• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Shard said:
Yea, so, the price point of 1200 points has been officially denied by Microsoft, at least for the moment. The real price point will be revealed Monday.

They've denied 1200....so I guess that means its a 1600pt price then :p

800pts and I'll be totally there. Bionic Commando too probably. My friend got Geo Wars 2 today and seems to be enjoying it as well though..... :/

*shakes fist* Curses! Darn you XBLA Summer schedule!!

strx said:
I'm guessing the length of this game really depends on how well you know the puzzles, almost like how fast you can be a Metroid game if you know it really well. Seems like the kind of game you'll see speedruns for with really fast times. That's not to say it doesn't look any less brilliant.

Speed Run
Complete a full speed run of the entire game, beating the challenge time.

It definitely looks like it was a consideration.

:D

Proelite said:
$15 bucks is a bit too much. I can't justify purchasing it when R&C quest for booty is the same price.

The only possible justification for sanity in this statement is if ONLY have 15 bucks to spend on a game on that particular day, and so you have a zero sum situation.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Has a time frame besides "sometime in 2008" for the PC version been given? I hope it comes soon after the XBLA release.

Borman

Hey there GAF, I had the chance to speak with Jonathan Blow, the creator of Braid, and get his opinion on a number of things..
One of the highlights:
Another user would like to hear your thoughts on the fact that many innovative titles (Such as Braid, or any number of the other breakout hits on the Digital Distribution networks) are being pushed into online distribution, rather then being put onto store shelves with many of the blockbusters. Do you see this as a good thing, or a bad thing, whether because of differences in revenue, media attention, or any number of factors.

I don't know. It's been hard to get a game onto retail shelves ever since I got started in games. But when I got started, Internet publishing was not even an option. But now it is -- so the situation looks, to me, much better than it was 10 years ago. Whether that will hold up, I don't know. XBLA already does not seem so great for indies any more.

Read the Entire Article @ SuperiorVersion.com

In addition, a video of the entire World 2 has been uploaded :)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Borman said:
Hey there GAF, I had the chance to speak with Jonathan Blow, the creator of Braid, and get his opinion on a number of things..
One of the highlights:

Read the Entire Article @ SuperiorVersion.com

In addition, a video of the entire World 2 has been uploaded :)
*sigh*

If there's one thing I hate more than a whiney developer, it's a whiney independent developer.

He's lucky enough that Microsoft picked up the game for XBLA, he even said himself he wouldn't be able to get a publisher deal for a disc title.

Were it not for Microsoft the game would have been forced to compete with a million other PC games from little guys like himself, and it sure as hell wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular as it will be now. It certainly wouldn't have anywhere near as much press coverage.

He should be thanking Microsoft for giving him the opportunity, because this could lead to bigger and better things, but no, he chooses to shove it right back in their faces.

cjelly said:
He should be thanking Microsoft for giving him the opportunity, because this could lead to bigger and better things, but no, he chooses to shove it right back in their faces.

what?

Not every developer interview has to be a love letter to Microsoft.

or does it?

BeeDog

This game looks awesome. Was wondering (haven't read about it anywhere), is there any chance for this game to arrive on PSN, or is it exclusive to MS? I'd go with the PC version if nothing else, but I'd rather play it on a console with a gamepad.

BeeDog said:
This game looks awesome. Was wondering (haven't read about it anywhere), is there any chance for this game to arrive on PSN, or is it exclusive to MS? I'd go with the PC version if nothing else, but I'd rather play it on a console with a gamepad.

Just get a 360 controller for the PC.

BeeDog said:
No, not getting a controller for one game. Wasn't my question anyhow.

I imagine you could use it for other games that would go great with a 360 controller.

As for it being exclusive or not, I dunno.

BeeDog

UltimaPooh said:
I imagine you could use it for other games that would go great with a 360 controller.

As for it being exclusive or not, I dunno.

Haven't played a single game on my PC that would be better with a gamepad, so feels a bit overkill to buy a controller for such a "simple" game (no offense, it's no Crysis-level PC game obviously). Hence my PSN question. :D Hopefully it plays well with a keyboard if nothing else.

FightyF

Banned
BeeDog said:
Haven't played a single game on my PC that would be better with a gamepad, so feels a bit overkill to buy a controller for such a "simple" game (no offense, it's no Crysis-level PC game obviously). Hence my PSN question. :D Hopefully it plays well with a keyboard if nothing else.

You can use the wired 360 pad on your PC AND on your 360.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
BeeDog said:

There are no plans for a PSN version at this time.

BeeDog

FightyF said:

If I had a 360, you think I would ask the question in the first place? :D Thanks Shard for the answer, PC version it is then it seems.

FightyF

Banned
BeeDog said:
If I had a 360, you think I would ask the question in the first place? :D Thanks Shard for the answer, PC version it is then it seems.

No but you could always get a 360 in the future (especially with a price drop) and then you'll automatically have another controller for it.

BeeDog

FightyF said:
No but you could always get a 360 in the future (especially with a price drop) and then you'll automatically have another controller for it.

That's an entirely different topic though; I simply asked if a downloadable XBLA game would be ported to PSN, and it lead to buy a 360. :lol (and yes, I'm looking at a possible 360 purchase, but nothing that's close in time)

Kuroyume

Banned
Regarding Braid on PSN:

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=224#comment-1958

There is a possibility for a PS3 port but not for a little while; there is a limited-time exclusivity in place.

I think it might be pretty hard to port Braid to the PS3 (speaking as someone who has done PS3 programming before). Jeff at RAD Game Tools tells me they have a pretty fast Vorbis decoder that (I think) uses the SPUs, so that is one of the main stumbling blocks. But there are other parts of Braid that are more expensive CPU-wise than you might think, and they might have trouble running at sufficient speed on the PS3.

I probably would hire someone to port it, though (given that I have the money to do that) since I would rather be working on the next game.

Eric WK

Warren Ellis said:
when the pc version will be released ? and the price ?

It'll be released when Jonathan Blow finishes it and nobody knows the price. He's still trying to find a distribution method on PC. Apparently Valve has been, well, less than polite when he's contacted them in the past about releasing on Steam.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Eric WK said:
It'll be released when Jonathan Blow finishes it and nobody knows the price. He's still trying to find a distribution method on PC. Apparently Valve has been, well, less than polite when he's contacted them in the past about releasing on Steam.

WAT? I really it gets a PC release...

Eric WK

Mistouze said:
WAT? I really it gets a PC release...

It's going to get a PC release before the end of the year. What PC platform it launches on is still in question.

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=229#comments

The PC version will be released when I finish it… I’m not sure when that will be. I don’t know if it will be available through Steam or not. Valve definitely has not been calling me on the phone about it…

Guys… I called Valve 2 years ago. And then again a year later. They were very slow to get back to me and were very unprofessional (and one might say rude) about it. Clearly they were not very interested in the game. They agreed that they might publish it, but said they would sell very few copies.

Since then it hasn’t been a priority for me to try and deal with them; it just hasn’t been worth it yet. At some point, later, maybe — but they haven’t made themselves a publishing partner that I am eager to work with.

I’m not saying that the game won’t come to Steam eventually… but I’m having trouble visualizing it as a launch platform for the PC version. Because when you launch, you really want the service you are launching with to care about your game…

Mr. Blow funded initial development of Braid with money raised from (experimental) development of games on the IBM cell platform. Wonder why the game didn't go there first?

sky

After watching the developer walkthrough, this does look pretty neat.
How well all these cool mechanics are balanced... that remains to be seen.

The only thing jarring (apart from the ugly art style) is the default run and jump speed looks slooowww.

Might give this a try, though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
cjelly said:
*sigh*

If there's one thing I hate more than a whiney developer, it's a whiney independent developer.

He's lucky enough that Microsoft picked up the game for XBLA, he even said himself he wouldn't be able to get a publisher deal for a disc title.

Were it not for Microsoft the game would have been forced to compete with a million other PC games from little guys like himself, and it sure as hell wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular as it will be now. It certainly wouldn't have anywhere near as much press coverage.

Yeah, he should probably bend over and show his appreciation.

XBLA is great way for indies to get into the spotlight, but it's far from perfect. I would rather see indies and MS work together to improve the situation than pretend that the problems don't exist. XBLA has lost some promising games due to all the red tape required to develop for the platform. Maybe XNA will help address some of the issues.

That video has sealed the purchase for me, the way it all came together was just beautiful.

Son of Godzilla said:
I doubt it'll be 66% as good as R&C, not buying.

Please tell me you're kidding, or at least have the number of a good doctor. :lol

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
FightyF said:

And I picked up the official MS adapter for using wireless 360 pads on PC for $7. YMMV.

BenjaminBirdie said:
:O

HE USED THE PLATFORM IN THE PUZZLE AS A PLATFORM IN THE FUCKING LEVEL.

You have GOT to be fucking kidding me. Portal 2008 CONFIRMED.
I was thinking "yeah, yeah... whatever" and then I watched it.

traveler

Not Wario
This looks absolutely fantastic. My only question is- does it play well on the analog stick? I'd prefer to avoid the 360 pad if possible.

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
And as far as the puzzle pieces go, honestly this game looks pretty heartbreaking.

Yeah, I think the only thing Edge listed as a negative had to do with the "story," but that's another piece of what makes this game so beautiful to me.

traveler said:
This looks absolutely fantastic. My only question is- does it play well on the analog stick? I'd prefer to avoid the 360 pad if possible.
Can't imagine why it wouldn't. I wouldn't even consider trying the dpad unless I really had to. :D

Eric WK said:
Yeah, I think the only thing Edge listed as a negative had to do with the "story," but that's another piece of what makes this game so beautiful to me.

Yeah, that had me concerned. And the text stuff might look a bit heavy handed at times (at least from what brief glimpses you get in that video), but watching that video I was completely compelled to see that whole puzzle, mostly because I knew where it was going. Even the text throughout the game isn't 100% fantastic, the narrative, and what it's doing (which is just as much the story as any written prompts) looks like it's going to deliver in ways I can't think of any other game even attempting.

Borman

I used the Analog stick for recording the video, works fine ;)

And it should be noted that those puzzles are extremely easy. Just wait until you start having clones of yourself running around, or bending time to use a key in multiple doors, or moving forward to advance time (while moving backwards to rewind). It gets to be quite difficult. I'd record more video, but Im just terrible at getting it correct the first time, there would be lots of rewinding as the levels got harder :p

traveler

Not Wario
Borman said:
I used the Analog stick for recording the video, works fine ;)

And it should be noted that those puzzles are extremely easy. Just wait until you start having clones of yourself running around, or bending time to use a key in multiple doors, or moving forward to advance time (while moving backwards to rewind). It gets to be quite difficult. I'd record more video, but Im just terrible at getting it correct the first time, there would be lots of rewinding as the levels got harder :p

Good to hear. Also nice to hear that it gets more complicated. I didn't see anything bad about what I saw, but it certainly wasn't OMGZ amazing stuff until that ending with the picture. Can't wait to see the stuff later on if it does, indeed, head more down that path.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
BenjaminBirdie said:

HE USED THE PLATFORM IN THE PUZZLE AS A PLATFORM IN THE FUCKING LEVEL.

You have GOT to be fucking kidding me. Portal 2008 CONFIRMED.
I felt the same way at the end of the video, then I realized I just spoiled one of the puzzles. So I won't be watching anymore Braid gameplay.

SapientWolf said:
I felt the same way at the end of the video, then I realized I just spoiled one of the puzzles. So I won't be watching anymore Braid gameplay.

I played the gamee about three months ago. I was stuck at that part until someone at the office figured it out. When I saw the solution I just started applauding. Such brilliant game design.

genjiZERO

How is that Donkey Kong pic not a TM and copy right violation? And the goombas (and did I see a green pipe?) too.

looks awesome though

genjiZERO said:
How is that Donkey Kong pic not a TM and copy right violation? And the goombas (and did I see a green pipe?) too.

looks awesome though

It's not a picture of Donkey Kong. It's instructions to jump on one of nem things.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Warm Machine said:
I played the gamee about three months ago. I was stuck at that part until someone at the office figured it out. When I saw the solution I just started applauding. Such brilliant game design.
So on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most brilliant puzzle in Braid, where would the one in the video fit?

I'm here to join the "cautious haters"-group. The graphics do nothing to me, I almost kinda hate them. The gameplay looked bland in the 1up Show back in the days. It does seem to have some redeeming qualites too, so I'll wait and see.

Top Bottom