• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

PetriP-TNT said:
I'm here to join the "cautious haters"-group. The graphics do nothing to me, I almost kinda hate them. The gameplay looked bland in the 1up Show back in the days. It does seem to have some redeeming qualites too, so I'll wait and see.

Wait, "bland" means "completely revolutionary and literally never done before in the history of gaming," right? I mean, as far as World 2 goes, in terms of semantic accuracy.

;D

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, that had me concerned. And the text stuff might look a bit heavy handed at times (at least from what brief glimpses you get in that video), but watching that video I was completely compelled to see that whole puzzle, mostly because I knew where it was going. Even the text throughout the game isn't 100% fantastic, the narrative, and what it's doing (which is just as much the story as any written prompts) looks like it's going to deliver in ways I can't think of any other game even attempting.

I didn't get the text really until I played through the last level. And then I cried.

You can call me a pussy once the game is out and you get to see it for yourself but it all came together for me. Whatever you do, don't spoil the last level for yourself.

Railer

I'm so going to pick this one up. This game looks totally rad.
For people in Europe, does anyone know the time new XBLA titles usually comes up on the EU marketplace? Cause I wanna stay up/wake up early to get it as soon as its out.

Eric WK

Not A Fur said:
I didn't get the text really until I played through the last level. And then I cried.

You can call me a pussy once the game is out and you get to see it for yourself but it all came together for me. Whatever you do, don't spoil the last level for yourself.

Wow. I can't wait for Wednesday morning to get here.

Not A Fur said:

Like I said, I can definitely see the heartbreak coming, and I have assumed for a while that I'll probably have the same reaction.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Like I said, I can definitely see the heartbreak coming, and I have assumed for a while that I'll probably have the same reaction.

I'm really fuckin' psyched for this to come out so we can start discussing experiences and interpretations. I thought Braid has a particularly unique narrative, and there's a couple other things I want to compare it to, but I love it so I'm shutting up.

Also it's been about a month and a half since I played it, I'm kinda hoping I've forgotten some of the puzzles by then so I can figure 'em out again =)

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait, "bland" means "completely revolutionary and literally never done before in the history of gaming," right? I mean, as far as World 2 goes, in terms of semantic accuracy.

;D
Bland as in "jumping on goombas while using the time mechanics stolen from the new Prince Of Persia-entries".

At least it looked like that on 1up Show. Haven't been following the game ever since that episode, but do explain me the revolutionary part. Seriously =)

My post from the 1upshow thread, quoted:
PetriP-TNT said:
Braid didn't look that hot to me. Didn't really dig the whole artstyle and the gameplay looked kinda like Donkey Kong meets Super Mario Bros. meets the uuum... whats that one game with the ladders and locks on gameboy.

edit: Watched the dev commentary video, has some pretty cool features with the time manipulation-thing and all. I understand why the game should be so great, but like said, it doesn't appeal to me that much. I don't like the watercolory art style, backgrounds are ok but the characters (especially the enemies) are rather dumb. Can't say much about the music, but the soundtrack and effects seem to be pretty cool.

Not A Fur said:
I'm really fuckin' psyched for this to come out so we can start discussing experiences and interpretations. I thought Braid has a particularly unique narrative, and there's a couple other things I want to compare it to, but I love it so I'm shutting up.

Even if it's just you me and Eric, I'm looking forward to it.

PetriP-TNT said:
Bland as in "jumping on goombas while using the time mechanics stolen from the new Prince Of Persia-entries".

At least it looked like that on 1up Show. Haven't been following the game ever since that episode, but do explain me the revolutionary part. Seriously =)

Check out the video linked on the last page. It's spoilery, but if you watch to the end, you'll see what I mean.

Gowans

Just caught up with this thread, really looking forward to wednesday morning, might have to clear a few to budge work.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
That looks awfully pretty. Not really interested in the gameplay but I'll definitely get it just for the art. Hopefully it's more CoD4 than Speed Racer :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I was blown away when I found out that this was actually a gameplay shot.

braidtitlescreen.jpg

Screens like this really make me wish the XBox 360 had a print screen function.

dejay

Banned
I'm not going to watch that second level video but from the reactions here I'm pretty excited. My 360 locked up and subsequently RRoDed whilst downloading Geo Wars 2 and I had to go out and buy a new falcon arcade just so I wouldn't miss out on that and Braid for too long.

Llyranor

BKXB said:
+1 Thanks for recommending the walkthrough on GT.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/121382.html

I didn't get the gist of how complex some of the time-travel dynamics could be from some of the youtube videos.
Is that the actual in-game music? Nice.

The backgrounds are very nice. The main character is kind of bleh.

The mechanics are interested. I'm not completely sold, but I'll try the demo. The level design will dictate how well the game mechanics will actually work, so I might want to wait for more impressions because I jump in.

SapientWolf said:
So on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most brilliant puzzle in Braid, where would the one in the video fit?

If nobody else is going to answer this, then it's like a 2. The mechanics of world 2 are really simple, and whoever's playing the video has obviously played the level before, so you don't actually have to watch them do any travel. I did like the bit in the video with
shifting the puzzle around to make a platform
, that was a fun realization when it hit me. :3

Non-plot spoilers: the one bit of rewinding they did in the video was
realizing in Hunt! that they killed one of the dudes that they still need as a jump base, so they rewound him back to life
, I found myself doing a lot of that kind of stuff when playing world 2, but it obviously isn't strictly required for you to accomplish the gameplay. It ramps way up when you get to world three, where there are
objects that don't rewind along with you, which makes have to 'unfold' multiple timelines in your head
. From then on you -have- to use time travel to solve the puzzles, which is what completely differentiates it from PoP, for whoever was asking earlier.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, it is official, Braid is 1200 Points

Manipulate time in Braid, coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday!

Named Best Xbox LIVE Arcade Game and Best Overall Puzzle Game by IGN at E3 2008, “Braid,” is coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PDT).

From acclaimed independent developer Jonathan Blow, “Braid” is an artful puzzle-platformer where challenging, yet accessible puzzles are solved by manipulating time. From your house in the city, journey to a series of worlds solving puzzles that will help you rescue an abducted princess. Time behaves differently in each world, and every puzzle shows you something different about the world. The time behaviors include rewinding, independent time streams, time that is tied to space, parallel realities, time dilation, and perhaps more.

Developed by Number None, Inc., and published by Microsoft, “Braid” will be available for 1200 Microsoft Points worldwide and is rated E 10+ for Everyone over the age of 10 by the ESRB.

For more details on “Braid” please visit http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/braidxboxlivearcade/.

I can't help but blame myself and my natural gift as a convincatorator. And this means I won't be able to buy the full game until probably Wednesday night or Thursday.

:(

JSnake

sigh. I had to spend all my points on Monk episodes that I'd only watch once. Is there a kind soul out there that will give me some points? Yeah right. :((

Francias Castiglione said:
Well worth $15 from what I've seen and read. If the demo is any good then I expect it to be bought in large numbers.

It will be. There'll be your usual stable of grousers but the buzz is going to be phenomenal once reviews and impressions start to surface. And by the end of the week when people finish it, well...

This game will do very well in the long term, but expect much preening when the Top Ten releases and it's either low or not there at all.

Jme

$15 already spent in my book... I can't wait. With the lack of Virtual Console/WiiWare content worth a damn, I've had Digital Distribution funds burning a hole in my pocket for a long time now.
XBLA with Braid, Castle Crashers, Bionic Commando Rearmed are filling that void nicely and in rapid succession.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It will be. There'll be your usual stable of grousers but the buzz is going to be phenomenal once reviews and impressions start to surface. And by the end of the week when people finish it, well...

This game will do very well in the long term, but expect much preening when the Top Ten releases and it's either low or not there at all.

The hilarious thing is that $15 for a game like this should be considered a bargain, especially when you consider the utter wank that people pay for on direct download PC sites or for the DS/PSP.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The hilarious thing is that $15 for a game like this should be considered a bargain, especially when you consider the utter wank that people pay for on direct download PC sites or for the DS/PSP.
Seriously. I dont get why people feel entitled to get shit for extra cheap because it's a XBLA DD.

And that somehow $5 is an insurmountable fiduciary obstacle. I mean, personally I'm a bit skint post-rent, but it doesn't mean I won't get it the second I can.

Eric WK

I'd be paying 1600 or *cough* 1800 if that's where it was priced, but I have a feeling a lot of people who would have been swayed at 800 won't be at 1200.

Still day one for me. Though I'm close to running out of my Target discount points, so this one might actually require $15 out of pocket. It's hard to imagine this game not being worth it, though.

Eric WK said:
I'd be paying 1600 or *cough* 1800 if that's where it was priced, but I have a feeling a lot of people who would have been swayed at 800 won't be at 1200.

I really need to make a gif of a $5 bill going Cloverfield on an entire city.

Eric WK said:
I have a feeling a lot of people who would have been swayed at 800 won't be at 1200.

Your feeling is correct, in my case anyway. $10 is the limit as to how much I'll spend on a console digital download. I don't even own the software! I'm not guaranteed to be able to play it forever! $10 is the most I can justify spending in a situation like that.

When's the PC version coming? I'll buy that because I know I can keep it, play it forever, etc. I actually own what I paid for....generally speaking.

Hmmm. I'm intrigued by this and will check out the demo.

Sidebar: What's the best way to get cheap MS points these days? eBay? Hold out for TRU/BB sales? Between this and the other arcade games, I'm probably going to be spending a lot in the upcoming weeks.

Jme

I know if you go to the post office and pick up a Change of Address form, it has a few coupons in there, one of which includes 10% off any item at Best Buy. I mean, it's only 10% but it's something, if you're hard up.

KingGraham said:
Your feeling is correct, in my case anyway. $10 is the limit as to how much I'll spend on a console digital download. I don't even own the software! I'm not guaranteed to be able to play it forever! $10 is the most I can justify spending in a situation like that.

When's the PC version coming? I'll buy that because I know I can keep it, play it forever, etc. I actually own what I paid for....generally speaking.

Sadly, you are correct about the $10 price point.

The $10 price point, right now, is the "sweet spot" on XBLA. There's a huge revenue increase on average $5 games to $10 games, and has been for quite some time.

However, at the $15 price point...It's easy to make good money, but your WOM won't be as kind.

Case & Point: N+
Sure, N+ is going to be a PSP/DS Title, and because of that, they could of justified a $15+ pricetag, but didn't. They had it at $10, and has been incredibly successful at that price point, as it's still the best-selling new game in '08, until GeoWars (another $10 game) beats it in a few weeks.

Puzzle Quest: CotW and Bankshot Billiards , are the only games at $15 that has done incredibly well. And even then, it doesn't stack up against a lot of other titles. The $10 pricepoint for PQ has been pretty good thus far, and is doing quite a bit better in terms of both revenue and unit sales since the drop.

vermadas

Cornballer said:
Sidebar: What's the best way to get cheap MS points these days? eBay? Hold out for TRU/BB sales? Between this and the other arcade games, I'm probably going to be spending a lot in the upcoming weeks.

Target will have 1600 point cards for $15 the week of 8/10 - 8/16.

handofg0d said:
I know if you go to the post office and pick up a Change of Address form, it has a few coupons in there, one of which includes 10% off any item at Best Buy. I mean, it's only 10% but it's something, if you're hard up.
Cool.
vermadas said:
Target will have 1600 point cards for $15 the week of 8/10 - 8/16.
Thanks. Time to stock up and save, I guess. :D

Will demo and read impressions online, but in all likelihood it'll be well worth it.

CC will certainly be more than 800 pts now. Still doubt they will go up to 1600 or 1800 though.

This is obviously an effort to make it look like a premium title above tripe like Eets and Cloning Clyde. Shame, cuz I'll miss those five bucks dearly.

Zeitgeister said:
F***. That's 200 more than I actually have right now and I didn't want to get more points... guess I'll have to now (Edge certainly hyped me up for Braid).

I recommend using the Zune site so you're not stuck with dangling space bucks.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
This game could be mistaken for an Amiga 1200 game. It feels so typical Amiga, it's almost frightening. Like I'm going back in time and looking at screenshots for a new game in Amiga Format.

I love it!

Top Bottom