• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure! [iPad/Ouya Act One out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibuki

Banned
Not here either, though I was a slacker backer and changed my backer email address, which might lead to complications. I've been receiving email updates though so hopefully everything works out fine.

I am in the same exact situation. The e-mail was sitting in the e-mail I initially used on PayPal. I would contact support if you don't have access to your original e-mail.

R.I.P

Played a bit of both characters stories. Puzzles are simple so far, but the presentation is absolutely amazing and both stories seem interesting so far.

I played for 20 minutes and all I can tell is that videos don't do justice to the slick visuals.
The score is also phenomenal, I'm so glad Peter McConnell did it.

Haunted

There's some layering issues (necks being seen through the face in cutscenes, Vella going through furniture), but I'm happy to report that it seems really stable and polished so far. Hopefully mostly little things like that they'll be working to squash in the next weeks.

The scene transitions for Shay's first puzzle line seem pretty abrupt, I can see how that would be confusing/weird for players who didn't know about the backstory.

But other than that, the game itself is really nice so far, beautiful production values. Art, environment, voice acting, music(!), writing, all top notch.

BearPawB

Banned
Played maybe 30 minutes of Shay and 10 minutes of Vela.

Both are absolutely amazing in even that short amount of time.

The game looks and sounds stunning.

From the Steam page (lol):

broken-age-steamsrbme.png

Hackbert

ah fun fact : i found the mail in the spam section. with no reply : broken age act 1 as the topic or so. had to go to the humble bundle shop, from there login to steam and than my account was given the key automatically without entering it by hand

Polk

I love the artstyle, it's amazing. Even more amazing I didn't watch any documentary in case of spoilers so it's brand new to me.

Like the sense of humor of both stories so far (~15 minutes each).

Vitet

I was waiting for the e-mail but I saw on Twitter it isn't necessary.

You can just go to your Humble Bundle account, and add the game on the "Claim past purchases" section

Vert boil

Has the new trailer gone up publicly yet?

Yep.

Vella Trailer

http://www.doublefine.com/news/comm...r_backers_now_preorders_open_for_non-backers/
Double Fine Productions today announced that Act1 of Broken Age, the first graphic adventure game led by Tim Schafer in 16 years, will release on January 28 for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Preorders are open now via Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/232790/

The Act 2 conclusion of Broken Age will ship later this year as a free update for all owners of the game. In the future, the game will also ship for Ouya, iOS, and Android.

Broken Age tells the story of Vella Tartine and Shay Volta, two teenagers in strangely similar situations but radically different worlds. The player can freely switch between their stories, helping them take control of their own lives and dealing with the unexpected adventures that follow.

The development of Broken Age began began two years ago in a historic, record-breaking Kickstarter campaign—and Act 1 of the game is nearly here, in all its beautiful, 2D, hand-painted glory, with an original orchestral soundtrack and an all-star vocal cast starring Elijah Wood, Jack Black, Wil Wheaton, Jennifer Hale, Pendleton Ward, Masasa Moyo, and many more.

“It’s been sixteen years since I’ve made an adventure game, almost twenty years since I’ve made a point-and-click, and just shy of two years since I dared the internet to force me to make one,” said Double Fine president and Broken Age writer/designer Tim Schafer. “Coming back to the genre has been like finding an old jacket in a box in your garage that you haven’t worn in twenty years, but once you shake the dust off and put it on you realize it’s an amazing jacket and it still fits, and once you patch the holes in the pockets it could easily take a spot in your main jacket rotation.”

“Oh, and also, in one of the pockets was three and a half million dollars,” Schafer added.

Teppic

Got a black screen twice after receiving the second star chart.

Edit: Same thing the third time. I now sure I can get any further.

Edit2: found a workaround.

E-phonk

Banned
played about 20-30 minutes of each storyline, liked it so far. Maybe a bit easy, and also a bit confusing transitions being dropped into the story.
The dialog gave me a grim fandango vibe, which is ofcourse great.

Can't wait to experience more

i backed this for the iOS version. now all i've been given is a key to a steam version (which i'm not sure i have a pc or mac that can actually run it). so.... when do i get the iOS version that i paid for?

Haunted

“It’s been sixteen years since I’ve made an adventure game, almost twenty years since I’ve made a point-and-click, and just shy of two years since I dared the internet to force me to make one,” said Double Fine president and Broken Age writer/designer Tim Schafer. “Coming back to the genre has been like finding an old jacket in a box in your garage that you haven’t worn in twenty years, but once you shake the dust off and put it on you realize it’s an amazing jacket and it still fits, and once you patch the holes in the pockets it could easily take a spot in your main jacket rotation.”

“Oh, and also, in one of the pockets was three and a half million dollars,” Schafer added.
:lol

I'll just laugh at this funny bit of public writing instead of spoiling one of the (already) many scenes which made me laugh in the game. :D

Played it for a bit and I have a very good first impression! Some of the art is just stunnung and the theme is just amazing.

I think the game is a bit too twee personally. So far anyway

Yeah, a bit much sugar coating so far. And man, Shay's friends are annoying, but I guess that's intentional. I would've gone mental long ago in Shay's place.

Zafir

i backed this for the iOS version. now all i've been given is a key to a steam version (which i'm not sure i have a pc or mac that can actually run it). so.... when do i get the iOS version that i paid for?
iOS version isn't out yet. Probably coming when/after the full game is released.

DieH@rd

Banned
In surround sound, some effects are missing, and in stereo mode, music is too loud.

Just arrived in cloud city, game looks awesome.

Gazoinks

Hour so far. Awesome! Looks and sounds gorgeous, the writing is funny and exudes Double Fine charm. Puzzles are light so far, but I'm still early on. Lived up to my expectations so far!

Acosta

This art is soooo amazing. Lovely.

I found some minor problems, I think...

Spoiler of the very beginning of Vella

I didn't get a proper explanation of what that day was, I think I missed something, and I got a logic problem where I got a cupcake without picking one.

And about Vella story:

I find hilarious how being eaten is such an honor that people can't believe you escaped

eXistor

Downloading now! Very excited, but I think I'm gonna hold off for a few more days until the weekend for maximum enjoyment. I'm gonna start it up when it's done downloading and revel in its beauty for a bit.

Cartman86

Banned

Well the steam version you are getting now was part of the backer beta reward, so I would assume on the 28th when it is officially released.

No spoilers please. Waiting to play it later today.

Spoilers.
The game looks really gorgeous.

Actual maybe light spoilers about a character, not regarding any plot point or puzzle though.
And it's so nice to be able to play as a mixed race (I humbly assume, based upon the physical characteristics of the mother and father; I have no idea if these characters are supposed to human beings, they do look and sound and act like us!) lady in a video game in 2014 for a goddamn change. First thing my partner pointed out when she saw me load up the game.

Just looked at the credits, I guess I'm not in them because I was a slacker backer :(

But for people who are in the credits, you can scroll them up and down using the arrow keys, AND if you start typing your name it'll underline it in red.

Parsnip

The key features list on steam store page is pretty great.

Installing...
Figures that my net is slow as hell right now.

Well, I was going to sleep anyway, too tired to play any today.

The RPS preview mentioned the controls and the way they're described sounds exactly like any old SCUMM game (cursor changes, inventory button).

They had a problem with it, I think it'd feel just like one of the old games and I'd be completely fine with it. Can anyone clarify? Can't play for another half day or so.

aravuus

Just looked at the credits, I guess I'm not in them because I was a slacker backer :(

But for people who are in the credits, you can scroll them up and down using the arrow keys, AND if you start typing your name it'll underline it in red.

Aww man, I'm not there either! How much did you have to pledge to get your name in the credits?

Gazoinks

The RPS preview mentioned the controls and the way they're described sounds exactly like any old SCUMM game (cursor changes, inventory button).

They had a problem with it, I think it'd feel just like one of the old games and I'd be completely fine with it. Can anyone clarify? Can't play for another half day or so.

Yup, plays just like a Scumm game. Even has a cross-shaped cursor. The inventory's accessed with a button in the corner of the screen.

inm8num2

I was a kickstarter backer and I'm not in there either.

edit - looks like that was for $100+ backers.

-griffy-

Banned

This is access to the beta, which is part of the backer rewards. I presume you will get access to the iOS version when the full game is completed and released.

Haunted

It's not a big deal, but the interactable cursor design (weird circle thingie instead of classic blinking cursor) and having the inventory a cursor movement and a click away are a bit weird, I agree with RPS there.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is truly something so far. And this engine is incredible, and I hope more games get made with it, it's just so seamless and immersive. The only nitpick I have is that I wished the player sprite moved at the same framerate as the rest of the world seemingly does, but that's nothing much to complain about.

inm8num2

I'm about 1 hour 15 minutes in, and I'm totally pleased.

This is what I imagined adventures to become many years ago, in terms of the animation style using hand-drawn art. I'm not a 3D hater and think 3D has worked well in many adventures, but this game is definitely old-school in its presentation and design.

Feels good, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom