• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

aww fuck multiple endings?

If the requirements are bullshit, there'll be hell to pay. If you're going to clarify this, spoiler tag pls.

I'm still angry about that because
I accidentally triggered the event that led to the early ending because I got too curious about a certain something, and the game decided to spoil parts of the plot I wasn't even supposed to know at that point.
I hope they have fixed that for the new version.

LuuKyK

Subscribed! Is it february yet? I can't believe I have to wait till then to play this and Lightning Returns. It will be such a heavy month with all these releases.

All the characters in this game seem so full of personality! I literally cannot wait to play it. Edea already seems like a character I will like.

Necrovex

I'm jealous of all you Europeans being able to play this before me! This is my most anticipated title of next year.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Great OT!

Bless Nintendo for publishing it in the west. I have high expectations for this title to bring back nostalgic feelings of past turn-based SE RPGs.

Jeels

Wow, North America got shafted on the box art. I don't know why SENA has such poor taste...

I'd buy the UK one or something if the 3DS was actually region free.

I'd love to hear impressions on difficulty from European brethren so I know which difficulty to pick once the NA version comes out.

Shinta

Banned
Looking forward to this, but thread title is unfortunate and unnecessary. Very few people gave a damn about 4 Heroes of Light. I got it, but it wasn't better than any major FF games, fun as it was.

Phazon

Is there any character development for the main cast?

Most of the characters will have to deal with the secrets they keep or their anxieties yes and eventually they'll face them or deal with the consequences.

I'm not going to tell the story is something we've never seen before, but for me it was very charming and heartwarming, with a bit of humor, sadness, joy etc. I liked it very much.

If some people want to see the cities, I can share some pictures of them in a spoiler.

ohlawd

I'm still angry about that because
I accidentally triggered the event that led to the early ending because I got too curious about a certain something, and the game decided to spoil parts of the plot I wasn't even supposed to know at that point.
I hope they have fixed that for the new version.

that sounds pretty bad. I'm more worried about getting locked into an ending after a certain point because I want to get to the true ending (or best ending if this game has one) on my first run. I don't have time to play any JRPG the second time unless there's a NG+ that can drastically cut my playtime - SMTIV did this perfectly.

DKoops

Neo Member
Maybe this is the JRPG I need....

I don't want to be social, I don't really have to summon friends or anything do I? It's just a standard single-player?

No, you don't have to. It is an extra thing that you can do if you would want that. Used it twice for the review, but outside of that didn't.

I really want this.

But what's with the microtransactions mess I've been hearing? Do they ruin the game? Or is it just something trivial?

It is a shitty little thing and totally not needed to complete the venture. Pretty much an escape card to attack outside your turn, but considering the game is so well balanced, there is no need to use it. You are reminded that you can use it and the game explains that you can, but... no. Just no.

ie2eb8ol.png

Well rounded post, OT!

Totally looking forward to this. But yeah, I guess you can't like one game without shitting on another. Thread title is rather negative.

Aeana

I really want this.

But what's with the microtransactions mess I've been hearing? Do they ruin the game? Or is it just something trivial?
It's something that wasn't even in the original version of the game, so you can be sure they aren't necessary.

holysan

I should probably ignore comments about FFIX vibes. Expectations are already high enough, no need to increase them any further.

Ikon

Man, I'm so getting this on the 6th. Question is though: do I try to get ahold of the CE? That statue looks kinda nice.. but I don't have any others and don't feel like picking up another thing to collect..

ramyeon

I am really damn hyped for this. I still can't believe it's coming out next weekend, when it was first announced for Japan I was sceptical of it ever being localised at all. Definitely day one for me.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
So...are there any differences between streetpassing BD-players or having them in your friendslist?

Riposte

Petty thread title, but I guess I shouldn't expect better.

The mechanics have a twist, as JRPGs tend to have, but is the combat easy to overpower to the point where it doesn't matter, as JRPGs tend to be? How is leveling balanced?

EDIT:

Is this okay because it is not Lightning wearing it?

DKoops

Neo Member
So...are there any differences between streetpassing BD-players or having them in your friendslist?

If you are friends, you can update the data of said friends to reflect their current progression throughout the game. StreetPass hits can better be considered guests to your game.

Man, I'm so getting this on the 6th. Question is though: do I try to get ahold of the CE? That statue looks kinda nice.. but I don't have any others and don't feel like picking up another thing to collect..

I haven't seen the figure in person, but it's probably not very nice if the official images and video are accurate. If you want the CE, you should act fast.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
If you are friends, you can update the data of said friends to reflect their current progression throughout the game. StreetPass hits can better be considered guests to your game.

Okay, but there is no gameplay mechanic locked behind StreetPass that I couldn't get by exchanging my Friend Code, right?
I imagine it'll pretty difficult for me to find other BD players near my area, so I'd rather rely on having a bunch of Friend Codes exchanged.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
At long last. The sequel to my favorite JRPG of the past 5 years has arrived.

Great job on the OP! And a fitting subtitle.

McNum

Ouch at the thread title. It's funny because it's true. Welcome back, Final Fantasy. Sorry to see you had to change your name.

I'm also a little worried about the multiple endings thing, especially considering the demo has an auto-save enabled by default (heh.) Can anyone tell me in as little spoilers as possible why I shouldn't worry?

Okay, but there is no gameplay mechanic locked behind StreetPass that I couldn't get by exchanging my Friend Code, right?
I imagine it'll pretty difficult for me to find other BD players near my area, so I'd rather rely on having a bunch of Friend Codes exchanged.

Nope. Streetpass isn't required for anything

Kater

Banned
So hyped!
Can't wait to pick up my CE next Thursday or Friday.

Quick Question: Will the villagers that I got from streetpassing in the demo of BDFF transition over to the new game?

Rootbeer

Banned
Feb can't come fast enough.

Need to get my butt to GS and reserve the CE. Was hoping amazon would come through but they still don't have even the normal edition up

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Dreamy OT! Informative too, and subtitle is rock&roll

Pm'd for friend list

Very excited about this, finally here!!!

Don't understand why FF: 4 Heroes of Light doesn't get more love here as I adored that game but I'm even more excited for Bravely Default. Day one for US release definitely for me. Just deciding between the normal and collector's edition now - decisions decisions.

Anyone know anything about the artbook that comes with the CE version - especially for the US release? I can't find anything about it online which always bothers me with that type of pre-order bonus, like I want to know if it will be hard cover, how many pages it will be, if all of them will be in color, the dimensions of the book, etc.

Top Bottom