• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bumped into an old friend. He's a flat earther now.

Last weekend I saw an old friend, a guy I haven't seen in like 15+ years. Dude I used to do music with. He moved to another city several hours away, lost touch.

Last time I saw him he had become incredibly religious, and I was prepared for that upon reuniting. Thought I would just not bring it up, as I'm not the religious type.

We're getting along fine, and then outta nowhere he asks me if I've heard of 'flat earth' and I say 'Yeah' and he says 'it's real!' And then proceeds to rant about how the earth is flat. Ice walls, perspective, the whole nine yards. Even threw in some Bible quotes to back up his story.

Then it was onto the moon landing being fake (supposedly mankind has never been to space), 911 being fake, Illuminati, you name it. He ranted passionately for an hour. I'm used to reading this stuff online, but it's another thing to be trapped in a room with it.

Crazy part is I didn't even argue with him. I could tell he was DEEP IN the belief. I just let him rant, and kept trying to change the subject when I thought I had a second to distract him.

This guy is in his late 30s and has 2 kids. He's raising human beings.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Your old friend is crazy, that is not even a normal conversation piece to just randomly drop, let alone a rational belief.

Your old friend is crazy, that is not even a normal conversation piece to just randomly drop, let alone a rational belief.

To be fair, We'd been hanging out for like 3 hours at that point, and had smoked a lot of weed. We both smoke a lot of weed though, so the drugs are no excuse

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
hes lost.
just move on.

or go deeper with him and tell him about hollow earth. thats the real shit right there.

You made the right decision to push him OP.

God knows what happens when you go over the edge.

Get it?

Because there's an edge. Flat Earth....

Get it?

Push him over the edge?

Get it?

I'm like a smart person.

It's best to just leave it. Plus the kids will probably rebel and realise their dad's a moron; will probably become doctors.

Not so sure about that. His 18 year old son supposedly is right in with the God stuff- they go to Christian Screamo Metal concerts together. No word on the flat earth shit yet

You made the right decision to push him OP.

God knows what happens when you go over the edge.

Get it?

Because there's an edge. Flat Earth....

Get it?

Push him over the edge?

Get it?

I'm like a smart person.

I get the joke, but the thing is I DIDN'T push him. I did the exact opposite. So while I agree your joke was HILARIOUS, it is somewhat inaccurate

There was a guy who used to work for my dad who believed that the Earth was at the center of the solar system, and also that the earth was the center of the universe as well. My dad, my sister, and I tried so hard to convince him that he is wrong. There was no budge. Flat earthers are even worse because they are disputing things we can actually perceive ourselves. The reality is that there are a lot of nutjobs in this world, and you just need to learn how to deal with them indirectly. Otherwise expect to lose your sanity.

There was a guy who used to work for my dad who believed that the Earth was at the center of the solar system, and also that the earth was the center of the universe as well. My dad, my sister, and I tried so hard to convince him that he is wrong. There was no budge. Flat earthers are even worse because they are disputing things we can actually perceive ourselves. The reality is that there are a lot of nutjobs in this world, and you just need to learn how to deal with them indirectly. Otherwise expect to lose your sanity.

Yeah my dude was on this shit too. Earth being the centre of the solar system. He had bible quotes as well

Let me just say this.

This is why I get ANNOYED when people say things like "NOBODY seriously believes in things like a flat earth." Um, yes they do! Very much do. While of course many people definitely are trolls, or just saying BS for a laugh, many more people are very much seriously believe in this kind of BS.

daffy

Banned
We're getting along fine, and then outta nowhere he asks me if I've heard of 'flat earth' and I say 'Yeah' and he says 'it's real!' And then proceeds to rant about how the earth is flat. Ice walls, perspective, the whole nine yards. Even threw in some Bible quotes to back up his story.
Lol they all do that shit. Brings that shit up out of nowhere like you can tell they've been trying to push it off for awhile

Lotto

sounds like a lot of fun OP. i think i would troll a friend i haven't seen in 15 years by ranting passionately for a couple hours about conspiracy theories too.

nah, what a waste of time. sorry for your loss.

Klocker

Good god people are so stupid.

All while trying to convince themselves that they are smarter than the rest of us because they think that they know something that we don't.

Crazy part is I didn't even argue with him. I could tell he was DEEP IN the belief. I just let him rant, and kept trying to change the subject when I thought I had a second to distract him.
No, that's the right thing to do. What good could possibly come from arguing with someone who actually thinks the Earth is flat? Its not like you're going to be able to change their stupid ass mind.

Stasis

Don't care who it is or what they once meant to me. Anyone brings that shit up, I'm walking out. Done.

Same for anyone who still supports Trump in any way. Anything.

Thankfully I've had neither. Am also in Canada so I guess I have a lesser chance of it. Particularly the latter. They exist. I don't know them.

Fucking USA is devolving. Go back to the stone age and start anew.

One question I always have with flat earthers is how did every government agree to this. We're talking about governments and countries that would try to kill each other, but they can agree to keep the 'secret' safe.

Here's the thing about every conspiracy ever: they fall apart the minute you question it without fail. And every answer is just like "I don't know but I need to find that out" or "That's what they want you to think about" like the governments are playing 20D chess.

Don't care who it is or what they once meant to me. Anyone brings that shit up, I'm walking out. Done.

Same for anyone who still supports Trump in any way. Anything.

Thankfully I've had neither. Am also in Canada so I guess I have a lesser chance of it. Particularly the latter. They exist. I don't know them.

Fucking USA is devolving. Go back to the stone age and start anew.

I'm in Canada too, actually. I have no idea what his thoughts on Trump are, but I bet it would upset me

Banglish

You know how weed enhances everything.. goddamn it really does enhance everything. It's impressive you were able to restrain yourself.

I'm in Canada too, actually. I have no idea what his thoughts on Trump are, but I bet it would upset me

Man that's the weird thing about being Canadian, someone who seems perfectly "normal", progressive, etc.. out of no where they will surprise you that with that shit cause no one likes to talk about politics or religious views lol. In some ways it's good cause there is way less confrontation but then it's like these secretive underground sects are built up.

At least he's not an anti vaxxer
So that's something
That's very much true. While Flat Earthers, and Moon hoaxers are obviously full of it, they are ultimately harmless false beliefs. Vaxxers, on the other hand, can have serious/harmful, if not deadly consequences BC of what they falsely believe.

I'm FB friends with an anti-vaxxer actually. An ex-stripper I met about five years ago at a comedy show I was performing on.

She was such a cool person, smart and funny, really a great advocate for sex workers' rights. But she's waaaaay into the anti-vaxxer shit

ramparter

Banned
The "funny" thing about flat earth is that I'm 99% sure it's a very well executed trolling that convinced a lot of stupid people. It's almost like religion, the only difference is evil intent versus trolling intent.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
muldersigh7lu4i.gif

I didn't know there was such a thing as flat earthers.
Mindboggling stuff.

Pretty weird that a guy you haven't seen for fifteen years has a one-sided conversation for an hour, Illuminati or not. Even if you've been hanging out for a while.
Atleast you gained an interesting day. Alway's look on the bright side.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How does this theory explain going in a circle when you travel in one direction for too long?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wait what ?
There's really "flat earther" ? I thought this was a comedy thing or parody. Lol

Well, you've probably experienced people dismiss journalism from places like the New York Times and Washington Post for being biased and thus completely non-factual. You've maybe even seen people afraid of vacines, because they don't know who to trust in the debate and aren't scientists themselves to verify for themselves.

This is the absolute most extreme form of that, where people have decided the only thing they can trust is what their own eyes observe in the real world, and their own eyes say it's flat. Therefore, there is possibly or maybe even likely a conspiracy to make people think the world is round.

At least that's most sense I can gather out of such a nonsensical view.

Sliver

How does this theory explain going in a circle when you travel in one direction for too long?

They think the earth is surrounded by ice that goes on for miles. It's protected by every world government, who shoot down any planes that try to fly over.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Last weekend I saw an old friend, a guy I haven't seen in like 15+ years. Dude I used to do music with. He moved to another city several hours away, lost touch.

Last time I saw him he had become incredibly religious, and I was prepared for that upon reuniting. Thought I would just not bring it up, as I'm not the religious type.

Then it was onto the moon landing being fake (supposedly mankind has never been to space), 911 being fake, Illuminati, you name it. He ranted passionately for an hour. I'm used to reading this stuff online, but it's another thing to be trapped in a room with it.

This guy is in his late 30s and has 2 kids. He's raising human beings.

Any chance he trolled you? I like to do it myself to friends to check their reactions, but an hour seems excessive.

You friend must be really far gone to not only believe it but to just bring it up out of nowhere. I wonder what other crazy shit he believes?

Top Bottom