• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie: Each planet & moon in Destiny will be the size of Reach (5 known planet/moon)

E92 M3

As long as Destiny doesn't rely too much on co-op, I can't wait to explore the solar system.

Europa has always been my favorite, but it's only an interesting vacation spot if you're a proud owner of a space submarine. A faithful recreation of its surface wouldn't be a very good setting for shooting space dudes in the face, and a hyper-stylized interpretation of the place would probably just turn it into another Hoth. Which, while more fun to play on, doesn't sound nearly as interesting.

I'm betting that the hyper-stylized interpretation is exactly what will make it badass. Extrapolating the theoretical environment on Europa into a fantasy should lead to some amazing work. Especially those Bungie skyboxes. I'm drooling at the thought of those.

Bsigg12

Hype is definitely rising for this game. I hate that it is coming for last gen as well as current. Seems like too big a game and wasted resources, but can't ignore that install base. Hopefully the current gen and PC versions get full attention.

There is no PC version.

broony

As long as Destiny doesn't rely too much on co-op, I can't wait to explore the solar system.

Co-op or at least running into other online players is kind of the point of the game. There is a campaign that can be played to completion by yourself, but the game is designed to be better played with others.

Hype is definitely rising for this game. I hate that it is coming for last gen as well as current. Seems like too big a game and wasted resources, but can't ignore that install base. Hopefully the current gen and PC versions get full attention.

I don't think it's coming out on PC. I'm interested in how the 360/PS3 versions turn out, as I don't have a One/PS4 and don't really want to get either of them anytime soon.

This sounds kinda ambitious, though. So I don't know how it'll fare on the older consoles.

E92 M3

Co-op or at least running into other online players is kind of the point of the game. There is a campaign that can be played to completion by yourself, but the game is designed to be better played with others.

Well I find forced co-op ruins the atmosphere and immersion; hopefully Bungie kept the single player people in mind. I love PVP - but I am not keen to co-op. At least not on my first run through the game.

I'm hyped for this game beyond belief. I just have to stay strong and not get a PS4 until Sony at least delivers multimedia feature parity with PS3.

Wizman23

Banned
I wonder when the floodgates are going to come off in regards to Destiny. As a Bungie fan, I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of information about this game. Looking back at Halo 3, ODST, and Reach at this point in developement all 3 of those games had at least 2 or 3 vidocs out that were very informative. So far we have gotten 1 Destiny vidoc released like 8 months ago which is half as long as the above mentioned games that really tells us nothing. For as much as Bungie and Activision have riding on this game I'm just shcoked by how badly information has been given to us ever since the reveal last February (which also was a giant cluster fuck repeated by the game journos who visited Bungie and said the entire trip was a waste of time since they didn't even see the game).

E92 M3

I wonder when the floodgates are going to come off in regards to Destiny. As a Bungie fan, I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of information about this game. Looking back at Halo 3, ODST, and Reach at this point in developement all 3 of those games had at least 2 or 3 vidocs out that were very informative. So far we have gotten 1 Destiny vidoc released like 8 months ago which is half as long as the above mentioned games that really tells us nothing. For as much as Bungie and Activision have riding on this game I'm just shcoked by how badly information has been given to us ever since the reveal last February (which also was a giant cluster fuck repeated by the game journos who visited Bungie and said the entire trip was a waste of time since they didn't even see the game).

All signs point the Sony press conference at E3. The most logical place for Bungie to show some more cool stuff.

Daffy Duck

Not really read much on Destiny, but how do we travel between planets? Is it a fast travel thing or are we abel to board our ships and fly there and detour if we want?

Flipyap

Not really read much on Destiny, but how do we travel between planets? Is it a fast travel thing or are we abel to board our ships and fly there and detour if we want?
There is no playable space flight in the game.

I'm betting that the hyper-stylized interpretation is exactly what will make it badass. Extrapolating the theoretical environment on Europa into a fantasy should lead to some amazing work. Especially those Bungie skyboxes. I'm drooling at the thought of those.
But Europa isn't badass, it's a frozen shell encasing a mysterious ocean. That's what makes it so (uh) cool.
The concept art looks like every other ice planet. If they "reboot" the rest of the solar system like they did with the jungles of Venus, the whole pitch becomes meaningless. They might as well send us to Xanthor 5, it wouldn't make a difference.

Having said that, I'm totally back on board if one of Destiny's evil spaceman races decided to build a city on the bottom of its ocean (a space city where the space artist would not fear the space censor; where the space scientist would not be bound by petty morality; etc.).

ryuken-d

Well I find forced co-op ruins the atmosphere and immersion; hopefully Bungie kept the single player people in mind. I love PVP - but I am not keen to co-op. At least not on my first run through the game.

I'm with you on that one. They did a great job with FFXIV RR you could do so much by yourself and the party matching for dungens works great I hoping destiny does something similiar or better, like auto squads when you come up to people fighting a big boss or something.

cheezcake

if Destiny's actual Europa turns out to look anything like the concept art released by Bungie I'll be spending a lot of time there. beautiful art design.
europa_desktop-630x393.jpg

Man Bungie has some of the best art talent in the business, that looks incredible

ironcreed

Banned
if Destiny's actual Europa turns out to look anything like the concept art released by Bungie I'll be spending a lot of time there. beautiful art design.
europa_desktop-630x393.jpg

drool-k9-o.gif

I have said it before, but I'll say it again. This game has some of the best sci fi art direction I have ever seen.

Cse

Banned
How much of an open world will Destiny offer?

Will it be like a true MMO where you have a central town or city, and can seamlessly explore the world? Or is each world going to be more instanced and linear?

Will it be like a true MMO where you have a central town or city, and can seamlessly explore the world? Or is each world going to be more instanced and linear?

The impression I've had is that there is a hub city on Earth and you can leave the city on foot to do missions on Earth or take a spaceship to other planets.

broony

The cogs just seem to be starting to turn again. there has been a couple of new bits and pieces recently. I am guessing there will be a beta announcement in the next month and we will start to see a few previews of that. Then e3 obviously.

Orayn

I think it's going to be comparable to Guild Wars 1, Borderlands, or the Diablo series. You've got one or more hub areas for trading and socializing with all players are present, but the game world is mostly instanced to you and your group when you go out on a mission. (There are also "group events" where your group gets combined with others to take on a large boss.) They've also hinted at the possibility of free roaming in larger levels, but we definitely know that there are linear, campaign-ish sections too.

GhaleonEB

Does this game have an arc, like beginning, middle, end or is it just continuous with updates and DLC ?

My impression is it's less an open world and more a hub and spoke system, with the main city being the hub. You then head out to missions via teleporters and ships. Some mission locations are said to be sizable and with explorable areas indoors and out, but we have yet to really see the extent of it. We know we all have a personal vehicle to help span large spaces, which implies um, large spaces. But we have yet to see them. That will probably be something featured in either the run up to the beta or the beta itself.

My impression is it's less an open world and more a hub and spoke system, with the main city being the hub. You then head out to missions via teleporters and ships. Some mission locations are said to be sizable and with explorable areas indoors and out, but we have yet to really see the extent of it. We know we all have a personal vehicle to help span large spaces, which implies um, large spaces. But we have yet to see them. That will probably be something featured in either the run up to the beta or the beta itself.

DrZeus

They have not announced a PC version.

There is no PC version.

I don't think it's coming out on PC. I'm interested in how the 360/PS3 versions turn out, as I don't have a One/PS4 and don't really want to get either of them anytime soon.

This sounds kinda ambitious, though. So I don't know how it'll fare on the older consoles.

The more you know! Thanks for clarification my fellow gaffers. I'm dying to see more footage of this game. Wonder will there be parity between PS4 and Xb1? E3 can't come soon enough!

badb0y

The more you know! Thanks for clarification my fellow gaffers. I'm dying to see more footage of this game. Wonder will there be parity between PS4 and Xb1? E3 can't come soon enough!

Should be, considering this game is also coming out on the PS3 and the Xbox 360 but then again we have had cross gen games that have had graphical differences in the past so who knows?

Anyways, not having this on PC is a crime, A CRIME I SAY!

Bsigg12

The beta should be coming up soon. I expect it to hit in a few weeks (early May) because that would be a similar timeline to all their Halo betas. PlayStation consoles get first crack at it but it is going to be a massive beta from the sounds of it and we should get a pretty good sense of how the game holds up on each system even being 4 months or so out from launch.

Kind of a strange comparison. Reach wasn't open world so it's hard to guage how big it was and while it was somewhat open for a FPS it wasn't anywhere near an open world exploration environtment.

Halo is fun on something as small as a firefight map because Halo combat is fun. As long as Destiny combat is also fun, they can make it as big as they want.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
dont care how big each planet is, you better hope it isnt a barren wasteland fillied with shit

Bsigg12

Halo is fun on something as small as a firefight map because Halo combat is fun. As long as Destiny combat is also fun, they can make it as big as they want.

This is what I'm really curious about. How does it play? How do the powers change the way the game feels? How does having weapons with buffs affect balance in PvP? The beta can't come soon enough.

This is what I'm really curious about. How does it play? How do the powers change the way the game feels? How does having weapons with buffs affect balance in PvP? The beta can't come soon enough.

Personally, I think a 'loot' system runs counter to what made Halo great, so I'm deeply concerned. But I also don't know anything so I'm really really really hoping it all works out. Oh god do I hope it all comes together.

E92 M3

But Europa isn't badass, it's a frozen shell encasing a mysterious ocean. That's what makes it so (uh) cool.
The concept art looks like every other ice planet. If they "reboot" the rest of the solar system like they did with the jungles of Venus, the whole pitch becomes meaningless. They might as well send us to Xanthor 5, it wouldn't make a difference.

Well it combines my favorite aspects of nature: water and frozen/snowy conditions. Bungie will make Europa cool.

I'm with you on that one. They did a great job with FFXIV RR you could do so much by yourself and the party matching for dungens works great I hoping destiny does something similiar or better, like auto squads when you come up to people fighting a big boss or something.

Yes, seamless matchmaking is something I expect from Bungie.

Top Bottom