• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING NEWS: 8.8-magnitude quake hits near Concepcion, Chile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

regarding my previous "looting people" post... well, they showed a guy trying to steal a fucking ATM from a supermarket... :rolleyes:

Shanoa

Banned
gunther said:
wow, I havent seeing those images. Sorry about your house, really.
Anyway what i was saying was that the tv is amplifing everithing and that when someone say tsunami really bad.

I understand what the guy says and believe me, it's something common in Chile, the TV networks lie about what happened and it's usual to see people crying after a mess. The ratings situation here is a roman coliseum battle and the networks doesn't care about the people, they care about sponsors and about what company offers the most bucks in advertisment.

Guys, seriously, Chile is one of the few countries in this world on where you can see a millionaire guy throwing bucks in the air because he's an egomaniac. (Leonardo Farkas)

v4gr4nt

33928701.JPG

33928986.JPG

33929751.JPG

ronito

Thaedolus said:
Dude can you blame them? It's not like earthquakes happen every day! Or have been happening since the Earth was formed!

Oh, I've already had a back-and-forth about this with my crazy aunt up in Cache Valley. It's more fun when they're your family members.
Have her read this:
apoc1.gif

It will shut her right up.

999 A.D. A series of earthquakes, "AHH! It's the second coming!"

gunther

Shanoa said:
I understand what the guy says and believe me, it's something common in Chile, the TV networks lie about what happened and it's usual to see people crying after a mess. The ratings situation here is a roman coliseum battle and the networks doesn't care about the people, they care about sponsors and about what company offers the most bucks in advertisment.

Guys, seriously, Chile is one of the few countries in this world on where you can see a millionaire guy throwing bucks in the air because he's an egomaniac. (Leonardo Farkas)

Dude we are just as any western civilized country, so d.ont turn down our country its a really good one :D.

skybaby

Chile is the least worst country for this to happen to in South America. All other countries would be in shambles

Altazor

Shanoa said:

Farkas rules :lol (in some strange, twisted way). Egomaniac and all, he can still help if needed (Teletón a couple of years ago, his support of Tomás González, etc.)

but he's a weird guy anyway :D.

Altazor

SomeDude said:
Was all the building art for chile modeled after spain?

Mostly, with some french influence in Santiago (palaces from the late 1800's). There's also a huge german influence in the south, thanks to the german inmigration that took place in the XIX century.

jpderrida

Banned
GUYS PLEASE HELP THE ONES IN NEED!

helpchile.jpg

http://imaginepeace.com/archives/10340

Donate by SMS

Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon are all waiving fees and charges for users who want to reach out to victims of the massive earthquake that hit Chile last week. The massively successful text-to-donate campaign during the Haiti disaster is also back in full swing.

The Red Cross made huge waves with its text-to-donate initiative after the massive earthquake in Haiti. By sending a text message to a special Red Cross number, users could send a $10 donation, which was added to their monthly phone bill. More than $25 million was raised from text donations.

Chile now faces its own devastation after a magnitude-8.8 quake ripped through the country last week. The death toll currently stands at 711, while over a million homes have been destroyed. To do their part in helping with relief efforts, mobile phone companies have made it easier to provide aid.

Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile have all announced that they will waive the standard texting charge for any text message donation. Verizon and T-Mobile have both gone a step further, eliminating all charges for calls between the US and Chile.

“We want to help alleviate some of the agony being experienced by our customers trying to reach loved ones in Chile,” said Verizon VP Susan Retta. “Waiving the calling charges will help our customers focus on tracking down and keeping in touch with their family and friends without having to also worry about the cost of the call.”

Users can send texts to the following numbers to donate to Chile earthquake relief efforts:

- Text “Chile” to 90999 to send $10 to the American Red Cross
- Text “Chile” to 52000 to send $10 to the Salvation Army
- Text “Chile” to 25383 to send $10 to Habitat For Humanity
- Text “Chile” to 20222 to send $10 to World Vision
- Text “Rebuild” to 50555 to send $10 to Operation USA
- Text “Youth” to 20222 to send $10 to UNICEF

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i happen to live in chile and felt the quake at night, thankfully besides a few scares, some broken glasses and slight structural damage to my mom's house everything was fine. Some parts of my neighbourhood still have no power which is why i am in a cyber cafe right now writing this, i feel lucky that i don't live further south (i live around valparaiso) otherwise things would probably have gone a lot worse, anyway thanks for the thoughts guys.

Tetsuo9

skybaby said:
Chile is the least worst country for this to happen to in South America. All other countries would be in shambles
And well, it is in shambles, at least coastal towns and mayor towns near the center of the earthquake. I'm reporting from Valparaíso and aside from some broken stuff we are all fine and alive. I went to work today but we can't cause there is no water and people are cheking the structure of the building, so right now I'm going to volunteer to help for this week. Wish me luck!.

MeLe

Neo Member
It's true that most buildings and houses in our country are built with the probability of an earthquake in mind, that's why you'll find most mid-high class neighborhoods and buildings just fine and dandy (I admit I was scared during the earthquake, but after it ended you couldn't even tell there had been a catastrophe in my neighborhood since the houses are so sturdy). The biggest problem are the low income houses that are built with cheapness in mind, and weren't built with these expensive precautions in mind. Some areas of Santiago have thousand of destroyed houses and buildings, and a lot of people living and sleeping on the street, afraid of living on their own crumbled houses and having to steal from supermarkets in order to sustain themselves. With this in mind, it shouldn't be too expensive or time consuming to rebuild the low-income houses since they are relatively cheap, but it will be absolutely terrible for some people for the time being.

Altazor

the worst part is that even some mid class buildings collapsed! (that famous building in Concepción or the one in Maipú), but I definitely agree with you, MeLe.

Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

March 1 (Bloomberg) -- The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

Earthquakes can involve shifting hundreds of kilometers of rock by several meters, changing the distribution of mass on the planet. This affects the Earth’s rotation, said Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, who uses a computer model to calculate the effects.

“The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),” Gross, said today in an e-mailed reply to questions. “The axis about which the Earth’s mass is balanced should have moved by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters or 3 inches).”

Link: http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...shifted-earth-s-axis-nasa-scientist-says.html

Altazor

Things in Concepción are worse than ever - massive looting, supermarkets lit on fire, people going all vigilante on thieves, defending their home with baseball bats, guns and all kinds of home-made guns... military on the street, state of emergency and curfew declared... looks like a fucking war zone. It's depressing. :(

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'll be in Santiago in two weeks to visit a friend. In a stroke of "holy shit that was close", I had originally planned to arrive in Santiago sometime between Feb.27th and March 1st. but I changed it to March 18th a few weeks ago.

My buddy was Djing in a nightclub when the quake hit, said it started rather minor and then suddenly nobody could keep their balance and he heard several explosions. He's been walking about the city ever since taking pictures and documenting the affects.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
One of my best friends and his family come from the Santiago area, he has relatives near Concepcion, says they are all safe but were left with some serious property damage. Hopefully all Chilean gaffers and their families are safe and sound.

Altazor

hey, guess what... fucking earthquake in northern Chile, 6.4 magnitude, epicenter 88km near my town (Calama).

Needless to say, I was scared as fuck.

'TIS THE END OF THE WORLD! :D :p

CrankyJay

Banned
missbreedsiddx said:
I'll be in Santiago in two weeks to visit a friend. In a stroke of "holy shit that was close", I had originally planned to arrive in Santiago sometime between Feb.27th and March 1st. but I changed it to March 18th a few weeks ago.

Damn dude...you still going?

NotWii

Banned
Kandinsky said:
Holy crap 2 HUGES aftershocks just happened D:

Theyre saying 7.2 the first one D:
I wonder if it has something to do with the solar wind stream that's hitting us right now.

Still waiting for the CME from this week's solar magnetic filament collapse to reach us, it may brush against Earth sometime in the next 3 days.

Jeff-DSA

I've lived in Santa Cruz, Rengo, San Bernardo, and Curico, and it wasn't until yesterday that I was finally able to get word from my friends in Curico that they were all safe. It sounds like Curico was absolutely leveled. I still have on friend that lives in Talca that I haven't heard from.

One of my friends was staying at a beach house in Iloca and the place collapsed. They had to cut her hair to get her out and carry her up the hill before the tsunami washed away the place they were staying. It was a really close call for her.

Fuerza, Chile!

Altazor

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm in Santiago right now, arrived like an hour ago... and the city greeted me with 2 damned aftershocks. I'm a bit paranoid, I think... I live on a 4th floor and thankfully the stairs are in front of my apartment, so I can make a quick escape if needed.

Hopefully there are no more aftershocks of this magnitude.

Jeff-DSA

Altazor said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm in Santiago right now, arrived like an hour ago... and the city greeted me with 2 damned aftershocks. I'm a bit paranoid, I think... I live on a 4th floor and thankfully the stairs are in front of my apartment, so I can make a quick escape if needed.

Hopefully there are no more aftershocks of this magnitude.

Altazor, what part of Santiago do you live in? Anywhere near Providencia by any chance?

Jeff-DSA

I just know the place well. Great part of Santiago!

Good luck, man. I've been worried sick over all this stuff since the day it all began. I would love to fly down and spend some volunteer time in Curico, but I don't have the money or means to get down there right now.

Altazor

Yeah, Providencia is beautiful. My favourite part of the city, by far.

Thank you for your wishes! It'd be nice to have some more hands to help around here, some parts really need it. But your support, even from far away, helps too :)

Jeff-DSA said:
I've lived in Santa Cruz, Rengo, San Bernardo, and Curico, and it wasn't until yesterday that I was finally able to get word from my friends in Curico that they were all safe. It sounds like Curico was absolutely leveled. I still have on friend that lives in Talca that I haven't heard from.

One of my friends was staying at a beach house in Iloca and the place collapsed. They had to cut her hair to get her out and carry her up the hill before the tsunami washed away the place they were staying. It was a really close call for her.

Fuerza, Chile!

Wow that sounds really messed up :(

ronito said:
Oh great. Looking at some mormon sites a bunch of people are sure this is a "sign of the times" a sign that Jesus is returning soon. No, it's an earthquake.

Check out the first comment on the CNN link:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/03/11/chile.earthquake/index.html?hpt=T1

vwgtiman
Obviously some of you guys dont want to accept the truth about the bible. Yes, earthquakes have probably been going on for centuries. the question is, how many people knew about them when it happened. now we have televsion and internet plus the technology to detect and report earthquakes. The thing ...more
Obviously some of you guys dont want to accept the truth about the bible. Yes, earthquakes have probably been going on for centuries. the question is, how many people knew about them when it happened. now we have televsion and internet plus the technology to detect and report earthquakes. The thing is, its now known all over the world about where an earthquake happens. so if some of you would pick up the bible for once in your life and read the book of matthews, Jesus says there will be earthquakes. Meaning, in the end times people all over the world will know about them. Also this is just the beginning. Some of you might want to consider what the bible tells you. Peace less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom