• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend on Steam : yes, it is ($15)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yo speaking of Brazen, when can I pre-order that? I could feel the magic that that game will be when screwing around with the beta with friends.

We have total control over updates for Brazen, CQ, Stacking, and The Cave. We'll apply this tech improvement fix to those games as soon as we can. Right now we're focused on BL PC, but when the dust settles, we'll back port to these other games. This has always been our intention, we just finally were able to carve out enough time to write the necessary code :)

Wow, I did not expect you people are planning to actually backport it into the previous games. That would be amazing if it happens!

That actually sounds pretty neat...not sure why that revelation was considered a turn off.

People were expecting a simple hack & slash game, I actually really enjoyed the mechanics both in single player and multiplayer. Their marketing almost only focused on the simple action part. And only their multiplayer trailer and videos showed that there was a RTS element. But it seemed nobody paid too much attention to that, it was also stated there I believe, that the game was originally made as a multiplayer game.

Even though I enjoyed the multiplayer it was not very enjoyable partly due to a small userbase by the time I played but also a very limited amount of options. I think you also were only able to play stuff like 4 versus 4 is you actually had your own created party of 4, so I was never able to try that out.

That actually sounds pretty neat...not sure why that revelation was considered a turn off.

Because EA's marketing tried their best to disguise it as an action game like God of War/Devil May Cry before release. They specifically told Double Fine to never use the word RTS. There was I think only one video prerelease that talked about the multiplayer in any capacity so unless you were following the game incredibly closely you wouldn't know. On top of this, the game does not do a good job explaining itself at all, so a lot of people try to play it like a typical RTS game.

Hence you having a ton of people buying the game thinking it's an action title and Tim Schaefer desperately trying to explain what it is post-release.

Nokterian

The thing that allowed it to happen was people buying Psychonauts on Steam. Seriously. Selling our games through channels that directly benefit the developer (Kickstarter, Steam, Humble Bundle, GOG, etc.) is really the only thing that actually puts money back into the company that we can then reinvest in projects we want to take on but publishers don't.

That's the thing i like getting the games through Digital Download and supporting the developer directly with no involvement of a publisher. Really i am happy to see that this port is going to be fantastic,thank you sir.

antitrop

No, I don't have any preconceived notions about the gameplay either, considering all of the DF games I've played so far have been different from each other.
It's a better game than most people gave it credit for, even with the "RTS".

That said, had the ENTIRE game been what the "first hour" was, it would have been a classic.

It's a better game than most people gave it credit for, even with the "RTS".

That said, had the ENTIRE game been what the "first hour" was, it would have been a classic.

Frankly, it would have been terrible. The melee combat is pretty clunky and is easily the worst flaw in the entire game. Not a gamebreaker, but it's not good enough to warrant an entire game.

wacko

Neo Member
This game needs a MOBA spinoff/expansion. Pieces are allready there and a neverending roster of music legends to add as heroes would be awesome!

antitrop

Frankly, it would have been terrible. The melee combat is pretty clunky and is easily the worst flaw in the entire game. Not a gamebreaker, but it's not good enough to warrant an entire game.
So, you're implying the game was better because of the RTS gameplay?

Interesting opinion.

There's also the assumption that if the entire game was based around that gameplay style, it would have been more polished than what we got in the final product. All the time spent crafting the RTS gameplay would have been spent on the hack-n-slash combat system instead.

So, you're implying the game was better because of the RTS gameplay?

Interesting opinion.

There's also the assumption that if the entire game was based around that gameplay style, it would have been more polished than what we got in the final product. All the time spent crafting the RTS gameplay would have been spent on the hack-n-slash combat system instead.

Yes, I'm implying that the RTS/MOBA gameplay is better than a mediocre action title. It's an incredibly fun balancing act of ordering units around from the sky and using tag team abilities with the units below. You can only bless part of the battlefield at the time with your presence, and your foe has the same limitations. So you are both frantically flying about the battlefield, fighting each other when you cross paths so you can get gank money, buffing your units, ordering around the field, and using tag team attacks to charge into the front lines. It's fantastic.

The game was designed from the beginning to be a primarily multiplayer genre hybrid with a tacked on single player campaign and it shows. You're wanting them to focus on the absolute tiniest part of the experience.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
We own all of our games except for Iron Brigade, which is owned by Microsoft. In a lot of cases, there are still weird publishing agreements floating around owned by other people, even if we own the IP itself. But fortunately, publishing agreements generally expire over time. So sometimes all we have to do to get them back is wait!

I'm going to ask some questions you can't answer, and hopefully you'll answer them:

Was Steve Dengler involved in this project in a similar capacity to the Psychonauts Mac or CQ/Stacking PC ports?

Did the PC release require any negotiation or followup with EA?

Was the timing of this release contingent on any agreements with EA expiring or changing over time?

Will the Iron Brigade IP ever revert to Double Fine after any kind of expiration, or does MS own it completely?

Mike M

Nick N
I paid $10 for the Xbox version.

I want to love the game so much, but it won't let me. Why must you spurn my love with your shitty shitty RTS sections, Brutal Legend?

: (

I'm going to ask some questions you can't answer, and hopefully you'll answer them:

Was Steve Dengler involved in this project in a similar capacity to the Psychonauts Mac or CQ/Stacking PC ports?

Did the PC release require any negotiation or followup with EA?

Was the timing of this release contingent on any agreements with EA expiring or changing over time?

Will the Iron Brigade IP ever revert to Double Fine after any kind of expiration, or does MS own it completely?

Dengler wasn't involved in this particular project. (Although we are currently still working with him on our iOS projects.) We had some communication with EA, but we own Brütal so this was ultimately on us. The timing was simply due to when we were able to allocate the funding and development time internally to get it done.

Iron Brigade is completely owned by Microsoft.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The reason our games have never been 60fps is because of our physics engine, which relies on a lot of assumptions that the simulation is running at 30fps. We know it sucks for PC gamers; it's one of the side effects of our original publishers only wanting to fund console games. But in this case, Brütal Legend PC is a big enough game that we're finally taking the leap to fix that shit, and our hope is that the technical work being done here can be folded back into the core Buddha engine and incorporated into future patches for our other games.
That would be awesome and sweet. It bodes well for next gen too.

Couldn't help but laugh at them still hiding the RTS stuff. Hopefully no one gets tricked this time.
PC gamers generally don't mind a little strategy in their action games. That usually doesn't work out as well on the consoles, for some reason.

nowai

Fun game. I enjoyed it even if the RTS elements were half baked.

Might play through it again after a Steam sale.

Bought it. Loved the game when i first played on ps3, and i actually liked the RTS portion, although i was surprised by it. The demo managed to fool me too :p

Ledsen

Question to Chris: How the holy hell did you manage to keep the rights to all the music in the game? I would've thought the original agreement was only for that release and only for a limited period of time.

Also: Any US-ian willing to buy and gift me Brutal Legend on Steam? I'll PayPal you the money. I really want to support this game although I already played it on 360.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/nevvermore

chiablo

Any word on GFWL on this? That's the singular thing that ruined my faith in Double Fine; Iron Brigade was the laziest port job I've ever seen.

MNC

Minimum:
Processor:1.8 GHz dual core CPU
Memory:1 GB RAM
Graphics:256 MB GeForce 8800, Radeon 3850, or Intel HD 2000 Graphics
DirectX®:9.0c
Hard Drive:4 GB HD space
Sound:DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

Recommended:
Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.2 GHz, or AMD Athlon 64 at 2.2 GHz
Memory:1 GB RAM
Graphics:512 MB GeForce 220, Radeon 4550, Intel HD 3000 Graphics
DirectX®:9.0c
Hard Drive:4 GB HD space
Sound:DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

LOL @ specs
This will work at 666 fps on modern gaming PCs. \m/ :D \m/

Jesus, is this actually correct? Amazing.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Oh, hell yes. I always wanted to buy this game (especially to support Double Fine), but it dropped in price around the time I stopped buying 360 games for the most part.

Now I can buy the (hopefully) superior version.

Question to Chris: How the holy hell did you manage to keep the rights to all the music in the game? I would've thought the original agreement was only for that release and only for a limited period of time.

We reviewed the contracts carefully and contacted the rights owners and figured out we were within our rights to do the PC version. We have an actual biz dev guy who works here now and knows all about the legal stuff the rest of us don't!

Noema

I enjoyed the game. My perception of it is is bit biased because I love Tim Shaffer and I love heavy metal, but there's still a good game underneath.

It has a certain charm that makes it irresistible to me. The open world was varied and driving is not bad. On foot combat is mock-God of War so there's variety there. The RTS sections are also enjoyable and some of the units are quite imaginative. And the soundtrack is simply unmatched.

And it has Tim Curry, a Glam Metal pleasure palace, Ozzy selling you upgrades and Motherfucking Lemmy.

What else could you ask for?!?

Yaska

soundtrack itself is only the original work composed for the game ( sorry if stated in the thread). No licensed tracks :(.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Why couldn't this have been a mindless hack n slash game with awesome environments and the best licensed soundtrack of all time? Did not dig the rts at all.

Top Bottom