• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Strong quake measuring 7.6 hits near Mexico City

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintZ

It was my first earthquake ever and I thought it was pretty funny! (My friends on FB, disagree though).

I didn't think it was too strong and it lasted like 40 seconds to me, so I'm surprised about that number.

ETA: Apparently there isn't any damages to any buildings and the subway is still working fine.

Unfortunately with these things, it usually looks fine within an hour or so of the quake, then the fires start (or the tsunamis, where applicable) and all shit goes haywire. Hopefully the infrastructure didn't take a hit here.

#PrayForMexico - There was an Earthquake in Mexico my prayers go out for all the Mexican Aliens and non - Aliens, i hope everyone is okay.

yesitis2.gif

My girlfriend is in Mexico City. She texted me saying the hospital where she is working has some damage. Hopefully everyone's ok.

Glad to hear there's been no major damage and lives lost (so far). I like it when the news stations have very little to feed off of.

xbhaskarx

Mexico, huh... in the south near Acapulco... isn't that close to where the Mayans were located?

NoRéN;36205282 said:
Oh, that's good. Twitter's on this shit.

In lieu of sending money and supplies to international relief agencies, please retweet #Pray4Mexico

Blackface

Banned
They are reporting a massive piece of the coast, roughly the size of Austin Texas, has fallen off into the ocean. unconfirmed number of dead.

jbueno

Local news reported a 7.8. Know people in DF, and they say that while they certainly felt the rumbling, fortunately it almost did no damage.

xbhaskarx

You can't post this without a source man :|

1. Post important new information as if it's fact
2. Provide no sources
3. Leave thread instead of answering the half a dozen people who reply to your comment

There really should be something in the ToS about that sort of behavior as it relates to breaking news stories with potential casualties....

1. Post important information with no source
2. Leave thread instead of answering the half a dozen people who reply to your comment

There really should be something in the ToS about that sort of behavior as it relates to breaking news stories with potential casualties....

Hopefully he ends up banned. Shit like this shouldn't be allowed on the forum. Kinda breaks the civil discussion rule :\.

Allard

You know, a hole opens up and the coast falls in screaming...yeah, that doesn't sound physically possible. Maybe the ocean would just cut off part of the coast line?

There is more then 1 type of displacement. Normal and Thrust faults occur vertically or at an angle and can sink or raise land from its normal orientation with the rest of the land around it. Its possible that the land could get displaced and 'sink' below the elevation of sea level and the water just engulfs it. But from my understanding a 7.0+ or higher normal fault is very rare to near unheard of. Most large quake are techtonic plate shifts which tend to move side to side. In which case the land can 'break away' from the mainland and water can rush in to fill the gaps and it makes it seem like a new island gets formed.

But till an actual source is shown, I'm going to (hopefully) assume its a joke.

Good to hear that some people are okay. Earthquakes are just getting more and more common aren't they? Maybe the Mayans were right.

I was just talking about the Mexican City quake with my dad, he was there at the time. Scary. Hopefully not a lot of people will be injured or killed.

Some news sources here in Mexico are reporting that our National Seismic System has put today's earthquake magnitude at 7.93. Apparently there are no casualties reported so far, but there have been significant structure damages in states near the epicenter such as Oaxaca and Guerrero.

Mexico City (from El Universal site):
7BrLc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom