• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

AdanVC

Andre says the Breath of the Wild GameExplain analysis video is nearly complete on the latest NVC! He says it is at 1 hr 15 mins at the moment.

Sweet mother of jesus. Biggest gaming analysis ever. They sure took their time with this. It was analyzed so deeply they probably found an image of Miyamoto playing an ukulele in some of the textures of the game. Can't wait!

ReyVGM

Pretty sure I went there, there was a chest with a bow or a sword or something iirc.

I've watched every single video available in the entire world, and no one has climbed the inside of the Temple of Time.
The bow you speak of is on the ground, what I'm talking about is about what looks to be a platform above ground on that left tower.

Better textures+better draw distance+locked framerate+1080p+AA...is what I want out of the NX version. Most importantly draw distance. Honestly if its 2-3x more powerful than Wii U then I think its doable, but it might be a decent amount of extra work.

mugwhump

Better textures+better draw distance+locked framerate+1080p+AA...is what I want out of the NX version. Most importantly draw distance. Honestly if its 2-3x more powerful than Wii U then I think its doable, but it might be a decent amount of extra work.

Based on most rumored specs I'm not sure I expect 1080p. I just want better draw distances honestly.

All I really want is less noticeable pop-in

Yeah, it's pretty damn rough at times. Only blight on an otherwise incredible showing so far. If NX really does end up being as under-spec-ed as rumored, draw distances/pop-in needs to be the focus for whatever extra juice it has over Wii U. Then resolution.

SomTervo

Funnily enough this is one game I totally don't care about optimisation or IQ for.

Watching videos - even like the flythrough above - it looks artistically beautiful regardless of simulation, just like Shadow of the Colossus. It looks like they're nailing the perfect fine line between graphics and art - which is always the best way.

As long as it's not sub 20FPS I'm happy.

Legend of Zelda > Shadow of the Colossus > Legend of Zelda

Never owned a Nintendo home console. Looking forward to making an NX or U my first on BotW's release.

The Boat

I've watched every single video available in the entire world, and no one has climbed the inside of the Temple of Time.
The bow you speak of is on the ground, what I'm talking about is about what looks to be a platform above ground on that left tower.
I didn't record it, but I climbed it, I don't know what to tell you. Either that one or the middle one, probably both.

jwillenn

TV Ads aside, I hope Nintendo doesn't show off anything new for this game. If the game is showcased again this year, simply let it be a NX version of the demo from E3.

Neiteio

TV Ads aside, I hope Nintendo doesn't show off anything new for this game. If the game is showcased again this year, simply let it be a NX version of the demo from E3.
I hope they at least preview towns, so we can see how NPCs and sidequests are in this game, and one regular dungeon -- not in its entirety, but enough to understand its theme and gimmick. Also, a glimpse of a proper boss would be nice.

majik13

I watched a video just yesterday of what looked to be someone climbing a tower, getting to a platform or floor inside the tower, opening a chest in the corner and it was a bow.
But could be a different area of what you are talking about.

ReyVGM

I watched a video just yesterday of what looked to be someone climbing a tower, getting to a platform or floor inside the tower, opening a chest in the corner and it was a bow.
But could be a different area of what you are talking about.

Video link?

I dunno if I worded it incorrectly, but I'm talking about the Temple of Time. If you look at it from the front, it has three 'towers' on the left, center and right side. The left one is destroyed, but the center & right one are intact.

x7EOxRZ.png

If you enter the temple of time, on the right tower, ground floor, there is a chest with a bow. But I'm talking about there seemingly being a platform above ground (inside, not outside) near the ceiling. Everyone climbs the temple of time from the outside and reaches the center tower, and it does have another bow. But I'm talking about the right tower, from the inside of the temple.

Aonouma on the day and night cycle:

We didn’t want to create something that was dark and scary. I’ve been up a tall mountain at night and seen the stars; it was completely dark, but the starlight made it brighter. I wanted our nighttime environment to be something like that. And when it’s dark, there are elements in the environment that glow, so the player can use those to find their way.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/?p=434288

Akai

Since some early TP videos I wanted a really dark night where you need to use the lantern to find your way. Even though I'm very hyped about BOTW I also have feelings that Zelda might be distancing from the direction I wanted for the series.

Having played through (and enjoyed) Dragon's Dogma, I never want to play through another game with nights I can't see a damn thing in. Once you get past the initial "Oooo dark and scary, there could be a monster I can't see" appeal, it just gets plain frustrating traveling from Point A to Point B at night...

The more I think about BotW, the more I think the difficulty is going to be somewhat murderous.

I think considering the rather large amount of tools you get early in the game to engineer creative solutions to problems, it won't be that bad if you're good at the mechanics. But I do expect to die a bit more often in this game. So, you'll still have to play well but it's not going to be too obnoxious difficulty wise. So my kind of difficulty mode for a generally smooth experience. I don't really like bashing my head against a wall but I do want to engage with the mechanics of game.

Dystify

Reddit user Botw_Comp made a list of his Top 10 of interesting Bokoblin encounters. Even if you've seen most of these already (like I have) it's quite an amazing sight to have them all together in one place. It makes me really wonder just how endless the possible interactions in this game may be. (I wanted to post them as images but Gyfcat doesn't work on GAF and GIFs would be too large in data size.)

Anyway, here's their list:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/4xjgui/breath_of_the_wilds_physics_and_enemy_ai_makes/

Haha, that look of surprise on their faces at example 10.
I love how quirky the enemies apear to be in this and how they can actually hit each other when they mess up.

watershed

Banned
Reddit user Botw_Comp made a list of his Top 10 of interesting Bokoblin encounters. Even if you've seen most of these already (like I have) it's quite an amazing sight to have them all together in one place. It makes me really wonder just how endless the possible interactions in this game may be. (I wanted to post them as images but Gyfcat doesn't work on GAF and GIFs would be too large in data size.)

Anyway, here's their list:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/4xjgui/breath_of_the_wilds_physics_and_enemy_ai_makes/
Great stuff. I'm glad this looks like it will be an open world game where every fight can be entertaining.

Preble

Game looks pretty cool and I can't wait to try it out. I'm just NOT a big fan of the whole breakable items thing. Never really liked that in games.

Anyone know if you can get items (sword, bow,etc) that won't break?

ReyVGM

Game looks pretty cool and I can't wait to try it out. I'm just NOT a big fan of the whole breakable items thing. Never really liked that in games.

Probably, but expect them near the end, such as the master sword.

I believe in some of the video interviews they asked Bill or someone else if weapons could be repaired and he evaded the question. I think the weapons can be upgraded too, that one they confirmed if I'm remembering correctly.

My guess is that you are going to find some weapons that are very durable, but they will have crappy attack power.

TheMoon

The key difference is that you're swimming in weapons here and you're not farming weapon loot that breaks like in other games. It really is a non-issue from that perspective. You're never gonna be in a situation where you run out of weapons because you can always just pick up the one your enemy just dropped. You probably will never even find the Axe of Love break on you and be gone forever. There's probably some sort of crafting aspect that might extend duration of items or add effects to it but from what we've seen so far, this is all about interchangeable weaponry.

mugwhump

Probably, but expect them near the end, such as the master sword.

I believe in some of the video interviews they asked Bill or someone else if weapons could be repaired and he evaded the question. I think the weapons can be upgraded too, that one they confirmed if I'm remembering correctly.

My guess is that you are going to find some weapons that are very durable, but they will have crappy attack power.

He explicitly said they couldn't be repaired but didn't say anything about finding unbreakable items.

I guess they want to keep it breakable so that your equipment will come to match the difficulty of the area you're in, so you can't get weapons from the hardest area and keep them all game

Having played through (and enjoyed) Dragon's Dogma, I never want to play through another game with nights I can't see a damn thing in. Once you get past the initial "Oooo dark and scary, there could be a monster I can't see" appeal, it just gets plain frustrating traveling from Point A to Point B at night...

I didn't have any issues with that. The game is so generous with oil and the lanterns consume so little of it that I virtually left them on at all times, even in broad daylight.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a minor issue I have addressed a few times. But today marks two months after E3 2016, and Nintendo of America's press site still has not been updated to show the subtitle of the new The Legend of Zelda game. It says just The Legend of Zelda for Wii U (name not final).

z17rulx.png

z2olugk.png

The E3 press kit is still up, but that's no excuse in my opinion to just ignore updating the main page. It should be just a few clicks in any CMS to update the title of a game.

wrowa

I can see breakable equipment becoming an issue, actually. You get tons and tons of equipment, sure, but at least the demo also used new weapons as the primary reward for exploration (outside of finding shrines).

And then you got to wonder if exploration feels actually worth it and rewarding when your newly found cool equipment breaks after just a couple uses. It felt amazing to find the Fire Rod in the demo - and it was disheartening to see it break just a couple minutes later. What is the point of finding special, rare items when you have to dread using them? When you can't toy around with them without thinking "I don't want to lose it already" all the time?

Then again, this is assuming the demo is representative for the final game in that regard, which it very well might not be. How exploration will be rewarded so it continues to feel rewarding throughout the game was the biggest question I had on my mind after playing the demo, though.

I can see breakable equipment becoming an issue, actually. You get tons and tons of equipment, sure, but at least the demo also used new weapons as the primary reward for exploration (outside of finding shrines).

And then you got to wonder if exploration feels actually worth it and rewarding when your newly found cool equipment breaks after just a couple uses. It felt amazing to find the Fire Rod in the demo - and it was disheartening to see it break just a couple minutes later. What is the point of finding special, rare items when you have to dread using them? When you can't toy around with them without thinking "I don't want to lose it already" all the time?

Then again, this is assuming the demo is representative for the final game in that regard, which it very well might not be. How exploration will be rewarded so it continues to feel rewarding throughout the game was the biggest question I had on my mind after playing the demo, though.
The point is finding items that break so you can keep searching them.

Which in the longrun sounds more frustrating than fun to me when it comes to more unique/rare items.
It all comes down to item variety I think. The risk of it being frustrating is there, sure, but what I saw in the demo seemed already packed with different items.

G.ZZZ

Usability done this way is nothing short of great as long as unique items can be repaired or simply don't break. Also encourage play stealth or simply careful with resource management

Top Bottom