• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Building Windows 8: An inside look from the Windows engineering team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
beta fish

7yqLZ.png

8bit

Knows the Score
I would partition out your drive and split it between W8 and W7 (if you don't have another to put it on.) There are still some things that don't work in W8 yet, and there is no reason for you to be stuck with all the time in that case.

I'm certainly going to be doing that. I had the W7 beta 1 in a vm and the W8 dev preview in vm. Now I'm dual booting W8 just like I did for the next W7 beta.

I partitioned my drive. I don't think I've booted into W7 since.

So is there going to be a new thread for the CP, or will we just carry on in this one?

Of course there will be a new thread. This one is actually about the blog posts on the building windows 8 blog. Just in case you didn't read the thread title or the OP.

SPDIF

Of course there will be a new thread. This one is actually about the blog posts on the building windows 8 blog. Just in case you didn't read the thread title or the OP.

XTEez.gif

Yes because obviously this thread only discussed what was written on the building Windows 8 blog. It may have been the original intention of the thread, but it seems to me that it quickly turned into a general Windows 8 discussion thread.

It was a simple question, and I expected a simple reply, which thankfully other members provided.

kehs

Banned
XTEez.gif

Yes because obviously this thread only discussed what was written on the building Windows 8 blog. It may have been the original intention of the thread, but it seems to me that it quickly turned into a general Windows 8 discussion thread.

It was a simple question, and I expected a simple reply, which thankfully other members provided.

Ease up there Mr.Serious Business.

Mr_Zombie

They removed the button, you can still peek with the corner and win + space.

I am ashamed that I've just learned about Win + Space combo.
But if they removed the peek button, what's the button (the thin vertical block) on the left for?

brotkasten said:
Check out the settings page for Chrome. They're getting there.
What version of Chrome are you using? Settings page doesn't look like that in my Chrome and I've got the latest stable version.

There's still some issues with whitespaces and margins. For example the space between "Settings" label and radioboxes, and "Appearance" label and buttons is different. But overall it indeed looks nice.

Windu

I am ashamed that I've just learned about Win + Space combo.
But if they removed the peek button, what's the button (the thin vertical block) on the left for?
start button, it shows a preview of the start screen/desktop when you mouse over to the left on either screen.

Kamek

When was the consumer preview released and when will the retail version ship? I know late 2012 has been the word, but anything closer than that? I've had this macbook for 5 years now, and I'm dying to get back to Windows and get a new laptop, but only if it's ready for Windows 8.

When was the consumer preview released and when will the retail version ship? I know late 2012 has been the word, but anything closer than that? I've had this macbook for 5 years now, and I'm dying to get back to Windows and get a new laptop, but only if it's ready for Windows 8.

Consumer preview releases tomorrow.

Mr_Zombie

and I'm dying to get back to Windows and get a new laptop, but only if it's ready for Windows 8.

What do you mean "ready for Windows 8"? I'm running Windows 8 on my over 3-year-old notebook and I have no problems with it. If a laptop can run Windows 7, it will run Windows 8 without any troubles.

Unless you're talking about notebooks with touch screen.

Kamek

What do you mean "ready for Windows 8"? I'm running Windows 8 on my over 3-year-old notebook and I have no problems with it. If a laptop can run Windows 7, it will run Windows 8 without any troubles.

Unless you're talking about notebooks with touch screen.

Yeah, I was thinking about touch screen capabilities. I know most Windows 7 capable laptops will be able to run 8, but I just want to make sure I make the right choice for my next laptop purchase.

Macs have made me pretty computer illiterate. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and will there be a similar thing for 8?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Yeah, I was thinking about touch screen capabilities. I know most Windows 7 capable laptops will be able to run 8, but I just want to make sure I make the right choice for my next laptop purchase.

Macs have made me pretty computer illiterate. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and will there be a similar thing for 8?
windows 8 have three different versions, ARM, 32, and 64. just stick with 64 imo.

Windu

64 bit allows for more than 4GB of memory.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Jesus they're still using their crappy icons.

For the love of god, hire some guys to do it and flush the old ones. Metro is good, abuse the heck out of it ffs =/

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What size SSD do you guys think I should buy for win 8? I have a 64 gig SSD for win 7, but that's seems to barely be enough to contain the OS right now.

MrBig

Jesus they're still using their crappy icons.

For the love of god, hire some guys to do it and flush the old ones. Metro is good, abuse the heck out of it ffs =/

As seen in some of the recent pictures, the icons are starting to be revamped. I doubt we'll see them until the RC though.

can I run the windows 8 beta from an external hdd? (i have exactly no idea how stuff like this works)

Best way to do it is by partitioning your drive. You don't want to be running the OS over USB.

What size SSD do you guys think I should buy for win 8? I have a 64 gig SSD for win 7, but that's seems to barely be enough to contain the OS right now.

I'm at 23gigs and I have Win7 and about a dozen programs installed that I access daily (like office, a couple of games and some other bs.)

Not sure how you have almost filled 64gb with just windows 7.

Anywho, I think you are good with 64gb. If you are on a laptop and you don't have access to a secondary drive, then I would suggest getting a portable HDD or just upgrading to a 128gb if you feel tight.

Right now I am running 64gb ssd with 750gb for programs, music, and whatever.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm at 23gigs and I have Win7 and about a dozen programs installed that I access daily (like office, a couple of games and some other bs.)

Not sure how you have almost filled 64gb with just windows 7.

Anywho, I think you are good with 64gb. If you are on a laptop and you don't have access to a secondary drive, then I would suggest getting a portable HDD or just upgrading to a 128gb if you feel tight.

Right now I am running 64gb ssd with 750gb for programs, music, and whatever.

Well In reality its about 40 gigs, but stuff tends to pile up and I have to go in and do some cleaning. Is there any way to move my user folders off of that drive? Or have the default program files folder be somewhere else?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Super Excited! I can't wait to do a reinstall of Win 8 to upgrade from the dev preview to the beta consumer preview tomorrow!

1764163-shine_get_super.jpg

Just partitioned my drive in preparation for tomorrow. For those of you who haven't partitioned a drive before in Win 7, here is a nice step by step website.

http://www.windows7news.com/2009/09/23/how-to-create-a-partition-in-windows-7/

So I did all that and then it says
The operation you selected will convert the basic disk to a dynamic disk. If you convert to dynamic disk you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(except the current boot volume) Are you sure you want to continue?
Should I continue or will this not allow me to have Windows 8 on there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom