• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Yoichi Wada resigns as Square Enix CEO, likely being replaced by CFO

Matsuda will do what's right.

R5rBbyI.gif
Matsuda! :D

Necron

It has finally happened...

Hopefully this means a refocused effort on FF, DQ and new IP.

Then again... under his control Square was able to get hold of Eidos.

Ushae

Banned
Western Output has been phenomenal, does this mean Japanese games will bring their A game too? I really hope so, this publisher has shown they can make quality games.

flawfuls

I think at this point any change in direction for pretty much any major publisher = more social/F2P/iphone games and less everything else.

- J - D -

Another CEO gets booted this month? Wild! The next guy to take over SE has to be the spiritual child of the Guch and Wada, it's the only way the ship stays afloat. Better FF games while maintaining the nurturing hand over western IPs, that's the dream.

Mandoric

Banned
This sounds pretty bad.

"Extraordinary loss" means "loss we don't expect to repeat" rather than "huge fucking loss", though this is pretty huge too.

The fact that it's a writedown on loss of disposal (read: SE was valuing something on the books highly and then sold it for a lot less) and loss on evaluation (read: SE is no longer valuing some assets as highly) are interesting--was there a wave of cancellations we're about to hear about?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Western Output has been phenomenal, does this mean Japanese games will bring their A game too? I really hope so, this publisher has shown they can make quality games.

The output has been steady but apparently they didn't perform as well as they could have.

I'm seeing more mobile games in the future.

Also they won't just suddenly announce a few locatisations. Things can't change overnight.

Sinople

I fear that SE will become actually worse: more social games and micro-transactions, less risky and/or ambitious titles. Wait and see...

patapuf

Considering it's the console side that underperformed i wouldn't bring out the champagne yet. Usually restructuring means unprofitable parts of the business get cut

Shinta

Banned
Versus finally claimed its victim

I think this is more Hitman: Absolution honestly. Tomb Raider started well, but we'll see. I'm sure they expected huge sales, and for good reason. The game is a masterpiece with a huge brand name.

Wow too bad. Thief 4 will probably be cancelled and Eidos will turn into full time iOS developers.

SQEX spared no expense on Eidos games, PC ports, and United Front Games. And they have not been rewarded.

Cheebo

Banned
More iOS from S-E coming your way, since they have mentioned before how profitable mobile has been for them lately.

Mobile division of Square-Enix is profitable, the console division is not. So some people think this means LESS iOS games? I don't understand this line of logic.

duckroll

"Extraordinary loss" means "loss we don't expect to repeat" rather than "huge fucking loss", though this is pretty huge too.

The fact that it's a writedown on loss of disposal (read: SE was valuing something on the books highly and then sold it for a lot less) and loss on evaluation (read: SE is no longer valuing some assets as highly) are interesting--was there a wave of cancellations we're about to hear about?

10 billion yen is about comparative to say 100 million bucks right? Maybe Versus just died with Wada. Looooool.

Pooya

Any chances this leads to SE regaining some former glory?

if you mean the Japanese side of development, their problem is fundamental developer and team management problems that is pretty much incapable of couping with modern big games, things like that won't change overnight.

Busty

Banned
John Riccitiello and Yoichi Wada will join forces to bring back Acclaim and make it the number one force in the video game industry.

*huffs jenkem*

It's happening people.

You mark my words.

Mandoric

Banned
10 billion yen is about comparative to say 100 million bucks right? Maybe Versus just died with Wada. Looooool.

Yep, it's the budget range of a major title. Or maybe the kind of writedown you'd say, see, if they dumped a few years of assets and retargeted it to sell 2-3 million rather than 6 million
like if it just became an exclusive launch title.

Top Bottom