• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bumped into an old friend. He's a flat earther now.

Flat earthers are the ultimate example of how you can warp your own mind to justify any crazy belief and dismiss all the illogicalities it presents.

I mean the entire concept of all the world governments working together to pretend the Earth is round is like... Why?!

Because the world governments don't want us to know what is on the other side.

Its either untold riches they want to keep for themselves. Or such horror that it would make everyone on our side commit instant suicide.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
CiHuksZXAAAn4qZ.jpg

Once got a taxi with a 50-something guy who told me all about this shit, even including some sort satanic base on the north (south?) pole, something to do with santa claus in there.

I know what you mean about not arguing, when you are faced with this you immediately feel something else, pity is not the word, perhaps empathy, but certainly the reaction isn't to argue.

I just kinda played along and said 'heh, so do you watch alex jones?' At the end of the journey he showed me his bible he carries everywhere with him, and was mentioning about how some bad stuff happened to him as a kid. It was quite moving.

eso76

bump into him again and again until you push him off the edge ?

I just assume everyone who claims to be a flat earther is trolling.

also, this. I'm 99% sure they are just trolling

Mr Git

Sorry OP that's one friend lost. I don't know what I'd do besides arguing about it. Maybe I'd offer them a trip to Dignitas hoping they can spot the Earth's curvature on the way there.

Wait what ?
There's really "flat earther" ? I thought this was a comedy thing or parody. Lol

The last time we had one of these threads one was unearthed on this very forum.

Aiii

So not worth it
Crazy part is I didn't even argue with him. I could tell he was DEEP IN the belief. I just let him rant, and kept trying to change the subject when I thought I had a second to distract him.

The only right thing, do not engage, that would only have lead to more bullshit and him trying to convince you.

I love flat weathers - I don't try to convince these folks that they're wrong or try to change the subject when they talk to me. My assistant manager is a huge conspiracy theorist who can more or less recite entire episodes of Ancient Aliens from memeory. He goes on these crazy rants about the flat earth, the illuminati or how The Shining was secretly about the faked moon landings and I humor him because it makes the work day go by faster. We also used to have this douchy alt-right, Blue Lives Matter kind of dude who worked with us, and even though I didn't like the guy I kind of miss him because he would get into the most batshit insane debates with my assistant manager. It would be stuff like "The liberal globalists are destroying America!" vs "But thats what the illuminati lizard people WANT you to think!" and I would literally sit back and watch them argue for hours as my entertainment for the day.

Hermii

I used to be a conspiracy "nut", kinda still am but I just dont care that much anymore.

So what is a small element within the US intelligence apparatus were in on 911, it doesn't matter at all to my life and I can't do shit about it. It would be impossible to prove conclusively and even harder to bring someone to justice. Same thing about the Kennedy's.

I didn't realise at the time, but I mostly used that to gain a false sense of identity/ superiority because my life was and still is lacking in so many areas. But this flat earther stuff is taking it to the next level.

Kyne

I presume like this:

but y'know, without any of the humour or fun or thought.

Now I'm even more confused. Wouldn't there be an obvious physical disparity somewhere on earth that would prove (or rather disprove) this theory? Like there would be pictures and everything.

Even if these people don't believe in the moon landing or space travel, what proof do they have that the earth is flat?

Poppy

think of it this way:

what if you dont give a shit about your life or anyone elses life and no longer find joy in logic

why not just become a conspiracy theorist so you can hang out with other hopeless weirdos on the internet and pretend you're special by making normies uncomfortable

the way i see it conspiracy theorists arent actually interested in anything that impacts humanity, they basically are just nihilists looking to stir up shit for fun. they arent really convinced of anything (unless they are legit mentally unwell or have been brainwashed), but they arent going to change their mind based on logic because thats no fun to them anyway

selfish nihilism is basically the source of evil because it prevents any kind of humanism and it eradicates empathy. i feel like you have your existential breakdown at some point and this is just one of the paths you can take to cope

Kyne

think of it this way:

what if you dont give a shit about your life or anyone elses life and no longer find joy in logic

why not just become a conspiracy theorist so you can hang out with other hopeless weirdos on the internet and pretend you're special by making normies uncomfortable

the way i see it conspiracy theorists arent actually interested in anything that impacts humanity, they basically are just nihilists looking to stir up shit for fun. they arent really convinced of anything (unless they are legit mentally unwell or have been brainwashed), but they arent going to change their mind based on logic because thats no fun to them anyway

selfish nihilism is basically the source of evil because it prevents any kind of humanism and it eradicates empathy. i feel like you have your existential breakdown at some point and this is just one of the paths you can take to cope

Well that's a little sad. That just makes me feel sorry for these people.

I wonder how shitty your life has to be for you to just wake up one day and decide that reality is too dull to be real.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What I don't get is what they think the motives are behind the people "lying" to them. What benefit does anybody gain from telling them the Earth is a shape it's not?

Same motivation as climate change conspiracy. Scientists like the ones at NASA wanting to steal your tax dollars and scam you out of your money.

Or same motivation as moon landing conspiracy, where governments just want to look strong and important.

Or scientists are simply just stupid, and only flat earthers are smart enough to see the truth.

Tahnit

Banned
Godamn there are tons of idiots in this world. Seriously I think we as humanity are getting stupider and stupider.

Some of you are much more forgiving than I. I said the same thing earlier today about friends of mine who have Trump defenders on their friends list and keep trying to reason with them.

I'd be like, "Dude, the Earth isn't flat and if you really believe that you're fucking insane." If that's how the friendship ended, so be it.

The reason is I view it as a person insulting my intelligence. If you tell me 2+2=5 you're implying I don't know basic math and you're insulting my intelligence. Likewise if you claim the Earth is flat, you're implying I don't know basic science and doing the same thing. That goes for vaccines, link between HIV and AIDS, evolution, Climate Change, etc.

At this point in my life in my 30's, I just don't need that shit. I hear enough fake news and conspiracies without having a personal friend spew it to me on top of that.

Permanently A

Any time this happens I just go crazier.

"They just want you to think the moon landing was fake. Everyone knows the moon isn't actually real, they just made it to convince you space is real to promote the atheist agenda and discredit the idea of heaven."

"The earth is flat? That's just what the Illuminati wants you to think. So people wouldn't realize the earth is actually a triangle."

The most fun part is when they take the bait and say you're crazy, then you just accuse them of being shills for the Jews or whatever. That gets them real hot and bothered.

Top Bottom