• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bumped into an old friend. He's a flat earther now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
They think the earth is surrounded by ice that goes on for miles. It's protected by every world government, who shoot down any planes that try to fly over.
game-of-thrones-poster-north-of-the-wall.jpg

GCX

Flat earthers are the ultimate example of how you can warp your own mind to justify any crazy belief and dismiss all the illogicalities it presents.

I mean the entire concept of all the world governments working together to pretend the Earth is round is like... Why?!

Apt101

Dude A: "If the Earth is flat and there is no space, then where did aliens come from? Check and mate".

Dude B: "I never said there isn't outer space, I was saying that our perspective...."

Dude A: "Check. And. Mate. Now let's go get a beer".

At least he's not an anti vaxxer
So that's something

Ha, my friend is anti-vaxx, believes David Icke re: reptilians, (still) believes in Pizzagate, and also the general illuminati/chemtrails/HAARP/grabbag of conspiracy stuff. Flat Earth is one of the few things he hasn't mentioned yet but it's probably just a matter of time.

I'd turn him on to TimeCube but iirc the site is down these days.

Mulder have no issue with it. Who are we to claim higher standards ?

Seriously, i feel for you. I live in a place were 911 conspiracy theory is actually common knowledge among somewhat leftist young people. It's pretty hard to just get pass that, but your case seem like the whole package. However you can always just laugh at him about the issue, many conspirationist are not dead serious about it, they maintain a level of irony.

I would do the same, arguing with crazy only provokes trouble. Let them ramble about and say "huh, yes, interesting... you don't say, cool" move on, try to stay clear of them.

Fortunately I never had to deal with crazy people in my close circle of family and friends, not to that degree at least.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'd almost love to know someone like this. I think part of me would really enjoy watching them sweat when using infallible logic.

I used to have a friend like that (turned slowly into a religious nut, knee-deep into conspiracy territory with growing racist tendencies).

I tried really hard to keep him sane and informed but it was tough. I even got close to getting through to him but the moment he became father to a son, it turned into an impossible task. He became very protective of his son and put great effort into a "proper" education for him.

Needless to say that the kid turned out to become the laughing stock of his school for all the nutty theories he willingly expressed. Why would his dad lie to him? It must be true and my friend reassured his son that it's the others that are wrong.

I just couldn't deal with it, it broke my heart to watch my oldest friend basically vanish in this fucking rabbit hole, dug by his own insecurities and mental issues. It didn't help that I'm struggling with depression myself and just couldn't summon the strength to help him through this.

That's how my longest and deepest friendship ended and all that's left is my ingrained hate for all the conspiracy "gurus" like Alex Jones, up to the point where I just want to see them dead. Unceremoniously buried six feet deep for all the harm they do to gullible, certainly to a wide extent mentally impaired, people.

Bluenoser

It's fine for people to have beliefs, but flat earth goes beyond... from the innocent to the bat shit crazy.

If I had a friend trying to tell me about how the earth is flat, I would politely excuse myself and probably never speak to them again.

Not

Banned
He's most likely dealing with some kind of deep personal pain, OP, whether he realizes it or not. Probably best to leave him be.

Forkball

Flat earthers are so dumb. If the earth was flat, the mole people who live in the center of the earth wouldn't have enough space.

Tell him to go to a 9/11 Memoria/Remembrance Event and claim the same shit. I know he's your friend but I truly see these people as utter cowards who get to feel stronger or smarter by simply being contrarian and think they're geniuses only because "so few people are privy to the information they know". They'd believe ingesting fire is actually good for you if one of their sites claimed it and said the liberal media and the Illuminati are "trying to subdue the facts".

Dali

15 years, eh? After he started on the flat earth shit, if I hadn't already before he started talking, then at that point I definitely would have changed his status from "old friend" to 🎶somebody that I used to know🎶

I think if I bumped in to someone who I hadn't seen for years i'd like to pretend to be into all kinds of crazy shit just to scare them off.

Shredderi

I wonder if these things are just people feeling that they are insignificant and then warping their minds to think that they know the "truth", that they are not insignificant, that they are one of the few special who have embraced the "truth". Like, what if it's all a defence mechanism?

Why stop at flat earth? Why not triangular earth or square earth?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
What I don't get is what they think the motives are behind the people "lying" to them. What benefit does anybody gain from telling them the Earth is a shape it's not?

Blues1990

I can't even comprehend how people actually believe that the earth is flat.

Like, what realm of rationality did those twits draw from to make them believe such nonsense?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why flat earthers dispute a round earth. Just because it's flat doesn't mean it isn't round 2-dimensionally.

Checkmate.

RinsFury

It should shock me that these people actually exist, but then I remember that this country is also home to hordes of ignorant racist morons that went out and voted for Trump last November. No doubt a near 100% degree of overlap between the two groups as well.

As for it being a friend that had these beliefs, I would cut all ties with any person dumb enough to actually believe that the earth is flat in 2017. Zero interest in wasting my time with someone like that.

I mean, Social Services won't care because he has some dumb beliefs. Otherwise they'd have to take kids away from millions of people.

Yeah I know, but it would be nice to inconvenience the idiot as he was investigated, even if nothing came of it.

It's people like this that really give credence to the idea of needing a license to procreate.

(No, I am not for that idea, stuff like this just makes it seem like not a bad idea)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just say he should give you definitive proof of the Earth being flat that he can't just google. Something in the real world that isn't some half assed "science" experiment like bringing a level on a plane.

typist

Suggest going on a voyage to find the edge. After all, if the Earth is flat, then either the Earth continues infinitely or else there is some edge. In the former case there are undiscovered lands to be claimed beyond the "known world" -- China/America/Australia whatever. In the latter case there is some cliff where the land just stops, you can take pictures of the edge and show everybody, instantly becoming rich and famous as a result

Mohonky

Ha, my friend is anti-vaxx, believes David Icke re: reptilians, (still) believes in Pizzagate, and also the general illuminati/chemtrails/HAARP/grabbag of conspiracy stuff. Flat Earth is one of the few things he hasn't mentioned yet but it's probably just a matter of time.

You're friends with Alex Jones?

No but seriously how do you actually have a conversation with someone like that? Dont you just turn around and say something like oh ffs get a hold of yourself you're talking bullshit right now!!

I hope he never has children.

Dali

You're friends with Alex Jones?

No but seriously how do you actually have a conversation with someone like that? Dont you just turn around and say something like oh ffs get a hold of yourself you're talking bullshit right now!!
I've got a friend that has these ideas about time and treats it as though it's a deity with a will and consciousness. At first I listened. For a long time I listened (like not one sitting, but over the course of a period of time). After a while I was just like "I can't do this right now. Hearing you talk about this is mentally taxing." Now when he brings it up, he knows how I feel about it so I get to sigh and eyeroll, he wraps it up super quick, and brings it up much less. I think it's ok to have friends that have stupid beliefs just as long as they know you think their beliefs are stupid and you'd rather not hear them talk about stupid shit.

Raptomex

Intervention time or it's time to lose touch again and see if he comes up with anything new in the next few years.

NewGame

Banned
Even threw in some Bible quotes to back up his story.

Bible writers thought the earth was a circle, using the same word for it that also means 'round' or 'sphere'
Job 26:10 Isaiah 40:21-22

People as far back as Rome (possibly even bronze age people) knew the earth must have been a sphere because they could see the 'rising shore' phenomenon while sailing and also had a good grasp of geography which made them notice that different areas of the world had the sun cast a different shadow even on the same time of the year.

Heck, Eratosthenes was very close in estimating the size of the earth as well as some other things that are pretty amazing.

Ah, so he's fallen for it. The government started the flat Earth myth to find out who's vulnerable.
That's how they brainwash people into becoming the Illuminati. They don't want just anybody in the Illuminati. They want the people that they can control.

I kid, but something like that might scare people into their senses.

Top Bottom