• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING NEWS: 8.8-magnitude quake hits near Concepcion, Chile

Status
Not open for further replies.

loosus

Banned
OVERALL EDIT:

It has been updated to an 8.8: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35615455/ns/world_news-americas/

Hawaii under a tsunami warning (the highest advisory): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35616401/ns/us_news/

Earlier, a 7.0 had hit Okinawa.

A little while ago, a 6.3 hit part of Argentina.

rlf8ee.png

loosus

Banned
Ventrue said:
I don't mean to be a complainer but does anyone else find the BREAKING NEWS thing a bit annoying? It's hardly going to be breaking news in 12 hours, or 4 days, when this thread might still be going.
Who gives a shit.

OnPoint

Ventrue said:
I don't mean to be a complainer but does anyone else find the BREAKING NEWS thing a bit annoying? It's hardly going to be breaking news in 12 hours, or 4 days, when this thread might still be going.

Mods can edit then.

Calm down, it's breaking news now.

RBH

Fucking horrible.

Ventrue said:
I don't mean to be a complainer but does anyone else find the 'breaking news' thing a bit annoying? It's hardly going to be breaking news in 12 hours, or 4 days, when this thread might still be going. It's been going around a while and it just sorta bugs me.
This is seriously the first thing that popped into your head?

loosus said:
Who gives a shit.

mf.luder

Ventrue said:
I don't mean to be a complainer but does anyone else find the 'breaking news' thing a bit annoying? It's hardly going to be breaking news in 12 hours, or 4 days, when this thread might still be going. It's been going around a while and it just sorta bugs me.

I find you annoying. Extremely.

Holy shit. 8.3 on richter scale is fucking huge and absolutely catastrophic. Shit, I hope I'm wrong..
Ventrue said:
Get the fuck out.

bounchfx

really? no link?
only 'big' thing on msnbc is olympics, and of course that's more important.

edit: ah I see it now. the red bar up top. how...easily missed.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
bounchfx said:
really? no link?
No link on it yet, but it is on a massive bulletin on the msnbc.com mainpage.

I guess shit must still be rockin...

Ventrue

Woah, guys, as a human being I feel sad about what must be happening down there but it's hardly like my post in this thread makes a difference. I'm sorry if I upset anyone. I admit I didn't realise how significant an earthquake 8.3 represented.

I hope things are okay. I have a friend in Chile but she's about 1700km north of Concepción. Any tsunami warnings?

Fuck there are tsunami warnings. Dear god.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jesus. I know someone in Arica, but they're a significant way off from Concepcion, so He should be alright unless the tsunamis are too bad. I hope there isn't too much damage...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

El Sloth

Banned
Holy Hell 8.3! Jesus! I have family in Chile, but I don't know how near they are to Concepcion. Shit, I can't get in contact with them right now, hope they're okay.

Are there any reports on damage yet?

And wasn't there a quake off the coast of Japan recently? What the fuck is going on?

cubanb

Banned
Ventrue said:
Get a life dude.

An 8.3 earthquake is huge news and the first thing that comes to mind is the use of the term breaking in a title?

What is your problem?

Hope all is well in Chile. What are their earthquake building standards like?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Salmonax said:
Man, the only thing worse than a tsunami would be one that hit in the middle of the night.
Yeah, thats gotta be one of the scariest earthly things imaginable...

Banned
doomed1 said:
Jesus. I know someone in Arica, but they're a significant way off from Concepcion, so He should be alright unless the tsunamis are too bad. I hope there isn't too much damage...
Is there a joke Im missing?

Teknoman

Either there have been more earthquakes than normal lately, or im just paying more attention to them in the media. I mean I think Haiti is still having aftershocks.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
hmm. my land lords are in south America on vacation, they're basing in Venezuela but traveling around the continent.

Dresden

Teknoman said:
Either there have been more earthquakes than normal lately, or im just paying more attention to them in the media.
More extremely big ones, for sure.

I'm terrified that something like this will happen in California. Half my family lives in LA.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
...my thoughts go out to these people.
If only they could be as fortunate as I am, living here in the US without having to worry about these fucking natural disasters. I can't imagine living like that.

Darklord

Banned
8.5...lets hope this isn't another Haiti.

How long until the tsunami would likely happen in Peru or Ecuador(if it happens)?

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
cubanb said:
Get a life dude.

An 8.3 earthquake is huge news and the first thing that comes to mind is the use of the term breaking in a title?

What is your problem?

Hope all is well in Chile. What are their earthquake building standards like?

Unfortunately, Chile has the record for the strongest ever recorderd, 9.5.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-biggest-earthquake-ever-recorded.htm

Espero que mi familia en Santiago esten bien.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom