• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie releases Destiny Trailer: "The Moon", beta coming [Up: Game release in Spring]

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Why only french audio? I remember your site used to have english and french version, and the french one would be clearly marked as french.

Yeah I didn't think it was French audio (which is very rare for a trailer) so I didn't mark it. We are putting the UK version up in a few minutes. Sorry.

Destiny is the one next gen game that is coming that has been consistent visually since the early reveal (as opposed to Watchdogs, deepdown etc).

broony

Destiny is the one next gen game that is coming that has been consistent visually since the early reveal (as opposed to Watchdogs, deepdown etc).

The visuals have actually got better as time has gone on. The original announcement at the PS4 event doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the stuff in the new moon trailer.

Krisars

Banned
Wait... when did they say it comes out in spring?

oneofswords2.jpg

LtOrange

I really hope the information flow starts to pick up now with the beta announcement. They have been extremely vague about the game mechanics up to this point.

Q&A on Destiny with DeeJ:

@bo_srwa_w_fnila: How does joining a public event work? (Source)

DeeJ: To join a public event, all you have to do is get within range, and open fire. No lobbies. No loading screens. The frontier is open, and filled with encounters you can join, or skip right past, on your way to something you’ve deemed momentarily more important.

@LazySigh: Will there be PvP? (Source)

DeeJ: Yup! We’re already thumping each other’s skulls in studio-wide playtests, battling other Guardians for glory, bragging rights, and rewards. All the gear you earn in competitive multiplayer can be taken into other modes, too (and vice versa)!

@jaydawg6958: I like to play games solo often. How much can I do alone? (Source)

DeeJ: Ah, the proverbial Lone Wolf. You can experience Destiny’s story as a party of one, assuming you’re that much of a badass. Destiny will never require you to team up with other people in campaign missions. You’ll see other players along the way, but you can choose to ignore them. That said, we think you’ll find that playing with other Guardians is quick, painless, and a ton of fun. It’s always your choice, though.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/02/destiny-your-questions-answered/

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how difficulty levels will work I Destiny. I mean, I'm assuming it won't have selectable difficulties like Normal, Heroic, and Legendary. So will some areas just be way harder? Will enemy difficulty be based entirely on how leveled up they are?

SpyGuy239

can someone please explain to me why I am not at all excited by what I am seeing?

It looks just like another generic shooter/Halo type shooter that's MMO and Social Friendly. The graphics look good, but they are by no means fantastic or anything. Gunplay looks decent but that's about it.

Those of you so excited by this, can you tell me what exactly in the trailer excites you?

I'm feeling a little left out here!

Krisars

Banned
can someone please explain to me why I am not at all excited by what I am seeing?

It looks just like another generic shooter/Halo type shooter that's MMO and Social Friendly. The graphics look good, but they are by no means fantastic or anything. Gunplay looks decent but that's about it.

Those of you so excited by this, can you tell me what exactly in the trailer excites you?

Actually, I'm excited by what I saw so far about Destiny. There was a gameplay vid from E3 that made me looking forward to it.

Let's just say that the premise of Destiny is exciting to me and given it entices players to play cooperatively, the public events, exploring the solar system's frontier really makes me astonished about it.

I'm on the fence on competitive multiplayer, though. I'd wait and see what it will offer, but I'm not very confident about it since Reach's MP was a mess IMO.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Spring? Like when would that be? Around April? May? Spring is too vague for me.
Between late March and late June. I imagine we'll get a more solid date by the time the beta launches earlier in the year.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I don't like the gunplay in most "MMO" or "RPG" shooters - but I am drawn to the progression and social aspects, which always take first place in existing games at the expense of fun mechanics. So the fact that a trusted dev is making something like this with a near cast-iron guarantee of excellent gunplay and movement makes it attractive to me on principle.

There's something very odd about the running/jogging animation. I'm guessing Bungie still don't mo-cap?

Heh.

Bungie has an in-house motion-capture studio (run by the super friendly Troy McFarland) and a team of skilled animators - including 11-year Pixar veteran Tom Sanocki.

I went on a full tour of Bungie in August and the mo-cap studio (dubbed "The Spandex Palace") is pretty badass and a ton of fun to goof around in. Troy let me shoot invisible enemies with his handmade wireframe Assault Rifle prop (complete with Nintendo Zapper™ handle/trigger) before handing me the weighted weed-trimmer/wooden rig Bungie used for Jorge's Heavy Machine Gun in Reach. We took turns playing with a golf club covered in reflective markers, which let me see exactly how terrible my golf swing looks in three dimensions!

I've always been impressed by Bungie animations, but that's just my opinion - you're entitled to your own. :)

DeviantBoi

Hadn't pre-ordered, but the beta announcement made me do it right away.

So sometime before May 2014... around the same time as inFamous: Second Son.

Mascot

Heh.

Bungie has an in-house motion-capture studio (run by the super friendly Troy McFarland) and a team of skilled animators - including 11-year Pixar veteran Tom Sanocki.

I went on a full tour of Bungie in August and the mo-cap studio (dubbed "The Spandex Palace") is pretty badass and a ton of fun to goof around in. Troy let me shoot invisible enemies with his handmade wireframe Assault Rifle prop (complete with Nintendo Zapper™ handle/trigger) before handing me the weighted weed-trimmer/wooden rig Bungie used for Jorge's Heavy Machine Gun in Reach. We took turns playing with a golf club covered in reflective markers, which let me see exactly how terrible my golf swing looks in three dimensions!

I've always been impressed by Bungie animations, but that's just my opinion - you're entitled to your own. :)

Wow - I'm amazed..!
Which was the first Halo they used this on?

Wow - I'm amazed..!
Which was the first Halo they used this on?

I believe Halo: Reach is the only Bungie game before Destiny to use full performance capture. For earlier games they recorded reference videos (i.e. pantomiming with props - no reflective dots) upstairs at the Kirkland office, but they didn't have a proper mo-cap studio until they started moving into the Bellevue building in early 2010. I could be wrong about that though.

-------
Troy told me a lot of neat details about the process; he was really proud of the system they used and the props/scenery he had built - his handmade staircase was completely adjustable and allowed him to match the exact depth and spacing of whatever in-game stairs the artists upstairs had built. I know that sounds like a silly little detail, but it was obvious a lot of effort had been put into keeping things flexible.

He seemed really happy that the mo-cap studio is right there in Bungie's headquarters. A lot of game developers have to go off-site to some contractor's warehouse to do a motion capture session, which can make scheduling an issue. The Bungie animators are able to come up with an idea at their desk, then just walk downstairs to test it out and record the results.

-------
Naturally, I'm biased, but I can't wait to see more of Destiny's characters in action, especially during cutscenes. The reloading animations shown so far have been very impressive.

Mascot

I believe Halo: Reach is the only Bungie game before Destiny to use full performance capture. For earlier games they recorded reference videos (i.e. pantomiming with props - no reflective dots) upstairs at the Kirkland office, but they didn't have a proper mo-cap studio until they started moving into the Bellevue building in early 2010. I could be wrong about that though.

Makes sense. The animations in earlier Halos were laughable, particularly in cut-scenes.

Still think the running in Destiny looks a little odd though - like they are bouncing on a foam floor or wearing spring-heeled boots. Space gravity, I guess.

Wizman23

Banned
My most hyped Xbox One game. Going to pre order just to get in the beta and then cancel sometime next year so I can go the digital download route. I think most people in this thread that are doubting this game have never played a Bungie game. I can't wait to hear about our spaceships/ vehicles. If you remember in the E3 demo a higher level fire team came in to help out and they were all on Star Wars type vehicles.

Arnie

I don't like the gunplay in most "MMO" or "RPG" shooters - but I am drawn to the progression and social aspects, which always take first place in existing games at the expense of fun mechanics. So the fact that a trusted dev is making something like this with a near cast-iron guarantee of excellent gunplay and movement makes it attractive to me on principle.

I get what you're saying, but their last outing was Reach.

As a studio Bungie have demonstrated on numerous occasions that they're capable of crafting superlative gunplay, at least on consoles. But given that their last creation championed design decisions which had a negative impact (subjective, of course) on both movement and gunplay, I'm somewhat cautious.

That and the inclusion of aiming down the sights, a mechanic I inherently dislike because of its debilitating effect on player movement. If one studio is going to crack it, though, it's probs Bungie.

have you seen destiny?

Yep. I love the artstyle of their games, simple but clean and beautiful.
Yes, i also prefer not shader heavy engines with a lot of polys, good IQ without artifacts and consistent frame rate with good latency.The contrary to this is a UE3 game.
The perfect engine is one without shaders in fact: million of textured polys raytraced.

Hadn't pre-ordered, but the beta announcement made me do it right away.

So sometime before May 2014... around the same time as inFamous: Second Son.
Infamous is confirmed for February.

This will be sometime in March - May. Probably closer to May if I was to guess.

Special C

I want to the beta but want the game as DD so I can fire it up anytime. Is there a way to do this in UK?

I'm getting DD too, but I pre-ordered at Amazon who doesn't charge you until they ship. I pre-ordered last night but I don't have the code yet. I'll just cancel my pre-order once I get it or shortly before release to play it safe.

skdoo

Banned
Serious question... they aren't going to gimp the PS4 version to be inline with the XB1 are they? I would hope not, since the PS4 appears to be the lead platform for development, AFTER PC.

Trying to head off the PC is GOD posts...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I get what you're saying, but their last outing was Reach.

As a studio Bungie have demonstrated on numerous occasions that they're capable of crafting superlative gunplay, at least on consoles. But given that their last creation championed design decisions which had a negative impact (subjective, of course) on both movement and gunplay, I'm somewhat cautious.

That and the inclusion of aiming down the sights, a mechanic I inherently dislike because of its debilitating effect on player movement. If one studio is going to crack it, though, it's probs Bungie.

Even if I agreed with you about Reach, I would STILL say that Reach has better gunplay and movement than any action-oriented RPG. That's not a criticism of those existing games, but rather an observation about where the balance of resources goes (and that's in part because their existing audiences demand it).

ElRenoRaven

Serious question... they aren't going to gimp the PS4 version to be inline with the XB1 are they? I would hope not, since the PS4 appears to be the lead platform for development, AFTER PC.

Trying to head off the PC is GOD posts...

Bungie don't play that. I've never seen then intentionally gimp a version to make the other look better.

skdoo

Banned
Bungie don't play that. I've never seen then intentionally gimp a version to make the other look better.

Awesome. I am preordering on Amazon, then will cancel because I am going digital download for everything this generation.

Ogimachi

Even if I agreed with you about Reach, I would STILL say that Reach has better gunplay and movement than any action-oriented RPG. That's not a criticism of those existing games, but rather an observation about where the balance of resources goes (and that's in part because their existing audiences demand it).
Well, there's only Borderlands, Fallout and Deus Ex to compare with, and only Borderlands had nearly as much focus on gunplay. That said, you're probably right on Reach being better, but you're right about balance of resources too, so it's not a fair comparison, is it?

Top Bottom