• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

soldat7

Kilrogg said:
I want to like it, but I can't :(. The artstyle, I mean. You'd think it's because I'm a bitter Wii-only owner, but it's not even that, because the game is coming out on PC too!

The developers tried, but it's again one of those games that, trying to be crisp and neat and detailed and stuff, ultimately looks too clean and flash-like. There are good-looking flash games, mind you, but when I say that, I mean cold, lifeless, and as if the characters and the backgrounds are in separate dimensions. I think it's too detailed for its own good.

Oh, and the characters are hideous.

[EDIT] Actually, it reminds me of that HL² platformer mod in which you're a schizophrenic who can switch between a happy world (kinda Braid-looking) and a horror world. Thing is: the game was a mod, and it showed. And your character's controls were floaty. I get the same feel about Braid, sadly.

That's the point (referring to bold above). Read this and this.

True art cannot possibly be appreciated by everyone. :D

dock

I respect some of the ethos behind braid, but ultimately I find the whole thing to be pretty grotesque to look at. I hope that other artists follow their lead however and try to do fully painted levels.

Unfortunately, also, I feel some people here are buying into some sort of weird hyperbole as well, choosing to belittle the opinions of others with their 'emporer's new clothes' line of thinking. "True art" indeed. What horse shit.

soldat7

dock UK said:
I respect some of the ethos behind braid, but ultimately I find the whole thing to be pretty grotesque to look at. I hope that other artists follow their lead however and try to do fully painted levels.

Unfortunately, also, I feel some people here are buying into some sort of weird hyperbole as well, choosing to belittle the opinions of others with their 'emporer's new clothes' line of thinking. "True art" indeed. What horse shit.

Don't get your knickers in a wad. Like it or not this game is shaping up to be far more artistic and thoughtful than your average game. And that's something we should all embrace.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
soldat7 said:
That's the point (referring to bold above). Read this and this.

True art cannot possibly be appreciated by everyone. :D

I'm not feeling like reading an entire interview right now. Which passage should I read? Do you mean the character is supposed to look like he's added on top of the background?

As for your comment regarding true art: whatever. I'm all for aesthetics, but for me, "true art", as far as games are concerned, lies in the game itself, not its visuals.

dock

soldat7 said:
Don't get your knickers in a wad. Like it or not this game is shaping up to be far more artistic and thoughtful than your average game. And that's something we should all embrace.
Sure, but that isn't saying much when the rest of the platform library still thinks than "eat shit and die" is compelling enough content. Implying that this is "true art" that not everyone can see is drinking the kool-aid a bit, in my opinion.

soldat7

Kilrogg said:
I'm not feeling like reading an entire interview right now. Which passage should I read? Do you mean the character is supposed to look like he's added on top of the background?

As for your comment regarding true art: whatever. I'm all for aesthetics, but for me, "true art", as far as games are concerned, lies in the game itself, not its visuals.

Is your character really there? Where is 'there'? I think these are a few of the big questions behind the game. Considering that multiple copies of you can exist at various points of time within the game, I think that these are very good questions.

The 'true art' comment was meant to be nothing more than brash snobbery, thus the :D .

Oh, and 'existential gravitas'. ;)

Mifune

Mehmber
This looks so great.

I think I'm most excited about PSN and Live Arcade downloadable games this year, now that they've discovered not everything needs to be a twin stick shooter.

Braid, PixelJunk Eden, flower, The Last Guy, Castle Crashers, etc.

Downloadables are where the real groundbreaking shit is happening.

Kilrogg said:

Personally, I don't think the "art" aspect has anything to do with the visuals, which were farmed out to a (fantastic) visual artist. It's about the intent. About crafting a game experience with a little ambition behind you.

BKXB said:
+1 Thanks for recommending the walkthrough on GT.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/121382.html

I didn't get the gist of how complex some of the time-travel dynamics could be from some of the youtube videos.

Yeah I was watching some of the youtube videos earlier in the evening but without the developer walkthrough I was thinking;

-"This youtube video is messed up, looks like someone is rewinding a vhs"

and then

-"Actually, I have no idea what is going on"

It all made sense when someone explained what he was doing on-screen! :lol

jarosh

Kilrogg said:
I want to like it, but I can't :(. The artstyle, I mean. You'd think it's because I'm a bitter Wii-only owner, but it's not even that, because the game is coming out on PC too!

The developers tried, but it's again one of those games that, trying to be crisp and neat and detailed and stuff, ultimately looks too clean and flash-like. There are good-looking flash games, mind you, but when I say that, I mean cold, lifeless, and as if the characters and the backgrounds are in separate dimensions. I think it's too detailed for its own good.

Oh, and the characters are hideous.

[EDIT] Actually, it reminds me of that HL² platformer mod in which you're a schizophrenic who can switch between a happy world (kinda Braid-looking) and a horror world. Thing is: the game was a mod, and it showed. And your character's controls were floaty. I get the same feel about Braid, sadly.
what the hell are you even talking about?

clean and flash-like? cold, lifeless? feels like a mod? are you high?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
jarosh said:
what the hell are you even talking about?

clean and flash-like? cold, lifeless? feels like a mod? are you high?

Yes I am.

It's just that something in the artstyle feels off. I'm usually a sucker for colourful, imaginative worlds (see Yoshi's Island for instance), but, I don't know, what I see when I look at Braid (well, the screenshots, granted) doesn't look beautiful to me, let alone the fact that I hate the character design.

Admittedly, I went a bit too far on the flash-like thing, but that's because I have a hard time expressing my exact feelings about the visuals of this game. But it's true it reminded me of said HL² mod, even though Braid is a lot more detailed and polished.

Now, the gameplay itself? I don't know, haven't played it.

Let's just say I'm picky, all right?

@soldat7: I see, thank you. No offense taken, then :D.

Yagharek

I dont personally like the art style here (though I see how some people would) but to me it has a style that reminds me of a particular Amiga title. I cant remember for the life of me what that title is. Very distinct look...

dejay

Banned
RandomVince said:
I dont personally like the art style here (though I see how some people would) but to me it has a style that reminds me of a particular Amiga title. I cant remember for the life of me what that title is. Very distinct look...

I was thinking the same thing but I can't remember the game either.

Yagharek

dejay said:

Something tells me it mightve been from the boxart or a title screen. I thought it might've been Rodland but I dont think so. It's encouraging for my sanity that someone else knows what Im talking about :lol

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
dejay said:

Maybe... Nicky Boom?

It's a game with a chubby little boy who throws apple cores his the enemies.

dejay

Banned
RandomVince said:
Something tells me it mightve been from the boxart or a title screen. I thought it might've been Rodland but I dont think so. It's encouraging for my sanity that someone else knows what Im talking about :lol

It's annoying me now. I remember the character reminded me of a dwarf from the movie "Willow". There was a game called Willow but it's not the one.

dejay

Banned
Yeah, Elf's the one I'm thinking of! Unfortunately, now that I look at it, the resemblance isn't that great :(

Psychotext said:
You've all probably seen it already, but this just got a 9 from Edge.

Thanks to TheGreatDave:

Braid:

Plays upon conventions of Mario, but closer to Portal
Designed just as well as Portal (!!!)
Each level has a new mechanic: act 3's is brilliant - steps to the right advances time, steps to the left reverses it.
Fails somewhat with it's storytelling - "trite in it's self-conscious obscurity"
Story's themes aren't reflected well in-game until the final level.
One of the finest original titles on Xbox Live Arcade.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I love puzzle-platformers such as this, definitely looking forward to it, and whether or not I like the demo, I'll buy.

backflip10019 said:
Yikes, Kotaku is reporting that the price in Japan is 1200 MS points. And prices for XBLA titles in Japan usually follow suit in the States.

:(

Uh oh:

Some will meet these prices with outrage, while I say why not? I've played both of these titles (Braid extensively) and they are completely worth the extra real currency substitute. I've paid $60 for disc-based titles that had a quarter of the entertainment value of these two games. More power to them.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
After watching a two trailers, I'm a bit more convinced.

I'm still not sold on the artstyle. However, the time/copy mechanic looks like it's been cleverly put to use by the developers. The way the character seems to control is okay I guess, although his bouncing off the walls when he jumps against them worries me just a little bit. I dont' like it when walls feel like they're bumpy :p.

Tenks

Never heard of this game until today but that art style is amazing. If I owned a 360 this would be a must-buy. Hopefully it gets a PSN port.

jarosh

Proelite said:
$15 bucks is a bit too much. I can't justify purchasing it when R&C quest for booty is the same price.
how can you make a claim like that? how is $15 for braid a worse deal than $15 for quest for booty? what makes quest for booty the better experience? did you play it? how do you know how long it is? how do you know quest for booty has more gameplay depth and is longer than braid? and in how many more threads are you gonna post the same thing?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
jarosh said:
how can you make a claim like that? how is $15 for braid a worse deal than $15 for quest for booty? what makes quest for booty the better experience? did you play it? how do you know how long it is? how do you know quest for booty has more gameplay depth and is longer than braid? and in how many more threads are you gonna post the same thing?

Quest for booty may have great graphics but it's less than 3-4 hours....still overpriced.

Exclusively on the PSN:

A stand-alone adventure taking place after the events of Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction®
3-4 hours of solid Ratchet and Clank gameplay

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/Ratchet_and_Clank_Future_Quest_for_Booty

Brakara

jarosh said:
how can you make a claim like that? how is $15 for braid a worse deal than $15 for quest for booty?

Not to mention that one of these games has been made from scratch, while the other is re-using an existing game engine (and some assets?).

soldat7

On old but nice preview of Braid:

http://www.destructoid.com/pew-pew-preview-braid-75816.phtml

When I say things like "the preview build of Braid comprises one of the most interesting, satisfying, beautiful game experiences I've ever had," people assume I'm being stupid, pretentious, or hyperbolic.

So I won't say that.

Instead, I'll just say that what I've seen of Braid is really, really, really good, and something anyone can enjoy. You do not -- I repeat, you do not have to be an "indiefag" to enjoy Braid.

Superfrog

RandomVince said:
dejay said:

Let's see...

* Flink?
* Traps 'n' Treasures?
* Magic Pockets?
* Ruff 'n' Tumble?
* Rick Dangerous 1 or 2?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, so, the price point of 1200 points has been officially denied by Microsoft, at least for the moment. The real price point will be revealed Monday.

Eric WK

A note from Jonathan regarding the game's length:

I would say that it’s 5-8 hours of gameplay to play through most of the puzzles, depending on how quickly you solve the puzzles. From there, if there are a few hard puzzles you get stuck on, it could be an extra 1-5 hours…

I'm guessing the length of this game really depends on how well you know the puzzles, almost like how fast you can be a Metroid game if you know it really well. Seems like the kind of game you'll see speedruns for with really fast times. That's not to say it doesn't look any less brilliant.

Top Bottom