• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Yoichi Wada resigns as Square Enix CEO, likely being replaced by CFO

Eusis

Interesting times ahead. I'm not so sure the mobile sector is that future proof. We'll see.
I doubt it, but there's no guarantee they're going there to an even heavier extreme either. We probably won't see the full ramifications for a few years as it is.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Finally. EA lost their CEO, and now Square-Enix has lost there's. Life is good.

Is Reggie next on the cutting block? I know he's not a CEO, but he's no Howard Lincoln.

i6Ocs4K.gif

FIRE EVERYONE

IrishNinja

wow...still, can't say this came outta nowhere.

elements of GAF wanna blame every bad decision square's made on him, and that doesn't strike me as fair, but the company's still been a shadow of what it was, with projects moved around in such a way that implies awful management.

glad to see him go, and i'd love to hear sakaguchi's thoughts right now.

Cheebo

Banned
DS and Wii did do good though, only citing negatives is just half of the story. Positives count too.

Those came before 3DS and WiiU. They aren't going to ignore 2 years in a row of losses for the first time in company history and two systems failing to meet expectations. Iwata's job is clearly in peril unless something drastic happens to turn things around.

JoeM86

Those came before 3DS and WiiU. They aren't going to ignore 2 years in a row of losses for the first time in company history and two systems failing to meet expectations. Iwata's job is clearly in peril unless something drastic happens to turn things around.

Yes, but they also give the benefit of the doubt due to his track record to allow him to turn things around, as he has done with the 3DS. Sure, it may not be meeting expectations, but it is profitable and not doing badly by any sense of the word

wow...still, can't say this came outta nowhere.

elements of GAF wanna blame every bad decision square's made on him, and that doesn't strike me as fair, but the company's still been a shadow of what it was, with projects moved around in such a way that implies awful management.

glad to see him go, and i'd love to hear sakaguchi's thoughts right now.
Wada definitely wasn't the only person to blame.

How did people feel about Dragon Quest X going MMORPG?

My Dragon Quest-obsessed friend refuses to acknowledge the game for that reason. Do others feel this same way?

Well yea but Iwata brought those too. Looking from one half the story is not always correct way to see things, and yes of course his job is in perils.

AniHawk

A CEO is only as good as his last product. Wii U is an abject failure and 3DS isn't much better.

3ds isn't going to earn him a whole lot of points, but there's a clear difference between a system performing like an xbox 360 and one performing like a sega saturn.

IrishNinja

"Reminds me of when I almost tanked the entire company with Spirits Within."

well yeah, but after that

'meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow'

internally, and after sipping some good burboun...yeah that's about how i picture it

iwata's a made man, though! with connections & hair like that, Yamanuchi yakuza connects + renewed love hotel investments will have him on easy street i figure

sega saturn.

aw cmon ani, i go the retronauts saturn ep playing as you wrote this, man

Cheebo

Banned
3DS is doing extremely well in Japan though.

Tell that to the rest of the world. Nintendo had to cut their 3DS sales projections 3 times for FY2013.

3ds isn't going to earn him a whole lot of points, but there's a clear difference between a system performing like an xbox 360 and one performing like a sega saturn.

Problem is when GCN failed to take off they still had GBA doing insane numbers, 3DS is no GBA. They can't fall back on it during bad times like they did with GBA. If WiiiU is bombing then 3DS needs to make up for it, which it isn't.

My Dragon Quest-obsessed friend refuses to acknowledge the game for that reason. Do others feel this same way?

It's the highest selling MMO of all time in Japan. Those that play it consider it to be a strong entry in the franchise.

Lyng

Last time this company was in this amount of trouble a man named Sakaguchi saved them by creating Final Fantasy.

Bring him back and give him free hands on the next title.
Take the best creative people from both square and enix. Put them on this title.

Risk everything on this final move...and save the company.

deleted

I think this is more Hitman: Absolution honestly. Tomb Raider started well, but we'll see. I'm sure they expected huge sales, and for good reason. The game is a masterpiece with a huge brand name.

SQEX spared no expense on Eidos games, PC ports, and United Front Games. And they have not been rewarded.

They have not?
Deus Ex was a success, they considered Sleeping Dogs one, mentioned Just Cause 2 as an example for long lasting, constant game sales. Tomb Raider seems to sell quite well and only Hitman seemingly underperformed.

Meanwhile S-E relaunched FFVII and VIII on PC but on no big shop, bombed FF XIV into the ground, halted the development of many games to correct that game, couldn't connect to their DS success outside of Dragon Quest and failed to deliver on projects that are long overdue (Versus, KHIII, etc.).

I hope they don't turn away from Eidos or PC, because that wasn't the reason S-E didn't do quite as well as they hoped.

AOC83

Banned

3DS performs ok. But it could perform better if someone who knows what he is doing would actually run Nintendo.

Eusis

Oh come on! A dude got lost his job! lol.
He can probably stay unemployed and live the rest of his life quite comfortably. CEOs are low on my list of people to feel sorry for losing their jobs, and if I do it won't be for the same reasons as, say, when masses of people get laid off at a developer after crunching development.

Shinta

Banned

Honestly, from a business perspective DQX is a smart move. XI is the most profitable FF ever. Taking one shot at a DQ MMO could have amounted to a core financial pillar for them going forward for the next decade.

Whether it pans out or not, it was a smart gamble.

They have not?
Deus Ex was a success, they considered Sleeping Dogs one, mentioned Just Cause 2 as an example for long lasting, constant game sales. Tomb Raider seems to sell quite well and only Hitman seemingly underperformed.

Meanwhile S-E relaunched FFVII and VIII on PC but on no big shop, bombed FF XIV into the ground, halted the development of many games to correct that game, couldn't connect to their DS success outside of Dragon Quest and failed to deliver on projects that are long overdue (Versus, KHIII, etc.).

I hope they don't turn away from Eidos or PC, because that wasn't the reason S-E didn't do quite as well as they hoped.

Deus Ex sold around the same as XIII-2, but cost a lot more to make I'm sure. Sleeping Dogs was not a success. Sold like 90,000k first month when I'm sure they wanted millions, considering it literally is better than GTA IV. Tomb Raider is their biggest brand name besides FF and DQ. They invested very heavily in the game. It's doing decently but I'm sure they wanted, and rightfully expected, a gigantic hit with this game. It's a masterpiece.

Thief 4 is also being moved to next gen. And how much is Soul Suspect actually going to sell? Eidos makes great stuff, but the sales are really not setting the world on fire, at all.

And Hitman mega, mega bombed. And it looks like a very expensive game to make.

They are only part of Square that makes money. They are going to be fine....

People just believe what they want to believe I guess.

Celine

The Company forecasts that actual business results from its Digital Entertainment Segment substantially fall below its plan primarily due to slow sales of major console game titles in North American and European markets.

More ios stuff incoming?

Jonnyram

The timing of this is really interesting.
Square and Enix merged exactly 10 years ago on April 1, and this fuckwit has destroyed everything that was great about the Square side pre-merger.

It's essentially the end of the financial year, so Square Enix will have a fresh start from April 1.
Look at the stuff they have coming:
- relaunch of FFXIV
- rumoured renaming of FFversusXIII to FFXV
- FFX and FFX-2 HD remasters

Man, I've got a really good feeling about the imminent future of the company.
They just need to cancel Lightning Returns to prove that they can do it.

A chance for FFvs13 seeing the light of day. Their priority should be Eidos, main FF and KH games. It was a mistake to focus on so many things that resulted in so little things getting done.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Last time this company was in this amount of trouble a man named Sakaguchi saved them by creating Final Fantasy.

Bring him back and give him free hands on the next title.
Take the best creative people from both square and enix. Put them on this title.

Risk everything on this final move...and save the company.
I don't think Sakaguchi coming back will help. There's still a lot of talent at Square Enix so restructuring is their best bet. Making the company more efficient at what they do with an intelligent CEO at the helm is what they need.

Top Bottom