• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Zalman

Man, I just finished playing the demo and I really wanted to like it, but it didn't really click with me. I really have no idea why. The music was great, but the overall setting and art style didn't capture me at all. Guess this one isn't for me.

cafemomo

Man, I just finished playing the demo and I really wanted to like it, but it didn't really click with me. I really have no idea why. The music was great, but the overall setting and art style didn't capture me at all. Guess this one isn't for me.

care to elaborate a lil bit on why you didn't like the artstlye? just curious

Zalman

care to elaborate a lil bit on why you didn't like the artstlye? just curious
I guess I wanted something with a bit more color, something more lively. The medieval setting doesn't do it for me either. I can only speak about this particular demo, maybe the rest of the game is different.

To be fair the game never appealed to me when I watched the trailers, but I wanted to give it a fair shot. Might try it again later on, maybe it clicks with me the second time.

Soriku

I guess I wanted something with a bit more color, something more lively. The medieval setting doesn't do it for me either. I can only speak about this particular demo, maybe the rest of the game is different.

To be fair the game never appealed to me when I watched the trailers, but I wanted to give it a fair shot. Might try it again later on, maybe it clicks with me the second time.

Medieval setting...well the game is a fantasy game like older FFs. That said this game has an airplane and train summon...

bdff-007.jpg

bdff-001.jpg

As for the colors, it doesn't seem to be an overly vibrant game, but I like the look *shrug*

cafemomo

Hmmm I see.

Have you played any of the older FF titles?

akaoni

Banned
I need a game that blows me away having failed to finish several games in a row over the past few months. Will this be the one?

Lusankya

Added a bunch of reviews, jpggames, (German), ingame.de(German), Gameliner(dutch review site), and Nintendolife(English) reviews. I haven't seen a score below a 9 yet, this might be the highest reviewed 3rd party game in a while.

So pumped to play this game when it comes out in America.

Here is an 8/10 (German):

http://www.planet3ds.de/test/278-review-bravely-default.html

Although I don't really get the score, because the text implies he really likes the game.

Anyways, I translate his pros and cons.

+ Exciting side quests...
- ...but old-fashioned story
+ Interesting characters
+ Charming art design
+ Flexible job system
+ Picturesque towns
+ Music is a special treat
+ Most of the dialogue is dubbed (English + Japanese)
(+ Text is (also) available on German)

- Monotonous dungeons
- Quite stiff dialogue passages
- Longsome rebuilding of Norende
- Dubious DLC (microtransactions)

I guess the 8 is mostly because he was not too fond of the story, but that's pretty subjective anyways and most people just expect a standard story for that genre.

Zenaku

Well it's really long so that lowers your chances of finishing it.

The scenario has been reworked to reduce the games length. No word on exactly what was done yet, but they shouldn't have fully cut anything.

Knocking points off for the story being simple seems a little premature to me. The story may seem simple in the beginning, but it's really not. Rebuilding Nolende being time consuming doesn't make sense either, since it's designed to take most of the game, rather than be finished in the first 5 hours.

Kenka

If this game is ANYTHING like FF9 then I will love it.
To beat FF IX will be difficult. Taken into the context of its launch, it was a rather awkward release at a time when we expected IX to be VIII but bigger, deeper and more dramatic. Instead we got a Commedia dell' Arte which didn't click with me.

But with time passing by, taken out of the context, it is a huge masterpiece. Up there with the gems of the last decade, and certainly more appealing today than FF VIII which didn't age as finely.

If this game is ANYTHING like FF9 then I will love it.
I think they are really different. To me, it's obvious BD didn't receive the same budget, they reuse quite a lot of ennemies or dungeons textures, cities are really tiny...that doesn't mean it isn't good but to me it's really its own thing (and closer to snes FF than FFIX if you should make a comparison.)

Fedele

Been playing the demo today and I have to say I really like it. Great choice for any JRPG fan. I was a bit skeptical about the new Brave/Default system, but I can see how it increases your control over battle.

Another game I'll have to get... almost looking forward for 10-hour plane trips now.

I think they are really different. To me, it's obvious BD didn't receive the same budget, they reuse quite a lot of ennemies or dungeons textures, cities are really tiny...that doesn't mean it isn't good but to me it's really its own thing (and closer to snes FF than FFIX if you should make a comparison.)

What did it reuse from?

What did it reuse from?
Sorry, I think I was not clear, they reuse quite a lot a ennemy models trough the game, only changing the color patterns, there is not a lot of variety. And some monsters come from FF 4 heroes of light (but better models I think) ...

Glass Rebel

To beat FF IX will be difficult. Taken into the context of its launch, it was a rather awkward release at a time when we expected IX to be VIII but bigger, deeper and more dramatic. Instead we got a Commedia dell' Arte which didn't click with me.

But with time passing by, taken out of the context, it is a huge masterpiece. Up there with the gems of the last decade, and certainly more appealing today than FF VIII which didn't age as finely.

A masterpiece in everything but the slow battle system :(

redhood56

Banned
I am super excited for this! I am trading in my regular 3DS for a 3DS XL, but I have to wait until 2014 :(. Early 2014 is going to be good for handheld gamers, this and dangan ronpa :)

Fedele

Actually, one thing that is bothering me is the 3D... feels pretty weird compared to Zelda: ALBW or Luigi's Mansion 2, maybe too strong. I have to set 3D to really low so I can play it.

daydream

Banned
Played my first 3 hours of the demo last night. Once it "clicked" (took me maybe 4-5 battles), it was amazing. This game will be amazing.

I was going to get it eventually, but now, anything other than Day 1 is out of the question. I hope you guys add me once I submit my FC. Let's get those Ablinks and Summons going.

Oxx

I took all of the shops in the village to max-level in the demo. Is there any more to unlock there?

Ragus

Banned
Just preordered it. Knowing, that I still have to beat ALBW, Ace Attorney 5 and 3 WiiU games, I will play this in 2014, but I just felt I had to support the success of BD.

I took all of the shops in the village to max-level in the demo. Is there any more to unlock there?
Nope that's all the shops you get on the demo.
Just preordered it. Knowing, that I still have to beat ALBW, Ace Attorney 5 and 3 WiiU games, I will play this in 2014, but I just felt I had to support the success of BD.
Be sure to try out the demo on the eShop as well:
QRCodes_3DS_BravelyDefault_qr_code_image.png

syoaran

Switched my preorder from Amazon to GAME to get the mini artbook. I regret nothing.

Really looking forward to this game, but I am worried about when I'm going to actually play it. Still completing PW5 and a host of other games. Still, bravo to S-E for finally localizing this title.

So I've played the demo nearly to completion (need to beat the Automaton yet but I'll just wait with that until I can buy good weapons finally).

In some regards I really like the game, especially as it has a bit of a Golden Sun vibe to me, graphically at least. The way the backgrounds are and the battles play out remind me of that, so does the ability to fast forward battle.

I'm indifferent about the combat system but am rather afraid it's gonna become quickly abusable and there'll be only a few effective ways to play.
That goes hand in hand with the job system which, at least in the demo, is kinda meh. And while I like choice I dislike how I have to basically grind the jobs before really seeing and enjoying their usefulness. Hard to comment on this stuff though, being limited to the demo.

Now what I really dislike is the entire town building stuff, especially since I'm pretty much never street passing people... well I don't intend to either. That's kinda annoying in what's otherwise obviously a single player focused game. I guess I can just use the online functionality in the full version and add some of you gaffers that way, but it still feels kinda stupid. Upgrading some town throughout the game hmm okay, if you find a good way. But this 'social' path, no, thank you.

That was actually what annoyed me the most. I wondered where I could get better weapons (physical attacks dealt so little damage to most guys) and latear realized I'd have to upgrade that town's weapon shops for that. Because of that i basically killed most enemies largely via Black Magic, especially the bosses (only now before the automaton did I actually start upgrading the town properly).

Anyways, I guess I can kinda overlook that.

What bothers me the most though is the character design which in my opinion is absolutely hideous. I blame the weak 3DS hardware and it's shitty pixel density to some degree, but man what's up with the hair styles and the hoof-feet. Again, graphically it kinda reminds me of the Golden Sun games (GBA ones are among my favorite games of all times while the DS one is a piece of shit, except for technical expertise)... well other than the character design.

They look so bad to me that I wonder if I could actually enjoy the story properly when I have to constantly look at these people. Speaking of which, the demo doesn't give any good indication about story. If I do end up getting this game I hope it's good and has nice character development and what not.

Now that sounded very negative but that's because i focused on the bad aspects. I didn't know about this game until 5 days ago and was suddenly really interested in playing a good JRPG again. It's just that the demo made me suspicious if my initial good impression may not actually hold up for long when I explored the gameplay mechanics in more depths.

Ark

That's an amazing OT, fitting for an amazing game ;)

Surprised to see I got a mention at the end :) Gunna have to wait until my birthday on the 14th before I can start playing this though. Really, really stoked for this.

Thank you for this. I've heard about this game, but I didn't know anything other than it was a spiritual successor of 4 Heroes of Light. I'm legitimately excited to play this for the character customization.

Ok, now I'm intrested, How

3 copies of the EUR CE & pre-order artbook (local pickup).

1 copy of BDFtS and 1 copy of Famitsū #1305 for the Foxbite dagger DLC + express shipping from Asia.

1 copy of Dengeki Nintendo for the Donnerschutz shield DLC, 1 copy of V Jump for the Shōri no Tachi katana DLC, 1 more copy of BDFtS, 1 copy of the Drama CD & pre-order bonus Cast Talk CD-E, 1 copy of the artbook, 1 copy of each BD novel volume, 1 copy of the game guide, 1 more copy of the Drama CD & pre-order bonus Cast Talk CD-A & pre-order bonus sticker + express shipping from Japan.

When might we get a demo in the US?

Probably about a month before launch, like Europe did.

3 copies of the EUR CE & pre-order artbook (local pickup).

1 copy of BDFtS and 1 copy of Famitsū #1305 for the Foxbite dagger DLC + express shipping from Asia.

1 copy of Dengeki Nintendo for the Donnerschutz shield DLC, 1 copy of V Jump for the Shōri no Tachi katana DLC, 1 more copy of BDFtS, 1 copy of the Drama CD & pre-order bonus Cast Talk CD-E, 1 copy of the artbook, 1 copy of each BD novel volume, 1 copy of the game guide, 1 more copy of the Drama CD & pre-order bonus Cast Talk CD-A & pre-order bonus sticker + express shipping from Japan.

And here I am thinking one copy of the collectors edition is too expensive. Damn.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Reading about the street-date breakage in France made me check, just in case, a local B&M here and oh shit - they're selling it! I'll be paying a visit to a certain electronics chain store tomorrow morning, guys, don't hate me ; )

Top Bottom