• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default review thread (Europe version)

Revo and BD are intertwined now.
ibcFNgIcBIacIR.gif

Revo for BD2 or bust.

Agreed. The soundtrack is incredible, especially the track he's performing in the gif.

I see one upload has survived on YouTube.

ss-hikaru

My hype for this game is immeasurable! It's been THE game I've wanted since I bought a 3DS in February this year. I even bought the OST shortly after finding out about the game cos of some weird mentality i had going on..."if i buy the OST surely it will be localised!"...

And now it is localised and it's almost released and I can't waiiiiiit! Still playing through the demo, it's so good.

Can't wait for more reviews to feed my hype. Glad I can safely ignore the microtransactions, I'll probably never use SP, not even the ones I build up by leaving the 3DS in sleep mode. Just wondering how long it'll take me to rebuild Norende though...in the demo I was getting streetpasses from my brother, but we'll be sharing this game. I suppose as long as I get him to start a file and activate streetpass we'll be able to increase each other's village populations? (he's not getting to play the game until I finish it!!! XD)

Just wondering how long it'll take me to rebuild Norende though...in the demo I was getting streetpasses from my brother, but we'll be sharing this game. I suppose as long as I get him to start a file and activate streetpass we'll be able to increase each other's village populations? (he's not getting to play the game until I finish it!!! XD)
As long as you can both streetpass it'll continue give you villagers and you'll also recieve them through the internet as well, so yes you're plan will succeed...what I'm gonna do with my OG 3DS anyway =P

ys45

See SE ? these are the kind of RPG we want !
But no instead you keep making FF13 games for NA and Europe .

Well thank's to Nintendo we are getting this .

Wait... random aside, but is it the case that I can't even preorder this in the US yet? I don't see it on Amazon.com at the very least.

Weird.

Between this, Zelda, and the 3D Land deal, it's time to get on the 3DS train. What's the over-under on the story? Decent? Forgettable?

I've heard the story is one of the best in JRPG, or as one of the review points out as a positive: "Plot that never stops being intriguing"

Anyway folks OT will be out Thursday ;D

How important is StreetPass stuff to the game? Doubt I'll ever walk past someone with a 3DS and happen to have mine in Sleep mode

Downloading the demo now, no background downloading on the eshop?

eXistor

How important is StreetPass stuff to the game? Doubt I'll ever walk past someone with a 3DS and happen to have mine in Sleep mode

From what I know (from the demo) it's only useful for building your town faster, which gives you more items and equipment to buy (some powerful ones too). The more streetpasses you have, the more people live in your town and the faster they upgrade shops etc.

You really only have to know 1 person that plays this (streetpass hits stack). Just hit him up every 8 hours (I think) and your population should go up by 1 every time.

There are also retail-shops that have virtual streetpass hotspots and apparently you can even make one at home, so there are definitely ways to get more hits quickly.

Oxx

It's incredibly easy to Streetpass people these days using the Nintendo Zone relays. Just stand outside a McDonalds and you will probably get 6 passes.

Whether or not a lot of people are playing Bravely Default is another problem.

Netfriend Invite (or whatever it's called in English) once a day and you can have the place restored in a few days. Just let the town screen on while restoring and close the lid, it won't even add to the game clock. That's how it worked in BDFF anyway.

I can't even pre-order the NA CE in Canadia yet. :*(

I got a friend to order me two copies of the NA CE from Gamestop in the US.
I paid for my EUR CE copies today too, I think they'll let me pick them up on the 5th.
Not even going to play any of them.
96V97Mf.gif

LuuKyK

I have to ask, although I'm terrified about the rabbit hole I might end up going down:

What about Phantasy Star 2? Third-person perspective but viewed from *behind* the characters?

Qd206Cu.jpg

Thats better. At least you can see your character. I noticed that the Persona Q game shares the cancer of the RPGs from EO but it seems like you can see your character attacking so that is already a progress. But yeah, PS2 is a game from who knows when (its really old)... To think that games like EO IV and SMT IV are doing worse in 2012/2013 is really really worrying.

Zenaku

You don't even need the town screen on.

Just keep the system in sleep mode while the game is running (doesn't matter if the game is active, or if you've paused to the home menu) and your sleep time should all be counted.

I didn't get any streetpasses, and only used the internet option (added 1-2 villagers per day, maybe 3 on occassion) and finished fixing the town up before finishing the game.

RK9039

I'm new to the 3DS land, how does streetpass work? My guy has been building a shop for over nine hours, I must be really bad at this game.

ed: Oh.

mclem

Thats better. At least you can see your character. I noticed that the Persona Q game shares the cancer of the RPGs from EO but it seems like you can see your character attacking so that is already a progress. But yeah, PS2 is a game from who knows when (its really old)...

It's a stylistic choice. Personally, I don't want to *see* my character, I want to *be* my character. But each to their own.

To think that games like EO IV and SMT IV are doing worse in 2012/2013 is really really worrying.

Not worse, just differently.

I recall - ages ago - a discussion about TV gameshows. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and The Weakest Link were both newish. I did recall one guy stating that he didn't like The Weakest Link: Not because of the attitude, not because of the game structure, not because of the difficulty, not because of the elimination style...

...he disliked it because it didn't give away much money.

Your complaints read similarly to that, in my eyes.

It's incredibly easy to Streetpass people these days using the Nintendo Zone relays. Just stand outside a McDonalds and you will probably get 6 passes.

Whether or not a lot of people are playing Bravely Default is another problem.

Might try that out in the morning, only have to walk 2 minutes out of my way to pass a McDonalds :p

I don't know a single person who has a 3DS though, my Mii Plaza is depressingly empty :p

Mistle

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times, but the actual game isn't quest-based like the demo is it?
If so, bad decision to start the demo off like that.. I did the first quest, then after reading the description of the second (another dull item hunt), I saved and quit, haha

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times, but the actual game isn't quest-based like the demo is it?
If so, bad decision to start the demo off like that.. I did the first quest, then after reading the description of the second (another dull item hunt), I saved and quit, haha

Not at all. I found side quests in the demo rather boring. But in the full game, side quests have stories and objectives to complete, different ones than "bring me 5 potions". Also the rewards are great.

ramyeon

Your loss. It's a really, really good demo. But no, the demo mentions at the start that the structure of the full game is different and this is purely demo exclusive content.

Shengar

Huh? All the reviews on page 1 state that the microtransactions are still in there. They also state they're useless and you won't need to use them ever.

Wait what? Bu-but I heard the microtransactio was left out for Europe somehow D:
Didn't matter though, still buy it.
US version in February. It gonna be a bloody month with other handheld games.

Mistle

Not at all. I found side quests in the demo rather boring. But in the full game, side quests have stories and objectives to complete, different ones than "bring me 5 potions". Also the rewards are great.
Sounds much better!

Your loss. It's a really, really good demo. But no, the demo mentions at the start that the structure of the full game is different and this is purely demo exclusive content.
Yeah, I knew the content was unique to the demo. Was just curious if it reflected the actual game's structure. It makes it feel like an endless chain of sidequests (which I'm sure it's not, I hardly played enough haha)

Nintendo Magazine UK:

WHOA.
Get into my veins!
Yeah, this was one of the coolest things I found while tinkering with the demo. It's great the game allows for such tweaking.

Like I said in the BD demo thread, these features are fucking brilliant, every future JRPG should have them. Same goes for Xenoblade's fast travel. Just make playing the game that much more enjoyable.

Anyway, these reviews are goddamn hype-inducing, not long to go now!

Yes, it is brillant. When you lose against a boss and want to get back to buy stuff, you just disable encounters and then you get back to the boss. Same applies for the battle system. Fast animations are the key here.

ramyeon

Yeah, I knew the content was unique to the demo. Was just curious if it reflected the actual game's structure. It makes it feel like an endless chain of sidequests (which I'm sure it's not, I hardly played enough haha)
From memory there's only a couple of item fetch quests in the demo, it's pretty packed with content. There's 5 bosses to take on.

aravuus

Yes, it is brillant. When you lose against a boss and want to get back to buy stuff, you just disable encounters and then you get back to the boss. Same applies for the battle system. Fast animations are the key here.

Also auto-battle that doesn't work like it works in every other JRPG that has it, where the AI either only uses basic attack or spams stupidly overpowered magic against weak foes, but actually repeats what you last did. In addition to farming weak foes, which I assume is usually the main function, with careful enough planning, you can very quickly grind against a bit stronger foes too.

It's incredible.

FryHole

Nintendo Magazine UK:

WHOA.
Get into my veins!

Getting a Final Fantasy N64 tech demo vibe from the first image in that review.

Playing the demo it actually took me a while to realise the benefit of reducing the encounter rate to zero. I limped all the way out of the western dungeon praying I wouldn't have to fight too many enemies, made it back to town by the skin of my teeth and then thought "...oh". I fear intelligent RPG systems are wasted on me.

Soriku

Also auto-battle that doesn't work like it works in every other JRPG that has it, where the AI either only uses basic attack or spams stupidly overpowered magic against weak foes, but actually repeats what you last did. In addition to farming weak foes, which I assume is usually the main function, with careful enough planning, you can very quickly grind against a bit stronger foes too.

It's incredible.

Dat customization.

I love the efforts in making the gameplay as less tedious as possible.

danthefan

Oh ffs. I've been resisting getting a 3DS for a while now (just don't have the time for it) and another awesome RPG appears. This is not fair.

Like I said in the BD demo thread, these features are fucking brilliant, every future JRPG should have them. Same goes for Xenoblade's fast travel. Just make playing the game that much more enjoyable.

Anyway, these reviews are goddamn hype-inducing, not long to go now!

Agreed on the fast travel.
Just another reason why X will be godly.

flowsnake

It's incredible.

I thought it worked that way in all the FF games that have it. Sometimes you have to turn on cursor memory though.

In Canada, so the demo's not out here yet, but I'm not keen on the whole Brave/Default system. It just sounds like you're punished for attacking and you have to slow the pace of battle by defending to recoup lost Brave Points. The presentation seems flawed too; why isn't there a Brave All or Default All option to save time, and why do I have to watch a character attack a monster 4x when it could have been reduced to one, stronger attack to save time? The reviews seem positive though, so I'll give it a try when the demo's out.

And I like Yoshida's art in concept, but I've always hated chibi models. Just an annoyance of mine. The background art is gorgeous, though.

Tripon

In Canada, so the demo's not out here yet, but I'm not keen on the whole Brave/Default system. It just sounds like you're punished for attacking and you have to slow the pace of battle by defending to recoup lost Brave Points. The presentation seems flawed too; why isn't there a Brave All or Default All option to save time, and why do I have to watch a character attack a monster 4x when it could have been reduced to one, stronger attack to save time? The reviews seem positive though, so I'll give it a try when the demo's out.

And I like Yoshida's art in concept, but I've always hated chibi models. Just an annoyance of mine. The background art is gorgeous, though.

I think you can also borrow Brave points from future turns, so you can spend 3 or 4 rounds of Brave points in the first round and do 3-4 rounds of damage in the first turn as well.

Every review hypes me more and more, aside of the optional microtransactions this is perfect.

Thats better. At least you can see your character. I noticed that the Persona Q game shares the cancer of the RPGs from EO but it seems like you can see your character attacking so that is already a progress. But yeah, PS2 is a game from who knows when (its really old)... To think that games like EO IV and SMT IV are doing worse in 2012/2013 is really really worrying.

"doing worse", hahahaha, you're missing out on some of the best JRPG'S of all time for the silliest of reasons.

Edit: And I saw the LR sales thread and saw you're a fan of one of fucking FFXIII, this is too good man, too good.

Lightning Retuns is what I'd call the cancer of RPG's.

zroid

Banned
Oh ffs. I've been resisting getting a 3DS for a while now (just don't have the time for it) and another awesome RPG appears. This is not fair.

No time but you want to play a long ass RPG? Something seems off here. :p

I agree, there just isn't enough time in the world for all the long ass RPGs I want to play, and it isn't fair :(

Daymos

My ps4 is great and all but this is still my #1 most anticipated game. I'm a long time final fantasy fan (since 1990) and this game looks much better than lightning returns and even ff15 to me.

Tnetennba

The difficulty options completely sold me on this. I tend to burn out of RPGs around about the time I need to start grinding, but if that's avoidable then I might even finish the damn thing.

My ps4 is great and all but this is still my #1 most anticipated game. I'm a long time final fantasy fan (since 1990) and this game looks much better than lightning returns and even ff15 to me.

I'm still kind of surprised they didn't slap the FF name on the title in the first place. It looks like the best Final Fantasy that Square have put out in years, but kudos to them for making it a separate thing.

Mistle

Because each Brave move can be different and require a different animation. An "attack all" would be nice, however..
And yeah, I don't like the character models either, but I can put it aside to enjoy an otherwise great looking game

Top Bottom