• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brendan Fraser sure is looking good these days

bitbydeath

More to love?

images

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I think it's mostly really well done makeup and prosthetic work. Brenden Fraser has certainly gained weight during his hiatus, but not as much as seen from this film.

I believe this is his normal appearance currently:

K9tZl9d.png

I wish him nothing but the best. He's had a horrifically difficult life over the past 20 years, and despite all his hardships, he's remained an incredibly sweet gentleman through it all.

God bless you, Mr Fraser. Be well! ❤️

Last edited:

Star-Lord

I will literally track down and beat the shit out of anyone who dares put this man down after everything he's been through. Say what you will about the quality of his films overall, but the man himself is Hollywood royalty. I have so much love and respect for him, and wish him all the best.

Airbus Jr

Banned
He look out of shape man that might not be good for his health

Dude need more exercise

Last edited:

Skyfox

Hope he does an action comedy soon and pays for some hardcore trainers and dieticians. Poor bast

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Of all the actors in Hollywood I have the most sympathy for Brenden Frasier. That dude has had one of the worst careers behind the scenes than anyone that I have heard of without there being crimes or cancer involved. Guy got the shortest as fuck end of the stick almost from the start.

I constantly root for the guy.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

One of the best charismatic adventure movie stars of all time. A tough field when your competition is the likes of Robin Williams, William Shatner, Nic Cage, and David Bowie.

Of all the actors in Hollywood I have the most sympathy for Brenden Frasier. That dude has had one of the worst careers behind the scenes than anyone that I have heard of without there being crimes or cancer involved. Guy got the shortest as fuck end of the stick almost from the start.

I constantly root for the guy.
What happened behind the scenes?

NahaNago

From the goalcast website:

"The overwhelming demands of being a Hollywood hero triggered a number of health issues for Brendan. He had to get two laminectomies, a knee replacement, several procedures for his back, surgery for his spinal pads, and even had to get his vocal cord replaced at one point.

If that wasn’t enough, he and his wife of fourteen years, Afton Smith, divorced in 2007. His mother passed away from cancer in late 2016. He came upon many financial difficulties while on his forced sabbatical from Hollywood. "

He was also molested or assaulted by some hollywood exec and I think that got him blacklisted when he spoke out against it, from what I read in the article.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Don't make fun of people for being overweight. Most know they have an issue, and there is either a lack of control or an inability on their part to fix it. Encourage them to improve. Unless they are the delusional fat is beautiful people....then shame them.

Raven117

Don't make fun of people for being overweight. Most know they have an issue, and there is either a lack of control or an inability on their part to fix it. Encourage them to improve. Unless they are the delusional fat is beautiful people....then shame them.
Who are you talking to? Strange post

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I’ve always loved Brendan. School Ties, with Honor, The Mummy, Airheads, Encino Man. He’s been in tons of great stuff. Sure he made some stinkers along the way too but yeah I’ve always loved his work. He was great in the first season of Condor too which is a show everyone should check out as it’s great.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This is seriously a thread?
bitbydeath bitbydeath is your life so shitty that you have to do this kind of stuff to feel better? And I'm sure you look like Brad Pitt right?

But yeah if anyone is wondering, it is a suit just like Tom Hanks for Elvis.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
His old stuff are hilarious.

I put him in the same mould as Michael Keaton and Bruce Campbell. Their roles are often quirky or have them ringing off witty lines.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Such a strange career. His breakout role in Encino Man was not your typical breakout, as he played a doddering caveman. That was a Paulie Shore star vehicle originally. Then he turned into one of the all-time great action guys with the Mummy franchise. And then just as soon as that rise, he fell off the face of the earth. I've seen all the documentaries of his career, but it's still baffling. I wish him all the best. He's supposed to be one of those genuinely nice dudes.

Batiman

Banned
Was the mummy that big of a movie? Everyone says he was a huge action star. Was he really? Unless the mummy was way bigger than I thought….

Happy for him because he always seemed like a good man that got fucked by Hollywood

Was the mummy that big of a movie? Everyone says he was a huge action star. Was he really? Unless the mummy was way bigger than I thought….

Happy for him because he always seemed like a good man that got fucked by Hollywood

It spawned two direct movie sequels and had the Scorpion King (which spawned it's own series of crappy movies) spun off of it. Plus a cartoon show iirc.
I dunno how much profit it generated as a franchise, but it was pretty big.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It spawned two direct movie sequels and had the Scorpion King (which spawned it's own series of crappy movies) spun off of it. Plus a cartoon show iirc.
I dunno how much profit it generated as a franchise, but it was pretty big.
Best ride in universal studios also. Mummy rollercoaster legit.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I wish him all the good fortune that he deserves. Great actor. Underrated. He should have been as famous as the rock.

RAÏSanÏa

Aronofsky, A24, Fraser and an enigmatic title with a photo/description.
Premiering early September. So haute. Fomalhaut-haut-haut.

Brendan Fraser has ignited a debate about the use of fat suits in movies after the first images from The Whale appeared online.
The hugely popular actor is set to star in Darren Aronofsky's film as a 600-pound man who wants to reconnect with his 17-year-old daughter, played by Sadie Sink (Stranger Things).

Fraser had previously detailed what to expect in The Whale. After confirming that the movie was "already in the can" in June 2021, he told Newsweek: "The wardrobe and costume was extensive, seamless, cumbersome.

"This is certainly far removed from anything I've ever done but not to be coy, I haven't seen any of it yet, but I do know it's going to make a lasting impression," Fraser said. Despite being in post-production for over a year, Fraser admitted he had to be a "little secretive" about the movie at that time, but said he was looking forward to sharing more details at a later date.

Aesius

bitbydeath bitbydeath is your life so shitty that you have to do this kind of stuff to feel better? And I'm sure you look like Brad Pitt right?

"So and so sure is looking good these days" is a GAF "meme" going back many many years for posting pics of celebs when they look shockingly different than how most people remember them. And Fraser is wearing a fat suit/prosthetics. It's not like he really weighs 600 lbs.

bitbydeath

Hold back killer, this thread isn’t that serious.

nkarafo

Is there a TLDR version of Brendan's hardships people in this thread mention?

Edit: Nevermind, it's already posted, i got hasty.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yeah he was definitely a leading man for a few years there, but the shit that happened to him sort of cut it off just as he was taking off

Kazza

Despite his financial difficulties I'm sure the dude must have $10k in the bank to get some hair transplants. That, along with a year of exercise, and he'd actually be back to looking really good again.

Nobody_Important

His wife of 10 years divorced him awhile back when he was still a relatively big name in the industry taking as much as she could from him financially and also accused him of fraud when he claimed he couldn't afford the money the court ordered him to pay his ex-wife. He was forced by the court to pay her something like 50k a month for like 8 years or until she remarried. (Guess who didn't get remarried btw) Then on top of THAT he had to pay 25k a month in child support. It was like 900k a year according to Fraser. That combined with his almost immediate fall from the A-list right after that meant that he was basically broke and being forced to pay his ex-wife a shitload of money he didn't have. So he ended up having to take whatever work he could get meaning he ended up in a lot of C and D list garbage which made his stock in Hollywood fall that much more. She basically mugged him for all he was worth and he never recovered from it.

But there for a bit during the first 2 Mummy movies everyone thought he was gonna be one of the next "Guys" in Hollywood. A headliner in multiple films. Kind of like what Chris Pratt has been. meaning exposure and millions in the bank. It never happened though. So to go from that to everything I just said just fucking sucks. Especially considering that by all accounts he is a good dude behind the scenes who people loved working with.

I feel horrible for the guy. Victim of a broken system.

Yes it really was. That movie put him on the map in a huge way. I have seen multiple interviews with co-stars, directors, and producers over the years that said they had him pegged as the next big male star in Hollywood. He was funny, he could act, he was attractive, and he was great behind the scenes with the cast. He ticked all the boxes.

Then he just kinda got fucked. Like I said. Victim of a broken system.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Always love Brendan. Never knew he's been through so much though.

He's part of my childhood with films like The Mummy and Blast From the Past.

I'll give this new film a watch.
Yeah, I had been wondering where he was at when I had seem him in that show where he is a robot and was like what happened to this guy when I saw his appearance. I guess those spinal surgeries really messed him up.

TheMan

I had no idea this was aranofsky’s next project. Really excited to see how this turns out (still want to see his robocop reboot come out some day)

Nobody_Important

So physical health issues and divorce basically.
The divorce hurt him more than anything. It made him financially desperate which means he had to take parts in shit films in order to keep up with the court ordered payments. Which sunk his career further.

If you go to his Wiki page and see the stuff he was in from mid-2006 onwards and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
Top Bottom