually take it easy on a girl, though. But again, thats just another reason the situation is different.

charsace

Because like I said, its a slippery slope letting him play and its unfair to just pull the rug from underneath him if he does well. It was asking for trouble letting boys in in the first place. It sucks for the kid, but its the most fair way of doing it.

The situation is different with boy's sports because we are already the dominant sex. There's no worry that a girl is going to come in and have an unfair advantage. It would be a concern in full-contact sports that guys might instinctually take it easy on a girl, though. But again, thats just another reason the situation is different.

What happens if the kid's parents take this to court? No way would the court bar him from playing.

Mudkips

Banned
doubt its his skill level that allowing him to dominate. He most likely has physical advantages that causing him to dominate. There are a lot of guys that have a high skill level in certain sports that just don't have to physical ability to compete.

He is 13 years old.
Four feet, eight inches tall.
Eighty-two pounds.

charsace

He is 13 years old.
Four feet, eight inches tall.
Eighty-two pounds.

No amount of skill would make it possible for a boy that size to play HS varsity Football, Basketball, Lacrosse, Soccer or Hockey. He most likely has some sort of physical advantages that allow him to dominate the league. Being small doesn't mean he can't have physical advantages.

I was bench pressing 135lbs when I was 13 weighing at 90lbs, and squatting over 200lbs. The strongest senior girl athlete in my high school maxed benched 150lbs. She was also a big testosterone butch of a woman for a woman if you know what I mean. The number 4 batter for the softball team.

The real issue here is the idea of "girl's" sports and "guy's" sports that one gender or the other who is interested in "x" sport has to basically play outside of their own gender in order to even compete.

squidyj

I guess they're worried that a boy dominating a sport on a girls team will lead to.... more boys playing the sport? wouldn't they just be able to, I don't know, start a boys team at that point?

Seems the only reason he's playing on a girl's team is there's no boys team for him to play on anyways.

I think the worst offenders in all of this are the coaches of the other field hockey teams. How can they let this weakling runt become a superstar at anything? Give him a little chop to the ankle with the club when the refs aren't looking. If the game is going to have the word "hockey" in it, the players should at least be taught how to play it correctly, damn it.

daw840

The real issue here is the idea of "girl's" sports and "guy's" sports that one gender or the other who is interested in "x" sport has to basically play outside of their own gender in order to even compete.

Well, yeah. There probably aren't enough girls interested in football to warrant a league. Same goes for field hockey for boys apparently (I had never even heard of field hockey before this thread.)

Well, yeah. There probably aren't enough girls interested in football to warrant a league. Same goes for field hockey for boys apparently (I had never even heard of field hockey before this thread.)

Played field hockey a couple times in gym. A lot of girls loved powderpuff and I'm sure would have played football had it not already been declared something "just for boys."

Zoe

I guess they're worried that a boy dominating a sport on a girls team will lead to.... more boys playing the sport? wouldn't they just be able to, I don't know, start a boys team at that point?

Seems the only reason he's playing on a girl's team is there's no boys team for him to play on anyways.

Don't forget that he's not even in high school but he's playing on the high school team...

daw840

Played field hockey a couple times in gym. A lot of girls loved powderpuff and I'm sure would have played football had it not already been declared something "just for boys."

IDK, seems like if there was enough interest people would make leagues.

Draxal

Girls were lucky to get proper funding for their own established sports when I was in high-school let alone stuff meant for boys.

It's a huge problem in college sports, as pretty much only two college sports make money (football,men's bball).

Pretty much everything is being cut just to fund those two sports.

Seanspeed

Banned

Yes, if it got to the point where teams started being dominated by predominantly male teams, then they could create a seperate league. But thats probably not realistic anytime in the near future, so what they're worried about is more boys coming in and certain teams having an unfair advantage with a couple of guys on their squad. High school sports are taken pretty seriously and I understand their desire to keep the playing field fair. Which is why they should have never let a boy on a team in the first place.

Obviously, it sucks for the kid not being able to play, but it also sucks that he would always be under threat of being kicked off if he performed well. Frankly, I would have just told him 'tough luck' and never let him on the team. I mean, if I moved over to England when I was in high school, would I have had an American football team to play on in school? No. It would suck, but them's the breaks.

squidyj

Yes, if it got to the point where teams started being dominated by predominantly male teams, then they could create a seperate league. But thats probably not realistic anytime in the near future, so what they're worried about is more boys coming in and certain teams having an unfair advantage with a couple of guys on their squad. High school sports are taken pretty seriously and I understand their desire to keep the playing field fair. Which is why they should have never let a boy on a team in the first place.

Obviously, it sucks for the kid not being able to play, but it also sucks that he would always be under threat of being kicked off if he performed well. Frankly, I would have just told him 'tough luck' and never let him on the team. I mean, if I moved over to England when I was in high school, would I have had an American football team to play on in school? No. It would suck, but them's the breaks.

I think the better solution is to take high school sports less seriously.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
lol @ ONE WHOLE SECOND guy.
It's a huge problem in college sports, as pretty much only two college sports make money (football,men's bball).

Pretty much everything is being cut just to fund those two sports.

Uh... those two sports typically not only fund the other sports, but bring in cash to fix other stuff too.

That sounds incredibly sexist.

He is playing against a team of Varsity High School girls who just plain suck if they are being beaten by a thirteen year old.
It's not sexist at all. Men have significant athletic advantages over women.

A D3 (or worse) college mens team would destroy a WNBA squad, for instance. I know that's a bit extreme compared to this case but I hope you get my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom