• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default review thread (Europe version)

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Why does 3ds get all the best software :(
I don't want to use it!
Nintendo, how about an emulator that needs a 3ds connected as an hardware key? Eh? Eh?

Soriku

What is your stance on the microtransactions? Does the game seem built around them, or is that something they plugged in for the western release?

They added them for the "For the Sequel" (Japanese updated version)/Western version. Neither are out.

The microtransaction seemed pointless and the NWR review is reiterating that.

No one will buy it, then continue to be confused why SE keeps pushing lightning and DLC in future games

Pretty sure the game will sell just fine.

Yagharek

They added them for the "For the Sequel" (Japanese updated version)/Western version. Neither are out.

The microtransaction seemed pointless and the NWR review is reiterating that.

This is promising then, assuming the game was built and balanced with normal play in mind.

Anyway, I have to buy this. PAL gamers have to, in order to have a snowball's chance of getting DQ7 remake.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm a big fan of NWR, and man that review is STRONG.

I mean they basically straight up said awesome presentation, intriguing story, and really good gameplay hooks.

Man this game seems to be top tier.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hey, all Americans should be playing Senran Kagura right now, so there is no possible way any of us do not have anything to play on 3DS for the coming months.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Summary

Pros

Brilliantly connected with StreetPass and online
Enjoyable Norende restoration sidequest
Lush and strong presentation
Plot that never stops being intriguing
Trifecta of interesting gameplay elements

Cons

Useless microtransactions

Useless microstransaction should be a pro.

IllumiNate

Aaaand now I wait till february. FFS Nintendo. I hate you so much.

MBHdjur.jpg

Spwn

Already have it preordered (since June). Loved the demo, can't wait for the full game. It'll be all I'll play this Christmas. The high reviews don't surprise me a bit.

Demo is phenomenal, full game is gonna be out of this world.

It always looked amazing but I had no idea it would be this good. The job system is a dream for FF and JRPG fans.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I want this game so bad, my main concern is the storyline and characters. Those are crucial for me in a JRPG.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm getting the game regardless, but how is the story in this one?

I really, really need a deep, intriguing story with plenty of plot turns and likeable characters in order to finish a lengthy RPG. Things like FFIX, FFXII, KOTOR, Chrono Trigger, FFTactics, etc come to mind.

Wagram

Can someone actually confirm if Bravely Default has difficulty levels you can choose from?

I'm not talking about encounter rate. Can I turn up the difficulty so I don't fall asleep playing the game?

Nakho

I feel so bad about having to leave Canada and come back to my home country for good just a week before this beauty releases. Had it pre-ordered :/

WHY NOT 2013 NOA WHYYYY

zroid

Banned
I feel so bad about having to leave Canada and come back to my home country for good just a week before this beauty releases. Had it pre-ordered :/

WHY NOT 2013 NOA WHYYYY

That's rough :*(

eShop is still an option, at least

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Can someone actually confirm if Bravely Default has difficulty levels you can choose from?

I'm not talking about encounter rate. Can I turn up the difficulty so I don't fall asleep playing the game?
From what I can see from the reveal trailer, there is EASY, NORMAL and HARD for difficulties; I have no idea why I capitalized them.

Nakho

That's rough :*(

eShop is still an option, at least

Yeah, will be getting that day 1 on the eShop and maybe the hard copy a little afterwards (I'm depending on the goodwill of friends on that, though). Double dipping will be worth it though, lots of hype!

LuuKyK

So you didn't make it through Naraku, huh.

I had to google that. :lol Is it an infamous dungeon in IV or something?

I actually didn't even make it through the process of buying the game since it features the cancer of the RPGs/JRPGs that is the first person perspective in battles. Which automatically turns any game into a shit-tier one. Its one of
my
gaming laws, haven't you heard?

Aeana

I actually didn't even make it through the process of buying the game since it features the cancer of the RPGs/JRPGs that is the first person perspective in battles.
Oh.

Well, then.

Velcro Fly

I'd trade SMT4 for it too, but it's mostly psychological. I want more what I cannot have right now. :(

Glad to see the reviews are good though. Not that bad ones would deter me.

Soriku

I actually didn't even make it through the process of buying the game since it features the cancer of the RPGs/JRPGs that is the first person perspective in battles. Which automatically turns any game into a shit-tier one. Its one of
my

Naraku is the first dungeon. And you are a terrible person :mad:

yeah, I already knew that... but sometimes Hard is too hard and Normal is way too easy, which is annoying. I just want a good challenge like we get with EO/SMT.

Well I've heard Normal is pretty challenging so I don't think that'll be a concern. I'm not positive about the difficulties though.

It really sucks we have to wait until Feb for this game but I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

Shengar

my

Calling a game boring then make fun of its name just because personal preference over perspective, all while never buying, let alone playing the actual game?

1347764409316.jpg

Well I've heard Normal is pretty challenging so I don't think that'll be a concern. I'm not positive about the difficulties though.

It really sucks we have to wait until Feb for this game but I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

I'm glad to hear that normal is pretty challenging, I'm not asking for brutal difficulty, but I like when a game makes me think during battles.

my

I don't have problems with anyone voicing their opinion, but damn what's your problem with first person perspective games? I remember when I was a child and saw Earthbound/DQ and thought "da fuck is this", then I grew up and noticed how amazing the first perspective could be, I felt like an idiot when I noticed I had missed out on some of the best oldschool JRPG's out there because of that.

And not liking first person rpgs means you've never played the Mother series? Oh god please say no. Maybe Persona Q will change your mind.

Hasney

After along this, I can finally come to terms with SE making Lightning return uninvited more times than herpes.

The 3DS is planning to bankrupt me...

Glass Rebel

High praise in these reviews, I hope it translates into sales.

Bravely Default has been my most anticipated game since it announcement and the demo has further strengthened my confidence in the title. It feels so surreal, thinking that I'll be playing something that is basically a modern classic Final Fantasy in less than two weeks.

I wonder if stores have already received it...

Top Bottom