• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breitbart to open in France & Germany + Expansion of US branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gundalf

lol breitbart@germany
Spreading as a foreign organization right wing content in Germany get's you very quickly on their secret-services watch-list.

Pyrokai

Can we stop this? We're smarter than them, we should be able to find a way to squash this, right? This is causing me to shake in my boots :(

Zaru

lol breitbart@germany
Spreading as a foreign organization right wing content in Germany get's you very quickly on their secret-services watch-list.

If anything, the german Breitbart leadership will be filled with informant plants (V-Männer) who will make the whole thing worse than it already promises to be.

Jasup

How the fuck did a shitty racist tabloid rag get so popular?

What the fuck is going on with this world.

Are you familiar with the phrase "Lügenpresse" or lying press?
It's a derogatory term used by the far-right or "alt-right" of mainstream media outlets. This stems from the notion that the media doesn't cover the same news they see in their social media bubble, therefore they think the mainstream media is intentionally covering things up and thus the conventional sources are not to be trusted. Social media does affect how we perceive reality, and if that perceived reality is different there is a conflict and you're more likely to trust your own bubble.

These shitty racist tabloid rags pander to those markets. Instead of some lonely individuals' conspiracy rant blogs that are easily dismissed by many based on their appearance alone, Breitbart and its ilk gives you the perception of a reputable news site. It is the same phenomenon as with someone wearing a white lab coat, it grants you instant authority. If it looks like news, it must be news, right?

These "news sites" are popular because their users use the sites not only as their primary source of news but many times as their only source of news. If it conforms to your reality, it must be true.

So they are literally going to do propaganda for the far right. Lovely...

Who the fuck advertises on these sites? Where does their revenue come from? Some sponsors in Russia maybe?

Alx

I'm not familiar with Breitbart, what makes them different from other members of the far right press ? (of which we already have a few over here, unfortunately).
I can't see a "news" source becoming popular and having an impact on elections in less than 6 months, unless they're especially skilled in stuff like propaganda on social networks and such.

I'm not familiar with Breitbart, what makes them different from other members of the far right press ? (of which we already have a few over here, unfortunately).
I can't see a "news" source becoming popular and having an impact on elections in less than 6 months, unless they're especially skilled in stuff like propaganda on social networks and such.
This is their visitor growth according to Alexa. Shit goes fast when it is spread through social media. And they are good at it.

graph

They are estimated to be the 131 most visited website in the US at the moment.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Are you familiar with the phrase "Lügenpresse" or lying press?
It's a derogatory term used by the far-right or "alt-right" of mainstream media outlets. This stems from the notion that the media doesn't cover the same news they see in their social media bubble, therefore they think the mainstream media is intentionally covering things up and thus the conventional sources are not to be trusted. Social media does affect how we perceive reality, and if that perceived reality is different there is a conflict and you're more likely to trust your own bubble.

These shitty racist tabloid rags pander to those markets. Instead of some lonely individuals' conspiracy rant blogs that are easily dismissed by many based on their appearance alone, Breitbart and its ilk gives you the perception of a reputable news site. It is the same phenomenon as with someone wearing a white lab coat, it grants you instant authority. If it looks like news, it must be news, right?

These "news sites" are popular because their users use the sites not only as their primary source of news but many times as their only source of news. If it conforms to your reality, it must be true.
I've never heard that term before but I've heard of the sentiment. You see a lot of people just not believing anything they see on the news that counters their own views anymore. The left wing people see the right-wing crazies falling for these shitty rags but can't convince them otherwise, because the right thinks the left are falling for the "mainstream" news. Both sides are thinking "wake up sheeple" to the other side, except the left is usually on the side of logic and reason while the extreme right are kind of just wallowing in their own bullshit. But the problem is, both sides' camps look like the unadulterated truth to themselves.

It's impossible to argue reason with anyone from the extreme right because "that's what THEY want you to think" is a bulldozer catch-all "argument" that works against anything you say, because it doesn't have to engage with anything to feel convincing to anyone who says it.

It's horrifying.

Jasup

Far right press is globalized and that is the reason it makes a difference.
Breitbart is popular as ClosingADoor showed, for some that equals reputable. But the real impact comes from Breitbart adding to the variety of far right "news" sources in Europe. The more sources echo the same sentiments, the more likely people are going to believe it.

If it's just one site spouting bullshit, many can dismiss it easily as other sites disagree. But if there are several sources for the same information, you are more likely to be convinced.

Jasup

I've never heard that term before but I've heard of the sentiment. You see a lot of people just not believing anything they see on the news that counters their own views anymore. The left wing people see the right-wing crazies falling for these shitty rags but can't convince them otherwise, because the right thinks the left are falling for the "mainstream" news. Both sides are thinking "wake up sheeple" to the other side, except the left is usually on the side of logic and reason while the extreme right are kind of just wallowing in their own bullshit. But the problem is, both sides' camps look like the unadulterated truth to themselves.

It's impossible to argue reason with anyone from the extreme right because "that's what THEY want you to think" is a bulldozer catch-all "argument" that works against anything you say, because it doesn't have to engage with anything to feel convincing to anyone who says it.

It's horrifying.
It really is diheartening.

As a personal anecdote I remember how hard it was to convince some eurosceptics that one april fools article was indeed april fools. It was about a supposed new EU regulation which made no sense. It took some time to point out that the European Commissioner quoted was called "A. Prille" and it was posted on the 1st of April on just one website that was not even a news site but a homepage of a schlager radio station. And even then some of the replies I got were in line of: "well it might be an April fools but that doesn't mean it couldn't be true!"

If you're predisposed to believe something, you really believe almost anything that confirms your predisposition.

[edit] sorry for the double post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom