• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING NEWS: 8.8-magnitude quake hits near Concepcion, Chile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apath

Apparently the largest earthquake ever recorded (9.5) struck in roughly the same spot 50 years ago.

Hopefully damage is kept to a minimum and everyone is okay.

EDIT: Beaten

Enojado

Holy shit. I spent some time in and near Concepcion. I'm really afraid to hear of damage reports :( I hope the people I know down there are ok.

8.3 wtf

That's massive. And Okinawa, too. Did that hit direct or was that off the coast (tsunami warning!).

In fact, that might be where Peru and Ecuador's tsunami warnings are coming in. Oh man. : (

Anyone have any idea if Santiago would have felt or been badly affected by this?
Trying to call relatives in Santiago but its not connecting. :(

Teknoman

Dresden said:
More extremely big ones, for sure.

I'm terrified that something like this will happen in California. Half my family lives in LA.

Whats worse is that now I know that earthquakes can happen just about anywhere.

fna84 said:
My mom is trying to reach my relatives since they are located near Concepcion...no luck so far....
:(
Fuck, I feel so sad. My thoughts and prayers to everyone in Chile. God be with us all.

tabsina

shit.. my cousins aren't answering their phones, i hope it means they've left the house after the earthquake or just phone lines are screwed up (they live in concepcion itself)

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What the fuck? One in Okinawa too??? wtf is goin on

edit: okay, sounds like Japan is cool... they canceled their tsunami advisory

Teknoman

FlightOfHeaven said:
8.3 wtf

That's massive. And Okinawa, too. Did that hit direct or was that off the coast (tsunami warning!).

In fact, that might be where Peru and Ecuador's tsunami warnings are coming in. Oh man. : (

I think they canceled the warnings for Okinawa.

Chris R

Maps please? Have to see what kinda impact this will be having. Hope it was deep enough not to do very much serious damage.

Anyone know if Antofagasta has been affected? Got a friend there but luckily she's in Argentina on vacation. But still worried about her family.

Anto is right on the coast. Scared about a tsunami.

dudeworld

Darklord said:
8.5...lets hope this isn't another Haiti.

How long until the tsunami would likely happen in Peru or Ecuador(if it happens)?

It depends how far out to sea the earthquake occurred. I'd estimate an hour to 4 hours.

"Off the coast of-" I would guess it would take 1 - 2 hours.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Enojado said:
Holy shit. I spent some time in and near Concepcion. I'm really afraid to hear of damage reports :( I hope the people I know down there are ok.

Best wishes for those of you with family in Chile and the other affected areas.

Darklord

Banned
DY_nasty said:
What the fuck? One in Okinawa too??? wtf is goin on

edit: okay, sounds like Japan is cool... they canceled their tsunami advisory

Japan was build for Earthquakes, Chile...probably not.

Teknoman

2gujp6r.jpg

Ballistik

The one in Okinawa happed around 12 hours ago. It was on the news earlier today.. but yeah, this one sounds way more dangerous.

ZeroFate

Yeah... I live in Okinawa and got hit with a 7.3 earlier today but no tsunamis or significant damage happened.

7.3 felt STRONG as hell, I can only imagine what a 8.3 is like. Hopefully Chile will have the same luck we did. : /

Teknoman

Kagari said:
Of course they can.

Yeah for some reason I thought they usually just happened in certain coastal areas, but now after seeing what happened in Haiti with the not having an earthquake for over 100+ years(?), I even found out that Texas has a minor history of earthquakes.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Family in Santiago, and some others in Viña del Mar. Fuck they've been having their annual international music festival in Viña this week. On top of it all, my dad is visiting on business. I think he's in Santiago. Which apparently only got some bad shakes and blackouts.

Fuck. :/

I hope my mom is in bed. I really hope she's in bed and not watching the news.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
=( my thoughts and prayers to all those involved in these crazy events

NotWii

Banned
TERRA [earthquakes][destructive][large groups][single, and very large earthquakes][dusting][rolling wave][upper layers (of the ground)][everything][picked/lifted/kicked up][down (with a bang/loud noise)][masses (of disturbed) dust] after Spring equinox

thefro

R&R said:
Thats really huge earthquake...I hope its not total destruction like in Haiti =(

I'd guess their building standards are probably a lot better than Haiti especially with their history of huge earthquakes. Still going to be a lot of destruction with a quake that big though.

Rorschach

So, wait. Was the epicenter off shore or was it in Concepcion? Getting conflicting reports.

Hope it isn't as severe as it sounds.

thefro

Rorschach said:
So, wait. Was the epicenter off shore or was it in Concepcion? Getting conflicting reports.

56 miles NE of Concepcion is on-shore... probably about 200 miles SE of Santiago.

dudeworld

Rorschach said:

Off shore. Not sure where you're getting conflicting reports from, but everywhere I've looked say it's off shore.

noah111

Still Alive
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Wow. This has been a crazy last few months when it comes to earthquakes. Holy hell.
Tell me about it, I remember reading about a 7.0 quake off the shore of somewhere in japan as well today. Any word on where exactly the quake hit? Hopefully damage is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom