• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Building Windows 8: An inside look from the Windows engineering team

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

So I did all that and then it says

Should I continue or will this not allow me to have Windows 8 on there?

You should not have run into that error following the instructions in that article. Extend the volume back to what it was before and start over.
If you only have one HDD, you are shrinking C (you should probably give w8 at least 32-64gb) by however much space you want to give W8. Then you right click that unallocated space you subtracted from C and click New Simple Volume.

I can't believe the consumer preview didn't leak, even though the press already got it. I'm really impressed.

Will they show tablets tomorrow? Will they blow us away? Will the tablets be blown away by the iPad 3 a week later?

The only tablets you'll see are prototypes from the usual suspects. No need to show any retail products six months before launch.

Oh, and you guys know there won't be a live stream, right? Just live blogging.

MrBig

Thanks a lot! Now how do you make it so you can choose which Windows you want to boot in?

You will select it in the bios during each boot. It will default to C (so if you have W7 on C it will boot to that after a few seconds if you don't select anything), but you can change that in the bios boot order settings.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I can't believe the consumer preview didn't leak, even though the press already got it. I'm really impressed.

The only tablets you'll see are prototypes from the usual suspects. No need to show any retail products six months before launch.

Oh, and you guys know there won't be a live stream, right? Just live blogging.

Yeah no live stream is why I'm not pumped about the presser. I just wan the consumer preview .iso as soon as I get home tomorrow to install. Though a nice present would be for MS to throw it up early sometime tonight! :p

You should not have run into that error following the instructions in that article. Extend the volume back to what it was before and start over.
If you only have one HDD, you are shrinking C (you should probably give w8 at least 32-64gb) by however much space you want to give W8. Then you right click that unallocated space you subtracted from C and click New Simple Volume.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm doing everything in the list and everything looks good all the way till the end, the wizard gives me the settings and then says "to close the wizard hit finish". I hit finish and then that warning comes up.

Giving it 100gb

Got my Samsung Slate early. Man, the little Samsung dashboard/apps are slick/usable so far, but fuck Ballmer for suggesting W7 as a tablet OS
lol.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Will they show tablets tomorrow? Will they blow us away? Will the tablets be blown away by the iPad 3 a week later?
We will not see hardware. Seems like the presentation will just be a walthough of the OS and what changes have been made.

I expect a lot of news to be released as soon as the thing starts though, I'm sure a lot of NDA's will be lifted. Paul Thurott seemed to indicate that he had a lot of articles waiting to be released on what the tech today so I would assume others do as well.

kehs

Banned
We will not see hardware. Seems like the presentation will just be a walthough of the OS and what changes have been made.

I expect a lot of news to be released as soon as the thing starts though, I'm sure a lot of NDA's will be lifted. Paul Thurott seemed to indicate that he had a lot of articles waiting to be released on what the tech today so I would assume others do as well.

They've shown hardware at every single W8 junket, espcially WOA since in all likelyhood you won't even be able to get WOA standalone.

celebi23

I'm really shocked that this hasn't leaked yet. Good job Microsoft :D Got an alarm set for 8:45 am tomorrow. Should be a fun day tomorrow. Oh, when is the new topic going up?

jagowar

I have my vm ready at work to play with it tomorrow and then a spare 80 gig drive on my home computer ready to go.... going to give it a go as the default os on my home computer for a while.

Really looking forward to seeing how well it works with kb/mouse as I will not be getting a new touchscreen device until the final version ships.

Road

Let's dig at this more.

If you take a Developer preview link,

Code:
http://wdp.dlws.microsoft.com/WDPDL/40 char security hash code/w8

and change the "D" (for Developer) to "C" (for Consumer)

this directory exists.

I doubt anyone can decipher a 40 char code at least for something to release.

You don't need the hash code -- just remove that part from the URL -- but still need luck figuring out the name of the file, and that's assuming it's already uploaded.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So what is this... Basically an early/beta "full version" of the OS? It's far more substantial than the developers preview, right?

clav

You don't need the hash code -- just remove that part from the URL -- but still need luck figuring out the name of the file, and that's assuming it's already uploaded.

?

Have you really looked at the hyperlinks for the dev preview files? There is a 40 character code (directory?) that proceeds before the ISO file name.

If dev preview is used as an example, I suppose the file naming is similar.

So what is this... Basically an early/beta "full version" of the OS? It's far more substantial than the developers preview, right?

Beta.

Yes.

Just partitioned off a drive for this.

Can't wait.

What I want is a leak of the Technical Preview of Office 15. It would be cool to run it with my Win 8 partition.

Road

?

Have you really looked at the hyperlinks for the dev preview files? There is a 40 character code (directory?) that proceeds before the ISO file name.

If dev preview is used as an example, I suppose the file naming is similar.
I'm just saying you can delete the 40 characters directory part and you'll download the DP the same way. I suppose the same will apply to the CP.

So I've been searching around and redoing the process numerous times but I still keep getting this warning when I hit finish to complete the partition.
The operation you selected will convert the basic disk to a dynamic disk. If you convert to dynamic disk you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(except the current boot volume) Are you sure you want to continue?

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

It's feature complete but with bugs. Ie a traditional Beta before other companies took the meaning of beta software away.

jagowar

Have they confirmed that it's feature complete?

Obviously if it's not, its got to be nearly feature complete though.

It should be damn close to feature complete.... been rumored media center won't be in there and its also been rumored zune apps will be in the cp that will be rebranded xbox in the final version. Outside of those I would expect it to be feature complete.

celebi23

So, who's creating the new topic? Well, I've cleaned off a bunch of crap from my hd and can't wait to load this in VMWare tomorrow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom