• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend on Steam : yes, it is ($15)

forrest

formerly nacire
doubledipb8qw4.gif

HoosTrax

DoubleFine interview over at RPS

Quote from Nathan Martz (not sure if this is DFNathan, or a different Nathan):
“I started in the industry when people were like, ‘PC gaming is dead! Consoles are the future.’ And for people who stuck around through that time, they felt really abandoned. They felt like publishers and developers didn’t care. So I think a lot of that frustration and anger comes from this feeling of ‘I cared about this thing when you didn’t. And now you’re trying to take advantage of it. Do you actually even care?’ So we want to show people that we do care. We’re bound by the laws of physics and finance, so we can only do so many things. But we really, really want to respect the platform as much as those people do.”

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Messed around in multi today - controls for KBAM don't feel as effective as the controller did on 360, and the game seemed to cast shadows on everything making it really difficult to see on certain maps. But it was still fun if a little stuffy of an experience at the moment. Can't wait to see how it all polishes up over the next few weeks! Was proud to see it hit number 1 on the sales charts, even if that is hat-money in action.

So greenmangaming says its available now. I bought it and popped in the Steam key. Now Steam's giving me an option for an 8GB download but doesn't mention its the BETA. Is it the full release?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So greenmangaming says its available now. I bought it and popped in the Steam key. Now Steam's giving me an option for an 8GB download but doesn't mention its the BETA. Is it the full release?

Release date is the 26th I believe, so yea it's the beta.

AEREC

Framerate in the Beta is pretty rough. Im playing on a i7, GTX 460 1GB, 8GB RAM and at 1360x768 and it feels like it runs worse than the console version.

Hope this is improved by release, or shortly after.

Xyber

Framerate in the Beta is pretty rough. Im playing on a i7, GTX 460 1GB, 8GB RAM and at 1360x768 and it feels like it runs worse than the console version.

Hope this is improved by release, or shortly after.

I have i5 2500k, 6950 2Gb and 8GB RAM and I am running the game maxed out (4xSSAA) at 1920x1080 and it's a locked 30 fps (for now).

So the problem is more likely on your end if anything. Updated your drivers recently?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Release date is the 26th I believe, so yea it's the beta.

Just to be clear, while you can only play the beta, you're downloading all the content (short of any necessary updates come release). If you've pre-ordered/activated the Soundtrack Edition you even get the OST with the download.

Deepo

Frame rate has been unlocked in the beta. They say that some subsystems are yet to be unlocked, and it seems like the animation is one of them after giving it a try. But it is running at 60FPS, and Double Fine is making good on their promise. Everybody go buy it!

Kinyou

Frame rate has been unlocked in the beta. They say that some subsystems are yet to be unlocked, and it seems like the animation is one of them after giving it a try. But it is running at 60FPS, and Double Fine is making good on their promise. Everybody go buy it!
Sold!

Really really impressed with Double Fine's support so far on the PC. Not only does it run great and look nice, they're actually helping with balance issues like patching out Eddie's infinite combo as well and adding features like text chat.

Game's in a great spot and multi is a ton of fun. Can't wait for Tuesday.

$15 is too much for this game.

Game was a great purchase at $60. Now improved on PC for only $15? Hell yeah. Cant wait to get home from work to play the campaign again. Though, i'd imagine realistically i'll wait a week or two as I know DF will still have to iron things out. Though, if i'm wrong and people are taking about how well it runs the campaign, i'll be on it till 2 a.m

Phinor

So much better with PC visuals/resolution and 60fps! I don't want to say it's a completely different game but it runs well and looks so much better than the blurry memory of the X360 version I have.

About 30 minutes into the game and I've seen few bugs here and there, got completely black main menu after visiting options (fixed by restarting the game) and I was unable to move after one cutscene though that was easy to fix by opening/closing menu. Also one help screen was missing the icons for the buttons it was trying to teach me. So it will need some patching here and there but overall, very happy with the game so far.

The game seems to suffer from some micro-stutter, so I'll have to do some tweaking with triple-buffering or whatever to fix it.

Also, anyone else find the audio is randomly muffled or some audio cues completely miss? Like, at one point a giant demon roars in Eddie's face... with no sound whatsoever. Weird...

JaseC

Wait, what? On Steam?

No, don't get excited. There's no reason to believe a PC port of MGR is still on the cards as all* talk of it went dead once development duties switched to Platinum.

* Well, except for this.

JaseC

The game seems to suffer from some micro-stutter, so I'll have to do some tweaking with triple-buffering or whatever to fix it.

Also, anyone else find the audio is randomly muffled or some audio cues completely miss? Like, at one point a giant demon roars in Eddie's face... with no sound whatsoever. Weird...

I just finished the Start a Revolution mission and there have been numerous instances where sound was muffled or just had strange mixing with the audio of the main voices. The demon roared at the beginning of the game with no sound on my end either. There are definitely some bugs and stuff that I expect to see ironed out very soon. The 60fps is really nice though.

sonicmj1

I just finished the Start a Revolution mission and there have been numerous instances where sound was muffled or just had strange mixing with the audio of the main voices. The demon roared at the beginning of the game with no sound on my end either. There are definitely some bugs and stuff that I expect to see ironed out very soon. The 60fps is really nice though.

Yeah, same here.

I also can't get used to the car's controls. It's kinda hyperactive. It's hard to fine-tune where it's going.

The writing is really fantastic, though, so I look forward to playing more. I've barely played for an hour and it's already gotten its share of chuckles out of me.

chiablo

I want to get it, I really do...
But I hate, hate, HATE Jack Black. I just want to punch that stupid face.

23872153.jpg

So my purchasing decision is entirely dependent on one thing: How annoying is Jack Black in Brutal Legend? Is he Nacho Libre level annoying?

Miker

23872153.jpg

So my purchasing decision is entirely dependent on one thing: How annoying is Jack Black in Brutal Legend? Is he Nacho Libre level annoying?

He's actually really great. He's a much better (less annoying?) voice actor than he is a real actor. Did you enjoy School of Rock? Because he's basically the same character.

chiablo

He's actually really great. He's a much better (less annoying?) voice actor than he is a real actor. Did you enjoy School of Rock? Because he's basically the same character.

Never saw it. The last Jack Black movie I saw was Be Kind Rewind, which made me want to die.

GMM

Banned

23872153.jpg

There is a certain smurky Jack Black over it, but he is actually quite a good fit for the role as a heavy metal roadie.

Miker

Never saw it. The last Jack Black movie I saw was Be Kind Rewind, which made me want to die.

Uh, how about Kung Fu Panda? Also, School of Rock is a solid movie, you should see it. Regardless, you shouldn't let you opinion of Jack Black change your mind on this game, because there's plenty of great voice acting to go around besides him (Ozzy Ozbourne, Tim Curry, Jennifer Hale, etc.)

Top Bottom