• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5, Part 2 - The Final Eight Episodes - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Just watched Crawl Space

fuck

FUCK FUCK

that ending

its literally cumworthy

i just want to spread ejaculate all over huell's head

That entire ending sequence gave me chills. My mind blew so hard I literally became dizzy while watching.

Banner moment for Team Walt. A sociopath doesn't show that much emotion.

Wilbur

Banned
That entire ending sequence gave me chills. My mind blew so hard I literally became dizzy while watching. A sociopath doesn't show that much emotion.

Isn't that the year Cranston didn't win the Emmy as well? I was just saying in another thread - FootyGAF, my home - that on a rewatch, obviously so much tension is sucked out of the thing and you can just enjoy it for what it is, but there's a few exceptions. Hank vs the twins is one, the train heist is another, but fuck... Crawl Space ending just gives me chills every fucking time.

MormaPope

Banned
I don't even know what "Walt winning" means. We all saw the same flash forward at the beginning of season 5 right? There are fates worse than death, Walt living and dying alone with almost nothing but regret isn't a victory, Walt outliving everyone isn't a victory, dude is damned.

Why does it matter if he "wins" or loses? The journey is what matters, Walt's journey is twisted and vile.

Where is this gif from?

i2Y7PtVl1vaK4.gif

Don't know why I'm posting this in here but per Cornball:

What is with you people resorting to insults and personal attacks for having an opinion about a character on a TV show? I don't like Skyler because she's the least interesting and least entertaining part of the show. I find her segments boring and a chore to watch. For me, she doesn't really add anything compelling at least in comparison to every other character on the show. How that makes me a misogynist or my opinion "bullshit" is truly beyond me. You know these people aren't real and this is fictional tv right? Don't get me wrong, I get invested in shows as well but there seems to be a lot of hatred and elitism when it comes to "Skyler supporters" for lack of a better term. I don't see how not liking Skyler is so unreasonable to the point you have to insult someone or question their intelligence. Im not saying my opinion can't be questioned and I don't have a sense of entitlement. It's the "Holier than thou" elitism crap that simply attacks someones opinion rather than constructively debate it. It's really unnecessary behavior IMO.

A couple recent articles/vids that might have gotten lost in the move over to the new thread:

- Matt Zoller Seitz for NY Mag: Revisiting Breaking Bad Season 3: A Shift Into Nightmare Grotesque
- Linda Holmes @ NPR: Death And Walter White
- Warming Glow: ‘Breaking Bad’ Character Study: Hank Schrader’s Undeniable Importance
- 'Breaking Bad' From Below (Supercut of shots from below, youtube)
- Warming Glow: Breaking Bad Season 2 - A GIF retrospective
- Onion A|V Club: For Our Consideration Series - What’s the right way to watch Breaking Bad?

Also, new trailer from earlier today (no new footage) "Say My Name" Promo.

Amir0x

Banned
I really do feel like this will be the best possible ending for the show.

I don't care if Walt is the "bad guy" or not. Let him win.

haha oh gosh

is it even possible to more dramatically miss the whole point of this show? "Let him win, that's the best possible ending." Like fucking hell it is lol

this season is about the fall of empires. Walt is done. Sit by and watch, quote this post for posterity. And not only is Walt done, but that's exactly the way the writing, themes and overall tone of the show has been heading since day one. So naturally, since the showrunners have shown they do generally understand their characters and their story, they're doing what must be done. >:)

MormaPope

Banned

What is with you people resorting to insults and personal attacks for having an opinion about a character on a TV show? I don't like Skyler because she's the least interesting and least entertaining part of the show. I find her segments boring and a chore to watch. For me, she doesn't really add anything compelling at least in comparison to every other character on the show. How that makes me a misogynist or my opinion "bullshit" is truly beyond me. You know these people aren't real and this is fictional tv right? Don't get me wrong, I get invested in shows as well but there seems to be a lot of hatred and elitism when it comes to "Skyler supporters" for lack of a better term. I don't see how not liking Skyler is so unreasonable to the point you have to insult someone or question their intelligence. Im not saying my opinion can't be questioned and I don't have a sense of entitlement. It's the "Holier than thou" elitism crap that simply attacks someones opinion rather than constructively debate it. It's really unnecessary behavior IMO.

Since this was directed at me in the other thread, I'll respond to it.

Here's the post I responded to:

Skyler is by far the worst part of this great show and anyone calling people misogynist for having that opinion needs to take several seats. Get a grip.

Here's what I said:

Getting offended for people calling out bad opinions is complete bullshit. Most cases for Skyler being called the worst part of Breaking Bad are simplistic preferences at best, emotionally and mentally blind observations at worst.

"I want to have an opinion and not have it be questioned" is entitlement. Sorry.

First off, where did I post personal attacks. Second, where did I say specific opinions were bullshit. Bad opinions do exist, they usually don't have merit or are presented poorly. I posted not being able to take criticism for having a certain opinion, but still wanting to present that opinion is bullshit.

MormaPope

Banned
Man, Tuco was such a great villian...

but is Tuco > Gus?

Tuco was the perfect first villain or antagonist, because Walter and Jesse assumed that would be the most dangerous person they would ever meet and work with.

And then there was Gus.

so most opinions for disliking skyler are bad opinions?

If the opinion is Skyler is a villain and holding the show back, I'd argue that's a bad opinion. Most arguments for Skyler being a terrible and boring character don't expand past those assertions, I don't know if people want Walt to have Tuco as his wife or Marie.

rekameohs

Banned
I don't like Skyler because she's the least interesting and least entertaining part of the show. I find her segments boring and a chore to watch.

Suit yourself.

In my opinion, "I am the one who knocks", Crawl Space, and the big confrontation at the end of Fifty-One are some of the greatest moments in the series, and they would not be nearly as fantastic without Skyler.

Bigfoot

I see it didn't take long for the Skyler debate to make it in to his thread. Why can't we just let people have their opinions?

If someone in this thread says they hate Skylar, calls her a bitch, or says she is boring and played by a bad actor, there is no need to start personal attacks directed at that poster. They have a right to that opinion. Same goes for someone that calls Gunn a good actress or says Skyler is their favorite character.

If you don't respond to someone that mentions Skylar in a post, maybe this debate will end too...

Nameless

It's unavoidable. I:

-admitted Sky was a loving wife and mother
-called her a great character even if I dislike her much of the series
-highlighted how my problems would apply just the same if Walt had a gay life partner(Bruce)
-used Marie to further contrast her faults with a character who doesn't exhibit them.
-said she was justified in how she felt, but has a tendency to handle things childishly
-showed how she did bust Walt's balls and talk down to him needlessly.

Still called a misogynist.

ari

Banned
I like skylar, she's the most realistic character on the show. All of her emotions and reasoning fall in line with a wife watching her husband crashing and burning.

"oh, you cook meth? i'm okay with that along you don't bring that shit back to the family. I even launder the money because you're paying off cancer treatment and helping out hank"

"wait what? you killed a meth drug lord? Fuck that shit, I'm scared for my life and fear for the children"

perfectly understandable.

MormaPope

Banned
I see it didn't take long for the Skyler debate to make it in to his thread. Why can't we just let people have their opinions?

If someone in this thread says they hate Skylar, calls her a bitch, or says she is boring and played by a bad actor, there is no need to start personal attacks directed at that poster. They have a right to that opinion. Same goes for someone that calls Gunn a good actress or says Skyler is their favorite character.

If you don't respond to someone that mentions Skylar in a post, maybe this debate will end too...

That wasn't the point of my post. Thinking assertions or opinions should go unchallenged because opinions are just opinions is entitlement during discourse.

MormaPope

Banned
It's unavoidable. I:

-admitted Sky was a loving wife and mother
-called her a great character even if I dislike her much of the series
-highlighted how my problems would apply just the same if Walt had a gay life partner(Bruce)
-used Marie to further contrast her faults with a character who doesn't exhibit them.
-said she was justified in how she felt, but has a tendency to handle things childishly
-showed how she did bust Walt's balls and talk down to him needlessly.

Still called a misogynist.

Then the person calling you that is wrong. I'm not advocating name calling, especially if there's an argument in play.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Walter White is the coolest most badass masculine man in television history. He's such a cool guy. I can see so much of myself in him, especially when he's putting his awful wife back in her place and when he's selflessly and successfully providing for his ungrateful family. I hope Skyler dies after giving birth to Ted's ugly baby and then Walt rides off into the sunset with some hot chicks on his arm. I hope Walt doesn't die. Jesse can come too if he apologizes to Walt for his past behavior.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Crawl Space = #TeamWalt or get out.

#TeamJesse is an acceptable alternative, as is #TeamMike. For casualties left over from #TeamMike, #TeamWalt/Jesse is accepting you into the fold.

If you don't like Skyler then she's doing a good job acting.

Nope. I disagree. The actor that Joffrey plays in GOT accomplishes this but Skylers actress isn't very good IMO. But that's neither here nor there. Aside from her character not being very interesting, she does nothing but contradict the "moral compass" she throws in the viewers face from the beginning. She controlling and extremely judgemental. She does several things that, for me, are worst than what Walt does pre-child poisoning.

Smokes while pregnant, WTF. You may be angry with your husband but you resort to smoking while pregnant when you already have a disabled kid? That really annoyed me because if felt so childish and juvenile and more importantly, hurt the baby potentially.

She cheats on Walt. Another childish act that ultimately backfires. But aside from that, the cheating in general and the way she rubbed in Walts face was disgusting. And yes if it were Walt I would have felt the same way. Cheating to me is one of the worst things you can do to your significant other who loves you.

She has this false air of righteousness about herself when she ultimately is a criminal as well. She makes Marie feel like crap for stealing, makes Walt feel like crap for lying and cooking, but after Walt tells her the truth she not only cheats on him but helps Ted commit felony tax evasion without a second thought.

For me, her character is no better than Walt and I feel awful for Walter Jr. and Holly because their parents are both assholes. If you think this opinion makes me a misogynist then screw you.

TeamHank btw.

The point of no return for Walter

Just finished the first series in my rewatch. It's Gretchen's and Elliot's party. You can see that angry, petty "pride and ego" come out. That's my call anyway. That's when he could turn away, honestly. And didn't. For no other reason than "fuck that guy who's banging my ex". I love this series. On a rewatch Hank's better qualities come out so much clearer, as do Skyler's avoidance issues.

MormaPope

Banned
Walter White is the coolest most badass masculine man in television history. He's such a cool guy. I can see so much of myself in him, especially when he's putting his awful wife back in her place and when he's selflessly and successfully providing for his ungrateful family. I hope Skyler dies after giving birth to Ted's ugly baby and then Walt rides off into the sunset with some hot chicks on his arm. I hope Walt doesn't die. Jesse can come too if he apologizes to Walt for his past behavior.

I'll set up a Walter White statue and say this post in prayer every night. There must be balls, Walter must win, Ted must be unfucked, Skyler needs to suffer.

Jimothy

You flew too close to the sun on this one.

MormaPope

Banned
Just finished the first series in my rewatch. It's Gretchen's and Elliot's party. You can see that angry, petty "pride and ego" come out. That's my call anyway. That's when he could turn away, honestly. And didn't. For no other reason than "fuck that guy who's banging my ex". I love this series. On a rewatch Hank's better qualities come out so much clearer, as do Skyler's avoidance issues.

Hank is more sensitive than Walter in a lot of ways, Walter can build bombs and bring them into crowded places, Hank was messed from Tuco and the tortoise bombing for life. Walter and Hank are both obsessive, they both take their work and how well they work seriously.

Hank is the man Walter always wanted to be, while Walter is a man Hank could never be.

Nameless

Then the person calling you that is wrong. I'm not advocating name calling, especially if there's an argument in play.

No skin off my ass. Cornballer nailed in OP... It really does say a lot about Breaking Bad and its characters that you're judged as a human based off who you align with.

Aside from her character not being very interesting, she does nothing but contradict the "moral compass" she throws in the viewers face from the beginning. She controlling and extremely judgemental. She does several things that, for me, are worst than what Walt does pre-child poisoning.

Smokes while pregnant, WTF. You may be angry with your husband but you resort to smoking while pregnant when you already have a disabled kid? That really annoyed me because if felt so childish and juvenile and more importantly, hurt the baby potentially.

She cheats on Walt. Another childish act that ultimately backfires. But aside from that, the cheating in general and the way she rubbed in Walts face was disgusting. And yes if it were Walt I would have felt the same way. Cheating to me is one of the worst things you can do to your significant other who loves you.

She has this false air of righteousness about herself when she ultimately is a criminal as well. She makes Marie feel like crap for stealing, makes Walt feel like crap for lying and cooking, but after Walt tells her the truth she not only cheats on him but helps Ted commit felony tax evasion without a second thought.

I agree with this. I think that "I fucked Ted" was the moment where I was pretty done with Skyler as a character. You summed up my problems with her better than I could have.

MormaPope

Banned
I agree with this. I think that "I fucked Ted" was the moment where I was pretty done with Skyler as a character. You summed up my problems with her better than I could have.

And whose behavior and lifestyle changes effected and caused Skyler to change since the beginning of the show?

Must've been Walter Jr., him asking for Raisin Bran Crunch and real bacon sent her spiraling into Ted's genitals. Wasn't Walter being completely dishonest, detached, not himself, disappearing, reappearing.

And whose behavior and lifestyle changes effected and caused Skyler to change since the beginning of the show?

Must've been Walter Jr., him asking for Raisin Bran Crunch and real bacon sent her spiraling into Ted's genitals. Wasn't Walter being completely dishonest, detached, not himself, disappearing, reappearing.

I don't think the answer to marital problems is having an affair and rubbing my SO's nose in it, sorry.

I'm not excusing Walt's behavior, but that doesn't justify Skyler's either.

Bigfoot

That wasn't the point of my post. Thinking assertions or opinions should go unchallenged because opinions are just opinions is entitlement during discourse.
I don't think that way in general, but this Skyler debate has been done to death with both sides just spitting out garbage. I just suggested it be ignored in this thread so we can discuss other things.

Game-Biz

haha oh gosh

is it even possible to more dramatically miss the whole point of this show? "Let him win, that's the best possible ending." Like fucking hell it is lol

this season is about the fall of empires. Walt is done. Sit by and watch, quote this post for posterity. And not only is Walt done, but that's exactly the way the writing, themes and overall tone of the show has been heading since day one. So naturally, since the showrunners have shown they do generally understand their characters and their story, they're doing what must be done. >:)

Well, the show is mainly about change. How someone can change so drastically from one person to another. Whether Walt dies or if he "wins" doesn't matter. It's that he decided to change who he was by making a series of choices that affected his life and lives of others; showing that the ego can push ordinarily nice people into incredibly selfish, horrible human beings. Also the ending of season 4 was considered as a possible ending for the entire series (citation needed here - but I think I heard Vince say this in an interview because he wasn't sure the show would be picked up for another season), so the writers aren't afraid of giving Walt a happy ending.

Having said that, and thinking about it now, I agree with you that the tone and theme of the show, especially the 1st half of season 5, implays that Walt as someone who must die because of his bitter, incredibly inflated ego which will be his downfall. I think he wants to die, in a way, but only as long as he dies while he's on top. So I was trying to refute you, but I ended up agreeing with you:p

stktt

Banned
I don't think the answer to marital problems is having an affair and rubbing my SO's nose in it, sorry.

I'm not excusing Walt's behavior, but that doesn't justify Skyler's either.

I wouldn't consider Skyler's relationship with Ted an affair. By that point, Skyler had already asked Walt for a divorce, demanded he leave the house, and only began to have a relationship with Ted after Walt broke in to their house and refused to leave. It was one of the few areas where Skyler could hold a position of power over Walt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom