• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure! [iPad/Ouya Act One out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

The art and production in general are really good. I enjoy the writing too. But it seems a bit... short? I dunno how long Act 1 is supposed to be, but I played about 90 minutes of the boy's story, and after something happens, it changes over to the start of the girl's story automatically. Are we looking at a 3 hour chunk of the game here? Or is there more after I complete the girl's story? No story spoilers please.

Really enjoying it so far. Haven't had no problems so far (well, a line might have been cut short, but not sure) Wasn't too hyped about the art direction but seeing it in motion and playing it now it looks absolutely stunning.

Only annoyed by not being able to skip dialogue line by line.

BearPawB

Banned
It's not a big deal, but the interactable cursor design (weird circle thingie instead of classic blinking cursor) and having the inventory a cursor movement and a click away are a bit weird, I agree with RPS there.

I thought it was fairly intuitive........it's kind of how a lot of these games work

Miker

Really enjoying it so far. Haven't had no problems so far (well, a line might have been cut short, but not sure) Wasn't too hyped about the art direction but seeing it in motion and playing it now it looks absolutely stunning.

Only annoyed by not being able to skip dialogue line by line.

I haven't played the game yet, but it'd be cool if they added this and bound it to period on the keyboard, just like SCUMM :3

duckroll

I haven't played the game yet, but it'd be cool if they added this and bound it to period on the keyboard, just like SCUMM :3

I think the problem is that they're not scripted as actual lines, but rather as sequenced cutscenes. It might be a technical limitation based on how they produced the content.

adg1034

FYI: Steam just updated Broken Age for me. No patch notes yet, and I don't remember what the old version number used to be, but you might want to update, even if you're not seeing any issues.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Still no luck with my key on humble or via email, double fine doesn't seem to be too active on their forums or twitter so I guess i'm in for a long haul wait.

BearPawB

Banned
Still no luck with my key on humble or via email, double fine doesn't seem to be too active on their forums or twitter so I guess i'm in for a long haul wait.

On the humble store did you expand out the "past purchases" little cross thing in your library? It wasn't immediately clear i had to do that.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Dude.....my spoon is talking to me, man.

Instro

The art and production in general are really good. I enjoy the writing too. But it seems a bit... short? I dunno how long Act 1 is supposed to be, but I played about 90 minutes of the boy's story, and after something happens, it changes over to the start of the girl's story automatically. Are we looking at a 3 hour chunk of the game here? Or is there more after I complete the girl's story? No story spoilers please.

No idea, but given Tim's comments in the documentary about how long he thinks the game should be, I'd be inclined to think part 1 is longer than 3 hours.

2590437-bareview.png

It's really nice.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
On the humble store did you expand out the "past purchases" little cross thing in your library? It wasn't immediately clear i had to do that.

I claimed my code there over the weekend and up until I guess this morning I had "Broken Age $15 Tier" on my list of Widget purchases. Now, the link to activate the key doesn't work, the key does not show up in my "past purchases" drop down, the key reclaimer email sends me everything except Broken Age and if I revisit the key page itself in my browser's history it tells me it can't find the key.

I've really done everything I can, which is why I've been hoping for more official word besides "Wait for an email" that I have no idea if i'm going to see or not.

BearPawB

Banned
You gonna get served.
NO FORMAL REVIEWS

you rebel

They took away the embargo

"Per a tweet from Kotaku editor Stephen Totilo: “There is no longer a Broken Age review embargo, Double Fine now says. Go, reviewers, go!”

Earlier today, it was announced that the game’s first-act was set to arrive into the hands of Kickstarter backers today, bu backers with blogs or who are members of the press were unable to write about it until two weeks after launch. You read the original story below."

What does the letterbox mode in the options do and what should I set it to?
Both modes look wrong. It looks like horizontal makes the game fullscreen by cutting screenspace on the top and the bottom. Was the game designed for 4:3?

Purkake4

Banned
They took away the embargo

"Per a tweet from Kotaku editor Stephen Totilo: “There is no longer a Broken Age review embargo, Double Fine now says. Go, reviewers, go!”

Earlier today, it was announced that the game’s first-act was set to arrive into the hands of Kickstarter backers today, bu backers with blogs or who are members of the press were unable to write about it until two weeks after launch. You read the original story below."
Interesting.

Thank you based Remo?

Gazoinks

So how broken are things? Worth jumping in now or should I wait until the formal release?

There are some minor visual issues, but otherwise it's solid. Some people have experienced crashes. It's only a few weeks from release, so it basically just needs some final polish passes, nothing seems seriously broken.

inky

I claimed my code there over the weekend and up until I guess this morning I had "Broken Age $15 Tier" on my list of Widget purchases. Now, the link to activate the key doesn't work, the key does not show up in my "past purchases" drop down, the key reclaimer email sends me everything except Broken Age and if I revisit the key page itself in my browser's history it tells me it can't find the key.

I've really done everything I can, which is why I've been hoping for more official word besides "Wait for an email" that I have no idea if i'm going to see or not.

If it makes you feel any better, I can't even make an account over at HIB site because I don't ever get the verification e-mail. The key resender doesn't send any mail my way either (to just that address, messages to other of my e-mail addresses work just fine) and the key I got previously in preparation for this (which showed the Broken Age tier as well) now takes me to an error page which says the key doesn't exist.

I'm guessing they are just having problems with certain e-mail addresses. Yes, it's annoying. I hope they figure this stuff out soon. Good luck.

Vert boil

Just played through the Shay part, I'll leave the Vella part for tomorrow.

Beautiful game, plenty of laughs.
No technical issues apart from a few occasions where a subtitled line is initially shown in the top right of the screen then it jumps to the correct position.

Just finished Act 1.

Played through Shay to completion first, then all the way through Vella.

Only really got frustrated with the end of Vella's section. Mainly because I thought I had spoken to everyone as much as I could, when that wasn't actually the case.

Very much love the art style and soundtrack. The end twist is interesting. It ends at a good point, even if it is a cliffhanger.

Just finished Act 1.

Played through Shay to completion first, then all the way through Vella.

Only really got frustrated with the end of Vella's section. Mainly because I thought I had spoken to everyone as much as I could, when that wasn't actually the case.

Very much love the art style and soundtrack. The end twist is interesting. It ends at a good point, even if it is a cliffhanger.

Can you tell me how much of playtime you got? i'm not a backer, but i will get the game when it releases to the general public.

Oh, and do you guys knows that part 1 ends exactly at the "half" of the game, or i shouldn't be thinking like that?

The game seems so lovely, and a true tribute to adventure games. can't wait to play it myself!

Can you tell me how much of playtime you got? i'm not a backer, but i will get the game when it releases to the general public.

Oh, and do you guys knows that part 1 ends exactly at the "half" of the game, or i shouldn't be thinking like that?

The game seems so lovely, and a true tribute to adventure games. can't wait to play it myself!

3 - 4 hours, with what felt like an hour of me being really really stupid and not speaking to everyone as much as you could.

It ends quite nicely. It kind of feels like The Walking Dead feels, each episode makes sense on its own. Broken Age could be describe as 4 episodes, where two are released at a time.

To be honest this is only the third point and click adventure game I've ever played. I would love to play all the old Lucasarts adventure games, but they're not exactly easy to get a hold of.

komplanen

Since this is actually a beta, how is Double Fine asking for bug submissions and suggestions? Are there in game reporting tools or what? Not a backer myself, just curious.

louiedog

So is this controller friendly or big screen friendly?

There's no controller support. In the DF forums yesterday some people were asking and it sounded like they'd probably look into controller support when they get around to the Ouya version.

You'll need to use something like xpadder to bind a stick to the cursor or use something like Synergy or Mouse Without Borders for mouse sharing from a laptop on the couch.

AndyD

aka andydumi
There's no controller support. In the DF forums yesterday some people were asking and it sounded like they'd probably look into controller support when they get around to the Ouya version.

You'll need to use something like xpadder to bind a stick to the cursor or use something like Synergy or Mouse Without Borders for mouse sharing from a laptop on the couch.

Bah. Too bad. I was hoping to play this on the big screen.

3 - 4 hours, with what felt like an hour of me being really really stupid and not speaking to everyone as much as you could.

It ends quite nicely. It kind of feels like The Walking Dead feels, each episode makes sense on its own. Broken Age could be describe as 4 episodes, where two are released at a time.

To be honest this is only the third point and click adventure game I've ever played. I would love to play all the old Lucasarts adventure games, but they're not exactly easy to get a hold of.

Thanks! oh 3 hours? great! the full game should probably be around 7 - 8 hours then. quite good for an adventure game.

Oh man, you should totally play the lucasarts adventure games, specially the tim schafer and ron gilbert ones. Grim fandango, full throttle, monkey island 1 & 2 and my favorite, day of the tentacle. all worthy your time!

Peff

lFKJaB3.jpg

Not bad at all given the circumstances. I wonder how many people are waiting for either the official release of act one or the whole game.

epmode

So what's the aspect ratio for this game? It looks like I'm seeing extra screen information when I select the option to put bars on the left and right. Letting the game naturally fill a 16:10 window results in information being cut off at the top and bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom