• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand New Announce Fifth Album out in October

Jon

As much as I love Manchester Orchestra and that album in particular, this thing blows it away.

Completely agree. Which is honestly hard for me to believe because I was blown away by the new Man Orch album a few weeks ago. But this is on another level.

droggg

For real? I thought that song was like fan fav territory, I had no idea.

When I saw them in Melbourne Jesse played it solo with Kev Devine coming in to do harmonies, only problem is when kevin D walked on stage he tripped over a guitar cable and unplugged/ruined the cable, lol. It was still an awesome performance.

It is, no idea what that dude is talking about....

Kyonashi

I still haven't listened to this cause I haven't really had the time to sit down and put headphones on and give it the time it deserves (it's the final record, after all), but I have been listening to the older albums to maintain my excitement.

It's crazy how much of a split there is between the two eras of Brand New for me - I'm really not the biggest fan of YFW, though I probably would have liked it if I'd listened when I was 15 or so it's not really my thing anymore. Deja I find much easier to listen to but it wouldn't be a go-to album for my current tastes, so it's incredible to me how much I adore Devil & God, basically like it's from a completely different band. Daisy I didn't know what to make of when I first heard it but now it's a close second behind D&G. Also shoutout to Mene which is secretly in their Top 5 songs.

The reactions I've heard for Science Fiction so far sound like exactly what I'm looking for and I'm really excited to hear it. Really bummed I missed out on London tickets.

hampig

Completely agree. Which is honestly hard for me to believe because I was blown away by the new Man Orch album a few weeks ago. But this is on another level.

Seriously, the new Manchester album is way ahead of anything they've done before for me, and then Brand New comes along weeks later and does the exact same thing. I'm sad I didn't have more time to appreciate the new Manchester before being sucked into Brand New.

you know what, fuck it. I was going to wait until somebody else posted, but if I haven't earned four posts in a row in a thread about brand new at NeoGAF.com, nobody has. I'm not going to spam any more, this was just an important night in my life a decade ago.

https://youtu.be/Uif9IO3qNrc
https://youtu.be/def_8ZFdsoU
https://youtu.be/RcIvKsFbxHA
https://youtu.be/RJlVHDW0DMg
https://youtu.be/-ecXIWZeCb8

the audio in these is awful but I still think they're pretty good if you already know the lyrics and songs.

Exuro

I wish they did more official live recordings. Had one opportunity to see them but tickets were scalp prices at $250ish so I passed. I'm hoping they have more tour dates next year before they break up. :(

Media

I don't believe you.

Just so you know, my already high opinion of you tripled when I found out you were just as obsessed with Brand New as I am.

B0pjo.gif

mWOgIeW.gif

4sWaHzu.gif

Also I don't have mene why why why

After around 5 listen-throughs, my favorite tracks for now are (sorta in order?):

Can't Get It Out
Same Logic / Teeth
Lit Me Up

It's a really good album. It's pretty mellow overall and a part of me wishes there were both some harder tracks and some more upbeat tracks and even some more poppy tracks, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Media

After around 5 listen-throughs, my favorite tracks for now are (sorta in order?):

Can't Get It Out
Same Logic / Teeth
Lit Me Up

It's a really good album. It's pretty mellow overall and a part of me wishes there were both some harder tracks and some more upbeat tracks and even some more poppy, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Lit me Up and Can't Get it Out are in my tops too but I am still going on my second listen (I was late to the game) His vocals on Lit Me Up.

TlzCqRM.gif

Jesse Lacey is the best lyricist of all time. OF ALL TIME.

can't get it out is legitimately the best rock song I have ever heard. aside from mene.

it's making listening to the rest of the album a problem.

Perineum

This was an awesome surprise since I thought just the few songs we got months ago was going to be it.

Brand New was my favorite band forever until the getting close to the release of Daisy, and then Daisy was a huge wet fart let down. There's 2-3 good beats on it, but the rest was not worth waiting from The Devil and God for. Deja Entendu is timeless to me, their first album has 2 or 3 ok songs to me now in my older age, Devil and God has a lot of good tracks, and Daisy has 2-3 like I said.

This here though? Science Fiction...is what Daisy should've been. A LOT of good tracks that remind me of a lot of their sort of leaked or unreleased songs. It has a mellow vibe with deep lyrics provoking thought and imagery. Jesse Lacey still is the best song writer of all time in just how he can paint a picture with words so well.

Are they back to being my favorite band of all time? No, but this did push them back to relevance for me even though the rumors say this is their swan song to retirement.

Fantastic album!

Media

I am such a sucker for ocean metaphors that Play Crack the Sky will always be my favorite song ever. But yeah these are fucking amazing. I was so disappointed with Daisy like it would have been a great album if I didn't have such high freaking expectations, but this. THIS.

This was an awesome surprise since I thought just the few songs we got months ago was going to be it.

Brand New was my favorite band forever until the getting close to the release of Daisy, and then Daisy was a huge wet fart let down. There's 2-3 good beats on it, but the rest was not worth waiting from The Devil and God for. Deja Entendu is timeless to me, their first album has 2 or 3 ok songs to me now in my older age, Devil and God has a lot of good tracks, and Daisy has 2-3 like I said.

This here though? Science Fiction...is what Daisy should've been. A LOT of good tracks that remind me of a lot of their sort of leaked or unreleased songs. It has a mellow vibe with deep lyrics provoking thought and imagery. Jesse Lacey still is the best song writer of all time in just how he can paint a picture with words so well.

Are they back to being my favorite band of all time? No, but this did push them back to relevance for me even though the rumors say this is their swan song to retirement.

Fantastic album!

Are you me? Though my favorite bands are a tie between Coheed and Cambria and Brand New cause I am weak.

I want to tell you we're alright
want to release all your doubt
I've got this thorn dug in deeply
sometimes I can't get it out
🖤

marrec

Banned
Lit me Up and Can't Get it Out are in my tops too but I am still going on my second listen (I was late to the game) His vocals on Lit Me Up.

TlzCqRM.gif

Jesse Lacey is the best lyricist of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Literally cannot stop singing Lit Me Up

Media

I want to tell you we're alright
want to release all your doubt
I've got this thorn dug in deeply
sometimes I can't get it out
��

5CwXzrb.gif

Literally cannot stop singing Lit Me Up

YFEgl.gif

as IF Y'ALL DIDN'T KNOW I USE A LOT OF GIFS WHEN I GET EXCITED.

Also Desert reminds me a lot of Handcuffs. Jesse doesn't hesitate to confront the very darkest parts of humanity with unflinching honesty.

Perineum

I am such a sucker for ocean metaphors that Play Crack the Sky will always be my favorite song ever. But yeah these are fucking amazing. I was so disappointed with Daisy like it would have been a great album if I didn't have such high freaking expectations, but this. THIS.

Are you me? Though my favorite bands are a tie between Coheed and Cambria and Brand New cause I am weak.

My favorite band spot went to Cage the Elephant. They have 0 bad songs, and their music just seems timeless. Like a modern Beatles.

Brand New is very unique though. It just brings you to a place, to a time, to a feeling. When a song of theirs is well done, which a vast majority are, it's something special that no other music creator of any genre has been able to tap into. Or well not at least this consistently. It's Jesse. The guy lives a haunted life. Interviews of him are like capturing a ghost on camera.

I was listening to this off my phone today driving around having to do errands, and it was just like my soul came out and sat in the car seat next to me. Immediately I was brought back to my high school days, then their concerts, a best friend who bonded with me over Brand New that introduced me to them and we no longer speak, etc. Just a lot of feelings.

Love Cage the Elephant and other musicians, but no one has a grip on my essence like these guys do.

Perineum

did anyone even mention cage the elephant or was that completely unsolicited?

????

We were talking about BN being our favorite band then falling out with them after Daisy failed to impress. He mentioned his 3 way split favorite spot, and I sounded off where my top spot went to which was Cage the Elephant.

Perineum

no I was just making sure I was following correctly. continue.

Ah ok.

Yeah as I've grown older my taste in music I swear took a detour left. Younger me loved BN, AFI, Manchester Orchestra, Weezer, Modest Mouse, Taking Back Sunday, etc etc. Fairly big emo influence, but was never an "emo" kid in dress or attitude.

These days I feel like I like Cage, Imagine Dragons, and fall back on a lot of 90's early 2000's bands musics such as Sugar Ray, Radiohead, NiN, Nirvana, Killers, Thrice etc.

Heck I didn't even realize Manchester had a new album until I read some of this thread so I'll have to listen to that soon.

This album is really special though. More so if it is their last. It has some distinct sounds that are akin to Modest Mouse at their prime too. Same Logic reminds me of MM.

I agree with a lot of you that it is hard to pay attention to the rest of the album right now because Can't Get it Out is beyond good.

Media

????

We were talking about BN being our favorite band then falling out with them after Daisy failed to impress. He mentioned his 3 way split favorite spot, and I sounded off where my top spot went to which was Cage the Elephant.

I can't believe I'm doing this but...

She :p

They were really bad the last time I saw them so I didn't have high hopes for this.

Turns out it's really good! They really haven't done any wrong album-wise though so in hindsight I shouldn't be surprised.

They hit #1?! That's fantastic.

That said, ive listened to science fiction 50 plus times.

My favorite albums of the year before this were menzingers, at the drive in, Manchester, and cold war kids but I think this will be #1. Amazing start to finish

I have no idea how it works but projections or whatever put it at the #1 album in the country. whatever that means.

I think we made it, guys. 🤓

Top Bottom