• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broforce skipping XBO due to Parity Clause, and "deal they couldn't refuse" w/ Sony

SerTapTap

Gamingbolt has the story:

“Mostly because Sony reached out to us with a deal we couldn’t reasonably refuse,” Creative Director Evan Greenwood said to GamingBolt. But even if they want to launch on the Xbox One, they can’t due to the parity clause. “As far as I know Microsoft has a clause in their contract where they won’t accept an indie game if it launches on Xbox after Playstation.”

Sounds like this was more on the developer than Devolver, but it still seems significant to me that some Devolver games will be skipping Xbox One, they're one of the biggest indie publishers. Broforce is also pretty popular and already on Steam, it seems there's a real risk of "everywhere but Xbox" being a common release target if the Parity clause continues.

Edit: Since it's so frequently misunderstood by new posters, I'll go ahead and point out that the dev is not incorrect in his assumption of the parity clause. The clause has been public knowledge for over a year and has explicitly been defended by Phil Spencer.

The way it works is developers must give release date and feature parity for multiplatform releases or release on Xbox first, so releasing on PS first de facto excludes you from releasing on ID@Xbox, the only self-publishing option available on Xbox One. There are case-by-case exceptions for unknown, almost certain NDA reasons, which is how some games like Warframe have come to the platform.

“Mostly because Sony reached out to us with a deal we couldn’t reasonably refuse,”

Are you the parity clause is the only reason why?

Either way, more evidence that clause HASSS to go.

The reasons for keeping it are all dumb and the reasons to get rid of it are all good

SerTapTap

Are you the parity clause is the only reason why?

Either way, more evidence that clause HASSS to go.

He explicitly calls out the parity clause. Sony has timed exclusivity for pub-fund games, but they've openly expressed that they do not have any equivalent to the parity clause. Seems more like they have a deal with Sony so they hit there first (whether by contract or by ease who knows), and Microsoft's policies prevent them regardless of what deal they made with Sony.

As long as Sony reaches out first and Xbox blocks by default, they basically get free exclusivity handed to them.

RPGam3r

I would rather play these on my X1 over my PS4 so I can rake in more achievements. Need to keep competitive on that leader board!

Whoever thought handcuffing indie developers was a great idea should be fired. The fact that it's still around after all this backlash is a massive failure on MS' part.

Begaria

The indie parity clause never made sense to begin with, but makes even less sense considering Microsoft has made exceptions to it (i.e. Outlast). If you make exceptions to the rule, and will likely do so again in the future, why even have the rule in the first place?

Well except that there have been multiple instances in which the parity clause has been abandoned in favor of bringing a game to the Xbox One. Seems like this dev didn't even negotiate with MS.

If it was Microsoft who offered them "a deal they couldn't reasonably refuse", what's the probability that the thread title would contain the word "moneyhat" instead and that the conversation would be focused on that?

Nemesis_

Parity clause seems so weirdly backwards and it seems so against Phils vision for the brand when compared to all the other decisions he's made or reversed.

Is it maybe out of good faith for those who have signed into an ID@Xbox contract already under such stipulations? Needs to be changed regardless.

The Parity clause is such a dumb idea.

You can force something like that down developers throats when you are the place to be for indies, dominating in sales and mindshare. This isnt 2007. The Xbox 1 isnt the Xbox 360.

If it was Microsoft who offered them "a deal they couldn't reasonably refuse", what's the probability that the thread title would contain the word "moneyhat" instead and that the conversation would be focused on that?

100%.

Uhh, the parity clause is a problem for them, but they have a deal with Sony where they can't release both versions at the same time or something? it's OK to have an exclusive deal with Sony to launch on their system first, but not to have a clause to prevent games coming out after on the Xbox one?

It's a stupid rule, but these guys should have just released the game on both at the same time? I'm confused as to what their problem is.

when is it coming to ps4 I've been waiting for this since PAX EAST last year!

It's a stupid rule, but these guys should have just released the game on both at the same time? I'm confused as to what their problem is.

Small developers often don't have the manpower to launch on multiple platforms at once. And Sony offers deals to small devs like the Pub Fund, giving them an advance on royalties to help pay for their development and self-publishing. When you have one platform holder doing stuff like that, and another platform holder doing stuff like the parity clause, it becomes a no-brainer.

That Microsoft clause sure helps make Xbox One owners feel like first-class citizens alright.

I don't understand how Microsoft can be so agile and flexible when it comes to certain things that harm their business but so blind and arrogantly stupid when it comes to others.

Uhh, the parity clause is a problem for them, but they have a deal with Sony where they can't release both versions at the same time or something? it's OK to have an exclusive deal with Sony to launch on their system first, but not to have a clause to prevent games coming out after on the Xbox one?

indie devs don't always have the manpower to do simultaneous releases

the clause is fucking stupid. period.

ElNino

He explicitly calls out the parity clause. Sony has timed exclusivity for pub-fund games, but they've openly expressed that they do not have any equivalent to the parity clause. Seems more like they have a deal with Sony so they hit there first (whether by contract or by ease who knows), and Microsoft's policies prevent them regardless of what deal they made with Sony.

As long as Sony reaches out first and Xbox blocks by default, they basically get free exclusivity handed to them.
This comment,
“As far as I know Microsoft has a clause in their contract where they won’t accept an indie game if it launches on Xbox after Playstation.”
Implies that they haven't even discussed bringing the game to Xbox becuase they have a deal with Sony that would prevent it anyways. We have heard from the MS indie program that the clause is not a blanket one, and that you just need to talk to them about it.

That being said, the clause should probably go anyways.

Alx

“As far as I know Microsoft has a clause in their contract where they won’t accept an indie game if it launches on Xbox after Playstation.”

It's clearly not a rule set in stone. See Warframe, for example.

LAA

Good I'm glad it's skipping it.
It needs more of this to put pressure on MS to drop it. I'm glad devs aren't backing down either and going to MS first or whatever so they can launch on PS later. The whole thing's bull. Sadly even if they drop it, if MS is "winning" next gen, I think they'll just add some crap like this again.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Microsoft is in no position to try and throw their weight around with a parity clause. I expect them to throw in the towel and reverse their silly policy

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can't they just ask for an exception? Contrast came to the XBO after it was released on the PS4.

Am I the only one who thinks that having "exceptions" is more fucked up then when the parity clause is enforced for everybody equally. At least when it's enforced for everybody it's fair game for all. I mean you know what happens if you don't release it on the XBO at the same time. But now some can get exceptions, but based on what? The whole situation is just iffy imo.

Why are people bringing up pub fund? Pretty sure all of these Devolver games are self-funded.

It's not necessarily Pub Fund, but maybe Sony offered them big promotional deal or they are going to feature the game on PS+. Either way, Pub Fund is an example of things Sony is doing good for indie developers and the Parity Clause is an example of something that's bad for them.

Top Bottom