• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5 interim thread - the series concludes Summer 2013 on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frost_Ace

That flower is massively popular in home gardens.
Yep. From wikipedia:

Convallaria majalis is a popular garden plant, grown for its scented flowers and for its ground-covering abilities in shady locations. It has gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.[10] In favourable conditions it can form large colonies.

My aunt had one a few years ago in her garden IIRC.

Nameless

I had forgotten about the Scarface scene from S5. "Everyone dies in this movie." Coincidence that the entire White family is present?

The stuff with Gus' past actually got me thinking of a Training Day or Scarface style ending for Breaking Bad where the 'lovable' villain
is just about to succeed and reign supreme as the baddest of bad guys when some other previously wronged force, more vicious, more ruthless, swoops in and desyroys them.

There was a reason the Mexican fucking Cartel were afraid to kill Gus. He had to be connected to some bonafide Chilean killers incapable of giving a shred of fuck and Walt blew him up in a nursing home. Just sayin. Hell, at the end of last season when Hank was on the shitter I was waiting for the machine gun fire to erupt in the backyard.

In one of the very first episodes, Walter blows up a car by putting some sponge on the engine or some shit.

Pretty much tells you how ,,believable'' this show ever wanted to be, lol

I had forgotten about the Scarface scene from S5. "Everyone dies in this movie." Coincidence that the entire White family is present?

The stuff with Gus' past actually got me thinking of a Training Day or Scarface style ending for Breaking Bad where the 'lovable' villain
is just about to succeed and reign supreme as the baddest of bad guys when some other previously wronged force, more vicious, more ruthless, swoops in and desyroys them.

There was a reason the Mexican fucking Cartel were afraid to kill Gus. He had to be connected to some bonafide Chilean killers incapable of giving a shred of fuck and Walt blew him up in a nursing home. Just sayin. Hell, at the end of last season when Hank was on the shitter I was waiting for the machine gun fire to erupt in the backyard.

I've always speculated that Gus was related to some kind of high-ranking Chilean government official (possibly a general), and that Don Eladio avoided killing him so he wouldn't incur the wrath of the Chilean government. But the show has been pretty good about not revealing too much of Gus' past, so I doubt they'd have Walt be killed by someone related to Gus.

I subscribe to the idea that the freshest hell is the one you have to live through, and not the one in a possible afterlife. It's always more devastating to watch a character look around at the total desolation of their life and know they're pretty much STUCK with it, than to watch them get shot or hit with a car or whatever.

I honestly believe the worst case for Walt would absolutely be living/winning, only to have absolutely nothing to show for it, and no one to share it with, and no means to escape himself.

Dai101

Banned
In one of the very first episodes, Walter blows up a car by putting some sponge on the engine or some shit.

Pretty much tells you how ,,believable'' this show ever wanted to be, lol

It wasn't a sponge, it was a squeegee:

up7KfnM.jpg

He shorted the battery with the metal part, shorted or failing batteries can cause a mess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_TnsHu2u4c

Haha true. Speaking of which when is that mythbusters episode airing?

It already aired in some places (Australia) i already watched it ;-) . It will air the 11 of this month in USA

jonezer4

I'm about 90% sure that the podcast about that episode revealed Cranston ad-libbed that line. If that's the case, I wouldn't give it too much weight as some kind of conscious foreshadowing.

Omega

Banned
No, it wasn't a dumb weak argument. It's a correct one. People who HATE Skyler tend to hate her for reasons directly related to the fact she's a woman, a woman who doesn't let Walt do what he wants to do.

It's not "exaggerated," it gets brought up in multiple interviews, at panels - it's not a "manufactured" thing. It's an actual thing. It didn't pick up in response to people noticing many of the complaints were misogynist in nature. If it picked up, (and I don't think it did), it picked up because more people have watched the show, and with the increase in audience, there's bound to be an increase in shitty people making shitty arguments about it online.

When the creator himself says he believes Skyler "hate" is probably, more often than not, misogynistic in nature, it's not a "manufactured" thing.

this is hilarious

Sorry, she's just a shit character played by a mediocre actress. Call it misogyny if it helps you sleep at night, but it's not

On the flip side, I love every female character in Mad Men. Even Betty who is even more annoying/bitchier than Skyler

Amagon

My mind blew when watching Ace Ventura: Pet Detective last night and Tio Salamanca was in the movie. Holy shit, this man doesn't age at all.

Fifty-One is one of the freakiest episodes ever. I hate watching Walt chase Skyler around the room telling her that she'll never win. It's horrifying. Walt's a fucking monster.

And Anna Gunn is a fine actress.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm rewatching the series with my mom and sister (who are watching it for the first time). I wish I could experience BB for the first time again.We're halfway through season 2 and they are totally team-Walt. Even feeling sorry for him at times.

It will be glorious when they see him progressively become the fucking terror that he is in Season 5. What a fucking menace.

lol my sister was team-jesse and team skyler from the beginning. and once skyler's scenes got really annoying to sit through just team-jesse.

walt really is a prick from the beginning. he's so fun to watch though. but yeah i don't feel as if there's anything redeemable about him.

those hilariously drawn comics are quite accurate too.

nah. Walt has to lose for me.

Tony Soprano was an asshole who had done terrible things as well but there were still many great scenes in the final season. Quite a few that brought about sympathy for him.

Walt became cartoonishly evil in season 5. It was like a "fuck the world" switch just came on right at the end of season 4. It's a fun season for sure but it's like the writers want us to all hate him now, no questions asked.

this is hilarious

Sorry, she's just a shit character played by a mediocre actress. Call it misogyny if it helps you sleep at night, but it's not

On the flip side, I love every female character in Mad Men. Even Betty who is even more annoying/bitchier than Skyler

Then you're obviously not the people I'm talking about. But your not being "that guy" doesn't mean "those guys" don't make up the majority of the people holding that opinion. It just means you're one of the discerning exceptions. which is cool.

But I don't understand why you'd want to argue for removing that wall between you and "those guys", thus possibly getting your take confused with theirs. If anything I'd think you'd want to acknowledge that a ton of Skyler "haters" are just being pissy little boys about it, but your reason for hating her has more to do with the portrayal of her character and the skill of the actress.

But endeavoring to argue against the reality that large swaths of Skyler "haters" are completely misogynistic about it doesn't make any sense.

My mind blew when watching Ace Ventura: Pet Detective last night and Tio Salamanca was in the movie. Holy shit, this man doesn't age at all.

"VENTUURRAAAAA...."
"Yes Satan? Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were someone else."

Jimothy

lol my sister was team-jesse and team skyler from the beginning. and once skyler's scenes got really annoying to sit through just team-jesse.

walt really is a prick from the beginning. he's so fun to watch though. but yeah i don't feel as if there's anything redeemable about him.

those hilariously drawn comics are quite accurate too.
Seriously. Walt has been a childish asshole from the very beginning. I have to laugh at people who root for him with no sense of irony.

Seriously. Walt has been a childish asshole from the very beginning. I have to laugh at people who root for him with no sense of irony.

haha childish for sure. and don't get me started on that heisenberg outfit. is it supposed to be comedic when he wears that?

because the dude clearly thinks it's badass but it's a goofy ass hat and glasses. it feels like social commentary on nerds who think fedoras make everything look cool.

I still think Mike's progression from quiet muscle to one of the most three-dimensional characters on the show is one of the most impressive things Gilligan's done with this show.

yeah he started off as a generic cowboy cop but they gave him some depth after the shooting and el paso

edit: oh my bad, i read that as hank. mike is pretty great too. sympathized with him so much. he had to practice every ounce of restraint he had in him not to shoot walt in the head whenever the moron spoke. shame about his money not making it to his granddaughter

EBCubs03

Banned
haha childish for sure. and don't get me started on that heisenberg outfit. is it supposed to be comedic when he wears that?

because the dude clearly thinks it's badass but it's a goofy ass hat and glasses. it feels like social commentary on nerds who think fedoras make everything look cool.

In crime drama it's somehow supposed to indicate a transformation to an immoral or powerful person.

In the simpsons prohibition episode Homer gets a new hat

"Look at me Rex Banner, I have a new hat!"

171Homervsthe18thAmendment.jpg

Hank's another great example. I think I just like Mike's character a little bit more.

Hank was great because he was pretty quickly shown to have a really good mind for his job, but watching him go through the PTSD was what really opened him up as a character.

Jimothy

I was honestly just about to mention his Heisenberg get up. He looks especially stupid walking into the cafe to meet Lydia in the latest season. I definitely think it's done tongue and cheek though. The fedora and oversized sunglasses are exactly what an underachieving chemistry nerd would think looks badass, but to normal people he just looks fucking dopey. It's funny how the look has become iconic to fans of the show, again with no sense of irony. Just goes to show most people take media at face value and completely ignore the subtext.

Mononoke

Banned
the s4 ending still rubs me wrong

Walt just happens to have a highly toxic plant in his backyard

as fun as this show is it relies so much on coincidence

top page fuck I've had a few

Meh, as someone already said the plant is actually pretty common in that region/ for backyards.

I had a bigger issue with Season 5's (Part 1's) ending, and how they handled the Hazard Pay plot.

kingocfs

nah. Walt has to lose for me.

Tony Soprano was an asshole who had done terrible things as well but there were still many great scenes in the final season. Quite a few that brought about sympathy for him.

Walt became cartoonishly evil in season 5. It was like a "fuck the world" switch just came on right at the end of season 4. It's a fun season for sure but it's like the writers want us to all hate him now, no questions asked.

That is definitely my biggest gripe with S5, his character loses that liminal quality that made S4 the absolute best. I'm not sure you could really do it any differently, though. At some point he has to turn the corner completely.

Wilbur

Banned
I wasn't Jesse until Jane's death. After that... I'm rewatching now, when he's telling Walt that he has nothing left ever since he met the great Heisenberg in the hospital bed, its gut-wrenching.

Walt's my favourite character - so incredibly fascinating to watch - but my favourite person? Jesse.

Or Saul.

Or Skinny Pete.

Omega

Banned
Then you're obviously not the people I'm talking about. But your not being "that guy" doesn't mean "those guys" don't make up the majority of the people holding that opinion. It just means you're one of the discerning exceptions. which is cool.

But I don't understand why you'd want to argue for removing that wall between you and "those guys", thus possibly getting your take confused with theirs. If anything I'd think you'd want to acknowledge that a ton of Skyler "haters" are just being pissy little boys about it, but your reason for hating her has more to do with the portrayal of her character and the skill of the actress.

But endeavoring to argue against the reality that large swaths of Skyler "haters" are completely misogynistic about it doesn't make any sense.

I'm just saying, I think blaming it on misogyny is just a cop out. I just feel her character has been handled poorly which is why she's not liked.

I could be wrong though. I've avoided BB discussions for the most part because I haven't been fully caught up since S5 just went up on Netflix.

Wilbur

Banned
Disagree with Walt suddenly turning into a cartoon bad guy as well, it's natural. His pride and ego is so fucking gargantuan, he takes out the kingpin of the entire region, can you even imagine the size said pride and ego is going to grow to? The most unrealistic thing in the entire show is Tuco and the exploding building meth shit in season 1; badass as it was, a bomb goes off and blows out all the buildings and Walt's still standing, right next to it? That's cartoon nonsense.

I'm just saying, I think blaming it on misogyny is just a cop out. I just feel her character has been handled poorly which is why she's not liked.

I could be wrong though. I've avoided BB discussions for the most part because I haven't been fully caught up since S5 just went up on Netflix.

Blaming what on misogyny? Misogynist responses to Skyler? That's not a cop-out. That's just basic perception :)

I've never said the only reason people dislike Skyler is because they're misogynists. I'm saying a large contingent of people who dislike Skyler use misogynist reasoning to do so.

Disagree with Walt suddenly turning into a cartoon bad guy as well, it's natural. His pride and ego is so fucking gargantuan, he takes out the kingpin of the entire region, can you even imagine the size said pride and ego is going to grow to? The most unrealistic thing in the entire show is Tuco and the exploding building meth shit in season 1; badass as it was, a bomb goes off and blows out all the buildings and Walt's still standing, right next to it? That's cartoon nonsense.

Yeah, on rewatch, it's definitely one of those things that only happened because they hadn't COMPLETELY dialed in what the show's tone was going to be by then. In season 1, I was like "That was pretty fucking badass." rewatching it a few laters later, I was like "This is kinda ridiculous."

I think the magnet and the train hijacking are examples of how that level of ridiculousness is more organically mixed into the tone of the show.

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah, I feel they built up Walt's descent into depravity pretty methodically, that I didn't feel he was too over the top in Season 5. Although I think there is argument to be made, about how over the top some of the situations were (the huge Magnet at the Police Station. The train robbery). It feels like the writers were trying really hard to take Walt to extreme levels before his downfall. Personally, I wish they would have kept the situations more grounded. But then again, this isn't the first time they have done something over the top (see the earlier seasons).

The kid being killed and Walt being okay with it was all they really needed (and that could have been done with another situation). That to me, was Walt's lowest moment (besides killing Mike. Although I think the botched Mike's death).

Nameless

I've always speculated that Gus was related to some kind of high-ranking Chilean government official (possibly a general), and that Don Eladio avoided killing him so he wouldn't incur the wrath of the Chilean government. But the show has been pretty good about not revealing too much of Gus' past, so I doubt they'd have Walt be killed by someone related to Gus.

This makes a lot of sense, actually. My only thing is they repeatedly highlighted Gus' mysterious past and alluded to their being consequences for killing him for a reason. That they remain so silent on the subject leads me to believe it could impact the home stretch. Killing Gus was a really big deal. Surely it angered more people than Mike.

I'm about 90% sure that the podcast about that episode revealed Cranston ad-libbed that line. If that's the case, I wouldn't give it too much weight as some kind of conscious foreshadowing.

Ahhh. I see. Still, Tony Montana, Jesse James, Ozymandias Well placed red herrings maybe(hopefully), but it's all pointing to the inevitable for Walt, at least.

I'm rewatching the series with my mom and sister (who are watching it for the first time). I wish I could experience BB for the first time again.We're halfway through season 2 and they are totally team-Walt. Even feeling sorry for him at times.

It will be glorious when they see him progressively become the fucking terror that he is in Season 5. What a fucking menace.

Your mom and sister are great people. I hope you'll still love them after they refuse to abandon Team Walt.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
While I am TeamJesse, there is a little TeamHeisenberg in ALL of us.

#TeamHeisenberg

S5 Walt was so incredibly fun to watch. I mean really.

Nameless

I don't even think the train heist was so crazy, especially given a lot of the shit people actually pull off. You'd be surprised what you can do with ton of money and a willing & able crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom