• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5, Part 2 - The Final Eight Episodes - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a far out example. You make a good point about the first 5.5 seasons though. It was a slow, methodical burn, but rarely if ever was it predictable. The last 4 haven't been like that and unfolded at a breakneck pace.

Anyways, I'm nagging on it too much. The final 4 should break some new territory :)

I don't see how the last four episodes were predictable at all. I thought jesse was going to confess in "confessions", but everyone else confessed. I thought Jesse changed his mind about burning down walt's house, but boom--- hank and jesse team up. Sure, we know walt is going to survive (and become a mess), and everyone will figure out he is Heisenberg, but we don't really know much else beyond that. I don't know what has been predictable here. The fact that there are loose plot ends that must be filled in? The general idea of things? We don't know how they will be filled in. That's the mystery.

rekameohs

Banned
That was the reason he got away, but why did Krazy 8 even rat out his own cousin? Also, would he not mention Jesse's name when ratting his cousin and (presumably) Jesse?
I'm guessing that Krazy-8 only told them the address where they were cooking. He was a higher level distributor; one where cooks would provide him with product to sell. He probably snitched out all of his cooks' labs to the DEA. Jesse only escaped because his little escapade with the neighbor lady.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm guessing that Krazy-8 only told them the address where they were cooking. He was a higher level distributor; one where cooks would provide him with product to sell. He probably snitched out all of his cooks' labs to the DEA. Jesse only escaped because his little escapade with the neighbor lady.

That's probably a good explanation - this show really doesn't have any plot holes that I can really think of and this certainly isn't one, it's just something that seemed a tad bit illogical on Krazy 8's part - unless the DEA was paying him or something and Emilio did get out of jail pretty easily (was Saul his lawyer, I wonder?). Anyway, Hank obviously didn't know who "Captain Cook" was although it is kinda strange how Jesse has his own website with Captain Cook mentioned on the web page and the DEA never spotted it.

rekameohs

Banned
I think I do remember Jesse saying that Emilio had Saul as his lawyer when he first suggests hiring him.

I miss beginning of Season 3 Jesse. =(
I feel bad looking back at late Season 4 Jesse. He had a great family then (even if they were playing Sonic 2006. Might want to get that fixed, son)

Those sides of Jesse are never coming back.

AlexBasch

foreshadowing for Jesse becoming Holly's adoptive father in the end after everyone else is dead
No, Holly was actually the mastermind all along. Now they can live peacefully in Belize to expand the Heisenberg empire.

*Holly grabs the black hat, tries it on, smirks.

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
VINCE GILLIGAN.

Saul set up with with laundering his money through a nail saloon, no?

They never really explained whether or not he actually bought that nail salon. Saul suggested it to him and explained the process, but Jesse being a stupid idiot like always didn't think he needed to do that.

braves01

Banned
I've got a question from a couple seasons ago.

When the Mexican don killed Gus' original pollo Hermano partner in that flashback, the don told Gus the only reason he wasn't dead is because "I know who you are." What exactly did that mean? Did Gus have other connections, or was it just the don acknowledging Gus' business acumen was worth keeping him around as a partner?

sappyday

I've got a question from a couple seasons ago.

When the Mexican don killed Gus' original pollo Hermano partner in that flashback, the don told Gus the only reason he wasn't dead is because "I know who you are." What exactly did that mean? Did Gus have other connections, or was it just the don acknowledging Gus' business acumen was worth keeping him around as a partner?

It was never explained but you can assume that he was somehow involved with the Pinochet's regime.

Agreed. These last 4 ep feels like a wrap up fan service kind of thing. I predicted as much before the season began too :(

Wow you predicted he'd find out about Brock, big deal. How does that make the show predictable?

Here, give us your SPECIFIC predictions for the rest of the show. Then you can start calling the end predictable if you get them right haha.

They never really explained whether or not he actually bought that nail salon. Saul suggested it to him and explained the process, but Jesse being a stupid idiot like always didn't think he needed to do that.

My interpretation was that he did, although you're obviously right that they never explicitly state that he did.

rekameohs

Banned
I think it's safe to assume that Jesse is not using the nail salon to launder his money since later, Saul suggests using that as Walt and Skyler's front in Open House. I was thinking that he never did any sort of laundering since he didn't really care.

EBCubs03

Banned
Predictability and conventionality is not a bad thing for most narratives. Actually, it means you're doing a few things right. It means you've built up a universe with a logic and system of rules that determine a story's future based on the events of its past. There are only so many possibilities in the limited range of any given characters' choices that won't warp the creator's ultimate vision. All the pieces matter. Look at it like a jigsaw puzzle. Once you've got 95% of the pieces in place, it's pretty obvious what shapes the final few are going to be.

Breaking Bad doesn't fall in the realm of fantasy or sci-fi or other heavily stylized genres. Despite seeming a bit surreal at times, the world of Breaking Bad is based almost entirely on our own world. And in just about any modern society, there's only a handful of possible endings for a story like Walt's, for the stories of everyone he's corrupted. Anyone with a few years of experience living in modern society could put together a rough outline of Walt's inevitable downfall and the disintegration of his drug empire. Sure, the fine details still require creative input and need to be imagined to a greater degree in order to be written, but I'm sure a lot of those have yet to be revealed, that they will flavor the remaining four episodes, and that they will shatter any perception of Breaking Bad succumbing to cliche during its final chapter.

I get a little irritated when predictability is associated with bad storytelling. That might not have been anyone's intent here, so I'm sorry if I'm just ranting for no real reason. Suspense is not necessarily a result of not knowing what will happen. It can just as easily result from knowing what will happen, too. When you identify with or care about or have any reaction whatsoever to a character in a story, suspense emerges as a dissonance between what you think that character might deserve or want and what few possible logical outcomes actually remain. It's probably a different kind of a suspense, or maybe it's not suspense at all, since it seems like a silly argument to make about the feelings a viewer might experience in response to a work of drama. I guess point I'm trying to make is that a drama doesn't require the narration to conceal information from the audience or resort to bizarre plot twists or hide future events behind unforeseeable chaos in order to inspire feelings of suspense.

My interpretation was that he did, although you're obviously right that they never explicitly state that he did.

I was thinking because Mike was chastising him for getting his money stolen from his apartment when he was having constant parties. He just had it laying around. Did that come before or after Saul said buy the nail salon? Can't quite remember.

Alpende

Shit, I can't watch this episode and next week's episode until the 23rd or something. That royally blows. Now I'll have to avoid this thread and any other BB related stuff on the internet for 2 weeks.

maharg

idspispopd
Predictability and conventionality is not a bad thing for most narratives. Actually, it means you're doing a few things right. It means you've built up a universe with a logic and system of rules that determine a story's future based on the events of its past. There are only so many possibilities in the limited range of any given characters' choices that won't warp the creator's ultimate vision. All the pieces matter. Look at it like a jigsaw puzzle. Once you've got 95% of the pieces in place, it's pretty obvious what shapes the final few are going to be.

Breaking Bad doesn't fall in the realm of fantasy or sci-fi or other heavily stylized genres. Despite seeming a bit surreal at times, the world of Breaking Bad is based almost entirely on our own world. And in just about any modern society, there's only a handful of possible endings for a story like Walt's, for the stories of everyone he's corrupted. Anyone with a few years of experience living in modern society could put together a rough outline of Walt's inevitable downfall and the disintegration of his drug empire. Sure, the fine details still require creative input and need to be imagined to a greater degree in order to be written, but I'm sure a lot of those have yet to be revealed, that they will flavor the remaining four episodes, and that they will shatter any perception of Breaking Bad succumbing to cliche during its final chapter.

I get a little irritated when predictability is associated with bad storytelling. That might not have been anyone's intent here, so I'm sorry if I'm just ranting for no real reason. Suspense is not necessarily a result of not knowing what will happen. It can just as easily result from knowing what will happen, too. When you identify with or care about or have any reaction whatsoever to a character in a story, suspense emerges as a dissonance between what you think that character might deserve or want and what few possible logical outcomes actually remain. It's probably a different kind of a suspense, or maybe it's not suspense at all, since it seems like a silly argument to make about the feelings a viewer might experience in response to a work of drama. I guess point I'm trying to make is that a drama doesn't require the narration to conceal information from the audience or resort to bizarre plot twists or hide future events behind unforeseeable chaos in order to inspire feelings of suspense.

So much this.

Other than that I lean more towards Breaking Bad being 'heavily stylized' in spite of a surface appearance of normality. But that doesn't really change anything about your central argument, as I think all of what you say applies to any genre.

Watching Grey Matter right now...really embarrassing for Walt :/

How the hell did he end up teaching High School?

Edit: As prideful as I am...Walt...you should've taken that job...

kehs

Banned
huh, interesting, looks like they put the extended pilot up on netflix now instead of the lame edited one.

dat tire shining humiliation. =*(

Shags

Banned
Walter Jr. would be too predictable. Holly is the one who should worry.

tumblr_mhki08pkop1r7mahmo1_500.jpg

vpance

Wow you predicted he'd find out about Brock, big deal. How does that make the show predictable?

Here, give us your SPECIFIC predictions for the rest of the show. Then you can start calling the end predictable if you get them right haha.

I'll check in again when Walt Jr finds out and Todd kills someone or gets killed. And I guessed the Jesse wearing a wire thing as well but 1 ep too early, lol.

But seriously I'm not trying to boast or anything. I'm just disappointed they took it in the most obvious direction which most were expecting, as almost everyone was calling for a Brock truth reveal. It's the getting payback arc of BB. Let's see if the rest falls into line.

There are only so many possibilities in the limited range of any given characters' choices that won't warp the creator's ultimate vision. All the pieces matter. Look at it like a jigsaw puzzle. Once you've got 95% of the pieces in place, it's pretty obvious what shapes the final few are going to be.

Right, it was the writers choice to have it lead up to this final, secrets blown wide open event, because that's the story they want to tell. I'm just saying I'd prefer they'd gone and done it differently, or in another direction completely.

I guess point I'm trying to make is that a drama doesn't require the narration to conceal information from the audience or resort to bizarre plot twists or hide future events behind unforeseeable chaos in order to inspire feelings of suspense.

The first 5.5 season's worth of episodes were great, you couldn't foresee the big plot points. There were definitely a few twists, and teases with the cold open stuff though.

Anyways, there's absolutely no right or wrong way to end the series. It's their vision. Personal preference is a different matter.

arab

i had a weird ass dream that involved jesse killing hank and gomez in a lowes using a chainsaw gun. i got really drunk last night

Anustart

Predictions for this episode:

Walt and the gang trips on peyote they find on an indian reservation and have visions of an alternate timeline where Walt decided to cook pies instead of meth.

Mumford

We'll hit the 20k limit sometime soon, and I think it's a better idea to switch threads right before a new episode rather than sometime when we're in the middle of discussing the new episode.
Alright, cool man. I'll keep my eyes peeled. It's crazy how far Br Ba has come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom