• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Building Windows 8: An inside look from the Windows engineering team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Baby steps. Look at all the people freaking out already over just the new Start Screen and it's drastic change from the start menu. The main thing they've been able to point to to calm down the "power users" is that the desktops remains pretty much just as we've all come to know and love. If they just completely revamped the desktop style to something like the above pictures, I'm almost positive there would be a giant uproar ("MS is changing everything! the sky is falling!!") even though it looks incredible. I think once they nail down the Start Screen and getting people used to it, that's when they'll start messing with the desktop in Windows 9.
Who do you think is making all those mocksup?! It's the power users who want the metro UI for the desktop; it's the power users who install rainmeter for the metro themes. Microsoft is scaring off the power users more by leaving the desktop in stasis than by any rumors they'll give it a designer makeover.

Who do you think is making all those mocksup?! It's the power users who want the metro UI for the desktop; it's the power users who install rainmeter for the metro themes. Microsoft is scaring off the power users more by leaving the desktop in stasis than by any rumors they'll give it a designer makeover.

Links, please.

KorrZ

Who do you think is complaining about the Metro UI? It's the power users too. The casual user doesn't give a shit , or has no clue that Windows 8 even exists until it's on the laptop they pick up from Best Buy. It's obviously split. I for one actually love the Metro UI, but that doesn't mean it doesn't piss off other power users. By changing everything all at once they risk alienating those people completely.

Mr_Zombie

Well yeah, I agree that it would be nice to have a simple re-styling, but I already describe above why even a simple re-styling isn't "simple".

Even simple things like changing color scheme, removing glass look, removing gradients (using only solid colors), cavity effect and rounded corners on everything would greatly help. No need to overhaul the whole look, because I understand that it may break the legacy applications, but Microsoft has to push the desktop look into Metro territory to make it less jarring when Metro elements appear on desktop.

Blackhead

Redarse
Links, please.
I used Omnimo UI for Rainmeter. I was hyped for Windows 8 when I thought Microsoft was going to remake the desktop apps with Metro UI. I've given up hope now.

Who do you think is complaining about the Metro UI? It's the power users too. The casual user doesn't give a shit , or has no clue that Windows 8 even exists until it's on the laptop they pick up from Best Buy. It's obviously split. I for one actually love the Metro UI, but that doesn't mean it doesn't piss off other power users. By changing everything all at once they risk alienating those people completely.
Who exactly is complaining about those screenshots or every other metro themed desktop apps that shows up on blogs every once in a while? I've seen complaints about the start screen, and a little minority view complaining of the Visual Studio redesign, but every other mockup or leak has been all love.

dLMN8R

Even simple things like changing color scheme, removing glass look, removing gradients (using only solid colors), cavity effect and rounded corners on everything would greatly help. No need to overhaul the whole look, because I understand that it may break the legacy applications, but Microsoft has to push the desktop look into Metro territory to make it less jarring when Metro elements appear on desktop.

You can already do this on Windows 7. Right-click the Desktop, Personalize, Window Color (at the bottom), and disable transparency.

You can do all that and and choose black, with full color intensity, and you're close. Use the color mixer, you're even closer.

On Windows 8, all the rounded corners are removed too, not sure about the gradients though.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Amazing Windows 8 Metro desktop mockup via The Verge user sputnik8

desktopoy.jpg

explorer1o.jpg

33753313.jpg

I NEED this!

MrBig

You can already do this on Windows 7. Right-click the Desktop, Personalize, Window Color (at the bottom), and disable transparency.

You can do all that and and choose black, with full color intensity, and you're close. Use the color mixer, you're even closer.

On Windows 8, all the rounded corners are removed too, not sure about the gradients though.

You can do all you want with the theme. You can even use custom themes, like what I'm using now. However, the biggest problem, which has been said quite a few times, is that, stock, you have metro clashing with aero on the desktop, outside of the winRT/metro environment. It's really inconsistent and haphazard, making it look like an unprofessional union of the two drastically different styles. If MS could do a simple skin of the aero sprites to take into consideration that it will have to interact with metro it could look so much better.

KorrZ

Who exactly is complaining about those screenshots or every other metro themed desktop apps that shows up on blogs every once in a while? I've seen complaints about the start screen, and a little minority view complaining of the Visual Studio redesign, but every other mockup or leak has been all love.

I never said anyone was complaining about the screenshots. They're mockups, what is there to complain about? I'm talking about if Microsoft actually changed their desktop to be like those screenshots, as the default. You would see complaints, it's crazy to think you wouldn't.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My issue with the taskbar wasn't that it was big, the large icons do look nice and serve a useful utility. But screw that combine-always behavior. Clicking twice (or hovering for a full second, then clicking) to get to a program that has two windows running? Screw that noise.

kehs

Banned
My issue with the taskbar wasn't that it was big, the large icons do look nice and serve a useful utility. But screw that combine-always behavior. Clicking twice (or hovering for a full second, then clicking) to get to a program that has two windows running? Screw that noise.

Aftet i tweaked the registry to 500 ms for the hover trigger that complaint went away for me.

Tuck

Reminds me of the Zune application. You know, Microsoft's Metro v1.0 design

ZvVEl.png

That looks so good... apps we've seen for Windows 8 so far don't come close.

The delay was too long yeah. I went into the registry and made it to be near instantaneous and it became much better.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i'm glad we are moving away from zune/itunes like apps. I like the zune software but it is still too of a resource hog imo.

MrBig

I've been using '7 taskbar tweaker' since the W7 RC or so, which allows a single click to open a window (clicking again opens the next window), and retains the hover for selecting windows specifically. It should be like that stock.

kehs

Banned
I swtiched back to an XP install I had, can't believe how tiny the taskbar icons were. Talk about a small target for your pointer.

wwm0nkey

Been meaning to reformat my PC, anyone just think I should install this on my main desktop? Have not had any issues with the dev build on my laptops

Digishine

Banned
at least Gta IV and Test Drive Unlimited 2 won't work on the new windows 8 build :/ so for gamers who where thinking to upgrade I wouldn't do that so quickly

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I am hyped! Been running the dev preview since day 1 of it's public release, and I can't wait to install the consumer preview!!

MrBig

Been meaning to reformat my PC, anyone just think I should install this on my main desktop? Have not had any issues with the dev build on my laptops

I would partition out your drive and split it between W8 and W7 (if you don't have another to put it on.) There are still some things that don't work in W8 yet, and there is no reason for you to be stuck with all the time in that case.

I'm certainly going to be doing that. I had the W7 beta 1 in a vm and the W8 dev preview in vm. Now I'm dual booting W8 just like I did for the next W7 beta.

Totakeke

I would partition out your drive and split it between W8 and W7 (if you don't have another to put it on.) There are still some things that don't work in W8 yet, and there is no reason for you to be stuck with all the time in that case.

I'm certainly going to be doing that. I had the W7 beta 1 in a vm and the W8 dev preview in vm. Now I'm dual booting W8 just like I did for the next W7 beta.

What's not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom