• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"By numbers, StarCraft is bigger than the NHL" - Blizzard CEO

JWong

Banned
Ha ha ha, no.

Starcraft pro matches maybe happen once a month.
NHL games happen every two days for a 6 month season.

On average, people would be watching more of something that happens more often, and that's not even counting the peaks.

UberTag

probably

how many non-hockey fans can even name what teams wayne gretzky played for
I bet some hockey diehards couldn't name ALL of the teams Gretzky played for. Sure the Edmonton Oilers and Los Angeles Kings are easy... but you'll stump others on the New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues... and if you want to get ultra-obscure there's also the Indianapolis Racers and the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

gretzky_wayne325.jpg

Hockey deserves way more love than it gets. It's a real shame to see such a great sport become so marginalized and ignored.

It's too fast for Americans. It's telling when a network has to highlight the puck because Americans are too used to shitty snail paced sports.

Y-Z

Ha ha ha, no.

Starcraft pro matches maybe happen once a month.
NHL games happen every two days for a 6 month season.

On average, people would be watching more of something that happens more often, and that's not even counting the peaks.

This is not correct. There is a major tournament every month indeed. But there are also starcraft leagues like NASL, IPL and GSL that broadcast multiple times a week during their seasons.

Tiktaalik

I would love to see those numbers.

The only way I could see it coming close would be if Starcraft popularity outside of the US is that consistently strong. Even though hockey is pretty popular in a number of European countries I don't know how much of an impact the NHL has there.

I can't believe Starcraft NA popularity exceeds NHL.

It's too fast for Americans. It's telling when a network has to highlight the puck because Americans are too used to shitty snail paced sports.

This is what Canadians would like to believe, sure. One of the most watched sports in the US is car racing. Real slow. Perhaps the problem with the NHL's horrible brand of hockey is the NHL's horrible brand of hockey.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

So then what does that say about the rest of the world where hockey viewership is even lower?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hey, now compare Starcraft Esports player contracts to those of NHL players.

Orca

I bet some hockey diehards couldn't name ALL of the teams Gretzky played for. Sure the Edmonton Oilers and Los Angeles Kings are easy... but you'll stump others on the New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues... and if you want to get ultra-obscure there's also the Indianapolis Racers and the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

gretzky_wayne325.jpg

That's okay - if you ask Gretzky, he'd leave out St. Louis too.

Haunted

esports aw yeah

I do like ice hockey, though.

Does anyone outside Canada care about hockey?
Ice hockey is particularly huge in Sweden, Finland, the Czech Republic and Russia.

Don't know about the NHL, though. In Germany for example, the national DEL is much more popular than the NHL. Though it's the international tournaments (Euro, World Cup, Olympics etc) that get the biggest viewership numbers some attention, not really regular league games.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
This is what Canadians would like to believe, sure. One of the most watched sports in the US is car racing. Real slow. Perhaps the problem with the NHL's horrible brand of hockey is the NHL's horrible brand of hockey.

Lol. Watching slotcars go around an oval isn't too hard either.

Is it wrong that I think that both Starcraft and Hockey are endlessly more entertaining then most more popular competitive sports?

Why can't we be friends.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I thought the FOX puck was hilarious! I think in this day and age you could possibly toggle that shit.

I suppose it's fine to compare viewership, but if you're going to compare the NHL to gaming, I want to see StarCraft fill an 18k arena on a regular basis on top of that. Could South Korea do that? I know it's big, but I don't know if it's that big.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Watching cars go around in a circle is comparable to hockey?

you're comparing live concurrent viewers to total viewers over time

Well, from 2010, "Two-thirds of the country, or 22 million people, were watching when Sidney Crosby scored the winning goal."
I'm assuming that quote means people tuning in live at the time that goal was scored. It's not NHL, but it's hockey, and that's just Canadian numbers.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/olympics/2010/03/01/goldmedal_hockey_game_watched_by_record_166_million.html

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i like both hockey and starcraft as an e-sport

but you're an idiot if you think starcraft is in the same league as the NHL... even in viewership.

JWong

Banned

Ummm when Nascar's Indianapolis is at 300 thousand capacity, while the biggest football stadium in the world, North Korea's May Day stadium at 150 thousand, nothing can beat Nascar for obvious reasons.

But does that mean Nascar bigger than Football (Soccer)? HELL NO!

I would love to see those numbers.

The only way I could see it coming close would be if Starcraft popularity outside of the US is that consistently strong. Even though hockey is pretty popular in a number of European countries I don't know how much of an impact the NHL has there.

I can't believe Starcraft NA popularity exceeds NHL.

Its probably Starcraft global popularity vs NHL (which is just a single hockey league), which perhaps may be possible but I still doubt it.

Ummm when Nascar's Indianapolis is at 300 thousand capacity, while the biggest football stadium in the world, North Korea's May Day stadium at 150 thousand, nothing can beat Nascar for obvious reasons.

But does that mean Nascar bigger than Football (Soccer)? HELL NO!

Did you even read the posts your were responding to?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
i like both hockey and starcraft as an e-sport

but you're an idiot if you think starcraft is in the same league as the NHL... even in viewership.

At least Blizzard isn't supporting a bankrupt franchise that they refuse to move out of a city that doesn't give a shit about hockey!

kinger256

MLS is nowhere close to popularity in the US as the NHL. NHL ratings are local ratings are a lot closer to the NBA than the MLS. the disparity in value of national TV deals also shows this.

DjyFyPT.png

Px3Jb7l.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
At least Blizzard isn't supporting a bankrupt franchise that they refuse to move out of a city that doesn't give a shit about hockey!

as much as I hate the coyotes, their revenue is likely still higher than all the starcraft prize pots combined... and that's a sad franchise which will be moving soon

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
as much as I hate the coyotes, their revenue is likely still higher than all the starcraft prize pots combined... and that's a sad franchise which will be moving soon

Sucks they moved there in the first place.

Hartford too.

MLS is nowhere close to popularity in the US as the NHL. NHL ratings are local ratings are a lot closer to the NBA than the MLS. the disparity in value of national TV deals also shows this.

DjyFyPT.png

Px3Jb7l.png

am i reading this right, only 4000 households watch panthers games

JWong

Banned
Did you even read the posts your were responding to?

Yes, you said US watch motor sports (Nascar) more than hockey because of poor NHL branding. And I just pointed out that the stadium size makes a huge difference when talking about which sport is most watched.

Nascar is the most watched spectator sport in the world.

Point is, average > concurrent.

zugzug

Sounds to me like Mike Morhaime does not have a grasp on current day NHL versus NHL of the 1980's. Making a statement in today that your beating NHL is like having anyone beat up a 1 year old easy target is easy.

I expect Kotick to say this but I do not expect Morhaime to say this.

The NHL continues to fuck themselves with shitty TV deals over the years so this isn't that surprising.

They should see if this holds true during the playoffs though...

SupaNaab

As a Canadian I never found that to be the case. Maybe its more popular where you live but honestly I have met just as many football (NFL) fans as I have met hockey fans. In fact, probably more NFL fans.

I live in the southern Ontario (Niagara). There's gotta be some kind of local hockey game (theres so many divisions) going on every night of the week. Even my neighbours are out everyday playing in parking lots and streets. I'd say even kids play hockey on the streets more than they play in playgrounds ;x

FyreWulff

When you have an ice-based league that tries to establish teams in the fucking desert, it's fairly easy to do this.

meanwhile states that actually experience snow just throw endless money at college teams because the NHL apparently doesn't want to build out where there's, you know, an ability to play it outside

SummitAve

Banned
I live in the southern Ontario (Niagara). There's gotta be some kind of local hockey game (theres so many divisions) going on every night of the week. Even my neighbours are out everyday in playing parking lots and streets. I'd say even kids play hockey on the streets more than they play in playgrounds ;x

Just about the same holds true here in Minnesota. Hockey is huge on every level, male and female.

Deadly

Sounds to me like Mike Morhaime does not have a grasp on current day NHL versus NHL of the 1980's. Making a statement in today that your beating NHL is like having anyone beat up a 1 year old easy target is easy.

I expect Kotick to say this but I do not expect Morhaime to say this.
Except he didn't make the statement the other guy did.

I live in the southern Ontario (Niagara). There's gotta be some kind of local hockey game (theres so many divisions) going on every night of the week. Even my neighbours are out everyday in playing parking lots and streets. I'd say even kids play hockey on the streets more than they play in playgrounds ;x

As a kid I used to play almost every day during winter at the local community park's hockey ring in Ottawa, but I just never noticed the insane popularity hockey is supposed to have in Canada. It is definitely popular, much more popular here than in the US, but I'm not sure it actually eclipses football. For some reason when I'm passing by people at the university I hear much more discussion about the NFL. Maybe its cause NHL is sucking this season?

Top Bottom