• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie on Destiny: "We would absolutely love to be on the PC... So, stay tuned."

i'm not terribly interested in playing anything of this ambition anchored to old man consoles in 2014. guess it'll depend on version disparity.

Exactly my thought. If an 'ambitious MMO-a-like' is being designed around the lowest common denominator there's pretty much no way it won't be wank.

lantus

Well, it depends if we want to go with IGN's stream guys or Bungie's COO.

It's very likely not day and date though at the minimum.

Mmm Jeff Gerstmann was under the same impression as IGN, as I'm sure most journalists are who went to that event. Will be interesting to see how all of this unfolds once next gen versions are announced.

MooseKing

Banned
PC gamers are not going to care if the game is out for a year and it comes out on PC. It's one thing if it's a single player game, another if it's an MMO and you will be significantly behind.

MrBig

Only reason to not release the game on PC is because they can not compete with Planetside 2....

Destiny wouldn't be competing with Planetside 2, though. One is story/progression driven and the other is competitive/player driven

Woo-Fu

Banned
It will be on PC but not until they've milked the console walled gardens for more than the PC players will pay.

The heavy multiplayer focused saddens me, I would LOVE a SP game set in the same universe.

Yeah that's the sad part. The game will get a PC version, of that I am sure. The focus on multiplayer however is a tough pill to swallow. Feel free to quote me on this: in a few years true single player games will be Kickstarter fodder.

Eideka

Banned
Yeah that's the sad part. The game will get a PC version, of that I am sure. The focus on multiplayer however is a tough pill to swallow. Feel free to quote me on this: in a few years true single player games will be Kickstarter fodder.

As a solo gamer almost exclusively the emphasis on multiplayer is always a bad news, I'm not very optimistic that SP only games will survive next-generation, not in the AAA space at least.

Davidion

I like the look of this game. Halo, for whatever new ideas vs cliches it embraced, had its share of good/great qualities.

Don't think I'd bother buying this on a console, but I'm looking forward to playing it on the PC if/when it comes.

rar

“We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people,” Jones continued. “We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard, and now nobody plays [first-person shooters] the old way anymore because they don’t want to."

what an idiot

Meh. It would be nice if it came to pc, but it's not going to bother me if it doesn't. Not being a competitive gamer I don't really follow the Halo's and CODs of the world. Most people that know the Bungie name have the expectation that this will be a Halo like experience - I really don't see these people digging the MMO-lite aspect of it on consoles.

Nokterian

“We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people,” Jones continued. “We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard, and now nobody plays [first-person shooters] the old way anymore because they don’t want to."

what an idiot

He said that for real? Planetside 2 or any other shooter on PC disagree's with it.

As a solo gamer almost exclusively the emphasis on multiplayer is always a bad news, I'm not very optimistic that SP only games will survive next-generation, not in the AAA space at least.

Fully agreed. The age of the single player game is definitely coming to an end.

tumblr_lnz8ldCu5j1qi8p9g.gif

oneils

IGN says Bungie was clear about being a console exclusive developer.

Bungie sucks.

I don't think IGN used the word exclusive. They said that Bungie was clear about being a console shooter developer. They also explained that they never mentioned the PC as a platform, but also did not say whether or not it will be a platform for destiny. The IGN guy then interpreted that to mean that destiny won't be on PC.

Not quite the same as Bungie definitively ruling it out.

MrBig

what an idiot

One of the great parts of PC gaming is that you can play games absolutely any way you want, be it with a kb/m, a controller, a flight stick, steering wheel, keypad, motion trackers, or with immersion aiding hardware/software systems like Nvidia Surround and the Oculus Rift. Or you can build your own hardware even. Claiming that using a single one of those systems is a great achievement is ridiculous. Is that really a recent quote?

I've read the original quote about PC like a hundred times and I still can't understand it... can someone translate it to English.

According to the people upstairs, we play on all platforms... what does that even mean.

Activision is targeting all platforms, or they consider consoles to BE all platforms? I don't get it.

Orayn

I've read the original quote about PC like a hundred times and I still can't understand it... can someone translate it to English.

According to the people upstairs, we play on all platforms... what does that even mean.

Activision is targeting all platforms, or they consider consoles to BE all platforms? I don't get it.

He's saying they have the game running on PC and people presumably play that version in their current phase of testing and enjoy it that way. Presumably, that enjoyment could translate to a PC version for consumers at some point.

Salsa

Game is bound to be a success so I dont see a reason why it wont happen within the first year.

The question is wether you'll be able to play with console folk, that'd be great

MrBig

Bungie's new engine is platform agnostic, meaning they can build it to run on whatever they want with relatively little effort on the development side of things. The quote is the usual no confirmation/denial of availability line.

Nokterian

Fully agreed. The age of the single player game is definitely coming to an end.

tumblr_lnz8ldCu5j1qi8p9g.gif

Not really,looking in far in to the bright future of Witcher 3,Cyberpunk 2077,Bioshock Infinite,Metro Last Light,South Park The Stick of Truth. A glorious year it will be and more to come!

Bungie's new engine is platform agnostic, meaning they can build it to run on whatever they want with relatively little effort on the development side of things. The quote is the usual no confirmation/denial of availability line.
Well that's what I thought, but "people upstairs" often refers to management so I wasn't sure where they were going with that.

MrBig

Well that's what I thought, but "people upstairs" often refers to management so I wasn't sure where they were going with that.

The comment was probably meant in the literal sense, as the bottom floor of the Bungie studio is the reception room/lounge/theater where the reporters were and then the dev team is on the floor above, where they can deploy a build onto whatever they want for dev/testing

Why do i get the vibe that its not that people dont want this type of game, you dont want this type of game from Bungie.

Bungie should only make games that have a major single player focus?

Cyberia

A lot of news on Bungie's new shooter Destiny has come out this morning, and while it looks like an interesting game, their hasn't been a PC version announced by the Halo developer. Something said by the studio's co-founder, Jason Jones may bring some light as to why their might not be a PC version of Destiny.

Jones says:
''We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jason Jones told us. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to.''

I don't know about you, but I play shooters with a mouse and keyboard, and it's because I want to. I have a 360 controller for my PC, but I rarely use it. I have tried playing some shooters on my girlfriends PlayStation 3, and I can't stand it. I know I am not alone here, and that there are thousands if not millions of gamers who prefer using a mouse and keyboard.

I also liked old-school shooters that had health packs and the choice to quick save when I wanted to. There are still shooters that don't follow the Halo formula like Max Payne 3 that are very successful. Halo is a great game, but it's a bold statement to say that we don't want to play shooters the way we used to.

http://www.destructoid.com/bungie-s...use-keyboard-245428.phtml#PK1AiU2mA81ApQ04.99

Brofield

Mass Effect 3: Special Edition says Hi !!!

I don't know why, but that had me chuckling.

Seriously though, I still have hope for Wii U. I mean, My Body Is Ready joke, plus a chain chomp soccer ball underneath one of the dev's computers.

By no rights a guarantee, but at least I'm more willing to believe their whole platform agnostic stance and put in an attempt in porting the game over.

unless it's a ploy to fool us nintendo fans into a false sense of third party support

liezryou

Don't see how you can make an MMO type game without it being on PC. But who knows what bungie will come up with. I really hope to see it on PC seeing as i don't plan on buying next gen consoles anytime in the foreseeable future.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So we all want our FPS with a two weapon limit, recharging health, terrible auto-save checkpoints, and controllers.

It's like they're in my mind what is this black magic omg

Top Bottom