• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default review thread (Europe version)

LuuKyK

I'm glad to hear that normal is pretty challenging, I'm not asking for brutal difficulty, but I like when a game makes me think during battles.

I don't have problems with anyone voicing their opinion, but damn what's your problem with first person perspective games? I remember when I was a child and saw Earthbound/DQ and thought "da fuck is this", then I grew up and noticed how amazing the first perspective could be, I felt like an idiot when I noticed I had missed out on some of the best oldschool JRPG's out there because of that.

And not liking first person rpgs means you've never played the Mother series? Oh god please say no. Maybe Persona Q will change your mind.

Who/what is mother? Never heard of her.

And I have a brain block with first person games. I will probably never play one. I would rather read the plot in book form than have to torture myself by playing these.

Lusankya

So it seems like the microtransactions don't hinder the game?

Not in the slightest. If you're having trouble just lower the difficulty and/or adjust the encounter rate. Or use one of the Streetpass/Spotpass features to let your friends help. If you're still needing those SP, just leave your 3DS in sleep mode for a while and you get them for free. So yeah, it's really pointless, unless you're literally the worst gamer in the world or incredibly impatient.

Who/what is mother? Never heard of her.

And I have a brain block with first person games. I will probably never play one. I would rather read the plot in book form than have to torture myself by playing these.

Fine, but I still don't get how you can hate a game that just has a perspective shift. It would never deny myself from a good game because of that.

Also Mother 2 is called Earthbound in the west, I'll assume you've at least have heard about it.

The reviews are way better than I expected it would be received considering it plays like an old-school JRPG.

Do you guys think it will be that well received by critics in the west?

We don't have to make every JRPG thread about LuuKyk's dislike for first-person view.

sorry, my bad.

Glass Rebel

The reviews are way better than I expected it would be received considering it plays like an old-school JRPG.

Do you guys think it will be that well received by critics in the west?

I think the God Is a Geek quote is pretty telling. The game seems to be perfect for reviewers who don't like to spend a lot of time on JRPGs. The game just features many tools that let you cut what is perceived by many Western gamers as tedium.

Game will be received very well IMO.

Shengar

So did they localized the "Enhanced Edition", or are we getting the vanilla version?
Europe got the Enhanced Edition, but Minus the microtransaction as I've heard! Euro really get the good stuffs if its really true D:
I don't have problems with anyone voicing their opinion, but damn what's your problem with first person perspective games? I remember when I was a child and saw Earthbound/DQ and thought "da fuck is this", then I grew up and noticed how amazing the first perspective could be, I felt like an idiot when I noticed I had missed out on some of the best oldschool JRPG's out there because of that.

And not liking first person rpgs means you've never played the Mother series? Oh god please say no. Maybe Persona Q will change your mind.

It's not the personal preference. You not liking first-person perspective, that's fine, everyone have their set of preference. It's pointless to convice them to think otherwise when they don't have any intention to changing it from the start. But calling a game boring, make a fun of its name without even buying the game, all because personal preference.

It just the attitude that he thinks personal preference justify that kind of shit talking that turn my head upside-down. I will stop here, my brain nearly melted because of it.

Lusankya

Why does 3ds get all the best software :(
I don't want to use it!
Nintendo, how about an emulator that needs a 3ds connected as an hardware key? Eh? Eh?

Why don't you want to use it? The 3DS is so great, just look at all the good games it has.

Yep it is. Minus the microtransaction as I've heard! Euro really get the good stuffs if its really true D:

Huh? All the reviews on page 1 state that the microtransactions are still in there. They also state they're useless and you won't need to use them ever.

Ragus

Banned
3DS, the console that keeps on giving.

Still have to play through ALBW, 3D World amd Ace Attorney 5, but after those games, this beauty will be mine.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good! My 3DS is ready once I'm tired of Zelda

Gonna get it for Christmas I think, looks awesome. Not played a JRPG for a long time, seems a great time to jump back in

Hope there aren't any playthrough-ruining mistakes that could easily be made by someone with as little RPG experience as me

Bravely Default is really fucking good and my fingers are crossed that it does well.

I'm veeeeeeery curious about a certain point in the game that caused issues for folks here in JP. They said it was getting addressed for FTS, but I find myself wondering in what ways.

Can't wait to find out next week.

Bravely Default is really fucking good and my fingers are crossed that it does well.

I'm veeeeeeery curious about a certain point in the game that caused issues for folks here in JP. They said it was getting addressed for FTS, but I find myself wondering in what ways.

Can't wait to find out next week.

issue? as in it being difficult? (ignore if it's a big spoiler)

FryHole

I would sacrifice the soul of Shit MEHgami Boringsei IV to get this game earlier. Sadly I don't have the power to do that. ;_;

I had to google that. :lol Is it an infamous dungeon in IV or something?

I actually didn't even make it through the process of buying the game since it features the cancer of the RPGs/JRPGs that is the first person perspective in battles. Which automatically turns any game into a shit-tier one. Its one of
my
gaming laws, haven't you heard?

In all future threads related to the game I shall call it Final Fan-toss-y TURDteen starring LOLtning and LuuKyK can't say a damn thing. The "people didn't even play it it's just cool to slate it" argument appears to be off the table, too. Fun times!

On topic - this, LBW and Mario 3D World in the space of a few weeks is ridiculous.

Jb

Man this will make for the perfect winter game. This year has been pretty great from start to finish.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
already preordered, it's good to see it get high scores, consiering that it is a portable jrpg and not a classic franchise or a AAA western production

dc89

Oh shit I forgot this was coming out. Now I have a problem.
Zelda ALBW or Bravely Default. Why, why do the great games and consoles have to launch near Christmas?

No need to answer, I'm just venting.

Schlomo

I wanted to get the Japanese version For the Sequel, but now I'm conflicted about getting the original instead because of microtransactions and re-balancing...

gngf123

If the difficulty is anything like the demo, people who worry about the game being too easy shouldn't be too disappointed.

I'm looking forward to it, and I haven't said that about a Square Enix RPG in years.

KHlover

Banned
I wanted to get the Japanese version For the Sequel, but now I'm conflicted about getting the original instead because of microtransactions and re-balancing...
Microtransactions are completely optional and don't change the gameplay negatively compared to the first version.

Porcile

I hope my GAME gets some copies in. Can't imagine this is going to be a massive seller. At least i wont have to weave through sweaty XB1 and PS4 customers for this release.

Seanspeed

Banned
VERDICT: It’s a brave (geddit?) move on Square-Enix’s part to not stamp Bravely Default with a more popular title, because ironically, Bravely Default is one of the best Final Fantasies in years.

So bought.

Tu101uk

It's out next Friday, right? Hell yes, can't wait 'til ShopTo ships my Collectors Edition...

Loved the demo to bits. Fun battle system, great presentation, useful convenience features and a class system akin to FFV, my favourite 2D FF game.

Definitely my most anticipated game of the year by far, and (along with Pokémon) the main reason why I bought my 3DSXL at the start of the year, even before For The Sequel and its localisation were even announced.

So glad the first few reviews are positive, maybe it'll make SE sit up and take notice?
I doubt it...

Nattan

It is really hard to not get hyped with all these great things you hear about this game. The figure in the CE is the only thing I'm worried about, but that can't ruin the game.

My PS4 and 3DS XL arriving this week. So much goodies and games arriving in such short time period. Can't contain it.

RaikuHebi

Banned
"Bravely Default is one of the best Final Fantasies in years."

"l'ispirazione ai Final Fantasy storici firmati Nobuo Uematsu è piuttosto evidente".

"Titel nicht herum und die eingangs erwähnten Final Fantasy-Fans der alten Tage sollten sich das Spiel auf jeden Fall einmal anschauen."

I like what I hear. Even though I can't speak Italian or German lol.

But the Italian is actually comprehend-able. Inspiration Final Fantasy story format Uematsu evident. Am I on the right track? lol.

It's like I'm playing 9/10-game after 9/10-game on my 3DS, what a amazing little machine

Shaping up to be the PS1/PS2 of handhelds.

mclem

So, here's a question for people familiar with the structure:

I tend to pick up a few portable games to play over Christmas while I'm at my parents'. Another time I generally game is on the commute into work.

Now, since Christmas is coming, I was considering playing this over Christmas if I'm done with EO2 by then - but there's a problem. My parents live in the middle of nowhere - there's very little opportunity to get streetpasses.

I don't exactly drown in streetpasses on the commute, but at least I'll get some.

Conversely, though, playing on the commute is playing in 20-30 minute chunks, while at my parents I can focus on the game for a couple of hours at a time

Will I get a better experience if I don't start the game until the point where I'm getting streetpasses more frequently, or should I dive in straight away? It's not whether I get the game - that's absolutely set in stone - just in which environment will I get the better play experience?

Mistle

wow, for some reason i thought this game was supposed to be no good. i guess i got it confused!

im excited now. shame about the character design, as the backgrounds look really nice

Krelian91

But the Italian is actually comprehend-able. Inspiration Final Fantasy story format Uematsu evident. Am I on the right track? lol.

The inspiration from the historical Final Fantasy games branded Nobuo Uematsu is pretty evident.

Basically, the ost gives Uematsu vibes. Which is awesome.

As a Euro that has to suffer from every European release date and astronomical pricing, I say to every NA gaffer complaining: shut the fuck up. :)

This, a thousand times

Top Bottom