• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Yes, watch some of the old first reveal videos (non-CGI) and compare them to what actually hit store shelves - it's like a completely different game. But yeah, even if you had all humans the game was insanely tough for one of the sides on EVERY map - there was always some point where attack or defense got stopped dead. And that was no fun, of course.

charsace

This game was a huge disappointment. I like it, but there are just some straight up dumb things. The gun ratings don't seem to accurate, no party system, the lag and worst of all the levels and gameplay aren't designed to take advantage of the free running. You really don't have to use it and there isn't any point to it because of the way objectives work. And there are quite a few objectives that favor one team over the other. And the shooting in this isn't that good.

I had a lot of fun with this about a month ago on the 360. Just played with randoms and didn't focus on chat or anything but I was able to go through the entire campaign with at least 2 other people. Not saying it's for everyone, but take the haters with a grain of salt. Free DLC this weekend (apparently) too with achievements if you're into that sort of thing.

Most disappointing game of 2011 and the worst game purchase I have made in a long time. So many things wrong with Brink, it hurts that is turned out that way. I had a lot of expectations and hope for Brink to be a solid, fun FPS and it is neither.

Sanic

This should have been out weeks ago, not only because they said it would be, but the longer the wait, the less impact it will have, and I wasn't expecting much of one in the first place.

desu

Pandoracell said:
This should have been out weeks ago, not only because they said it would be, but the longer the wait, the less impact it will have, and I wasn't expecting much of one in the first place.

I am sure they could have released it for pc ages ago, but console certification takes long as usual.

legbone

Darkshier said:
Most disappointing game of 2011 and the worst game purchase I have made in a long time. So many things wrong with Brink, it hurts that is turned out that way. I had a lot of expectations and hope for Brink to be a solid, fun FPS and it is neither.

i agree, it was my biggest letdown of the year. don't get me wrong, i love the game or at least the idea of the game. damn thing was broken out of the gate. it had so much potential but was squandered due to terrible netcode and the fact that you couldn't find games with more than 4 humans and crap loads of bots. at least that was my experience. had this thing worked well and matchmade with some common sense it could have been a contender. alas, it never worked right so i sold it back two months after i bought it. i never sell my games btw.

derFeef

The maps for the Agents of Change DLC look pretty rad from the screenshots. I will check it out again for sure.

6a0b995a.jpg

More here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/01/brink-agents-of-change-has-lonely-screens/

Darkshier said:
Guess you didn't play homefront, because they are at least at a tie :p

DarkKyo

Darkshier said:
Was it an even worse disappointment than APB? Lol

legbone said:
i agree, it was my biggest letdown of the year. don't get me wrong, i love the game or at least the idea of the game. damn thing was broken out of the gate. it had so much potential but was squandered due to terrible netcode and the fact that you couldn't find games with more than 4 humans and crap loads of bots. at least that was my experience. had this thing worked well and matchmade with some common sense it could have been a contender. alas, it never worked right so i sold it back two months after i bought it. i never sell my games btw.
This. Truly the biggest gaming disappointment of the year. So many should-have-been-good ideas, such miserable execution.

Oh Brink. What happened?

kevinski

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I think Splash Damage has thoroughly disabused me of the notion that they'll ever make a multiplayer game as good as Wolfenstein's.

The saddest part about this is that W:ET wasn't even as good as RtCW, and Nerve did the multi-player in that. Splash Damage's releases have consistently gotten worse as time went on, which is a shame, because Splash Damage seems to be the only company intent on continuing this style of multi-player. TF2 is close, but it still doesn't have the variety of objectives that RtCW had.

FLEABttn

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
Guess you didn't play homefront, because they are at least at a tie :p

No way, the multi-player in Homefront at least paired you with people. That in and of itself means something.

faridmon

Maybe I should get teh game now. Its dirt cheap and it seems that the patch fixed lot of things. I really hope The online isn't dire.

Man, I wish this game was as good as they pitched it. Already sold it a while ago and I don't think I could bring myself to get it again.

Deadbeat

Banned
If they want to save this game on PC there needs to be a free weekend. Steam just gave a free weekend to that garbage Dino D Day game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
On the 360 SKU have they added an option to only be put in human-only games?

I just got the game for the first time from the Amazon sale last week. Played about 3 levels single player last night and loved it. Solid frame rate, great team play, interesting levels... don't know what all the complaints were about gameplay-wise. I've heard online was busted at launch on the 360, but I'm assuming that is fixed now?

Teknoman

Deadbeat said:
If they want to save this game on PC there needs to be a free weekend. Steam just gave a free weekend to that garbage Dino D Day game.

Seriously. Its just got too many good ideas to just die like this. Even while playing the Battlefield 3 Alpha (Metro map) I wished I could just slide down the escalator rails lol.

Jsunu

Banned
Teknoman said:
Seriously. Its just got too many good ideas to just die like this. Even while playing the Battlefield 3 Alpha (Metro map) I wished I could just slide down the escalator rails lol.

I honestly felt that the sliding over obstacles parts were actually better in bf3 alpha than in brink. The parkour portion of the game felt really sticky and worthless.

Also for some reason the game runs like shit :(

Keasar

Teknoman said:
You thought of that too?
*brofists*

Teknoman

Jsunu said:
I honestly felt that the sliding over obstacles parts were actually better in bf3 alpha than in brink. The parkour portion of the game felt really sticky and worthless.

Also for some reason the game runs like shit :(

Performance has improved since the last few patches, and the grid lines have gone away for Radeon users...but the parkour stuff only really shines as a light body/when you need to escape or find a high spot to shoot from.

Keasar said:
You thought of that too?
*brofists*

Whats funny is that sometimes even in BC2, its better to think like brink.

Parkour would be better if it were more viable. It's pretty exciting to slide around a corner and take some guys out.

Unfortunately, the winning tactic is still: light character + SMG + left click + left/right strafing

just read that the DLC is up but only on the console and not on xbox.com

under Game Marketplace > Titles A-Z > B > Brink > Extras > DLC

Decided to pop Brink back in (360) and start a new character. Played campaign against bots for like 2 hours. Smiles and cries. I'm excited to download the update and try the dlc.

I'd love to read a post-mortem on Brink's development, especially on the technical end where it appears everything fell apart. The lighting, environments & character models in this game are gorgeous... when they're not dynamically de-rezzing / tearing / stuttering in front of your eyes.

I mean, even the pre-recorded attract video tears like crazy.

Sanic

DLC is up on Steam now, but clicking on it takes you back to the main page of the store. Should be available soon.

Teknoman

AlmostMilk said:
It's up. All I can say is I am glad it was free because it is very disappointing.

You can say more :p Why is it disappointing? Same old stuff as the base game? Ugly maps? Unbalanced?

blazinglazers said:
Decided to pop Brink back in (360) and start a new character. Played campaign against bots for like 2 hours. Smiles and cries. I'm excited to download the update and try the dlc.

I'd love to read a post-mortem on Brink's development, especially on the technical end where it appears everything fell apart. The lighting, environments & character models in this game are gorgeous... when they're not dynamically de-rezzing / tearing / stuttering in front of your eyes.

I mean, even the pre-recorded attract video tears like crazy.
I always laugh when I think about the "day 1" patch for the game that supposedly mitigated those issues. I shudder to think what Brink looked like before that patch.

Teknoman said:
You can say more :p Why is it disappointing? Same old stuff as the base game? Ugly maps? Unbalanced?
Exactly. This was the only thing that could have redeemed this game but it was just the same old crap again.

Top Bottom