• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Feltrol

Banned
M6m70Me.gif

Is that Skyloft from Skyward Sword, or perhaps the Sky City from Twilight Princess?
Maybe neither... but man...

It could either be something like Hyrule Warriors with time travel shenanigans, or it could be after WW. We see mention of a great ocean and Koroks, an Eldin Bridge could have been constructed in the WW timeline as much as it was in the TP one and the Goddess statue is inside the Temple of Time from OoT, so it could just be that the Temple of Time was built where
the sanctuary part of Skyloft crashed
in SS.
I personally think this is going to be a sequel to the NES titles. I think they are most heavily drawing connection to the NES Zeldas. Zelda 2 had an ocean going through Hyrule dividing the region in half. This game could take place after it receded.

hyrule.php

What are the chances that the Master Sword goes through some sort of Narsil - Anduril sort of transformation. For those that are unsure what I'm talking about, in the Lord of the Rings there is a powerful sword called Narsil. During a fight with Sauron, the Dark Lord, the sword broken into pieces. Using the broken handle of the sword, Elendil used it to cut the One Ring off of Sauron, thus defeating him.

In the Fellowship era, the shards were collected and reforged into a new sword called Anduril. The scabbard was also enchanted so that the blade that, once drawn, could never break.

We've seen that the Master Sword is quite rusted, and we've also seen that there's weapon degradation. Heck, we've even seen Bill grab the rusted sword from the rock in the beginning of the demo. The sword was meant to resemble the Master Sword.

There's also a focus on interchangeable weapons and archery.

I could see a game where-in Link gets the Master Sword, but it's not as powerful as it once was, so it breaks during an early battle with Ganon. We know that we can mine ore, so perhaps there's a quest to reforge the sword and gather special ore from wherever.
Similar to the bombs and bow and arrow that received a technology upgrade. I suspect the master sword will undergo a technological upgrade. I suspect a lot of the main classic Zelda items may have a technology upgrade aspect.

ReyVGM

I'm watching the Nintendo Minute and apparently there's some sort of aircraft flying in the sky, but the treehouse guys didn't confirm what it was.

Has anyone seen other videos showing that aircraft?

I'm watching the Nintendo Minute and apparently there's some sort of aircraft flying in the sky, but the treehouse guys didn't confirm what it was.

Has anyone seen other videos showing that aircraft?

Yes. Polygon uploaded a video and in it they climbed the Tempe of time and we can see this wierd thing floating.

Edit: it's somewhere around 41:30.

Yagharek

Might be time to go on complete blackout for this game. Too many cool things I want to discover for myself even in this e3 demo.

Will you be able to strengthen your weapons so they don't degrade so quickly? I'm fine with the weak stuff you pick up from enemies but if I have to constantly maintain my inventory , it's going to be a big damper. Its one of the reason I gave up on Dark Cloud so early on.

Will you be able to strengthen your weapons so they don't degrade so quickly? I'm find with the weak stuff you pick up from enemies but if I have to constantly maintain my inventory , it's going to be a big damper. Its one of the reason I gave up on Dark Cloud so early on.

There doesn't seem to be any form of repairing mechanic which is honestly why the durability system might actually work.

I hope there is fishing is this...

Please.

Better than that, There's Bombfishing.

Are there any videos showcasing puzzles or dungeons? I watched a bit of the stream, but all I saw was the open world stuff.

Nintendo's Youtube Channel Should have all the Shrine videos so that should serve your needs.

Is there no way Nintendo could just charge us $10 to play the Zelda demo on our Wii U's? Even if there was like a time limit I'd take it

Anno

I haven't been able to watch much of this, but someone at work told me this is the weird follow-up to Far Cry 2 that I've been clamoring for. The bullet points are interesting, guess I'll have to catch up this weekend. The game sure looks mighty pretty.

Catching up the trailer and details after a long shitty day at work.

Love pretty much every so far. Conceptually and mechanically looks to do some wonderful things with the open world premise and the Zelda franchise. Really does seem like it's harkening back to the series roots, literally back to the very first.

Not sold on stuff like item drops and durability. Nintendo hasn't done this "right" yet in my opinion and I'm not convinced loot shit has a place in Zelda. We'll see.

Like the art, but the tech looks terribly dated. Reality is I've been spoiled by open world games on PC hardware, or at least modern hardware, which the Wii U is not. The limitations in draw distance and scene density are painfully obvious and I don't feel the art, as nice as it is, does it any particular favours. The immediate proximity of Link always looks great, meanwhile everything on the horizon is devoid of detail. Really, really want to see the NX build.

Anyway get hype etc etc. Looks like a solid direction for the series.

All solid points. On the loot, I like the variety we've seen, but I'm not really digging the prospect of inventory management.

kunonabi

I personally think this is going to be a sequel to the NES titles. I think they are most heavily drawing connection to the NES Zeldas. Zelda 2 had an ocean going through Hyrule dividing the region in half. This game could take place after it receded.

hyrule.php

Similar to the bombs and bow and arrow that received a technology upgrade. I suspect the master sword will undergo a technological upgrade. I suspect a lot of the main classic Zelda items may have a technology upgrade aspect.

It would be pretty cool if sleeping Zelda from Link's Adventure served as the story's motivation for putting Link to sleep in order to protect him.

I'm fine with a tech upgrade for the Master Sword as long as it shoots beams. I was so happy to have it back in SS I don't want to lose it again.

Will you be able to strengthen your weapons so they don't degrade so quickly? I'm fine with the weak stuff you pick up from enemies but if I have to constantly maintain my inventory , it's going to be a big damper. Its one of the reason I gave up on Dark Cloud so early on.

I think the weapons we saw in the demo are weak because it is the starting area of the game. I pretty sure, well I hope so, that weapons later on are more durable.

GamerSoul

One of my most favorite things from Legend of Zelda is the Sheikah and to see their symbol all throughout these videos excites me to no end. I hope we get to learn a lot more about them.

M6m70Me.gif

Is that Skyloft from Skyward Sword, or perhaps the Sky City from Twilight Princess?

I meant to ask about this earlier. I kept seeing it in the distance on yesterday's stream and kept yelling at my monitor for them to look at it with the scope!

Looks like a damn airship!

ReyVGM

It seems Nintendo employees are checking forums, twitter, facebook and the sort to see impressions from fans, and also, complaints.

I can't make new threads, so could anyone make a thread here with things we would like to have improved in the final game (from what we've seen)? Hopefully Nintendo catches it and takes it into account. No point in asking for bugs or pop-in to be fixed, since the game is still in development or maybe the Wii U can't even handle any more details.

My minor things that I would like to be improved:

-When you open a chest, it takes up to a second for the message to pop up. The message should pop up the very moment the chest opens. Also, for god sake, open the chest all the way :p

-When you are holding a bomb over your head, if you open the menu to switch to another bomb, the bomb will not switch. You need to drop that bomb and re-select the one you want. It should work like the weapons, if you are holding a weapon and change it, Link automatically puts that weapon away and uses the other one.

-I know the item pop-in screen is faster than before, and only happens the first time you pick up an item, but there's still a whole lot of them since there are a ton of more items.
I don't really need to see a description for every single item (like an apple, or baked apple, or half-bitten apple, etc). The unobtrusive popup on the right should be enough. It shows an image of the item, the name and if it has special properties, it could have an icon saying so. If I wanted more info about it, I can open the item screen.

-The shrines idea is great, because you can complete as many as you want, but I kind of wish there were other kind of mini dungeons. Like hidden caves (like the ones on Twilight Princess), or a hole in the ground, or inside a tree trunk, or a abandoned mansion. The shrines so far all look very technology driven and don't seem organic.

That's all I have so far.

I hope they keep a lot of this stuff secret. It would jive well with Nintendo's wish for people to talk to their friends to figure out things while playing the original Zelda.

Seik

Banned
M6m70Me.gif

Watch this just being BotW's Beedle Shop Ship in the end. :lol

On a more serious note: Yeah, this is legit exciting, game seems to have tons of content. :D

ReyVGM

Did you notice that Nintendo didn't mention absolutely anything about the 30th anniversary of Zelda?? Perhaps since the game will launch till next year, it doesn't make sense to talk about it's anniversary when no actual game will launch this year to celebrate it just like they did last year with Mario and Super Mario Maker... They even made a cool logo to conmemorate and all of that.

Yes they did. Reggie mentioned it before showing the Zelda trailer.

ReyVGM

Maybe we can forge the weapon to keep it from breaking? We'll see in time, but there's always weapons from downed enemies. Bow & arrows are definitely the way to go for sneak attacks, etc.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get permanent weapons, but my guess is that's going to happen very late in the game, or after completing some difficult sidequest.

My reasoning is because the game seems to give you a lot of different weapons, and other regions will probably have a lot of new weapons too. So if you had an indestructible weapon, why would you even switch it for the other destroyable ones?

OnFire331

Holy shit, I haven't been this excited for a new Zelda in ages.

It seems to be doing what the original LoZ set out to do, only with modern game design. The only other game I played that had that adventurous feeling was Shadow of the Colossus, and the exploration mechanics here seems to be somewhat similar (for instance, the stamina bar and the climbing).

aBarreras

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get permanent weapons, but my guess is that's going to happen very late in the game, or after completing some difficult sidequest.

My reasoning is because the game seems to give you a lot of different weapons, and other regions will probably have a lot of new weapons too. So if you had an indestructible weapon, why would you even switch it for the other destroyable ones?

well, since enemies have hp bars and weapons have attack points, even if you sword is indestructible it will be usseles if it has like 3 atk point against an enemy with 1000 hp points, like the guardians

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
For as long as I can remember I mostly stuck with 2D Zelda. 3D Zelda just never clicked with me, with the last one I finished being Majora's Mask.

However, this game has completely won me over. Just catching up on a few hours of footage and I'm so impressed at the direction Nintendo are taking this.

The music for the trailer is beautiful too.

Raitaro

I have to admit that despite some of my initial nitpicks or fears (low combat difficulty against basic enemies, returning sound cues, some emptiness in the world, low puzzle difficulty, identical looking shrines aesthetically) this game has not left my thoughts since the first gameplay demonstrations. It just looks so inviting to start exploring and there seems to be so much to find and figure out!

No other E3 game seems to be coming close to how much I want to try this game in other words. I really wish Nintendo would throw us patiently waiting (launch) Wii U buyers a bone by making the Great Plateau demo available to download.

I mean, why not? It won't spoil any story beats or lore and even if it is not fully indicative of the final game's quality in terms of polish and such, having this to play until the final game comes out (in a LOOONNGGGG time, at least that it is how it will feel now) would be greatly appreciated and somewhat of a fair thing to do considering the Wii U now suddenly does not seem to be getting many (or any?) more big games around the holidays.

Heck I'd even pay a fee to be able to play this particular demo!

I always profess my guilt of just not being able to get into the Zelda series, they are great games but I have yet to really sit down and just play one to completion. This may be the first Zelda that actually has a spot on my must play list.

I love the art style. The NX will have an amazing version of this game. And this game is going look so nice in a couple years on Cemu.

Nintendo really impressed me with the game design bringing in all modern concepts along with a rather seamless open world which is ironically fresh to Nintendo philosophy.

You can see GTA, Oblivion/Skyrim, AssCreed, and various other cues but the game is still overwhelmingly Zelda. The puzzles and combat is all there.

I was pissed when I heard Nintendo was bringing one game to E3, they really screwed the pooch on NX timing and buildup. But damn, they really did bring a hot game to E3.

I also honestly think that it may be one of the best video game reveal trailers ever made.

Diffense

I already know I am going to spend countless hours on the central plateau exploring every corner before leaving. Link slept for 100 years and I'll probably take another 100 to beat this game.

Kinokou

There doesn't seem to be any form of repairing mechanic which is honestly why the durability system might actually work.

I wouldn't write it off yet. Just because Link can cook and pickup the weapons doesn't mean he is capable to repair them, it might tie into towns and NPC's who will do it for a price.

Top Bottom